PDA

View Full Version : Resort Snob

jokat
07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
So the post in Theme Parks about being a "Disney snob" finally convinced me to post this after thinking about it for some time.

Hi. My user name is jokat, and I'm a resort snob. I haven't been to Disney in almost three years and it's getting a little hard to bear. I need a fix. So, do you think a self-professed resort snob can stay happily at one of the value resorts? Is it "worth" the savings?

I fully realize the following:
* Any place at Disney is better than not going to Disney
* We really don't spend that much time actually in the room
* There are still beds, showers, food, and transportation.

Our family includes DH, DD (almost 6), and me. Would love to hear some detailed comparisons from those who have stayed at values as well as mods and deluxe resorts. Thanks for listening, and for any feedback you think will help! :help:

faline
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
We've stayed everywhere from All Stars to Grand Floridian. I can honestly stay I've enjoyed every resort - from value to deluxe to home away from home. When we were on a tighter budget, we stayed at value resorts. It was all good and the bottom line was, we were in Disney and enjoyed the parks and all Disney has to offer regardless of where "home" was for that trip!

jpH/keD
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
We have ONLY stayed at the value resorts. I cannot justify spending double and sometimes triple the costs for a room, bed and shower.

We are on the go the whole time during the day and to just sleep and get up just wasnt worth all that extra money for us.

However, we went on our last trip during Thanksgiving week. I had no idea how crowded it was. THe busses were horribly packed and the lines to get on them were worse than horrible. When we do go back I would LOVE to stay at a monorail resort simply for the ease of travel back and forth.

In closing, if you dont go at a slammed-busy time the values are fine. If you choose a busier time, it is something to consider for sure!

Good luck and enjoy!! I hope it is still magical either way!!

cather74
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I have stayed at Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Poly (our favorite) All Star Movies and Music, and POFQ. Although the Poly is amazing and the place we stay the most, the value and moderate resorts are fun in their own way. Never had a bad time and enjoyed the different memories these places helped create. You are right, some Disney is better than no Disney!:number1:

mariak
07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I was so glad to see this thread! This is something we have thought of quite a bit. As far as resort properties go, we have only stayed at The Wilderness Lodge, The Polynesian, and The Contemporary. We have friends who ONLY stay at the All Star resorts and Pop. As a result, they get to go quite a bit and have even purchased Annual passes a couple of times. I do feel like a snob ---not having stayed at one of the Value or Moderates. But, when it comes down to it, we LOVE the convenience of the Deluxe resorts, I don’t like outside entrances, and I’ve heard that the value and moderates have only double beds with small, bad pillows. We’re not extra-large people. But we like a comfy bed with space to stretch out after a long day in the parks....especially with two DDs who are bed hogs!

We keep saying that, once we get our annual passes (this Sept...Yay!), we’ll drive down a time or two. And, if we drive, we won’t mind staying at the values or moderates because we won’t have to rely solely on the busses. But, whenever I mention that to my friend (who always stays at the VRs), she always tells me that I won’t be happy. She says that it would be hard to go from “deluxe” to “value” or “moderate” but, that if we had started with those a long time ago, we’d probably be fine. That makes me a little nervous about staying in those simply because, even though we have really liked all the Deluxe resorts that we’ve stayed in, we’ve had our share of housekeeping issues with all of them…including a pair of underwear(from a previous guest) left on the bathroom floor, behind the toilet at the Polynesian (our favorite resort)! :sick:..... But that’s all for a different thread.

I have heard that the Coronado was going to replace their double beds with queens. Does anyone know if that’s true? I still would like to try a “value” and a “moderate” for the experience and as a point of reference. Any recommendations?

disneydeb
07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Coronado was one of the first moderates to go to Queen beds!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
07-05-2011, 10:32 PM
You might consider the Swan/Dolphin resorts. I prefer them to Disney's moderates for the great rooms and location, though perhaps lacking in some of the Disney magic. They usually have great prices/discounts, and they do participate in Disney transportation and Extra Magic Hours (though not Dining Plans).

PirateLover
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I understand your concern. You do lose some convenience, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a HUGE deal. I've stayed at All Star Movies once and Pop Century twice. I've also stayed at Polynesian 3 times, Wilderness Lodge, and Caribbean Beach Resort. It's nice to save the cash at the values if you're not planning on using any of the extras the deluxes have to offer. The main thing is the attitude you take towards it. Try not to be negative going into it, but at the same time, be realistic that it won't be at the same level as the deluxes. The only resort we vowed to never stay at again was Caribbean Beach Resort, which is a moderate! And plenty of people have had fantastic experience there... so I think you can try the values. :thumbsup:

mariak
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Coronado was one of the first moderates to go to Queen beds!:thumbsup:

Thank you so much! This will be very helpful next May when we "bite the bullet"- so to speak. I'm actually looking forward to staying someplace new...and having a car down there again!

Thanks Again! :mickey:

alaMode
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
We started out Deluxe, tried Value a couple of times, then went back to Deluxe. We've never stayed at a Moderate resort-I think I read here that people felt they offered the least value for the $$$.

We tried Pop Century because I was inspired to try to vacation as inexpensively as possible by by my fellow Intercotees! We really enjoyed our stays at Pop Century. We went during off-peak season (early May & early December) and the buses were fine. I actually liked the straight-forward pool-DS had so much fun and made some new friends. I did pay for a preferred room right off the Hippy Dippy Pool on the ground floor. The beds are smaller and we didn't get a refrigerator.I didn't like having to pay extra for things you should be able to take for granted at any hotel/motel.

We went back to Deluxe because I discovered how (relatively) inexpensively we could stay at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge and still enjoy all the comfort and convenience of a nicer
resort.

We'll be staying at the WL in October, but next year we want to try the Beach Club, which seems to be one of the most expensive resorts. DS is dying to try that pool! After that maybe we'll give Art of Animation a try-it looks like it's going to be pretty cool!

I think if you adjust your expectations, you'll be fine!

BigRedDad
07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I would like to be a "snob", but it does not have much value for my money at WDW. If there was a benefit that I would utilize to stay at a Deluxe resort, then my decision would change.

For us, a resort is simply to sleep, shower, and swim. If there was a "front of the line" advantage to a Deluxe similar to Universal Studios' Express Pass, then I would go Deluxe all the time.

buzznwoodysmom
07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
We have stayed at all levels, value to deluxe, and even DVC, and have enjoyed every vacation.

However, I guess you could call us resort snobs, as we've come to the realization that we are no longer happy at the value resorts. Since we go to WDW often, and have been so many times, we find ourselves spending more and more time at the resort on each trip. There is just no reason we'd want to spend more time at one of the values. There really isn't a lot to do at the values, no pool slide, no lobby to explore. My kids enjoy escaping to the resort for a swim and they love, love, love having a pool slide. Plus as my kids get older, and bigger, we were beginning to feel cramped in the value rooms.

So for us I think if it ever came down to it, we'd rather hold off on the trip till we could save up enough for at least a moderate than stay at a value. Now if given the choice of value or don't go at all, we'd pick a value.

KODABEAR
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
:vacation::old::knit:Because we live only 2 hrs away and have lots of relatives that come to visit WDW we've been able to stay at all the resorts. Depending on the budget of our visitors we've enjoyed every stay, at every level. When we go for our yearly anniversary trip, Granpa and I splurg and stay at an EPCOT resort. :cloud9: I found that investigating each resort before we stay makes each an adventure by it self. We enjoy Hidden Mickey's, shops and especially meeting new friends! :cloud9:

Dulcee
07-06-2011, 09:43 AM
We've done deluxes and moderates. We've discussed staying at the values and if it meant the difference between going and not going I'd probably relent but we've always found that as much as we think about we aren't happy with the theming at the values.

The moderates work for us. Its a price I can feel comfortable with and to be honest I think they are the quietest resorts. While I love, love, love Poly I have a hard time justifying the price.

princessgirls
07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I've run the numbers...we are a family of 4. Our girls are 10 & 9 years old. We are an active family who has a lot of interests. It basically boils down for us, if we can do a value I will get another week + for us of vacation during the year. We typically like to take two solid weeks a year for trips. One in March and one in August, and then do day trips and other stuff throughout the year.
This year, we are doing a week at the beach in July and 10 days in Disney in August at the Pop. We are getting Disney Dining, Park hoppers, and waterparks and more with our package, and because it is at the end of August it was a GREAT price:thumbsup:. Is August for everyone...NO...It's hot!!!! The Pop is fine....booking at the Pop got me an extra 3 days in WDW time!!! My original thought was the POFQ which I just LOVE, but running the numbers, I got more staying at the Pop. Mind you...no fridge, but you know what...it's ALL GOOD! We really just sleep and shower in the room. I am getting a Garden Grocer delivery of water and quick grab breakfast items, and will do laundry every couple of days (early) to make living in small quarters a little easier. I stayed in a beautiful villa at the Sheraton Vistana last year and while it was large and nice, I wasn't happy there because I wasn't on Disney Property.
IF the sky was the limit...I'd be in the Poly or Beach Club!!!!! Maybe one day...for now, I'm feeling Blessed to be going to WDW for 10 days!!! LOVING THE POP CENTURY!!!
Julie:mickey:

HeadFairyInCharge
07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I guess I am a resort snob... when we get the opportunity to travel with the kids it has to be relaxing in some way...even if going to Disney. I consider Disney an event rather than a vacation :mickey: My kids love the pool, and the extra perks on restaurant choices at the Deluxe Resorts are just above what is offered at the Value level. We have picked less busy times of year and really wait for the Pin codes or offers for free dining to come into the picture. I have a soon to be 8 and 5 yr old daughters, I tried convincing myself at the Grand Floridian last year I didn't need a stroller ... wrong, Even with the Monorail. We did love the monorail over the buses. Only used a bus to do HS and Downtown Disney. It was awesome. :eat:We were able to bump to GF during free dining offer in the Fall and we shortened trip to 5 nights not 7, got a club level room and deluxe dining upgrade which was very inexpensive to do and gave us lots of better options. Character Breakfasts and Signature Restaurant dinners with all the table services.
Just have to list the pros and cons of each resort level. For my family convenience is key, we like good food not much counter service and definitely not spending 12 hours in the Parks they are still too young for that. :tink:

MOJoe
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I confess i'm a little snobish. When i vacation at places other than WDW, i like to stay in the best resort-hotel in the area. And at WDW, i prefer the same. Though to be fair, the budget isn't always there, so i have tried all resort levels.

