PDA

View Full Version : Disney PhotoPass & Disney PhotoCD Information

smsp
07-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I’ve read their descriptions, but still have a few questions for clarification/confirmation. I did a search using ‘photopass’ and did not get any hits on this topic specifically, just hits within discussion posts.

Disney PhotoPass & Disney PhotoCD are two different things, correct?

Regarding the PhotoPass…

The PhotoPass itself is free?
There is no charge for obtaining a PhotoPass or viewing or sharing your photos online.

When viewing our pictures online (no PhotoCD involved), then we would have to order prints and/or packages based on their fees?

When viewing our pictures online (no PhotoCD involved), I’m assuming all pictures are copy right protected and I would be UNABLE to right-click copy to my computer?

How many people and/or families can be on one PhotoPass?
We are traveling in a group of 7, three different families technically.

Is there a limit on the number of pictures than can be taken on their PhotoPass?

Based on your experience, how many pictures do you get taken with you PhotoPass on average per day?

Do there tend to be ‘lines’ or having to ‘wait’ to have your pictures taken by the PhotoPass photographer?

Are some of the pictures that you know were taken not on your PhotoPass account and can’t be found?

Regarding the PhotoCD….

If I pre-order this CD before our trip, will ALL the pictures taken with our PhotoPass will be on this CD after it is actually ordered?

Once I receive my PhotoCD with our trip pictures, will I be able to print and copy all my pictures as I want too?

Will there be any type of ‘water marks’ on the pictures if able to copy pics from this PhotoCD?

So basically, the cost of the PhotoCD is buying the rights and ownership of all the pictures from our trip?

Is there a limit on the number of pictures that Disney allows on a PhotoCD?
This probably depends on the size of the jpeg files and all.

If all of our pictures could not fit on one PhotoCD, does the original purchase include more than a single physical CD?
If not, what is the additional cost.

My thoughts…..
I take a lot of pictures with my digital point and shoot camera while on vacation as most of us do. In past trips to Disney and other vacations spots, I have taken anywhere from 100-300 pictures a day. In addition to my picture taking, there will likely be 3-4 other people in our group taking pictures as well. So obviously, the PhotoPass and PhotoCD are not meant to be a substitute, but a supplement for my normal picture taking. Since the photographers are only at certain locations, the idea would be to get ‘quality’ photos of us at those key locations throughout WDW.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and/or address my concerns regarding the PhotoPass and PhotoCD.

SMSP

cer
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
OK. I will do my best to answer some of these.

The PhotoPass and PhotoPass CD are 2 different animals. The PhotoPass is a FREE card that you can obtain from a PhotoPass PHotographer OR you also can get one in your Disney Package. When you get your pic taken by a photopass photographer, they scan your photopass card to link all your pictures to the number on the card. When you get your card, make sure you take a picture of the number on it, so if you lose it, you can still view your pics. If you lose your card, get another one and keep on taking pics.

The longest wait we had at any one photographer was 2 parties ahead of us. If you do character meets, there will be longer lines, but just for around the park, it is not a long wait. Here is a little tip. Get pictures of not only everyone, but also get pics of just mom and dad or kids only shots as well. We did not figure this one out until mid-way through our trip and we got a lot more interesting shots doing this.

At the end (or beginning) of your vacation, you will sign in and create a photopass account. Once your account is created you enter the Photopass Card numbers into the account and all your pictures associate with the entered card numbers go into your account.

I do not know how many cards you can enter into an account, but on our last trip we had 2.

Once your pictures are entered into your account, you may view them, add borders, edit them. When you make changes like these, you are asked if your wish to "Save as Copy" the picture. So if you make changes, you will actually end up with more photos in your account than you took in the park. Also, you can delete photos from your account, too, so any BAD shots can be removed. In actuality, you could end up with less pics than were taken.

The Disney PhotoPass CD is an actual product available for purchase. We pre-ordered our CD at a discounted rate ($100). We ended up with about 161 pictures from a 6 night vacation, party of 4. I do not know if there is a limit to the # of photos on the CD. Also to note, when we were purchasing our CD. The first one was the discounted $100, but if we wanted to order a duplicate CD, it would cost around $20.

