PDA

View Full Version : TSA Question

CajunDisneyDad
07-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Not sure where this will go...maybe an admin can move it to the correct place... But I have a TSA question... for the airports with the body scanners (MSY is one of them) how do they handle young children going through them.. do they allow the parents to hold them, or do they have to walk in on their own... and how does this work... I am worried about ds and the fact that if he has to stand still for any reason, we are in trouble lol.

lylone
07-02-2011, 08:37 AM
For our trip in May at ATL we didn't see them being used at all. Didn't even seen them there, but our flight was early in the morning and they hadn't opened the main security yet. I think they only use them when a passanger fails the initial scan and they have to be scanned further.

teambricker04
07-02-2011, 09:06 AM
We travel a lot and have two DSs ages 6 and 4... We have never had to have the kids go through the body scanners, they are just sent through the regular detector. If they are using the body scanners, they have made DH or I go with the kids and one gets scanned (we always opt for pat down). Remember that you don't have to do the scanner if you don't want, but you need to speak up and ask for a pat down.

Also, every TSA at every airport is different and each can be different every single day. Just make sure to read through the TSA web site to know what to expect!

lawgirl
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
My son was 11 months last time we flew. They just had us walk through the regular detector at both airports. I recently read on the news that there is ALOT of controversy with the TSA policy on children...something about a little girl not standing still enough in the body scanner, so they made her have a pat down even though she was crying and saying no. Alot of people were very upset about this incident, and I believe the TSA issued several statements about working on the protocol for children. I'd check out the TSA website, and call the specific airline / airport directly.

Hopefuly you won't run into any problems. We never have.

brownie
07-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd recommend reviewing the information on the TSA website. I believe you can always request a pat down search if you have concerns with the scanners (or with someone standing still ;) .)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
When we flew out of Providence last month, my 3 year old nephew just had to go through the regular scanner. And he usually has ants in his pants and can't stand still for anything but he made it through fine.

CajunDisneyDad
07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Thank you all for the information. I would like to avoid having DS patted down if at all possible... He doesnt like strangers, much less strangers touching him... The airport that the 6 yr old got the pat down was the same airport we are flying out of. I guess we will just have to see lol.

yankeesfan123
07-04-2011, 04:45 AM
1. If you are one of the very few selected to go through the body scanners, that does not necessarily mean that your entire party would have to go through them.

2. No, you would not be allowed to hold your child. If you did, how could the scanners see around your entire body or the child's entire body?

3. If you are worried that your child will not be able to stand still in the scanner, just opt for a pat down.

4. If you opt for a pat down, you can accompany your child to the screening area. You can then decide if you would like to have the pat down in view of the public, or in a private area. You can remain with your child the entire time, however, you can not touch your child.

I'm young, but I have a knee replacement. I was patted down every single time I flew BEFORE these body scanners came into use because my knee would set off the metal detector. I never found the pat-downs to be a bother, and almost every TSA officer that patted me down had a sense of humor about the situation (some just like to get it over with though).

Now that the new body scanners are in existance, I no longer have to get patted down if I go though the scanner! It's great! For me at least...

YatesMom
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
We just flew June 25 and home June 29 and my older DD ages 8 and 5 walked through the regular detector on their own and I carried DD age 22 months through the regular detector as well and we had no trouble. Hoping all goes equally as smoothly for you!!