I have stayed at All Star Music, and wasn't disappointed. But i wasn't dying to stay there again either. The value resorts just feel too crowded and busy. It's like you never really leave the parks. So i'm not likely to return. But if i had to either stay value or not go, i would go, but spend the extra few dollars for a preferred location.

I've been to POFQ, and didn't have any concerns there. The amenities, like a pool slide, hot tub, bar and entertainment far exceeded the nominal extra cost over the value catagory. So i see myself returning to a Mod sometime.

Of course, i love the BC, Swan and Dolphin, and now the WL. (Sorry Contemporary) And would return to these and other Deluxe resorts in a heartbeat.

Everyone has there own budget and desired level of comfort. So someone's vacation of a lifetime at Pop, can't really be compared to my stay at the Beach Club. The big choice is really, "do we go?" Then you can pick where you stay based on your budget. But if your choice is not to go until you can afford at least moderate accomodations, then that is a good choice for you. It's O.K. to be a snob.

A Big Kid
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Chalk me up as a "resort snob."

Having stayed at the All Stars once and then the Pop Century once (giving values a "second chance"), I just cant do it again.

The food courts are mad houses. They seem populated by people who "dont get out much." I get sickened by people reaching across my tray of food to grab something.

Noise on top of noise throughout the resort. I want to relax when I get back to the resort.

Crowded bus stops.

Smaller rooms with run of the mill decor.

Fewer dining choices with longer distances to the parks.

I am lucky enough to be in a place in life that I can afford a little more "luxury."

princessgirls
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Chalk me up as a "resort snob."

Having stayed at the All Stars once and then the Pop Century once (giving values a "second chance"), I just cant do it again.

The food courts are mad houses. They seem populated by people who "dont get out much." I get sickened by people reaching across my tray of food to grab something.

Noise on top of noise throughout the resort. I want to relax when I get back to the resort.

Crowded bus stops.

Smaller rooms with run of the mill decor.

Fewer dining choices with longer distances to the parks.

I am lucky enough to be in a place in life that I can afford a little more "luxury."

Personally...I can't handle the food court. The morning rush and people standing around deciding is enough to put me over the edge....We hit the food court on the way out and in for beverage refills. Way to much confusion. I will be doing a Grocery Order for some grab and go breakfast foods, and we will be eating nice lunches in the parks.
Julie:mickey:

mickey_M_lvr
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
The previous times we have gone it was to Coronado then Pop Century, then back to Coronado. For the time that you spend actually in your room paying extra for moderate or deluxe is kind of silly. However... I will never stay at a value resort again. It is not that I am a resort snob. I found that Pop Century was very noisy. The walls were paper thin so for the length of our stay all we heard was the motor that runs the elevator (our room was kiddie corner to the elevators). Also at about 10 pm everynight it was the parade of heelies. Kids of all ages rolling down the hallways in their heelies. Disney really needs to outlaw them. So besides the noise the wait in line for the buses was a lot longer and forget about getting breakfast at the food court. The lines for Peter Pan's flight in MK during peak summer hours are shorter than those at the food court at about 7 am.

Coronado on the other hand was very quiet. In our 2 stays at Coronado we never had to wait for the next bus. Also the lines for food in the am were not very long. The other thing was that at least at the moderate and deluxe resorts there is more food choices/restaurants.

Our next trip is to the French Quarter. We will see how that compares to the others. I am hoping that since it is the smallest of the resorts that it will be quieter and less crowded.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I think if we are all honest we would all rather stay at a Deluxe if we could afford it.

Having said that, I think the thing that irritates me the most about friends and others about the resorts is when they say that the values are horrible and they cannot stay in a value resort. The truth is they are resort snobs and do not want to stay in values. I have never had a problem with the values they are clean, fun themed although smaller rooms. Yes you do not get extra space and perks you get with Deluxe but they are by no means horrible.

So, I don't consider myself a resort snob....well, unless you are comparing staying onsite to offsite and that's a different story.:D

brownie
07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
We spend most of our time in the parks, so it doesn't make sense for us to spend more on our hotel. A value resort is just fine for us. A place to sleep, food, and a pool is all we really need outside the parks.

beksy
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I have stayed at all 3 levels and would stay at any if it meant being able to go to Disney. If I was going by myself or with healthy family I would be happy at a value or moderate. I really enjoy POFQ and I don't spend much time in the room so values work for me too. However, lately my mom has been going with us. She has several health problems and needs an ECV. Last time my sister had to have one as well. It is just easier on us to stay at Deluxe, especially on the monorail. Mom still has trouble with using the buses with the ECV, and when we had 2 it could be complicated. So to give her peace of mind, we try to stay deluxe so she can use the monorail for MK and EC and only needs the bus for AK and DHS. This time we are staying at WL for the first time and will use the boats to get to MK and then the monorail to the TTC to get to EC. It takes longer but is easier on Mom. For me, her peace of mind and not worrying the entire trip about busses makes up for the difference in price. If we do have to stay at a cheaper resort, we go moderate so that the room doesn't seem as crowded with the ECV.

darthmacho
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
After staying at Wilderness Lodge in 1998 and Coronado Springs in 1999, and having visited several other resorts, I vowed I would NEVER stay at one of the value resorts. They were just too lowbrow and poorly themed for my taste.

When 2003 came around, and we had the opportunity to go to WDW, so long as we stayed at an All Star resort, I decided I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. We chose All Stars Music, and off we went. We loved every minute of it! My opinion was completely changed.

