PDA

View Full Version : NHL Off Season

Melanie
06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Holy cow - I'm about to lose my mind down here with the suspense on TB re-signing (or possibly NOT :jaw: ) Stamkos. lol!

We've had a couple re-signings and there are still more to come. Never knew the off-season could be so fun!

So how are your teams doing so far?

brivers222
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
We will be doing very fine if Kenny Holland can resist the urge to sign the european primadonna Jagr.... But then again, the Wings is where the old farts go to die... so it would totally fit our M.O.

BraddyB
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
You dont need to worry, Jagr is coming home to Pittsburgh!! He wants to begin and end his career as a Penguin lifting the Stanley Cup :D

Melanie
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
So fill me in on Jagr. Remember, I am a new NHL fan. Seems this guy has quite the reputation?

sportsguy2315
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
So fill me in on Jagr. Remember, I am a new NHL fan. Seems this guy has quite the reputation?

Yes he does. Among his accomplishments:

Drafted 5th overall in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft by the Penguins
Two Stanley Cups with Pittsburgh in 1991 and 1992
Often a top scorer in the NHL, led the NHL in scoring 5 times, and is the highest scoring European trained player in league history.
Three time winner of the Lindsay Award (MVP as voted by the players) and winner of the Hart Trophy (MVP as voted by media)
Carried the flag for the Czech Republic at the opening ceremonies at the Vancouver Olympics last year.

So yes, the guy does have quite a reputation. I have two questions that I'd want answered before I make an offer to Jagr though:

1. Has his game suffered any deterioration since he left for the KHL (a pro hockey league in Eastern Europe)? Typically, the only reason why you do go to the KHL or any European league in general is if you're not good enough to play in either the NHL or AHL or if there's no interest in you.

2. Is the commitment there? In other words, is he going to give 110% out on the ice, or does it seem like a money grab? Jagr talked about coming back during the summer of 2008 with Edmonton, but that didn't happen as he went back to Russia.

Melanie
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
So yes, the guy does have quite a reputation.

Thanks for the stats sportsguy. Maybe I have him confused with someone else, but I was under the impression he's not well liked. :shrug:

Well, Lightning just re-signed Roli for a year. Good deal! Now, if we could get the Stamkos deal done. :wait:

JPL
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the stats sportsguy. Maybe I have him confused with someone else, but I was under the impression he's not well liked. :shrug:

Nope Mel not confused he's not very well liked at all! I for one don't like him at all and was hoping he continued to rot away in the KHL!

sportsguy2315
06-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Nope Mel not confused he's not very well liked at all! I for one don't like him at all and was hoping he continued to rot away in the KHL!

That's the Devils fan talking :secret:

BraddyB
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
I like him and I am welcoming him back to Pittsburgh with open arms. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised that Flyers fan that does the Podcasts hasn't said anything yet. Where are ya????? :D

Melanie, he left Pittsburgh on a sour note, but believe me, there is a huge buzz and lots of happiness he might be back.

JPL
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Funny most Pittsburgh fans I know don't want him back! The same can be said for the Caps & Ranger fans I know! They all say the same thing about him he's great when the team is winning but is magically injured the second the team hits a bad stretch and recovers when they start winning again!

Melanie
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
:faint:

JPL
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Well if this doesn't make Pittsburgh fans hate Jagr nothing will! Jagr to the Flyers! Now we will all hear Ian boast about about how great Jagr is after bashing him all those years! ;)

Melanie
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
So Jagr is a Flyer? LOL! This is like a soap opera.

Ian
07-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Well if this doesn't make Pittsburgh fans hate Jagr nothing will! Jagr to the Flyers! Now we will all hear Ian boast about about how great Jagr is after bashing him all those years! ;)Uh no. I still hate him and I'm :ack: that he's a Flyer.

He'll probably bomb out in camp and never see real play anyway. He's a washed up stiff.

barnaby
07-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Uh no. I still hate him and I'm :ack: that he's a Flyer.

He'll probably bomb out in camp and never see real play anyway. He's a washed up stiff.

Ian, what do you think of the Flyers moves? They blew this team up!!!
I've never liked Carter and heard Richards was a locker room problem.

Not a fan of the Jagr move and don't like the idea of not resigning Leino.
I have no idea what to expect next season.

Ian
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Ian, what do you think of the Flyers moves?I think that, like many times in the past, they took a decent idea and went too far with it.

First off, they essentially mortgaged the whole team to sign Bryzgalov because everyone said they needed a goalie. They did need a goalie, but I'm not convinced that A. their goalie wasn't already on the roster (I would have given either Leighton or Bob a real shot before I blew the team up) and B. that Bryzgalov is the guy to build a Stanley Cup winner around. He's only got a career .916 save percentage which isn't exactly blowing-the-doors-off great.

Then they dealt both Richards and Carter, which I also think was a bad move. Carter never lived up to his potential and was injury prone, so I would have dealt him as a message to the rest of the team and then given Richards one more season to step up. I also would have kept Leino.

I just don't see blowing up a team that was in the Finals two seasons ago. I'm not really on board with these moves at all and signing Jagr is just the disgusting icing on this bizarre cake.

BraddyB
07-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Ian I want my Talbot back !!!!!!!! :mad:

brivers222
07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Wings just signed my friend, Chris Conner, to a one-year deal!

I hope this all works out and then in a few years we can reunite Ryan Kesler and Chris Conner on the Wings :)

Totally excited right now for the upcoming season!!!