PDA

View Full Version : Woman sues Disney for negligence in collision with ferry

brownie
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Woman sues Disney for negligence in collision with ferry
A woman was injured in a two-person rental boat that crashed with a ferry, the suit says.

By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
1:10 p.m. EDT, June 30, 2011

A English woman injured when a small watercraft her husband rented at Walt Disney World collided with a ferry last year is suing the Central Florida resort, court records show.

The suit, filed in April, states that Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts was negligent when the resort allowed Michael Wormald to rent the watercraft at Cap'n Jack's Marina inDowntown Disney.

The small, two-person "Sea Raycers" craft collided with a ferry, injuring Wormald's wife Barbara Wormald, the suit says. It says Michael Wormald drove the boat and his wife was a passenger.

In her suit, Barbara Wormald claims that her husband was not given any instruction, had no experience piloting such a craft and should not have been allowed to rent and use it.

The couple live in Skipton, England, and have a vacation home in Osceola County. Authorities initially reported Barbara Wormald, then 61, suffered a collapsed lung, fractured ribs andback pain.

joonyer
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
She should read the "small print" on the rental contract. Can you spell "w-a-i-v-e-r". Why would she get in the boat with her husband if he was so unqualified to operate it. Any 10 year old kid could drive one of those things without running into a ship.

big blue and hairy
06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
She should read the "small print" on the rental contract. Can you spell "w-a-i-v-e-r". Why would she get in the boat with her husband if he was so unqualified to operate it. Any 10 year old kid could drive one of those things without running into a ship.

I would be quite surprised if he got no instruction. I have rented them several times and always get instruction, even when they know I've rented before.

How big an idiot do you have to be to not know that you shouldn't drive a tiny boat next to a very big boat? Really?

:sulley:

CanadianWDWFan
06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
So the waivers we all sign mean nothing. Step up and take responsibility for your own actions. The courts and judges need to really do something about these kind of suits.

KylesMom
06-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Man, I remember when this happened - in fact, I'm sure the story is in the archives. I agree, it's not that difficult to realize that you are the "small fish" and you need to stay away from the "big ones". Unbelievable. :(

ChipNDale79
06-30-2011, 04:40 PM
This really annoys me, people really need to take responsibity for their on actions.

Because the stupidity of one person I bet the boat rental will go away. Stupid stupid stupid.

brownie
06-30-2011, 04:48 PM
If you didn't know how to operate the boat, why would you get in it? Maybe he suffers from that stereotypical man disease that keeps men from stopping to ask directions.

If Disney should have known better than to rent the boat to them, the couple certainly should have known they shouldn't be operating it.

WDWfanatic742
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I was wondering when these people were gonna sue, it was quicker than I thought it would be...

In her suit, Barbara Wormald claims that her husband was not given any instruction, had no experience piloting such a craft and should not have been allowed to rent and use it.

Yeah because even if they didn't instruct you on how to control the craft, they forced you into riding and wouldn't let you get off because you had no experience and reason for riding it. Yup, sure.

The average human being today is just so...wait, there is no word to describe it...

DVC2004
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Don't you have to sign a waiver when you rent one anyway? And yes we have rented them on a few occassions and ALWAYS do they give instructions to you before you go off on your way. I don't see this one going anywhere...

BrerSchultzy
06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
So...if I post something idiotic on Intercot, should i sue Dell for making the computer, or Charter Communications for giving me access to the Internet?

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-30-2011, 05:31 PM
:spend: Its all about the money....nobody has to take responsibility for their own actions anymore

tazlikesrobots
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
This really annoys me, people really need to take responsibity for their on actions.

Because the stupidity of one person I bet the boat rental will go away. Stupid stupid stupid.

Completely agree! IMHO these people are after a quick buck.....

TheVBs
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM
The average human being today is just so...wait, there is no word to describe it...

Yes there is. You just can't post it here.

dyin tago
06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
sure, do your lawsuit and maybe disney will do away with the boat rentals and ruin it for the rest of us:mad: hmmm, no instruction so I am to stunned to know not to drive tiny little boat close to very big boat.

morons

KAT1811
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes there is. You just can't post it here.

:thumbsup:

Joannelet
07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I havent rented a water craft in about 9 years there but to this day I remember the instructions that we had to get to the side if we saw any of the ferry boats. They had the right of way. So yes they definitely gave us clear directions and we signed a waiver. I really dont think this will go anywhere as the waivers do matter....that is why they have them. And you are right why would you ever get into a boat wirh someone who you thought was inexperienced to drive? Those things dont require too much brain. We were with 2 other boats and we didnt even crash into eachother never mind a huge boat. I mean you do have to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. Its like driving a car!

JPL
07-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I think Disney should shock the World and file counter suit for damages to their boats!

diz_girl
07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
[b]In her suit, Barbara Wormald claims that her husband was not given any instruction, had no experience piloting such a craft and should not have been allowed to rent and use it.

The lawsuit should be dropped because the couple was negligent, since they didn't tell Disney that they were stupid.