I still prefer moderates, and would love to stay at a deluxe, but if it means a longer stay or not going at all otherwise, I'd stay at a value any day. In fact, I'm plotting a 14 day trip for next year, and the only way to pull it off is to go value. The question right now is, which one, ASMu again, Pop, or perhaps Art of Animation?

WDW here we come! :mickey:

Goofster
07-06-2011, 01:41 PM
We have stayed at all levels, value to deluxe, and even DVC, and have enjoyed every vacation.

However, I guess you could call us resort snobs, as we've come to the realization that we are no longer happy at the value resorts. Since we go to WDW often, and have been so many times, we find ourselves spending more and more time at the resort on each trip. There is just no reason we'd want to spend more time at one of the values. There really isn't a lot to do at the values, no pool slide, no lobby to explore. My kids enjoy escaping to the resort for a swim and they love, love, love having a pool slide. Plus as my kids get older, and bigger, we were beginning to feel cramped in the value rooms.

:ditto:

We prefer the deluxes/moderates for the exact same reasons.

RBrooksC
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I would rather stay in a MOD or DLX resort due to the room size and extra amenities. Actually, for me the Deluxe is worth it for the room size, rooms opening up to an inside hallway, more dining options, and better locations on property. When I see where the value resorts are on property, I feel they are so far away from everything.

The buses would never be a concern for me since we always rent a car but it still seems like quite a hike to get places.

DisneyorBust
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
To be perfectly honest, I would stay at the Polynesian every trip if I could. Since that is not always possible, I'll stay wherever, on Disney property.
I've stayed at all three levels and have had enjoyed myself at all of them.

Hog
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I have stayed at Board Walk, Comtemporary, Swan and Caribbean Beach. I really enjoyed all of those hotels, but at Comtempo, Swan and CBR I was younger and it was my dad and I and he can afford those kinda resorts, and my parents took my wife, daughter and I to Boardwalk last year again, he can afford it. This time we are going on our own and our budget only allows for POP. But i don't think I would have 'wasted' the money on anything more upscale because when we were their most recently we left the room and 9am most days and returned at 10pm and hit the bed and slept till the next morning. We are the type that are on the go ALL the time and won't spend any time swimming, we figure we can do that at home. AND we want to get the best bang for our buck so soaking up all of the parks we can is our way to go!

On the other hand I kept telling my parents when they were booking BW that we could save "thousands" of dollars staying at a value, and they wouldn't even think about it, so I would say they are resort snobs, not me :secret:

Daisy'sMom
07-06-2011, 06:17 PM
We used to stay only at the deluxe, then did the moderates. Then we "roughed it" once at a value and never stayed anywhere else since then. We go over at least once a month, and stay overnight. When we realized that the POP covered our needs and we saved a boatload of cash, it's a no brainer.:mickey:

disneymomma2010
07-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I have stayed in two values and two moderates. I would love to stay at a deluxe and I would if I could budget it. My husband decided two years ago after staying at pop that we would not do values again. He just wasnt happy with it and hated the beds. So I guess we are "at least moderate level" snobs.
Having said that, I would rather stay in any disney resort rather than stay offsite, which I have to do sometimes because of my husband's family trips. I just don't think it feels the same when you aren't staying at disney. It takes half of the magic away.:mickey:
I have had a trip planned for this fall break for the csr for a few months now and now my husband's sister is talking about doing another beach house stay during that week and dh is all for it! Now im getting very nervous I might have to give up some of the magic! I am a disney resort snob!

Disney Doll
07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
We've stayed at value, moderate, and deluxe. I prefer moderate. Personally I see a bigger difference in value and moderate than I do moderate and deluxe. I just can't justify the deluxe prices. My parents bought into DVC when the grandkids came along and they bought enough points for the entire family. If not for that I doubt I would have ever stayed deluxe at all. We're blessed to have use of those points. That said, I would never skip a Disney trip just because I could only afford value. We've stayed at Pop and at ASM and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

For me the biggest negative about the values isn't the resort itself, but the crowds. Having all the biudlings so close in proximity gives the resort a noisy, busy feel. After being in the parks all day I prefer a quieter, relaxing vibe at the resorts. The pools always seem more crowded and the food courts are insane. If you stay value I would opt for a building on the outskirts and not ground level. That should give you a little more peace. We overcame the food court issue by renting a fridge and eating breakfast in the room. It saved a lot of time so that's become our preference no matter where we stay.

A lot of it comes down to preference because while I prefer the more spread out layout at the moderates others have complained about the extra walking so there's always a give and a take.

epceddie
07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
My wife and I extended our last vacation by a day and we needed someplace to stay for our first night at WDW. I got lucky and found Pop Century for $79 on hotels.com. We had a nice stay, but the room wasn't anything special and the sheer size of the resort was staggering, even with a rental car. The layout was a little confusing and it took us awhile to find the building we were staying in. We also didn't feel a whole lot of Disney magic there. I know a lot of people like Pop, because they think it's a good value, but we're DVC members at OKW and we were thrilled to check into a 1BR there the next day.

BigRedDad
07-08-2011, 04:46 AM
After reading all of the comments, I do not think this is really about being snobbish. It is more about what people are willing to settle for at a cost.