Good luck with all this, I hope I was a little bit helpful.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Quoting you in black, answering in red…
The PhotoPass itself is free?
There is no charge for obtaining a PhotoPass or viewing or sharing your photos online.
Correct, free to have your picture taken, free to view them online

When viewing our pictures online (no PhotoCD involved), then we would have to order prints and/or packages based on their fees?
Correct, you must order prints or other items OR just order the CD, ordering the CD will give you blanket Copyright release to do whatever you want with the images, including the right to make copies of the CD for other people

When viewing our pictures online (no PhotoCD involved), I’m assuming all pictures are copy right protected and I would be UNABLE to right-click copy to my computer?
Correct, you will be unable to copy and paste from the PhotoPass website

How many people and/or families can be on one PhotoPass?
We are traveling in a group of 7, three different families technically.
You may share an account with as many people and as many different PhotoPass cards as you like, however, once a PhotoPass card is grouped with other cards they cannot be ungrouped, so all pictures will come on the CD you order and any prints or other items ordered will have to be done using the same online PhotoPass account.

Is there a limit on the number of pictures than can be taken on their PhotoPass?
No, but if you take 10,000 pictures they will have to send you multiple CDs to get all the pictures to you, but there is no limit to the number of pictures

Based on your experience, how many pictures do you get taken with you PhotoPass on average per day?
Not enough when you have small (wild) children involved, plenty if it is just adults, but worth the costs either way

Do there tend to be ‘lines’ or having to ‘wait’ to have your pictures taken by the PhotoPass photographer?
You will often have to wait in a line up to 5 minutes at the more popular spots, but you will often walk right up to one waiting for work

Are some of the pictures that you know were taken not on your PhotoPass account and can’t be found?
As long as you keep up with all of your PhotoPass cards you should not loose any pictures. Write down ALL of your PhotoPass card numbers in case you loose the card, as you don’t need the card to retrieve the pictures, you just need the number.

Regarding the PhotoCD….

If I pre-order this CD before our trip, will ALL the pictures taken with our PhotoPass will be on this CD after it is actually ordered?
Yes, all the pictures as well as all of the “duplicate” pictures you create by editing or adding borders to your pictures will be included

Once I receive my PhotoCD with our trip pictures, will I be able to print and copy all my pictures as I want too?
Yes, you have an unconditional release provided in writing by Disney on the inside of the CD case, a release you might have to show or email the photo developer to get your pictures

Will there be any type of ‘water marks’ on the pictures if able to copy pics from this PhotoCD?
Not sure if they are watermarked, but you have a full release if they are, but you will be able to copy and paste the pictures from the CD using your computer if that is what you are asking

So basically, the cost of the PhotoCD is buying the rights and ownership of all the pictures from our trip?
Correct

Is there a limit on the number of pictures that Disney allows on a PhotoCD?
This probably depends on the size of the jpeg files and all.
No limits, but it might require multiple CDs to get them all to you, but at no additional charge

If all of our pictures could not fit on one PhotoCD, does the original purchase include more than a single physical CD?
If not, what is the additional cost.
No additional cost if it takes more than one CD to get you your pictures, but you can order additional copies from Disney if you wanted the additional copies to be in original packaging for the other folks in your group, however it costs a lot more versus just making copies on your home computer (which is allowed in the release)

:crazy: Whew! that was exhausting!

faline
07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Typically, we'll bypass the photographers that have a line. Usually, we can visit them at another time or there's another photographer nearby that doesn't have a line.

smsp
07-05-2011, 10:52 PM
cer, Goofy4TheWorld & faline....THANK YOU for taking the time to answer and confirm my questions! It was very helpful.

Taking into account the amount of money we'll be spending on a 6day/7night vacation, the cost of the PhotoCD to supplement our regular picture taking seems to be worth it. High quality pictures with a digital SLR and the convenience of having a photographer (not just some bystander) frame and take these shots is a built in value IMO.

I am tempted to bringing my own D-SLR, but I dont like having to lug it around all day for 7 seven days.

So, if we wanted to be really thrifty, our group of 7 could collaborate our PhotoPasses into one account and then just order additional copies of the PhotoCD.

SMSP

mariak
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like they just about have this covered. Lots of good advice here.

The best advice that I ever received re: DPP is “Load ‘em up! The CD costs the same whether you have 1 picture or 200, so take as many as you can.” So true, plus you can upload your own as well. But keep in mind that the borders available for those pictures that you upload are very generic compared to the ones taken by the PhotoPass Photographers. I don’t waste my time uploading my own anymore…unless it’s just a couple that I really want to have some kind of Disney border.