As for the comment from a pp about a ten year old being able to drive it without crashing, I think that I was ten when I first drove one and I had no problems whatsoever. How hard is it really? Rule #1 - don't get in the way of another boat, especially a bigger one.

wildernesslady
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
They obviously have no common sense if they did not get out of the way of the ferry. There is no way they should win this.

Ed
07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
The original thread about this accident can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=170001&highlight=boat).

Looking over that thread, I still disagree with the assertion that the "ferry boat" was about 60 feet long. I have never seen a boat that long along the Sassagoula River. The very largest might be 30 feet, but nowhere near 60 feet. News media reporters have often been known to exaggerate...

Stevadore
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
"The average human being today is just so...wait, there is no word to describe it..."[/QUOTE]

The word I have been using alot lately for these type folks is: OBLIVIOUS!
It's a BIG lagoon. Big Ferry. They manage to get into a chicken match with it ? Does she still let him drive her in the car?
I hope this doesn't lead to taking intelligence tests before entering the gate... on the other hand...much shorter lines!

Itchy
07-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Lets see?

You borrow a friends car, you dont have a drivers license, your wife knows you dont know how to drive. Your wife rides with you and you wreak the car.

Sue your friend for letting you have the car. Problem solved..

Who is the dummy?

akaDisneyDreamer
07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=diz_girl;2184994]The lawsuit should be dropped because the couple was negligent, since they didn't tell Disney that they were stupid.

Love it! :thumbsup:

marlyn
07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I think Disney should shock the World and file counter suit for damages to their boats!

:funny::funny:

CaptainSad
07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Someone mentioned even a 10 year old can operate one. I beg to differ... A few years ago I was in mine and out of nowhere was hit on the left side by some little runt that had no clue what he was doing. The impact was such that I had to get back to the Contemporary so it didn't sink. The bow of the kids craft hit and cracked the side and rode up on mine and hit me in the arm. I wasn't to worried about the arm. I was woried that I was out in the middle of the Lagoon and water was dribbling in. I had one hell of a bruise from it. They had me checked out and I had to fill out all kinds of forms. They were afraid I was going to sue. I wasn't going to do that because I didn't want to be banned from Disney for suing. They have a habit of settling and having you sign forms not to set foot on Disney property again. I love the place to much. Besides I liked all the attention and things I got for free... They handled it well and it was not their fault.

CaptainSad
07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Isn't it the larger boat has the right of way under maritime law? I mean it takes longer for them to stop compared to it's smaller conterpart.

Ms. Mode
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM

I love it!

RBrooksC
07-05-2011, 03:34 PM
The first thing they tell you is the "big boats" have the right of way. Steer clear of them. They told that two me twice.

And what kind of instruction does one need. Push the lever forward to go faster. Pull back to reverse and in the middle is neutral. Turn the wheel left to go left and right to go right.

It is a slow speed boat. It isn't rocket science. This is just a idiot wife with a stupid husband. Or, they are very savvy, crashed on purpose and made up this story for the money.

SBETigg
07-05-2011, 03:47 PM
It is a slow speed boat. It isn't rocket science. This is just a idiot wife with a stupid husband. Or, they are very savvy, crashed on purpose and made up this story for the money.

I'm going with the crashed on purpose theory. But even if it was an accident, they both got in the boat and drove away from the dock knowing what kind of instruction they had and if they felt it was satisfactory. If they had questions, they could have stayed in the dock and requested more instruction.They clearly chose to proceed anyway. Ridiculous suit.

DisneyOtaku
07-24-2011, 11:06 AM
1) Bigger boats ALWAYS have the right of way. It's not only common sense, but they ALWAYS tell you that before you rent one.

2)They also always tell you how to operate it and have you sign a waver.

3) Those little boats they were driving? Yeah. Not rocket science to figure out how to drive them....

texas211
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
So...if I post something idiotic on Intercot, should i sue Dell for making the computer, or Charter Communications for giving me access to the Internet?

Should sell Charter anyway, they deserve it for any number of reasons.

I don't understand is, if they received no instruction, and he had no idea what he was doing, why did they leave the dock?

I guess turn, fwd, off and back, are too complicated.

texas211
07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Lets see?

You borrow a friends car, you dont have a drivers license, your wife knows you dont know how to drive. Your wife rides with you and you wreak the car.

Sue your friend for letting you have the car. Problem solved..

Who is the dummy?

Who is the bigger fool, the fool or the fool that follows.

iceicebritney
07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
This is sad. I really will be upset if the water mice are taken away because of this. Personal responsibility people!

luvdiznee
07-24-2011, 10:48 PM
This lawsuit does fall under stupid. And she should be embarrassed saying her husband didn't know what the h*ll he was doing!

These type of lawsuits are the ones that should be counter sued. So the person bringing on something so ridiculous will be made to pay for being so ridiculous.

It may make others think twice before filing something so idiotic.

brian2000boston
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Greed, i hope Disney fights this to the end.

Lizzy
07-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Oh yeah, JPL is my hero :thumbsup: