PDA

View Full Version : Home made Water Chair for pool at the Beach Club

spoiledraf
06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
We'll be visiting the BC in 6 weeks. My Niece is in a wheel chair and her father created a "water chair" for in the pool out of heavy PVC plastic tubing with standard wheel chair wheels on it. He's very talented and managed to make it in a way that it can be disassembled and fits into a 24x24 military duffle bag and they'll just bring it as a piece of luggage.
My fear is they won't let him bring it into the pool in the zero entrance end. Anybody have any experience in anyone doing such a thing????

alaMode
06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
That sounds awesome! I would call the BC and ask if they already have a water wheelchair, and if not, can you bring your own!

I know they have them at the water parks, so they may have one at your resort, esp. since the pool has a zero-entrance.

Good luck and please keep us posted-we're planning a visit to the BC next year!

spoiledraf
06-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I didnt know they had them at the water parks. I read that I believe GF also has one. My fear is that the wheels are not the plastic wheels on a regular water chair. Plus since it's a sand entry, the thin wheels may be a problem. She loves the water and they use a lift at their pool at home. Here's hoping there arent any problems! :thumbsup:

alaMode
06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
That sounds awesome! I would call the BC and ask if they already have a water wheelchair, and if not, can you bring your own!

I know they have them at the water parks, so they may have one at your resort, esp. since the pool has a zero-entrance.

Good luck and please keep us posted-we're planning a visit to the BC next year!

ChipDale2708
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Definitely call the BC and find out about using something like that at SAB. I do know they have a wheelchair device that will lower her into the pool. I wasn't paying close attention, but I saw a guard working w/ a family and then take a guest into the pool using it in May. Have a great time!

steamboat willy
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I know the Polynesian Resort HAS a lift, HAS a zero-entrance pool and HAS a chair for use in their pool. :thumbsup:
Check with BC before bringing duffle bag.:cool:

spoiledraf
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Just talked to the folks at the Beach Club and they said they have both a water chair and a lift!

I called my sister in law to let her know and she was so excited! We'll likely use the lift as it will actually get Kayla into the water rather than just sitting in a chair. Once again Disney shows why they are the best in travel, especially for those with disabilities. Now if they could figure a way to get her on Space Mountain!

alaMode
06-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Yay!
We used a water wheelchair at Typhoon Lagoon 3 years ago. It allowed my son to access so many if the slides/rides there.
ITA that WDW does an amazing job making the fun accessible to everyone-that's what keeps us coming back!
When you have a loved one with a disability, enjoying a worry-free family vacation is priceless!
Have a great time and if you get a chance, post a trip report!

steamboat willy
06-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Just talked to the folks at the Beach Club and they said they have both a water chair and a lift!

I called my sister in law to let her know and she was so excited! We'll likely use the lift as it will actually get Kayla into the water rather than just sitting in a chair. Once again Disney shows why they are the best in travel, especially for those with disabilities. Now if they could figure a way to get her on Space Mountain!

F.Y.I. - - - My Dw is also in a wheelchair and if you go to to a Cast Member at Haunted Mansion, they will direct you to the Exit, lead to a back entrance, STOP the ride and allow you to board a Doom Buggy and again at the exit, STOP to allow you to exit....Go Magic Kingdom!:thumbsup:

spoiledraf
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Hey thanks Willy! I really want to try and make my nieces visit special. Every little bit of info i get here and elsewhere gets noted on my infamous spreadsheet. :number1:

MyDisneyworld
09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
This is why I love Disney World because it's the one place where everyone is able to have a great time. Have a great trip.