Also, keep in mind that you need to “claim” (create an acct. and begin looking at your pictures) your photos on-line within 30 days. Then you get another 30 days to order or they expire. Now, it is sometimes, possible for them to retrieve an expired photo pass but they make no guarantees. It’s best not to chance it. With all this in mind, a couple years ago, I registered my photo pass before our trip. It was nice because I was able to look at my pictures the same day by logging in to my account from my phone or laptop. It was nice to know if certain pictures came out OK or needed to be retaken. But one problem with that was that my days started ticking every time I viewed pictures. They all had different expiration dates. I’m such a procrastinator that I know I can't do that anymore. I generally wait until I get home because I need the 30 days to claim…plus the 30 to order so that I can get all the copies with all the borders that I want. I’m sure you’ll find out what works best for you.

Have a magical trip! :mickey:

mgmnut
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I purchased a photpass CD on our last trip and it was well worth it. Great high quality photos, and plenty of them. Although, last trip I purchased the photopass CD while at WDW at the end of our trip, we did not pre-order it.

I just pre-ordered our photopass CD for this upcoming trip. Can anyone tell me how this works when itis pre-ordered?

Do I just get my photopass card from the first photographer we use and enter the photopass number online under my account to view and add my pictures?

Do my 30 days start after I first enter the photopass number on line, or does it start when I pre-ordered it (today)?

9 days to go!!!!

faline
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Keep in mind that not all Disney photographers are created equally. You may find that some of your pictures are much better than others. Regarding your own Digital SLR. Personally, I'd recommend taking it. When we use photopass, we'll typically ask the photographer to take a picture with our own camera as well. Generally, they'll take 1-2 shots with our camera and then 3-4 with their camera. Some photographers will take longer (and more care) with you than others. Others, snap a quick shot or two and they're done.

LisaP
07-07-2011, 01:39 AM
I purchased a photpass CD on our last trip and it was well worth it. Great high quality photos, and plenty of them. Although, last trip I purchased the photopass CD while at WDW at the end of our trip, we did not pre-order it.

I just pre-ordered our photopass CD for this upcoming trip. Can anyone tell me how this works when itis pre-ordered?

Do I just get my photopass card from the first photographer we use and enter the photopass number online under my account to view and add my pictures?

Do my 30 days start after I first enter the photopass number on line, or does it start when I pre-ordered it (today)?

9 days to go!!!!

It starts 30 days after you enter your photopass number online, NOT when you pre-order it. What a savings!!!

Also, take a picture of your photopass card number on your phone. THE BEST advice I've ever received here on Intercot! I lost mine the day before we were leaving, and I know exactly where ... the photographer at DHS did not return it to me after taking our photo in front of the Sorcerer's Hat. I was SO GLAD I took that picture on my phone! I had the number and was able to access my photos online :thumbsup:

mgmnut
07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
It starts 30 days after you enter your photopass number online, NOT when you pre-order it. What a savings!!!

Also, take a picture of your photopass card number on your phone. THE BEST advice I've ever received here on Intercot! I lost mine the day before we were leaving, and I know exactly where ... the photographer at DHS did not return it to me after taking our photo in front of the Sorcerer's Hat. I was SO GLAD I took that picture on my phone! I had the number and was able to access my photos online :thumbsup:

Great Idea to take a cell phone Pic of the photopass Card..... Thanks!!

IloveJack
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
So, if we wanted to be really thrifty, our group of 7 could collaborate our PhotoPasses into one account and then just order additional copies of the PhotoCD.

SMSP
Yes. We went with another family on our last trip, and we shared an account. We had multiple pictures of all of us on it, plus quite a few of one family or another. All-in-all, we loaded 7 codes to the account (MNSSHP + times we split up). We had no trouble doing it.

Patricia
07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I have traveled with a group of 6 and we shared a Disneyland Photopass. It was great, everyone had several pics of themselves and of the group to choose from at a very low cost.

brivers222
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
We didn't buy a photopass but I had over 600 photos that we had them take throughout our trip (including some I played around with editing and such)...

Another tid bit is ANYTIME you get a character meal or event where they take your picture there is a code on your receipt... enter that code online and you now have access to those pictures as well. Would come in handy on the disc you get.

This time around its our honeymoon, so i am going to pre-order the Disc so that we get our pics.

between the photopass pics, character meets and my own pictures... i have over 3000 pictures from our engagement trip. (many documented in my trip reports from last oct)