There is no doubt that if money were no issue, everyone would want to stay at a Deluxe resort. For some, money is of no issue. For others, the decision comes down to affordability. For a 6 night stay, the price difference between a Value and Deluxe resort can be as much as $1000 or more. For me, I would have to justify whether I will get $1000 of value in upgrading. It is hard for me to justify that money if the following are not taken care of first. I know people that have skipped mortgage payments just to stay at a Deluxe.

1. Minimum of $10,000 a year to retirement
2. Minimum of $3,600 per child to college fund
3. Maintaining rainy day fund at 6-months salary
4. All bills paid on time and no cc debt.

Disdad13
07-08-2011, 02:32 PM
We've stayed at both value and moderate. We liked the moderate, but are perfectly happy with values. As others have posted, if money were no issue, I'm sure everyone would want to go delux. We could afford to go moderate, and even delux, but we still choose to save the money and go value. And while I have absolutely no problem with anyone who chooses to spend the extra money, what I do have a problem with is when people make comments like "They seem populated by people who don't get out much". That's not being a resort snob - that's just being a snob, period. To suggest that a group of people are better or worse than others because of the resort they stay in is wrong on a lot of different levels....

Disney4
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Just back not even 24 hours from POR - I am carefully wording a review post, but I think two points can explain why I booked my bounceback to a deluxe and will always strive to live the "Snob" life at Disney:

1) "No towels at the pool - REALLY????" :thedolls:

2) Food court cattle drive - MOO - MOO - MOO

A Big Kid
07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
We've stayed at both value and moderate. We liked the moderate, but are perfectly happy with values. As others have posted, if money were no issue, I'm sure everyone would want to go delux. We could afford to go moderate, and even delux, but we still choose to save the money and go value. And while I have absolutely no problem with anyone who chooses to spend the extra money, what I do have a problem with is when people make comments like "They seem populated by people who don't get out much". That's not being a resort snob - that's just being a snob, period. To suggest that a group of people are better or worse than others because of the resort they stay in is wrong on a lot of different levels....

I made that comment and I stand by it. And I did not suggest that "people are better or worse because of the resort they stay in." To suggest I said that is disingenuous. People are "better or worse " (your words, not mine) because of thier behaviors and actions. Period.

It is my experience that I have encountered "worse" behavior at the values (both times ) and "better" behavior at the moderates and even "better" at the deluxes.

If your experiences are different, by all means, tell your story. But, please dont suggest that I am a bad person because my experiences differ from yours.

Checkers
07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
:mickey:Since we go to WDW so often we bought DVC and don't often stay at the other resorts. However, there are times when we don't want to use our points so will wait for an AP rate to come out and then make reservations at either a moderate (POFQ - now with Queen beds) or a deluxe. We prefer deluxe because we really enjoy the resort amenities and make use of a balcony. That is really what we miss when we stay at a moderate -- no balcony.

I think Disney has something for everyone and if I had small children the values would probably be very attractive to me. Isn't it great that there are so many options!

22ridesandtheTOL
07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm very grateful for the opportunities to stay at the Boardwalk Inn. Over the years, an annual pass has given me access to very steep discounts, especially as I go in the Fall.

The first year (1996) I stayed with friends at the Grand Floridian and although it was gorgeous, when I took a day to see all the hotels I fell in love with the Boardwalk. So, I may be a resort snob, but I can't imagine staying anywhere else at this point. It would feel as if I was in exile. ;)

I spend enough time in the room to enjoy the views, the balcony, the Innkeeper Club lounge and the atmosphere along the Boardwalk. We did the math more than once, and the food in the lounge not only saves us money, but precious precious time. The location supports getting to and from the parks easily and quickly. And because the place is so wonderful to just be in, I find it energizes me for a day or night in the parks. Despite the activities on the Boardwalk, there's a peace and quiet about the place that I adore. I love being in EPCOT, so the five minute walk or boat ride makes it even better. I can dash over for an hour or longer and go back to the room as needed.

When I arrive from the airport, the staff at the door say "welcome home" and that's exactly how it feels. So I guess I'm happy to pay more for the whole experience of just being there.

I should add that it probably helps that I'm an adult traveling without kids. Every year friends, and every now and then my sister, meet me there to celebrate the World, life, and each other. I love having days there by myself and then the ritual of waiting on the bench under the horse chandelier for various folk's arrival(s).

It's hard to explain the non-tangible reasons for why I'm a resort snob....hopefully this peels back a few layers of the meaning and feeling of the location and the fact that despite the money, there's a residual gift I receive from being there that stays with me all year long.

ryca1dreams
07-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I would stay at any resort. However, my love is with the Poly. I just feel more wrapped up in it as if my "escape" is complete. So, maybe a little snobby.

PetefromRI
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Although I wouldn't consider myself a resort snob I have to say that I wouldn't stay below a moderate.We stayed at Pop twice and Allstars once and we realized that we would rather save longer rather than to stay at a Value again.It's just not our thing.We love hanging out at the resort in fact we spend more time at the resorts than the parks.We spend all day hanging out and swimming,then at night we hit the parks or DTD.I think that the Poly is the best but it's a little out of our price range so we usually do POFQ.We tried the WL last year and loved it so I'm sure we'll be back there.The values just don't have that extra something and alot of tour groups seem to stay at them.The last time we stayed at Allstars we felt like we were surrounded by the Bundy family times 100.I'll stick to my mods and up.

Mickey91
07-10-2011, 01:19 AM
We have stayed at all the values and mods and all the MK deluxe except for the GF. Usually we stay at a value our first choice being the Pop Century. It is fun and colorful and has the best food court of any resort on property (IMHO). We never have feelings of disappointment because we are at the Pop instead of somewhere else. The biggest down side I see is the pools don't have slides. The rooms are smaller and don't offer a view. But, even though we stand in longer lines for busses and they are a bit more crowded, because of the amount of people there, they usually run more busses and are more concerned about getting us all "home" from the parks. We have literally watched three or more value busses pull up only 10 minutes after the last three busses left to help with the crowds while we were waiting over 30 min for our deluxe bus.

We will however upgrade to a mod or deluxe if money allows and we get a good deal. Otherwise, I cannot justify the extra $$$ spent for a few more square feet in my room and a water slide we might use once during our stay. As far as transportation goes, I really see no difference when having to use the bus system.

I think you will be perfectly fine. Your daughter might actually enjoy the more kid friendly atmosphere. I would choose the Pop or All Star Movies. Have a great trip!!:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
07-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Some of the best stays we've ever had have been at the All Stars. We have stayed at all resort levels multiple times, and own DVC, and every resort has something special to offer.

Our challenge these days is the size of the room and beds. Our 13 yr old son is over 6'2", and our 7 year old is just about 5' tall, DH and I are both 6'. We simply don't fit into a value room anymore.

WDWgoofy
07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I've stayed at value, moderate and deluxe resorts and the basic accommodations have been good in all cases.

However, my stay in a value resort (Pop) has been limited to my solo trips and I believe it would be too small for me, my wife and two adult children.

Interestingly my two most disappointing stays were at Beach Club and POR. In both instances I believe my expectations were set too high; consequently, I was disappointed.

Of all the resorts we've stayed, our favorites are CBR and AKL.

spoiledraf
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
We've stayed at the GF, CR, BW, YC and the Beach Club is our favorite and we'll be there 4 weeks from today. But a new experience comes with this trip as we will be staying one night at All Star Music. I've never been to a Value but every body I talk to hasn't had a problem. We did stay one night at POR. That was a poor expierience. When we went to register, the people in front of us in line looked like they just crwawled out from changing the transmission on their truck. My wife said this is hy we stay at the Beach Club. Then the room was very dark decor which turned her off as well.

All that being said, we are planning on Carribean Beach in November of next year with the whole family. Three rooms get a little pricey at the BC. so we'll give the moderate a real test. But I will really miss being able to walk to Epcot and DHS and all the dining opportunities.

A Big Kid
07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
* When we went to register, the people in front of us in line looked like they just crwawled out from changing the transmission on their truck.

OMG. This is so similar to me last experience at POP. One woman in front us checking in was wearing clothes that she had no busines wearing in public. Tattoos galore. He kids were running wild and she was dropping every swear word you could imagine and didn't care who was around.

FigmentOfYourImagination
07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I was so drawn to this post for many different reasons. My DH always considered me a resort snob. I found it funny because the only deluxe resort we had previously stayed at was WL and to be completely honest I would stay at CSR any day over WL for the pool alone! That being said, I feel that I have no choice but to become a resort snob since Disney makes it nearly impossible for a family of 5 to stay anywhere but a deluxe. I know that there are a few exceptions with POR and ASMU Suites. We can't stay at our favorite resort thus far, CSR because of the fire codes, only family of four or less allowed. We will be staying at the BC this coming September thanks to a pin code. We ended up spending the same as we would have at a moderate. I don't know if I feel more like a snob because I will be staying at my DDs dream resort, or the fact that I finally received the infamous pin code after 20+ years. Snob or not, just have FUN!!!!!!!

buzznwoodysmom
07-12-2011, 08:36 PM
1) "No towels at the pool - REALLY????" :thedolls:

We've stated at all the moderate resorts and have always had towels at the pool.

Tinkerbella16
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I have stayed at all of the value and moderate resorts.. because spending that much money for a room is just rediculous to us and the prices each year just keep going up. We really only need it to sleep, so Pop Century or even Port Orleans is great for us... for the money, I think the moderates are the way to go.

POFQ is my absolute favorite for the money.. boat transportation to DTD and the location is great because its close to everything. The resort is small and never crowded.. there is no far room. They are putting queen beds in the moderate resorts now.. Coronado Springs is complete with them I believe. I always wanted to stay at a deluxe resort (Poly or WL) but I just can't come to grips with those prices. Im afraid if I stay there, I will never wanna go back to the moderates/values again lol.

Just like the OP stated.. I am going on 3 years since I've been to WDW and its really starting to get to me.. I need to go soon!!! :mickey:

KAT1811
07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
We've stayed everywhere from All Stars to Grand Floridian. I can honestly stay I've enjoyed every resort - from value to deluxe to home away from home. When we were on a tighter budget, we stayed at value resorts. It was all good and the bottom line was, we were in Disney and enjoyed the parks and all Disney has to offer regardless of where "home" was for that trip!

. . . I have never had a problem with the values they are clean, fun themed although smaller rooms. Yes you do not get extra space and perks you get with Deluxe but they are by no means horrible. . .

While I am the first to admit my family prefers the finer things in life Disney is the one place where we wouldn't hesitate to stay at any one of the resorts on property. I would stay at all of them. While I much prefer a 2BR villa I don't require it and truly enjoy the different variety of resorts.

We have stayed at the All Star Movies for 2 weeks as a family of 5 and loved it (our youngest DD was just turning 2 and in a crib at the time and I was 5 months pregnant with #4). We stayed at Beach Club and to be honest it was probably one of my least favorite stays. I felt it lacked a bit of the Disney magic I have been used to. Our last stay, 18 days, was at Old Key West and that was one of my favorite stays. Coronado Springs is another family favorite. For us the magic is what we make it.

I suppose it depends on what frame of mind we are in when planning. For us I much rather be in Disney for 2 weeks in a moderate or a value than one week anywhere. Longer is better for us any way you slice it. We are a family of 6 and require 2 rooms anywhere other than the 2BR villas so either way we have more room to move about.

AllDisney
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
We have never been disappointed at any resort that we've ever stayed at. Our last trip this past May we stayed at the Movies. The room needed up dates, but the room was very clean. A few years ago we stayed at the POFQ and those rooms needed updating as well. You can always ask here when a resort was last upgraded and someone will be able to tell you.

All in all I am at WDW and the experiences have all been magical regardless of where we stay:number1:

We don't spend enough time in our room so the values and the reasonable rate we pay for them makes sense for us:number1:

A Big Kid
07-14-2011, 10:50 AM
We don't spend enough time in our room so the values and the reasonable rate we pay for them makes sense for us:number1:

I think that for a lot of people, this can be come a self fullfilling prophecy. If you get a room thinking that it is nothing more than a place to stay when you are not at the parks, that what it is.

But if you get a resort thinking it is a nice place to spend some time between your trips to the park, you are more likely to use it for more than a place to rest your weary head.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I think that for a lot of people, this can be come a self fullfilling prophecy. If you get a room thinking that it is nothing more than a place to stay when you are not at the parks, that what it is.

But if you get a resort thinking it is a nice place to spend some time between your trips to the park, you are more likely to use it for more than a place to rest your weary head.

Well, I think for most people like me who only can afford to go to the parks about once every 3 years that is exactly what the room has been for, to sleep and shower and little else and the values are more than adequate for that and have that great Disney theming certainly not horrible at all....

However, I see a lot of Intercotees who go more frequently and actually spend a great deal of time at their resorts and I can see why they wouldn't be happy with a value....and if that were my plans and I could afford it of course, I would opt for a Deluxe. Due to a PIN code this upcoming trip will be our first stay deluxe level and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I have actually scheduled a couple of early evenings so that we can enjoy spending some time at our resort.:mickey:

RBrooksC
07-15-2011, 08:25 AM
I cannot stand the "theming" at the Value resorts. Any time "larger than life" items is considered theming, I shudder. Any and all photos I have seen of the Value resorts screams "cheesy and annoying."

I much prefer the subtle theming of a moderate or value resort.

And, when I go on vacation I want to enjoy myself. I don't want a room that is bare and small.

So, I will pay extra to get the niceties of the better resorts.

A Big Kid
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I cannot stand the "theming" at the Value resorts. Any time "larger than life" items is considered theming, I shudder. Any and all photos I have seen of the Value resorts screams "cheesy and annoying."

I much prefer the subtle theming of a moderate or value resort.

And, when I go on vacation I want to enjoy myself. I don't want a room that is bare and small.

So, I will pay extra to get the niceties of the better resorts.

Snob! :)

AmandaChan
07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
We've stayed at All Star Sports as a last minute trip and we totally enjoyed it. Let me say it was a HECK of a lot better staying at an offsite resort and getting a rental. After that we stayed at Pop. The only thing that I honestly do not like about the values are the lines to the buses. The idea of standing in a line in the sun (sometimes a LONG line) doesn't really sound like too much fun when I might have to stand in a bunch of lines at the resort itself. The amount of luck we have had with our two moderate experiences with buses (being hardly no lines at all and under shade) is just almost worth it for us to stay in the moderate and shell out the extra $$. Is it a deal breaker? No.. just one of my favorite reasons to stay in a moderate. If you plan on driving to the resorts then this makes that concern null.

Nowadays though we couldn't have stayed in a Value ... we had a baby this time and I am so glad that I read somewhere that someone stuck their pack n play in the bathroom and shut the curtain. IT would have been a completely different trip if we weren't able to do just that!! we stuck his crib in the bathroom and he passed out... we left the overbed lights on and put a little rag over top of them (made sure they weren't hot) and even took out one of the bulbs (we put it back everyday) and that made all the difference! he slept until mornig (97% of the time) :mickey:

Each person is different in their reasons for moderates. My deal though.. is if I paid $250 for a hotel room here in Cincinnati.. you better believe that it would be SO MUCH nicer than even a deluxe (I can only go off what I have heard and the pics I have seen).. I used to work at a Marriott and those rooms and housekeeping were awesome compared to Disney hotels. I think Disney resorts are so overused, though... people constanntttly coming and going.. you have to take that into consideration with any resort you stay at! Plus the amount of money in Disney always has come comparison to the $$ we spend on things where we live anyways ($2.50 water anyone?)

