PDA

View Full Version : Need some medical advice.

caryrae
07-05-2011, 05:18 PM
About 6 or 7 years ago I had surgery on the lower part of my spine to remove parts of 2 disc's that were bulging. Now every so often my lower back can get pretty sore. Right now it hurts but mostly when I sit and the longer I sit the more it hurts. I have been to Dr. a few times because of this but they usually just prescribe some medicine and pain pills. Am I better off to try a Chiropractor and see what they can do or just keep going to my Dr. when it happens?

SBETigg
07-05-2011, 05:28 PM
It's a tricky question. There are great doctors and there are great chiropractors. There are also not great doctors and not great chiropractors. You could end up in any scenario. If you're in pain, though, it's probably worth a try. Also, you might actually ask your doctor for a recommendation and tell him why. He can discuss the pros and cons for your particular situation.

And, you might try yoga. Yoga has helped a lot of people I know with back problems. It's not easy at first but it does increase balance, strength, and flexibility and all of those things will help you reduce back pain. Again, see your doctor for recommendations.

dnickels
07-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Agreed, I don't think any of us can give you better advice than your Dr. without knowing your full medical history. We don't know if you're carrying around a few (or quite a few) extra pounds that your back has to support, we don't know if you have any other muscle / bone issues, other health concerns that could aggravate it, etc.

Make sure you talk to them about treating the problem, not just treating the pain. There are times where nothing can really be done but treat the pain, however I think most 'good' doctors would prefer to solve the problem causing the pain rather than just prescribing pain meds. If they won't work with you to solve that, find another Dr.

Jillirose
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Ask your doctor if you can try physical therapy to strengthen that part of your back and learn stretches and techniques to avoid re-injury :thumbsup:

retiredfigment
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Was going to say the same thing as previous poster. Had trouble with my back for many months and 2 different doctors prescribed different pain medications. Finally went to a third who suggested physical therapy. What a difference it made. Now when I have back pain, pull out a few of the exercises. PT doesn't work for everyone, but it is worth a try.

MNNHFLTX
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Have you had a recent MRI or CT scan done of your back? If your current doctor has already done this, he is probably fairly confident that it's not another herniated disc. If you have not had one of these tests done lately, that is the first thing I would ask a doctor about doing. Secondly, when you do go to the doctor, what does he tell you is potentially causing the pain? You certainly deserve an answer to this question, not just a prescription for pain meds. It's also possible that physical therapy might be beneficial, as mentioned previously, especially if it's back pain related to muscle imbalances.

As far as chiropractors, I'm generally not a fan. Not to offend anyone that does go to one and feels they benefit from it--I realize it's a personal choice. It's just that I had a family member that went to a chiropractor with numbness and tingling on one side of their body. After many treatments and much time, they learned that they actually had
Multiple Sclerosis and had lost some ground with effective treatment options. So IMO it's still probably best to get answers from your regular doctor before you seek out alternative treatments.

caryrae
07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah I think I may have to tell my Dr to have me do PT. I did it several times before I had the surgery but did not help which is why I had the surgery but maybe this time it will help. I was told with the surgery I would probably have back problems every so often because I have less disc in the 2 places. A lot I think has to do with my job (install ceramic tile) which can mean a lot of heavy lifting and bending and twisting. I would like to find something less physical but it's hard to find anything. My pay is good and have been doing it for 14 years but I don't know if I could do it as I get older, I am only 38 now so have a ways to go before retirement.

This time is different because it gets really sore when sitting and gets worse the longer I sit and have to stand and walk for it to feel better.

kakn7294
07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
As far as chiropractors, I'm generally not a fan.Me either because the not-so-great ones will start treatments and manipulations without knowing the cause of the pain. Please be sure to have testing done to rule out further spinal problems first! Once the testing is done, find a chiropractor with a good, solid reputation if you still choose to go that route. PT may also be a good option. Either way, talk to your regular doc first.

Tink1
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
My husband has back problems they could only throw drugs at. As a last resort, his orthopedic doc sent him to a chiropractor. He told him WHO to go to and spoke with the chiro first.

Together they worked up a treatment plan for him and he does well. Ask your back guy about a chiro and if so, who would he advise you go to.

Nanc

laprana
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
What kind of doctor have you been seeing to treat your back problems? If you've just been going to your primary care doctor, I'd recommend making an appointment with a neurosurgeon or orthopedic physician. They have much more specialized training in dealing with backbone and spine problems.

Like others have said, I'd be sure you know what the problem is before going to a chiropractor. In some cases, chiropractors can do more harm than good if they are treating the wrong thing. There are lots of ways doctors can deal with back pain - medication, steroid injections, physical therapy, surgery - but first you have to be sure of what you're dealing with. Best wishes, and I hope you find a solution for your back pain!

Disney4us2
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I would go to your doctor, an Ortho or Neurosurgeon before going to a chiropractor.

When my back pain started I didn't. I saw a chiro, and it made my pain worse. It was like I was being tasered with a taser gun in my backside. I saw a neurosurgeon, got an MRI and found out I had a cyst in the spinal column. Surgery was my only option to get the cyst out. Mine was not a disc problem.

caryrae
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Can you just make an appointment with a neurosurgeon or orthopedic physician or do you need a referral from your Dr.?

SBETigg
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Can you just make an appointment with a neurosurgeon or orthopedic physician or do you need a referral from your Dr.?

Who did your surgery? You would probably still be considered a patient of that office and won't need a referral. Otherwise, you will probably need a referral.

MNNHFLTX
07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Who did your surgery? You would probably still be considered a patient of that office and won't need a referral. Otherwise, you will probably need a referral.Exactly. And any doctor can order the diagnostic tests you mght need and then refer you to a neurosurgeon or ortho doctor as necessary.