PDA

View Full Version : Anyone holding off until MK renovations are complete?

goofynmd
07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
We have a room booked right now for the week after Thanksgiving (because of a pin code I received). I am so torn on whether I want to go or not. I keep trying to weigh the pros and cons.
PROS
Anxious to go back!
DS2 will be free
DS1 will be in first grade so missing a week of school won't be a big deal
Great room rate
Good time of the year to go
DH and DS1 want to ride the new Star Tours

CONS
Higher airfare
Renovations in MK not complete

While it is only 2 cons, they are big ones in my opinion. Is anyone else not taking a trip this year or next, just waiting for Fantasyland to be complete?

DisneyDINK
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
If it were me I would wait.

I don't think the air fare is the issue; there's no telling what oil prices, the economy and travel demand will do later on. Your future plane ticket could be better or could be worse.

I'm kind of in the same boat, go this December or next December. I'm leaning toward 2012. I can save up and get a nicer room and I just went in in Jan of 2011 and I don't want to get too familiar with WDW or feel like I have to go every year. It looks like you are on a 2 yearish pattern too.

In another year DS2 will be older and better able to experience and remember more of the parks, etc. And, yes, it would be cool to wait until the Fantasyland improvements are done.

As much as I'd love to get a Pin code I don't want that to dictate when I travel.

My 2 cents anyhow.

Tygger7
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Personally, I wouldn't wait to go because of either of those "cons"....some other "pros" you didn't mention are:

-Christmas decorations are up
-MVMCP
-Low crowds

The Fantasyland expansion is most definitely not a deal-breaker, IMHO. To wait until its completion means you won't go again until 2013. Since you have a pin code, and given the yearly price increases, I suggest going now and taking advantage of the "pros". We're going down from 12/11 - 12/19 because we also got a pin code, and I've never been there to see the Christmas decorations before.

Just my two cents....but there are so many other things to do that I wouldn't wait.

Now I will say this...I plan on going back for our 25th wedding anniversary in May 2013 for 14 days. :mickey:

disneymom15
07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Not holding us back at all. We go often. Right now we have 2 trips planned and are wanting to add January into the mix. We'll be there also right after Thanksgiving. Love all the Christmas decorations.

WDWfanatic742
07-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll also chime in that by the end of the Fantasyland expansion in 2013, don't be surprised if Tomorrowland or more likely Frontierland is starting to get their own refurbishments/expansions.

Madame Leona
07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought about waiting but it seems like there is always construction or rehabs/refurbs going on. I would rather use the end of construction as a reason to go instead of a reason to wait. Plus, life is short and so much could change between now and then. If you have the funds and WANT to go on a vacation, you should go.

faline
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Not waiting - have already been a few times since construction started and will be there again before it is finished.

TheVBs
07-01-2011, 07:24 PM
It's not keeping us from going this year. There are way too many other things to do. We go every other year, so our next trip will be in 2013. We'll see the new additions then. :mickey:

We LOVE Disney
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know what WILL be done next summer?

WDWfanatic742
07-01-2011, 09:06 PM
If everything stays on schedule and they haven't changed any more plans recently, I'm thinking maybe The Little Mermaid and the Beast Castle. That's a big if though, because so far we've gotten no official updates on how it is going and dates for opening yet. Also we don't know if some stuff will be ready before others if they will open those early or wait for the entire land to be ready and then open it all at once...

Katzateer
07-02-2011, 07:03 AM
You shouldn't miss the decorations at the resorts and parks. Holidays are the best at WDW.

And I wouldn't wait because of construction- never know for sure when that will be done and Fantasyland isn't any different they are just adding to it. Everything was open when I went in April.

alaMode
07-03-2011, 10:07 PM
We've been visiting twice a year, but I'm only planning one visit in June 2012. I'm going to make it a longer one, but then we'll probably hold off until the renovation is complete. I'm hoping it will be ready for an October 2013 trip!

Then again, I may not be able to stay away for 16+ months!

MinnieMommie
07-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I say bite the bullet and go now since you are able! The airfare may (or may not) be more if you wait but if it is your 2 yr old may no longer be free. Also, there are usually some sort of renovations going on so now is as good a time as any. Enjoy the beautiful holiday decorations and festivities! :mickey:

FriendsofMickey
07-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I would go this year. Life is so unpredictable, you never know what will come between now and 2013.

LisaP
07-04-2011, 12:00 AM
No way. Life is short. Time is a gift ... that's why it's called the present.

It's just a good excuse to go back when Fantasyland IS complete. Where there's a will, there's a way! :goodbad:

Disney4us2
07-04-2011, 12:33 AM

It's just a good excuse to go back when Fantasyland IS complete. Where there's a will, there's a way! :goodbad:

Well said...love it.

We are not waiting either. I am used to the land of walls at California Adventure. Just makes me more excited to see the finished project when the walls come down.

tdk316
07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
If you can afford the trip now without going into any debt, go for it. Hate to sound morbid, but I've had too many friends and family members die suddenly while their kids were young who missed out on a lot while they were waiting for the perfect moment.

Jeffybob
07-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Renovations are never a deal breaker. There is always something going on at some point in time.

We are set for a visit in Sept/Oct before and after a cruise on the Magic. The great thing about WDW is that there is always Magic happening somewhere in the Land.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Ms. Mode
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM

I agree!

Lizzie
07-07-2011, 10:57 PM
We are in the same boat. We haven't been to DW since 2007. But have been to Disneyland a few times since than. We were going to go this year but we had a surprise child last year so we are going to wait one more year.

We have 4 girls the twins will be 6 and than a 3 year old and a 2 year old. We haven't been back to DW just because getting on and off busses with a lot of little kids is a lot of work.

But we want to go for a couple of weeks on our next trip and are a little worried about Fantasyland being torn up with a house full of girls. But if we wait a year will have to pay for the youngest.

DisneyPrincess21
07-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I say go for it! Why wait? There will always be something new happening that you could wait till it's ready, but why keep waiting when there is already so much great stuff to see and do? With as unpredictable as our world is right now, and how you never know what may happen in your life down the road, I always try to live in the present and enjoy my life as much as I can *now*.

On a side note, I know a family that just returned from WDW and they said they didn't even notice the MK construction and they had so much fun it wasn't even given a second thought while they were there.

I say go have time celebrating with your family. Then when MK is all done, you'll have an excuse to go back again to see all the new additions :thumbsup:

eeyorepoohfan
07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Do what you think is best for your family! If you can afford it, then go for it! If you are itching to go, then go! And if you can afford to go again after the Fantasyland expansion is complete, then you have another trip to look forward to then! My DH and I went last December and really weren't bothered by the construction. However, we are not planning another trip until 2013. Mainly because we want to try to wait to go back when Fantasyland is complete. We also want to try to go in October to see the fall decorations (we've always gone at Christmas). For us to be able to afford it, we will need to wait until 2013 and then all of Fantasyland should be done and open. No telling what their next project will be, but we don't mind construction. Trust me, if we had the money to go this year, we would in a heartbeat! My DH is even going through withdrawls! However, to make up for the lack of Disney, we will be going to Disneyland next fall (2012) for a few days! This will be our first no-Disney trip year in a couple of years. It's a struggle to get through it, but to know we have 2 trips in the next two years to look forward to, I think I can make it!

caryrae
07-09-2011, 11:09 AM
With me the anxious to go back to WDW part always seems outweigh any cons.

That's right since you never know what the future holds.

alliekat
07-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I think you should go whenever you can. My family and I almost didn't go 1 year and we were all upset about this. And there will be low crowds.:mickey: