PDA

View Full Version : LEGOS & Strollers, & Mechanics. Oh my! Day 1

AgentC
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
This is my first attempt at a trip report. I didn’t take notes while we were at WDW so some of the details might be a bit sketchy. :mickey:

The crew
Me, the planner .
DH. DH visited Disney for the first time at 23. He was very worried that it was “just for kids”. Since then he has become a Disney fan and gets withdrawal if we don’t go at least every couple of months.
DS, 5. Laurence is already a Disney expert with more than 12 trips. Big fan of TSMM or as he calls it “pull rope” and The Great Piggy Bank Adventure.
DS, 3. Katerina wishes on every star that she sees that she wishes, “she could live at Disney.”

Dates – May 19-23
Day 1 Thursday May 19

This was our last trip before our season passes blacked out. We decided on 4 nights at POFQ, mainly because of the small size and the queen beds. My husband had recently injured his foot and we wanted to limit resort walking and Grandma (my mom) had decided to sit this trip out due to the May heat, so we didn’t need to do a deluxe.

We started out mid afternoon since I had to work in the morning. We picked the kids up a pre-school and headed out. The trip was uneventful and for once we didn’t need to make any pit stops along the way.

When we got to the resort, the check in line was short except for a few people who had just gotten off a Disney cruise. The online check in line moved a bit slow because the family checking in before me had never visited before and needed a lot of information. I don’t always do on-line check in because I have had better luck using standard check in. At POFQ, the resort is so small, I didn’t think the room assignment would matter unfortunately I was wrong.

This is one case when I should have gone with my instincts and asked for a new room at check in. We were assigned room 7306. I knew building 7 was the farthest away but I wasn’t too concerned about that. I was concerned about being on the 3rd floor with the stroller. The cast member asked if it was a problem and I said no. I am really not sure why I did not ask for a change.

We drove to building 7 and saw our room face da small circle in the front of the parking lot. No big deal, after all we only paid for standard view. :D The kids and I set off to find the elevator and DH started taking the luggage up the stairs. By the time we found the elevator which was pretty much as far from the room as it could be and still be in the same building, DH had brought almost all the luggage up. At this point, I was really regretting not asking for a new room. DH was tired and his foot hurt. He did not want to move the luggage again, so I unpacked.

We headed off to the quick serve at the hotel to have a quick dinner. Everyone was a bit tired and grumpy, so the walk felt really long especially since DD decide she was not walking and had to be carried.

Food was okay. DH had a steak sandwich. DS had a cheese pizza. I got the kids nuggets meal for DD, but she wasn’t hungry so I ate. The nuggets were nothing special but not nearly as bad as I remembered.

After eating we decided to take the boat to DTD. We needed to activate our seasonal passes and buy a pass for DD who had just turned 3 the month before. The wait for the boat was about 10-15 minutes. The boats are a combination of express from resort to DTD and non express which stops everywhere. Several express boats passed us while we were waiting. Guest services were fast and efficient. The cast member even tried to give DS a pass with his request character.

Back at POFQ, we decide it was too late to do anything but swim. DH & DD wanted to swim. DS and I did not want to but decided to come along and watch. Of course, once we got to the pool DS wanted to swim too. I did not want to go back to the room again for his suit and life jacket, so I bought him a new suit at the gift shop and discovered that they “rent” life jackets for the length of your stay. If you don’t return the life jacket prior to check out, it is charged to your room.

I also checked on changing rooms. The cast members were very nice, but I was not sure the changes offered were a better option (Bld 6 , 2nd flr or Bld 1, 1st flr.) especially since I would have to repack and unpack again, so I decided to stay put.

DH, DS, & DD had a great time in the pool and Jacuzzi before we called it a night.

Next up - MK

brian2000boston
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Not a bad start. The renting of a life jacket must be new? I remember them being at the pool when we were there. Do they actually charge you to use it or just if you dont return it?

Thanks for the report.

January-2007
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks so much for reporting!

faline
07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, at least you are settled in and got in some pool time!

AgentC
07-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Not a bad start. The renting of a life jacket must be new? I remember them being at the pool when we were there. Do they actually charge you to use it or just if you dont return it?

Thanks for the report.

They don't charge anything to use it. You have to show your room key. They take your name, room number and check out date. You get charged if not returned by the end of the day before you check out. I think it was something like $47 if you don't return it.

It was nice because unlike the old box at the pool method, we were able to get the size we needed.

CanadianWDWFan
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Great way to start of your first trip report!:thumbsup:

Glad day one went smooth and you got pool time, for us this is one of the most important things.

pdrlkr
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

princessgirls
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
A very good first day!! Thanks for reporting!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
While your room location may not have been optimal, I totally understand how you wouldn't want to re-pack and move after beginning to get settled. I hope it wasn't too much of a hassle during your trip!

I think it's a really cool idea regarding the life jackets - thanks for sharing the information with us.

On to your next report! :mickey:

brian2000boston
07-07-2011, 12:00 AM
They don't charge anything to use it. You have to show your room key. They take your name, room number and check out date. You get charged if not returned by the end of the day before you check out. I think it was something like $47 if you don't return it.

It was nice because unlike the old box at the pool method, we were able to get the size we needed.

This is a great idea!

Melanie
07-07-2011, 07:10 AM
You're doing a great job for it being your first time doing a trip report! :mickey:

I've stopped doing the online check-in. I think I did it 3 times before I realized it really didn't speed things up, so I hear ya there.

Nice first day getting settled and getting your new passes. PO is really convenient for DTD. Hope your room location works out to be fine.

On to day 2! :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for sharing!

disneymomma2010
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I enjoyed your report! Off to day 2! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a decent start

vizsla
07-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
sounds like a nice ride to disney...sorry the room location wasnt all that great..but you guys made the best f the day that you could..:mickey:

Mackflava99
07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope the trip goes better than day one, but I am sure it will.

Dsnygirl
07-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Your first day sounded great - except for the far away room! But everything else sounded great... looking forward to the rest!

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
thanks for the life jacket info. We're staying at Kidani and I wonder if the life jacket in the box is no longer there.

sorry about the room being so far. But you made it! you're at WDW!!!