PDA

View Full Version : Car rental needing car seats ... what to do?

LisaP
06-26-2011, 01:38 AM
So I say this with a lump in my throat, but we may stay offsite (at Marriott) and would therefore rent a car.

What would be the best option for car seats? I'll need two. Do the car rental agencies offer car seat rentals as well? Should I ship my own to FL? Or is there a local rental company that offers them?

Help!? Thanks!

DizneyRox
06-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I'd bring my own... Not that it would be my first choice, but if I had to...

This is one of those cases to be made for staying on-site. When adding the cost of the rental car, parking charges, possibly car seat rental (or whatever inconvenience they cause), etc to the off-site hotel charges many times it's "cheaper" to stay on-site. Or at least easier...

This may be different, just saying...

teambricker04
06-26-2011, 07:22 AM
I would bring my own as well, but not because of cost (if you check them on your flight it will cost & if you lug them that is a bit of a pain) but because you already know them. Install will be easy and you know how they work... That sort of thing.

WishesFan13
06-26-2011, 07:51 AM
We just traveled to ft myers for the 1st time with our 7 month old DS and we took his car seat with us. Check with your airline because some don't charge. As ridiculous as spirit is with all of their charges we didn't have to pay extra to check a carseat and you could check it at the gate or ticket counter so you don't have to worry anout carrying after you check in. If you don't want to take them you can rent them from the car rental company. i would check different car rental companies to see about discounts on carseat rentals or regular discounts that would offset the cost. We saved $ on a car rental with our bj's membership and aaa used to offer 1 free carseat if you booked a disney package with them. We never took advantage of it & I don't know of they still offer it but it can't hurt to see which companies are offering what. There are also baby equipment rental companies. I'm not sure if they deliver to the airport or if you would want to risk that since you would be stuck if they are late or don't show up. I would take them or rent it with the car.

KylesMom
06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
As I have heard some absolute horror stories here on INTERCOT over the years about the condition and cleanliness of the car seats which are provided at the rental car agencies, I would not hesitate to bring your own. Check with your airline carrier - as mentioned above, many do not charge extra for them.

When DS was younger, that's exactly what we did. By the time you add on the $10+ per day plus taxes & fees, you could have paid for a brand new one - that wasn't frightening to put your child in! :mickey:

mdricks
06-26-2011, 08:12 AM
I miss so much about my kids being 'little ones' but car seats are definately not on the list.

We just used them on the plane. The boys were comfortable in them and we didnt have to check them. Major pain in the neck but we were sure happy we had em when we got there.

:number1:

seanyred
06-26-2011, 08:42 AM
As I have heard some absolute horror stories here on INTERCOT over the years about the condition and cleanliness of the car seats which are provided at the rental car agencies, I would not hesitate to bring your own. Check with your airline carrier - as mentioned above, many do not charge extra for them.

When DS was younger, that's exactly what we did. By the time you add on the $10+ per day plus taxes & fees, you could have paid for a brand new one - that wasn't frightening to put your child in! :mickey:

I second this. Car rental companies are known for not doing a great job of cleaning cars before they are rented again. Which would mean the cleanliness of the car seats are probably just the same or worse.

I say if you don't want to use the on the plane then check them, I believe most airlines don't charge for car seats. Or if its possible you could buy two cheap ones at wallmart (might be the same cost as renting)

BrerGnat
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Another vote for bring your own. You don't need to use them on the plane, and can check them with your bags for free. Don't rent from the car company...never know what you're gonna get and it costs a lot. We've brought our own car seats a few times when traveling and although it is a pain, it's a relief when we know what we're doing when installing them, and all the shoulder straps are where they should be, etc.

The only time I'd consider renting from the car company is if you just need a basic belt positioning booster. Since those are "no frills" and don't require a true installation, they're basically all the same.

brian2000boston
06-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I would bring my own and many airlines do offer it to be gate checked for free. You can check with AAA if you have it, i believe AAA member get a free car seat with certain car rental companies, at least they used to.

LisaP
06-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks so much! I hadn't considered that an airline would permit checking them at no charge ... so that's definitely the way I'll be going! Thanks again! :tiphat: