PDA

View Full Version : You might be a Disney Park snob if...

finaldynasty
07-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Just returned from a family trip to Tampa and found myself at every turn comparing BG to WDW. I missed how WDW makes sure you do not see grounds folks cutting grass or planting flowers while the park is open.

So, I admit...I compared everything to WDW, even the water park.

So, you might be a Disney snob like me if you questions a theme parks theming and compare it to WDW...

A Big Kid
07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
If someone you know tells you they are going to WDW and your first thought is, "Did you check with me first?"

gardenia
07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
If you just KNOW you could have gotten a better discount for that friend who is going... no one knows how to get a good WDW discount like you do...

Kairi_7378
07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I find myself comparing the food service at other theme parks to that at WDW. (And I know that food is a very hot topic here.)

I find myself pushing Magical Journeys to people who insist on booking directly through Disney.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I am bad about critiquing people's plans...did you use Magical Journeys? Are you staying onsite? Did you get hopper, dining plan, did you see the shows, skip parks? Yeah, can't seem to help myself....

Gator
07-04-2011, 06:51 PM
This is something I get in California: So you guys went to Disneyland?

"World. We went to Walt Disney World."

That makes me a WDW snob.

tundramom
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
If you have a 20+ page planning booklet that you print and give to first timers and include park maps (which I grab extras of each trip). Tips from what to pack, comparing resorts by category and a breakdown of each park with ride descriptions, transportation overvue and dining options are also described. :blush: OK maybe snobbee, definitely:crazy:

tdk316
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
If you just KNOW you could have gotten a better discount for that friend who is going... no one knows how to get a good WDW discount like you do...

This is me... :blush: But it's TRUE! :D

CanadaLovesDisney
07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
There is a fire works party being held and you say, "Pshhh I can see much better fireworks in magic kingdom any night I want when I'm there... I'll just wait for those".

Guilty as charged... :secret:

finaldynasty
07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
There is a fire works party being held and you say, "Pshhh I can see much better fireworks in magic kingdom any night I want when I'm there... I'll just wait for those".

Sadly, that was my sentiment at a firework show last night...even my kids were not impressed...

Friend of Figment
07-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I have the overwhelming desire to take over the trip planning of friends who say they guess they'll just wing it on the trip they're taking.

IloveJack
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
...you see other parks characters and think "Disney would never allow their character costumes to be worn/have obvious places to see out/dirty/etc." Or you see trash lying around or spilling out of cans, and think "Disney's so much cleaner than this."

renecat
07-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Just returned from a family trip to Tampa and found myself at every turn comparing BG to WDW. I missed how WDW makes sure you do not see grounds folks cutting grass or planting flowers while the park is open.

So, I admit...I compared everything to WDW, even the water park.

So, you might be a Disney snob like me if you questions a theme parks theming and compare it to WDW...

We went to Florida in April of this year and decided we would do Sea World, Universal ,and Busch Gardens. My sister and I kept saying they sure don't know how to do it like Disney. Had my mother-in-law with us in a wheel chair and especially at Universal they don't make sure that person is taken care of like Disney does. We are heading to Disney in Nov. 2011 with 7 women total and origanaly planned on doing 1 day at Universal. After our trip in April my sister and I both said we didn't want to waste our money. So yes we are Disney Snobs and proud of it.

Stu29573
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Yep. I actually told my wife this year "it's too hot to go to the downtown fireworks show. Besides, it can't touch Disney!"

rpeoples
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I carry a D&B Disney Parks bag which is always a conversation starter. Can't count how many times I have "planned a stranger's trip" while in line at the store, in the doctor's office waiting room or at a restaurant!
Then they ask about the "other" parks and I tell them, I don't know, never been. We get to Disney and don't want to leave the property!:mickey:

Dragongirlx
07-05-2011, 11:04 AM
The fact that on my holiday to Florida I don't even consider going to other parks and will tell people that I am only going for Disney world

HackLaSalle
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
If you complain about poor theming at Six Flags. Cause my goodness its awful.

magicofdisney
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
A fair, complete with carnival rides, comes to our town each year. Since I fell in love with Disney, I haven't even considered going. It used to be one of the highlights of my year.

DNS
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
If someone you know tells you they are going to WDW and your first thought is, "Did you check with me first?"

LOL - I have actually told people to check with me I would love to help them plan!!

r4kids
07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I have asked what days they plan to go to what park, did they check magic hours, etc, etc, etc. I can help adn most actually do seek my advice.Plus my kids relate EVERYTHING to Disney trips. :mickey:

Narawen
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
LOL - I have actually told people to check with me I would love to help them plan!!

My family members know I'm such the WDW expert they do this for me. My mom already told her boss I'll help plan her trip to take her grandchild when they're old enough- her daughter's just now expecting their first.

Dulcee
07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
You might be a disney park snob if...

you look aghast at a family member or friend who HASN'T booked their dining reservations at the crack of dawn 180 days out.:jaw:

squad51
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
When you offer to be a tour guide for anyone who you here is going and your not.

When you are willing to run a half marathon as an excuse to go.

EJS-Houston
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM

LOL! I SO relate to that. And you have to work so hard to mask the condescenscion in your voice because they clearly don't understand the difference between DisneyLand and DisneyWorld.

marlyn
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
When people tell you they are going to WDW and staying offsite to do other things in the area because "you can only spend so many days at Disney" and you want to shake them to knock sense into them!!!

syndrome
07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
We live near Carowinds amusement park and when my DS and I go we ALWAYS compare it to Disney. My DS says it is more like the state fair and he is only 9!

jokat
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
My DH and I totally relate to this! We even compare "regular" restaurants to Disney. Constantly. Everyone knows us as the "Disney freaks". Anyone who plans a trip typically will ask us questions, but we warn them that they will have to tell us to stop when they are ready for us to stop because we could go on and on. Forget going to another "theme" park without immediate comparisons. Impossible. Nothing measures up to Disney! I even use Disney stories regularly in training my staff at work in customer service..."do not point, show; make each and every customer a guest; notice the little things!" :blush:

disneymomma2010
07-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I live really close to dollywood and I went last year for the first time and years and I couldnt even enjoy myself because I kept comparing it to disney, and I know I was getting on everybody's nerves.

I havent really enjoyed our local fireworks in a few years. I keep saying things like " disneys was so much better than this." And "i bet disney is really having a great show right now".

I also will not consider going to any other park while in florida. :mickey:

DisneyWitch
07-05-2011, 09:25 PM
A fair, complete with carnival rides, comes to our town each year. Since I fell in love with Disney, I haven't even considered going. It used to be one of the highlights of my year.

We have a small Halloween carnival that we wouldn't miss for the world. It doesn't compare to Disney of course but that's the point. When you get on a Disney ride you can be fairly certain you will get off again in one piece (if you don't do something stupid). But at a carnival....that's living on the edge. Especially with all the extra parts on the ground in plain view. And isn't it funny that those little carnivals have fewer lawsuits? Probably because they have less money.

Tink#64
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I admit, we are definitely WDW snobs! :mickey: The year after our 1st WDW visit, we went to Kings Island & it drove me insane to stand in lines on the hot pavement for hours! No interesting, interactive ques, no FP, just standing in the heat for hours! I think we managed 2 attractions before lunch! The attractions, the shows, the characters, the theming, the grounds, the parades, nothing can compare to the magical details of WDW! We just returned & as always, the magic was felt at every turn! :cloud9:

MILWDIANA
07-06-2011, 08:09 AM

We said that the night of the 4th!! Decided to skip our hometown fireworks because we knew we would be seeing better ones in 3 weeks!!!! :mickey: Woo Hoo!!!! Can't Wait!

darthmacho
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Coworker: "What are you listening to?"
Me: "I just downloaded 15 new podcasts on my iPod."
Coworker: "Really, which ones? I like to listen to my favorite comedians."
Me: "I listen to Wald Disney World podcasts."
Coworker: "Oh. You'd really like this comedian (blah, blah, blah, I stopped listening.)"
Me: "No I only listen to WDW podcasts."
Coworker: (Rolls eyes and walks away disgusted.)

:mickey:

During my 1998 trip, we spent 1 day at Sea World, and in 1999 we did a day at Universal. Since then, we've gone on trips in 2003 and 2010, and have done 8 and 10 days respectively without any desire to leave WDW property. That's a run of 18 straight. We're hoping to do a 14 day trip next year, and again, don't plan on leaving property, and the following year, an 7-10 day trip with no interruptions. Every time I mention Florida, people ask me about these other parks, attractions, beaches, and even cruises. Someday...maybe...but not until I've had my fill of WDW exclusively. Few people understand, but I just have to live with their questions, their skepticism, and their blasphemy.

One thing that does bother me though, is when someone tries to "school" me on WDW. Sometimes they try to tell me to eat at a restaurant in downtown Orlando to save money, or to get better quality food. Another pet peeve of mine is when someone tries to insist to me that they rode Spiderman, Jurassic Park, or some other ride when they were in WDW, when I know they are wrong. Sometimes I have to just bite my tongue and resist the urge to throw up in my mouth a little.

Now THAT's a WDW snob!

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Jim&AngieMarriner
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Im a snob because I am planning my next career after I retire from the Army totally around WDW parks. I want to work there. Only 22 more months!!

Dulcee
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
One thing that does bother me though, is when someone tries to "school" me on WDW. Sometimes they try to tell me to eat at a restaurant in downtown Orlando to save money, or to get better quality food.

Ah! I had someone suggest a Red Lobster in the area for a way to save money on our trip a few years back. I don't think I hid my disgust very well...

marlyn
07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
The last time we ventured out of the world to go to Universal, my kids kept saying that the "magic" was missing. It just wasn't the same.

The next time we went, we stayed exclusively at Disney but ventured off property one day to get gas and go to the store. As soon as we left Disney property the kids said "it's ugly out here". They couldn't wait to get back to the "purple signs"

Every trip since then we board our magical express bus and don't leave property until we get back on that bus to return to Airport.

We are definitely Wdw snobs!!

johnO
07-06-2011, 11:32 AM

I find myself thinking the same thing....lol

whitney37354
07-06-2011, 12:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing at the two fireworks shows we saw last weekend!

I live really close to dollywood and I went last year for the first time and years and I couldnt even enjoy myself because I kept comparing it to disney, and I know I was getting on everybody's nerves.

I havent really enjoyed our local fireworks in a few years. I keep saying things like " disneys was so much better than this." And "i bet disney is really having a great show right now".

I also will not consider going to any other park while in florida. :mickey:

I'll always love Dollywood even though it can't compare to WDW---apples & oranges, IMO.

Did you go to the Athens fireworks Monday night? We were there in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

After MK fireworks, nothing else is ever very good...

Goofster
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
You're a Disney Snob when...

When you don't bother to fight traffic and sit in the heat to watch your town's fireworks display because you just saw the display at EPCOT and MK and will be seeing them again next year.

You avoid giving a look of disgust to your neighbor when they tell you they're taking a "Disney Vacation", but staying offsite, going to Sea World and only visiting MK and Epcot one day each. The desire to tell them that it is a "Florida Vacation" not a "Disney Vacation" is suppressed.

azcavalier
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
....you start discussions about how things would be if Disney ran it. You know....how the hospital would be, the local mexican restaurant, the public transportation system, the DMV....

Cara121078
07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
When people tell you they are going to WDW and staying offsite to do other things in the area because "you can only spend so many days at Disney" and you want to shake them to knock sense into them!!!

That drives me crazy, too!

seanyred
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
You might be a snob if...

you get offended when someone tells you that its better to stay off property and spend the extra money/time on a rental car.

or you get offended when someone tells you that the food at Disney World is not good at all, but then you find out all they ate was cheesburgers and chicken nuggets...

IloveDisney71
07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
If you have a 20+ page planning booklet that you print and give to first timers and include park maps (which I grab extras of each trip). Tips from what to pack, comparing resorts by category and a breakdown of each park with ride descriptions, transportation overvue and dining options are also described. :blush: OK maybe snobbee, definitely:crazy:

Wow! Maybe I should make a booklet instead of having to retype everything in an email or FB message every time somebody asks me for WDW trip tips. It would save me time! LOL:mickey: I don't mind sharing information at all but it's hard trying to remember all the important things first-timers should know.

TheVBs
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I love this thread! Hysterical answers! And I can relate to so many of them. We've done the "land" "World" correction, we've passed on local fireworks (not always, but usually), we haven't gone to another theme park since 2003. And we've even compared completely different destinations with WDW. When we went to Arkansas state parks last year, which were gorgeous, it was such a drag to have to drive so far to every place we wanted to see. We love to pull into Disney and not leave the property until we get home.

Tundramom, I love that you made your own planning booklet! I would love to see it myself!

Daisy'sMom
07-06-2011, 06:12 PM
You mean there is other places that you might compare with Disney? I didn't know one existed.:mickey:

wonderalice23
07-06-2011, 10:45 PM
@DarthMacho - agreed on the podcasts!

-when you hear people say how they would only stay at the value resorts - those other ones are just too expensive (psh, you know how to work the discounts)

- when you plan your DVC points usage and vacation time at work to maximize vacation time at WDW. (hmm, if I go in this season....)

yeah, not at snob level , but the weird comments I hear...lol

kemps@wdw
07-06-2011, 11:12 PM
when someone tells you they're goin to WDW, and your response is..."GREAT, here's what you need to do!" And then you proceed to plan their entire vaca for them! :blush:

WDWgoofy
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Guilty!

On Monday, I complained about seeing fireworks. C'mon, there is no synchronized music, lights, lasers...

My family doesn't know what to do with me other than ignore me and roll their eyes.

Having just read 43 messages it appears we are all snobs in need of counseling.

dizneydeb22
07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
...when you go to a class at the local library called Disney 101 and the teacher asks you to teach the advanced class!! My husband tells everyone that story!
:teach:

Susan A
07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
When I go to another theme park, even little ones like "Dutch Wonderland" in PA, and I comment, "Disney wouldn't allow that!"
For example, full trash bags in full view of the guests. :ack:

tundramom
07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Wow! Maybe I should make a booklet instead of having to retype everything in an email or FB message every time somebody asks me for WDW trip tips. It would save me time! LOL:mickey: I don't mind sharing information at all but it's hard trying to remember all the important things first-timers should know.

That's exactly why I sat down and typed it all out, now I go back once in awhile and update things and can print it out in a hurry!

tiggerbuddy
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Exactly the way I feel !!!:number1:

disneymomma2010
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing at the two fireworks shows we saw last weekend!

I'll always love Dollywood even though it can't compare to WDW---apples & oranges, IMO.

Did you go to the Athens fireworks Monday night? We were there in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

After MK fireworks, nothing else is ever very good...

Yes! We were in a field behind applebees! Very good view, it was nice, but the whole time im thinking "i've seen better!"

Nice to know there is another disney lover living close by:mickey:

Tink#64
07-08-2011, 01:30 AM

One thing that does bother me though, is when someone tries to "school" me on WDW. Sometimes they try to tell me to eat at a restaurant in downtown Orlando to save money, or to get better quality food. Another pet peeve of mine is when someone tries to insist to me that they rode Spiderman, Jurassic Park, or some other ride when they were in WDW, when I know they are wrong. Sometimes I have to just bite my tongue and resist the urge to throw up in my mouth a little.

Now THAT's a WDW snob!

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

LOL, You're cracking me up! It drives me nuts when people get all of their WDW facts wrong! The one thing that I hear the most is people referring to MK as WDW, and they're under the impression that they've done it all! Or saying they did Mission to mars at Disneyland (meaning MK in WDW whcich is wrong on a whole other level!) lol Can't even try to correct those people! It's a total lost cause! :ack:

MrPeetrie
07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Me, too. I have actually typed up day-by-day itineraries for first-timers.

My Disney snobbieness has me comparing EVERY OTHER PARK to Disney. Over the Fourth, we went to a local park that is highly rated for young children. While waiting in line, I began taking notice of all the weeds visible. Disney would never allow that, I thought. I found myself comparing food service and cleanliness, as well. Nothing compares to Disney. Not even close.

indytraveler
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
When friends of my friends aproach and ask about a few tips on how to Disney. I then ask "how much time do you want to spend talking to me?"

Terra
07-08-2011, 07:58 PM
The fact that on my holiday to Florida I don't even consider going to other parks and will tell people that I am only going for Disney world

Or the fact that I LIVE in Florida and refuse to go to any other parks!!:D Nothing compares to the magic of WDW!

Fastpasssteve
07-09-2011, 12:45 AM
I sometimes hear of people going down to WDW and listen, after the fact, about how certain things went fine, but how other things didn't...and I think, "If you had but asked me about this, everything would have gone swimingly! But NO, you had to do it on your own and stay off-property and didn't know where to eat!"

princessgirls
07-09-2011, 01:14 AM
You might be a Disney Snob IF:

You are appalled at other theme parks being dirty and looking like they need a fresh coat of paint.

You don't think much of people who only spend one day at WDW and complain about how expensive everything is :thedolls:.

You cheerfully help anyone and everyone who asks you about Disney! :mickey:

You steer clear of all known "Disney Haters" you can have your opinion, it's America, but NOT around me! I love the Magic!!

When you step of the Magic Express bus at MCO at the end of your trip, your wheels are turning to plan your next trip back.

I LOVE DISNEY!!!!

