PDA

View Full Version : Marvel?

DisneyFr33k
07-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I heard they are removing all the Marvel Characters from US/IoA. Is this true? If so, what will happen to the popular rides like Hulk?

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Not true.... thread end.

NJGIRL
07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
You can read this. It happened a while ago and I wouldn't count on Universal giving up the Marvel characters any time soon. I haven't heard anything else for some time now.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160523&highlight=marveld

If you read through the seven pages you will see some predicted the downfall of Universal and the Marvel characters being forceable taken out and put in Disney. This happened two years ago and it's still business as usual.

If you see any updated information please be sure to post it here.

sixshot19
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Disney will happily collect all the royalties. Until they decide to put some kind of marvel ride/show/land in WDW. Then they will cancel the contract with universal to eliminate their competition in that area. I can see DC comics jumping in at that point to re theme to their liking, superman , batman, etc

Just the thoughts of a comic geek.

NJGIRL
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Disney will happily collect all the royalties. Until they decide to put some kind of marvel ride/show/land in WDW. Then they will cancel the contract with universal to eliminate their competition in that area.

I can not understand the thought process that Disney can just cancel the contract any time they please. This is not the case. Everything that I read, two years ago, (which was alot) from independent sources stated this fact.

The company that owns Universal is no push over and it will have to be beneficial to them to cancel any contracts that are in place.

sixshot19
07-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I have not read any info on the matter, just my thoughts. That being said no matter the literature, I can not see Disney allowing universal to continue with marvel, IF they decide to start using the material in any serious way. Why would they allow themselves to have any competition for theme park dollars, when they own all the material.

NJGIRL
07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
I can not see Disney allowing universal to continue with marvel

This is my point. Disney does not have a choice. There is a contract in place. Disney knew this when they bought Marvel. Disney can not just wake up one morning and say "Universal you can't use Marvel characters anymore because we are going to". In order to get out of a contract like this it would cost Disney alot of money and Universal would also have to agree to it. I'm not saying that the contract won't be dissolved one day, but if and when it does Universal will have a say in it.

I'm sure Disney knew what it was doing when they bought Marvel, but I am also sure Universal knew what it was doing when they signed it's contract with Marvel and spent millions of dollars on it's theme park attractions. Companies are sold all of the time and I'm sure Universal's contract with Marvel covered that possibility.

Mfarquar
07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Well explained, NJGirl!

I have heard rumors about Disney making a Tony Stark/Ironman/Avengers attraction part of Innoventions.

Disney leaked the information last week (seemingly on purpose) and then retracted it. It seems like they were gauging the temperature of opinions of this online.

With all the movies coming out starring Avengers characters (starting with Captain America), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something that eventually tied into this or the Avengers movie (2012 release date).

With Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and more characters with upcoming movies, Disney will have plenty to use that Universal is not involved with.

I have a feeling it would be small and Innoventions seems like the perfect place for it...

Only time will tell!

NJGIRL
07-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you! :D

And yes, Marvel has hundreds of characters that Disney can use in their FL theme parks because they are not part of the Universal contract.

I do hope that they start designing new attractions soon. They need more than just the "pirates" to attract families with boys. There are so many things for girls at WDW and I know some parts of Disney my son wants to skip altogether.

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Well explained, NJGirl!

I have heard rumors about Disney making a Tony Stark/Ironman/Avengers attraction part of Innoventions.

Disney leaked the information last week (seemingly on purpose) and then retracted it. It seems like they were gauging the temperature of opinions of this online.

With all the movies coming out starring Avengers characters (starting with Captain America), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something that eventually tied into this or the Avengers movie (2012 release date).

With Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and more characters with upcoming movies, Disney will have plenty to use that Universal is not involved with.

I have a feeling it would be small and Innoventions seems like the perfect place for it...

Only time will tell!

Problem is, Disney cannot use Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, or any other character associates with these characters, Spider Man, Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, The Avengers, etc... Universal has the license rights to all these characters and characters in these families... Including every single X-Men character...

Leaves Disney with very few options...

I will point out, however, this is only for Walt Disney World... So, forget Marvel in WDW at all...

GBBT
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I heard they are removing all the Marvel Characters from US/IoA. Is this true? If so, what will happen to the popular rides like Hulk?

Just to let you know I will be copywriting this.....Universal could sign Judas Priest :rocker: and call it "The Green Manalishi". Before it starts,the live version could play with Halford saying,"The Green Manalishi with the 2 pronged crown" then boom! with the song playing thruout!:cool:

Mfarquar
07-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I have read in several articles that according to contracts Universal only has unlimited rights to the characters they have already made use of. It seems as though the characters (about 5000) not currently being used may be able to be controlled by Disney due to the original licensing agreement. Universal only has perpetual rights to the existing Marvel attractions and characters who walk around the streets for meet and greets. Anything they haven't added yet will not be grandfathered in or included in licensing rights. In addition, Universal is not allowed to add any new, additional Marvel characters to their parks without explicit permission from Marvel.

Universal has been lax in the past with Marvel character licensing (in 2008 they had characters walking around in the Hollywood park for which they did not renew the license ). I'm sure Disney will be watching for slip-ups like this and will be ready to pounce...

You are right though, DisneyFreak2002 - rumor has it Disney will be looking to try out Marvel in Disneyland. They have leaked a lot of concept art, some for Tomorrowland. They keep leaking and retracting. They all focus on Tony Stark and Iron Man with possible Avenger character involvement. I think they're looking to see what people's reactions are.

Only time will tell!

NJGIRL
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Problem is, Disney cannot use Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, or any other character associates with these characters, Spider Man, Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, The Avengers, etc... Universal has the license rights to all these characters and characters in these families... Including every single X-Men character...

This I did not know. I thought they only had contracts for the characters that they were using on the attractions.

Thanks for the info!

NJGIRL
07-12-2011, 08:13 AM
You are right though, DisneyFreak2002 - rumor has it Disney will be looking to try out Marvel in Disneyland. They have leaked a lot of concept art, some for Tomorrowland. They keep leaking and retracting. They all focus on Tony Stark and Iron Man with possible Avenger character involvement. I think they're looking to see what people's reactions are.

Way back when I read all the info that came out it did say Universal rights were "East of the Mississippi" so Disneyland is fair game from what I got out of it.

Mfarquar
07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
This I did not know. I thought they only had contracts for the characters that they were using on the attractions.

Thanks for the info!

I have heard and read the same thing (which included quotes from Universal execs). My understanding has always been the rights are only for characters already in use at attractions and walking the streets of Marvel Island.