Daisy'sMom
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
We have stayed in all of WDW resorts. I have never met anyone that was not appropriate. In fact the only two resorts that we noticed a problem was the Poly where there was a couple that thought they could indulge in some afternoon delight in front of our children and the CSR, where two men were intoxicated and one was peeing on the sidewalk.
That being said, I still don't typeclass the guests at either resort as porn stars or drunks.
I hope some refrain from doing that with guests that stay at the values.
We stay only the values now. And I assure you I have not one tattoo, I don't swear and we have never changed a transmission. We have put three children through college which we paid for and two that are now working in my DH's law firm of 27. :mickey:

BrerGnat
07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm a resort snob. I admit it. Deluxe or nothing for me from now on. I've done stays at all levels at WDW in the past, and I'm just happiest in the deluxe resorts. I'm a bit high maintenance as far as creature comforts go, and the deluxes suit me and my family the best while at WDW. We wait to go to WDW until we can afford a deluxe resort, which is usually pretty easy since there are discounts galore!

UCJen
07-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I only stay in Deluxes as well. For me, it's about convenient access to the parks. I love the fact I can walk to two parks from the Beach Club.

However, my last stay at BCV featured people who got absolutely smashed poolside and let their kids run willy-nilly at Stormalong Bay. The father got abusive towards a lifeguard, because the lifeguard told his kids they needed to have a clear float in the pool and they had a yellow one. It was very loud and very nasty, and it takes a lot to make me raise my eyebrows.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who loves to stay at ASMu. She is an MSW and her boyfriend is a trial laywer--definitely not people who look like they've just changed their transmission.

I think theme parks in general attract a large cross-section of people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

nfrustaci
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I only stay in Deluxes as well. For me, it's about convenient access to the parks. I love the fact I can walk to two parks from the Beach Club.

However, my last stay at BCV featured people who got absolutely smashed poolside and let their kids run willy-nilly at Stormalong Bay. The father got abusive towards a lifeguard, because the lifeguard told his kids they needed to have a clear float in the pool and they had a yellow one. It was very loud and very nasty, and it takes a lot to make me raise my eyebrows.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who loves to stay at ASMu. She is an MSW and her boyfriend is a trial laywer--definitely not people who look like they've just changed their transmission.

I think theme parks in general attract a large cross-section of people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

Well my husband and I don't look like we just changed our transmition either and we really like POP. I have a friend who is a trial lawyer as well and quite frankly he wears sweats and a t shirt to work every day and he is a millionare. I refer to him as sweatpants stevey..... lol. so i don't think that u can quite catorgarize people by how they look or dress.

KAT1811
07-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Well my husband and I don't look like we just changed our transmition either and we really like POP. I have a friend who is a trial lawyer as well and quite frankly he wears sweats and a t shirt to work every day and he is a millionare. I refer to him as sweatpants stevey..... lol. so i don't think that u can quite catorgarize people by how they look or dress.

Agreed. We live in a very upscale area and many of our friends and neighbors (including the doctors, lawyers, and fellow business owners) stay value and moderate. If there is one thing I learned in life, money doesn't equal class. My mother is a VP in the banking world and laughs whenever someone judges a "book by it's cover". Some of her multi millionare customers looked like they just "changed a transmission" and the ones with $20 in their accounts just pulled in with their Mercedes.

We are booked Villa right now but are thinking about changing to Moderate (we love, love, love Coronado Springs). We spend most of our time in the parks and are happy anywhere so long as it is in Disney. Someone said a while ago on Intercot they would be happy sleeping in a box as long as it was in Disney. I'm in complete agreement with that. :mickey:

FutureCorpsFan
07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Look... you said it yourself - "* Any place at Disney is better than not going to Disney"

The resort structure exists for varying situations... Some years are better than others. Look at your situation and make the best decison to get you there. The point is you are there! You know you plan to go back again. So, worry about being a resort snob then.

schultzy336
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
ot sure I would consider my self a resort snob or not...but we generally stay at the Contemporary. My wife & I have 3 kids so that makes 5 of us. If we stayed at a Value Resort we would have to get 2 rooms. To me, it worth spending a little extra for 1 deluxe than 2 value rooms. Besides, I think people in this discussion are really underestimating the transportation convenience aspect of a deluxe resort. Obviously having a direct monorail ride to you resort is great, but it seems to me that the buses run a little quicker from the the deluxe resorts and are not as crowded. maybe it is the time of year we go...not sure. My kids are 10, 15, & 17 so they enjoy the deluxe resorts much more because there is more to do...not to mention they can hop on the monorail on their own (not the 10 yr old!) and visit the other hotels for shopping & such. My wife & I like the quietness of the deluxe and the convenience of sit down restaurants at the deluxe (just a quick ride on the monorail gets us to Park Fare or Kona Cafe...love the Tonga Toast!). We also like the larger rooms (3 kids), having a frig in the room, and the hallway entrance. And lastly..we get to see the fireworks and water padgeant from the comfort of our hotel (or one of the others on the monorail).....grap a dole whip and head toward the beach (at Poly or GF) or hang out at the concourse or the beach at the Contemporary and just enjoy. To me & my family, that is such a magical part of our WDW experience. So, I have to be honest.....again...having experienced all resort types....even if we had 1 or 2 kids, we would still stay at a deluxe. Remember..it's not the quantity of time at WDW, it's the quality of time at WDW.

luvdiznee
07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I've decided to only stay at my 3 favorite resorts, when we go to Disneyworld. They would be; AKL, BWI and the Poly. Not sure if that makes me a snob or not. Just comes down to choices.

texas211
07-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I can't do the All Star again. Moderate or better, else offsite. Might try the Gaylord Palms.