PDA

View Full Version : What the hey? Let's just go to Disneyworld Pre-Trip Report - August 14-24

Mickey'sGirl
06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Awesome cast of characters:

Me (Jennifer )
Brian (My partner in crime for 38 of my 42 years – CanadianWDWFan)
Harry (Just turned 13, is growing like a weed and is ALWAYS hungry)
Euan (7 years old and loves all things Disney, especially Mickey)

So, we weren’t going to go to Disneyworld this year. I was exhausted after our trip last May, a bit put off by the cost of EVERYTHING, and the lackluster food. I thought “Let’s rent a house on the beach and do NOTHING for 2 weeks”. It was a good plan, but knowing my family, that would be great for the first 8 hours, and then we would be chomping at the bit for something to see. So my dear husband said “What the hey? Let’s just go to Disneyworld”. I agreed. The boys need to top up their :bar: :bar:quotient anyhow. ;)

We originally booked ourselves into the All Star Sports (we really really like All Star Sports), but our DS13 has grown so much this year (He is over 6’2” going into this trip, and who knows where he’ll be by the time we come home?), we figure we need bigger beds. So an e-mail to Magical Journeys secured us a room with an Annual Pass Discount for 10 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter, where Queen sized beds are now the norm (Thanks Terrisue!). The other great thing about the French Quarter is that we can use our Tables in Wonderland card at the Food Court there!

We own points with Disney Vacation Club, so we are able to purchase Annual Passes at a discount, and when the price increases were announced at the beginning of June, I was all over that, and quickly called DVC to purchase our Annual Passes before the prices went up on the Sunday. We figure the savings on purchasing them before the price increase will cover the cost of our Tables in Wonderland Card. Fabulous! And since we are planning next year’s holiday to occur in July, our APs and the TinW card will still be active … even more savings!

Initially, we got out our schedule and made daily dining choices for our 11 days at the parks. We all put in our opinions, and at 180 days out, Brian called and arranged everything. No problem. Then we got to thinking … We don’t want to eat at all these overpriced, not-as-good-as-they-used-to-be restaurants. So at 90 days, we went back and cancelled all but a few. We kept Kouzzina (My DS13s favourite restaurant), Brown Derby (as part of the Fantasmic! Package. We all love the Brown Derby.), Biergarten (It’s fun, and DH is a German), The Grand Floridian (for the burger Harry and I have dreamt about for years) and Chef Mickey’s (DS7’s favourite place to see Mickey). We decided we will not pay inflated prices for mediocrity again this year. We figure we will visit some of our favourite Counter Service locations such as the Tangierine Café and Puck’s Express, as well as trying new places such as Bongo’s Cuban Café, where there is a take away window that serves empanadas for under $2 …. Perfect for the always hungry 13 year old! And if the mood strikes, we can try and make reservations when and if we care to when we are down there.

Then, at just 44 days away from our adventure, I asked Brian to find out how much it would cost us to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I figure if we aren’t spending as much in the restaurants as I have budgeted, then just maybe, we might be able to make a switch. As usual, Terrisue got us the best deal possible, and combining that with the money we will NOT be spending in Table Service eateries this year, my dear Brian changed our reservation, and WE WILL BE STAYING AT THE ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE! Yay! We were to have stayed there last year, but when Brian changed jobs, we had to change our holiday around, and we didn’t do it. So here we go!!

We will leave Toronto after dinner on the Friday, cross the border through Buffalo and hit Pittsburg before calling it a night, then get up and on the road early, and decide en route whether to go all the way, or stop again a couple of hours out from Disney. I think this is what we might do, because we all love stopping at the Visitor’s Center at the Florida border, and we will miss it if we travel through at night. The boys stock up on maps, and I stock up on free juice! So in all likelihood we will make a second stop on our way down (we usually only do one overnight, but what the hey? We’re on holiday!) and arrive at the Animal Kingdom Lodge around lunchtime on Sunday.

Our only real plans while we are down are to see Fantasmic! :smickey:(Which we haven’t seen since we were at Disneyland in 2008!), the boys want to ride the new Star Tours :trooper:(I don’t think my head or tummy will let me ride it), and to visit with friends of ours who live in the area, and others who will be visiting the parks at the same time we are. We are get up and go in the morning types who go back to the hotel during the day to swim and hang out. We then go back to a park at nighttime when it is cooler. The boys have spent over 100 days at the parks so far, so they are not hyper about getting to do this or running to see that. They understand that there will be another visit if we don’t get around to something this time. It’s a fabulous way to visit Disneyworld, and one of the reasons why we keep coming back!

So there you have it. We’re excited. Both Brian and I have countdown widgets on our phones, and Euan (who has MAD computing skills) keeps track in his head. Harry is simply thinking about dinner at Kouzzina’s. Just a few more weeks!!

princessgirls
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Sounds Amazing!!!

We will overlap by a few days!! We are heading to WDW on 8/20. Magic Magic Magic...it's calling our name!!!

Julie:mickey:

Melanie
06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Your plans sound great Jen! And woohoo on AKL! We stayed there in January and LOVED it. You guys surely will too. My boys loved the bunk beds.

Sure hope I can at least infringe a bit on your time and say hi while you are here. :mickey:

Disney4us2
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
We will be at AKL basically during the same time:thumbsup: We may just run into each other on the busses. Sounds like a great trip planned. Have fun:mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Your plans sound great Jen! And woohoo on AKL! We stayed there in January and LOVED it. You guys surely will too. My boys loved the bunk beds.

Sure hope I can at least infringe a bit on your time and say hi while you are here. :mickey:
I think that we could squeeze it in!:D

As a side note, we just picked up our brand spanking new car yesterday. I quickly figured we will save about $200 in gas over our SUV that we were planning on taking. Also, nothing like approaching the 6 week mark and have only 16 days of work left before we go!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a great plan

disneymom15
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, you've known each other since you were
4! That's awsome.

Mickey'sGirl
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, you've known each other since you were
4! That's awsome.
He's much older than me ... He was 6 ;)

Anyone know if the Standard Rooms all have bunk beds? My sons are autistic, and the bunk beds will not work.

MizMissy
06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Anyone know if the Standard Rooms all have bunk beds? My sons are autistic, and the bunk beds will not work.

You should be okay. You actually have to request (and I think pay extra) for a room with bunk beds, standard rooms are two queens.

Have a great trip!! We loved hanging out at the pool at AKL (except if the wind changed and you were greeted with a strong odor of the neighboring flamingos :blush:). The kids activities around the pool were great. We also loved spending time in the main lobby. The lounge (I think Sunset lounge?) had kids activities in the late afternoon/early evenings and DH and I were able to enjoy a cocktail while DD participated in the activities and DS hung out a few steps outside the lounge watching old Donald Duck cartoons.

AKL is beautiful and relaxing and just a wonderful experience.

disneymom15
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
We stayed at AKL Jambo House in Dec and our room had 2 queen beds. Loved the resort.

wildernesslady
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
It sounds like you have a great holiday planned. We also feel fortunate that we able to visit WDW enough to be able to take our time. The AKL is on my list for our next resort stay. I hope you enjoy it.

KylesMom
06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I was just beginning my pre-trip this morning when I saw yours. Glad to see that you're family is going back, Jenn. It sounds very laid-back anyway with the lack of ADRs - and of course no Star Wars Weekends this trip. :D How cool that you were able to jump up a few classes & will now be guests at AKL. I bet the boys are going to love it.

You got me thinking about how many days the boys have spent in the parks. I'll have to ask Kyle to think about this one & give me a count - that's a pretty cool thing to know - especially at their age(s). :mickey:

Happy Countdown, Jenn & Brian! Give us a rundown upon your return to let us know what a great time you had! :cloud9:

faline
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
What a lovely, laid back trip you have planned! Animal Kingdom Lodge is such a nice place to stay - especially if you want to spend time at your resort!

Can't wait to read your latest installment of trip reports - I've always enjoyed your past reports!

Nascfan
06-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a great trip Jennifer. Your family will love AKL! We're get up and go types too and found it tough to leave the animals in the mornings.

DizNee143
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
yay thats awesome you guys have decided to go to disney!!
sounds like its going to be a great time!!
i cant wait to read all about it when you guys get back..
hope you all have a blast..:mickey:

vizsla
07-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Have a great time and a safe trip.

brian2000boston
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Sounds like it will be a nice relaxed trip, have lots of fun.

Christine
07-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Abuelos abuelos abuelos!!!

And dont forget - John wants a "tree of syrup"

CanadianWDWFan
07-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Abuelos abuelos abuelos!!!

And dont forget - John wants a "tree of syrup"
We can do Abuelos everynight!:D

As for the tree of syrup, it is already packed and will be accompanied by a field of strawberry jam.:)

MinnieMommie
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
What a nice spontaneous relaxed sounding trip. I agree with you about the food and your food planning sounds perfect. AKL is fantastic. I hope your family likes it. Never been in a room with bunks there. Look forward to reading your trip report.:mickey:

Christine
07-04-2011, 01:48 AM
We can do Abuelos everynight!:D

As for the tree of syrup, it is already packed and will be accompanied by a field of strawberry jam.:)

Nice!!!!! :thumbsup:

January-2007
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the pretrip report, happy travels!

Dsnygirl
07-07-2011, 01:09 AM
:mickey: Jenn, I loved finding your pre-trip.... and I love your plans!! So laid back & relaxed... just the way to do it. (We're going to try very hard.... :blush:) Can't wait to overlap and maybe hit Abuelos all together, share some rides and of course, we'll be visiting your lovely resort! :thumbsup: So glad you guys are getting to stay there... you are going to absolutely LOVE it. (And of course, you're more than welcome to come hit the pirate's pool, as well! :pirate:)

Can't wait to read your trip reports, and be a part of them, too! :D

(and Brian, I hear ya on the work days... I was just counting mine off on my drive in tonight... :))

CanadianWDWFan
07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Two weeks today and we will be all checked in!! Getting pretty excited as we are so close to being there and the anticipation is almost too much to bear. I think that I am more excited than the kids!:D

DisneyorBust
07-31-2011, 09:40 PM
It looks like you and your family have a great vacation planned!
Enjoy the countdown and have a safe trip 'home' to the World!

Dsnygirl
07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Two weeks today and we will be all checked in!! Getting pretty excited as we are so close to being there and the anticipation is almost too much to bear. I think that I am more excited than the kids!:D

Ditto... I keep doing a little mini "happy dance" and it just cracks the girls up. :blush: We looked through old albums tonight and it made the next two weeks seem agonizingly long... ;)

RedSoxFan
07-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Have a wonderful trip. AKL is a wonderful resort.:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
08-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Whew! Thats one heck of a drive for you guys! Congrats on your new vehicle, thats a great feeling!
Enjoy each moment, I love the joy in your posts!!!

Suz36
08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
The anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

Regarding the bunk beds, we were "upgraded" without requesting them, so I would suggest having it noted on your reservation that for medical reasons they would not be acceptable. Enjoy the resort! As another poster stated, depsite the go, go, go park-lovers we are, we also had a hard time leaving the animals in the morning!

Have a magical trip!

snowflakegirl
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Have a great trip!! I stayed at AKL last summer and absolutely LOVED it. :mickey: Enjoy.