Julie:mickey:

WDWgoofy
07-09-2011, 09:47 AM
While we are all snobs and proud of it; I remain amazed that most people (guys) I meet believe it makes them 'cool' to talk bad about their upcoming or completed vacation at WDW.

Generally, few people know of my WDW obsession and I tend to keep my extensive knowledge and experience of all things WDW to myself as it is unappreciated.:mickey:

finaldynasty
07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
...when you go to a class at the local library called Disney 101 and the teacher asks you to teach the advanced class!! My husband tells everyone that story!
:teach:

LOL

You have me thinking about putting together a class like this in the Atlanta area! My theory about WDW is be an informed consumer and the price you pay to stay at Mickey's House (as my kids call it) will always pay for itself...

DisneyDudet
07-11-2011, 11:25 PM
...When you actually get angry when Disney changes something that you like or think that works (ahem... monorail hours, JIYI, etc).

...When your skin ACTUALLY itches when you even THINK of going to Six Flags.

...When you compare public transportation to WDW Transportation (boy are their buses are clean!)

...When you just can't bring yourself to spend the same amount of money somewhere else, because you can't guarantee the quality of your vacation like you can with Disney!

dizneydeb22
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
LOL

You have me thinking about putting together a class like this in the Atlanta area! My theory about WDW is be an informed consumer and the price you pay to stay at Mickey's House (as my kids call it) will always pay for itself...

You should go for it! It helps me get my Disney fix in between trips. I agree about being informed! When I compare what we spend on a trip to what other spend, they are amazed! :mickey:

AmandaChan
07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
... won't take others suggestions for FP order over your own. You have a system and you don't need anyone trying to mess it up.

AmandaChan
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
...When you just can't bring yourself to spend the same amount of money somewhere else, because you can't guarantee the quality of your vacation like you can with Disney!

For real! We have an amusement park (Kings Island) here and I can't believe that people spend almost the same amt of $$ to go to that park and it is SO DIRTY and unkept and unmaintained compared to Disney.

Another one... you get mad when people complain that Disney is too expensive (esp those that hav never been). When have you ever visited the world and not felt like you got your $$$ worth (I'm sure there are some exceptions)??? You can't deny that the quality isn't there!

Terra
07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
For real! We have an amusement park (Kings Island) here and I can't believe that people spend almost the same amt of $$ to go to that park and it is SO DIRTY and unkept and unmaintained compared to Disney.

Another one... you get mad when people complain that Disney is too expensive (esp those that hav never been). When have you ever visited the world and not felt like you got your $$$ worth (I'm sure there are some exceptions)??? You can't deny that the quality isn't there!

I lived in Dayton/Vandalia area up until I moved to Florida in 1999. I did not like K.I. at all!! I agree, dirty, not really fun, no magic...not worth the bucks!!!!

AmandaChan
07-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I lived in Dayton/Vandalia area up until I moved to Florida in 1999. I did not like K.I. at all!! I agree, dirty, not really fun, no magic...not worth the bucks!!!!

Yeah it's funny b/c back in its heyday it was like the most popular AP around. The brady bunch even did an episode there once.. haha. but they are trying so hard to keep it up and get some $$$ out of it. It has been bought and sold so many times... and you do not even understand the true quality and appreciate Disney until you have been there. I hate the misconception that WDW is just like "kings island" or any other amusement park. It's a whole other world! my MIL just mentioned yesterday that she was looking at pictures and reminiscing on our trip last month and now she understands why we go every year.

BWayGrl
07-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Haha, I do the same thing with rides and attractions. It's especially snobby if my brother and I are in the same room together, and someone starts talking Disney. Our ears perk up, and we give each other a glance and smirk when the person calls it "Wheel of Progress" or "Test Cars." Then we laugh about it to ourselves, and then correct the person. I am an absolute stickler when it comes to that :mickey:

Cjsmom1811
07-15-2011, 05:19 PM

:secret: guess im a snob too
SO guilty of this!!! Currently in the process of planning the family trip for october of next year! :number1:

Jim&AngieMarriner
07-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I grew up in SE Ohio and used to go to Kings Island several times a year as a kid. It was a much better park then. I took my wife and her kids there this May and it wasnt BAD but it sure wasnt Disney.

I agree that it could use a good bit of cleaning up. They management there doesnt try hard like Disney does. It just really cant be compared to the World.

That being said, it does have some really great roller coasters. The Beast and The Diamondback are my two favorites. It is just a case of understanding what the place is and is not. And for what it IS, it isnt bad. But it sure isnt a competetor for Disney.