PDA

View Full Version : This must be new!!

We LOVE Disney
07-01-2011, 12:46 PM
We have stayed at POR several times and have ALWAYS requested building 14. Sometimes we get 14, sometimes we get 18 I think once we got 27. Those are ALL great locations. Like I said, we have always requested them and realize there are no guarantees. We just got extremely lucky and always got close to what we requested. So, I told the person helping us with our trip to please request one of those buildings. She wrote back to me and said those are all "in the preferred" room category and a bit more expensive". HUH?? We have never been charged more to stay in one of those buildings! Did POR have a makeover since 2008 and make the rooms in those buildings bigger or something?

I've just never heard of being charged more for a certain location/building on this property. I'm not sure how much more.......we shall see!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I believe I read something in the last year that they now have preferred sections.....

DizneyRox
07-01-2011, 01:58 PM
If people are requesting them, then seems to reason they are preferred. Preferred status usually warrants more money.

We LOVE Disney
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I understand why preferred would be more money but they should at least make the rooms a little bigger don't you think? Also, I wonder why they don't list those buildings as "preferred" when you go to the Disney site to look at the room rates :confused:

Strmchsr
07-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I understand why preferred would be more money but they should at least make the rooms a little bigger don't you think? Also, I wonder why they don't list those buildings as "preferred" when you go to the Disney site to look at the room rates :confused:

Preferred doesn't mean a bigger or different room. It's location, pure and simple. Everyone wants to be close to the main building and buses so law of supply and demand says the high demand rooms would be more expensive.

One other option (and I don't know about this, just speculating) I know POFQ got some "royal" room upgrades with new theming. Did POR? Could these rooms now be part of that? One other thing - "preferred" buildings sometimes change seasonally based on demand.

darthmacho
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Aren't there some Pirate themed rooms there now? Perhaps that is one of them? :mickey:

Jillirose
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Preferred doesn't One other option (and I don't know about this, just speculating) I know POFQ got some "royal" room upgrades with new theming. Did POR?

I was wondering the same thing....

We LOVE Disney
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I looked into those themed rooms but they only hold 4 people and we have 5.

Apparently I got my reservation for next June booked just in time because she told me there is actually only a preferred room left now for my dates. All other room categories are sold out so she held it for me :mickey: I told her to go ahead and book it!

I am all booked for next June :party::yay::cloud9:

Thank you Karen at Magical Journeys!! She had to put up with a TON of questions from me :blush:

Fangorn
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder why they don't list those buildings as "preferred" when you go to the Disney site to look at the room rates

Actually, they do - sorta. Although not called out specifically by building number, the booking website has this blurb under the "preferred" category:

These rooms offer close proximity to the registration building, dining, transportation and Resort amenities.

This is a relatively recent change (earlier this year I believe), and is undoubtedly due to the popularity of those buildings.

Steve

buzznwoodysmom
07-01-2011, 04:46 PM
The preferred category has nothing to do with room size or themeing. Those rooms listed as preferred are priced higher because of location. These rooms are closer to the main buliding, food courts, and main pool. A few years ago they did this at some of the values, and over the past several years I've seen the moderate resorts do the same thing.

I may be mistaken, but I think the "royal" room redo is only at POR. I don't think French Quarter got any themed rooms. If I'm wrong about that I'm sure someone will correct me.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Exactly!

POFQ got an upgrade this year, but the rooms are still "regular" rooms, although queen beds and flat-screen TV's are among the improvements.

POR is getting the new "Royal" rooms, converting some of the mansions. The rest of the resort is getting updated as well, but keeping the original theming.

The "preferred" rooms at POR was a new category in 2010, and simply means the rooms closest to the main building and the south depot bus stop. My guess is that there were so many people requesting them that Disney realized that they could charge extra for them. There is nothing else different about the rooms, they are just closer the main building.

We LOVE Disney
07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know which buildings are the preferred buildings? I did book one of them and was just curious as to which one we might end up in :)

Melanie
07-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know which buildings are the preferred buildings? I did book one of them and was just curious as to which one we might end up in :)

14, 15, 18 and 27 are the preferred buildings at Riverside.

We LOVE Disney
07-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Checkers
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Aren't there some Pirate themed rooms there now? Perhaps that is one of them? :mickey:

I believe the Pirate themed rooms are located at the CBR.