PDA

View Full Version : Delta Air lines... is this a good deal

brivers222
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I am pretty much not sold on flying... pretty nervous actually as the last time I flew was in '97

But i found on Delta's website they have a Round Trip for both myself and my DW for ($477.80 inc that insurance)

I factored in the price of 2 suitcases each at $70 each ($140 total) So the total price would be $595.80.
its only a 2-1/2 hour flight from Detroit to Orlando (non-stop both ways)

Now driving we have factored in Hotels (both ways), gas (both ways) and food (both ways)... as well as noting its 19-1/2 hours both ways....

So my question is... is this flight worth it?

like I said i have not flown often (3 times in my life) and not once since 9-11... so I am not sure of prices i am looking for.

can anyone help?

retiredfigment
06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Depending when you are going, you can fly out of Cleveland for as low as $218 on Continental, non-stop.

brivers222
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Depending when you are going, you can fly out of Cleveland for as low as $218 on Continental, non-stop.

but its only $222 a person to fly from 10mins from our house...

we would have to drive a long ways to cleveland... unless that is $218 for both of us

disneymom15
06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
My opinion, that's a very good price. We don't ever purchase insurance with our airfare though, it's personal preference.

brivers222
06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
My opinion, that's a very good price. We don't ever purchase insurance with our airfare though, it's personal preference.

it was only $33 total...so thats why i included it.

brian2000boston
06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Sounds like a fair price. To me it would be well worth it to have that extra time in Disney, but i dont enjoy long trips like that in the car.

DisneyWFan
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
After checking several travel sites Delta has the cheapest flights out of your area I would go for it

RBrooksC
06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure if the dates you want to go for your honeymoon are the dates you are looking at for your trip, but you may want to look at SWA's "Wanna get away" fares.

You need to go to SWA's website to compare prices.

princessgirls
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
In my opinion...Time is money, and flying for the most part is the quickest way to get to your destination. Some people enjoy a road trip, but I don't have the luxury of extra time, as a all out keeping the car on the road trip to Orlando for us is 19 hours.

Prices sound fair for airfare...not sure about the $70 baggage fees...that sounds really high for Delta. I thought Delta charged $25 per checked bag up to 50 pounds. We are flying with them in August, and I had checked into all of this. I have a Delta Amex, so I get one "free" bag for each of us.
Look into that baggage fee, it's too high...
Julie:mickey:

Nascfan
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
That sounds like a fair price. A good general rule of thumb: the less people you are paying to travel, the more cost effective airfare is...the more people you are paying to travel, the less cost effective airfare is.

As high as gas prices are now, and if you plan to stay a night each way, along with food, you and another probably can fly for as, or almost as, cheaply as you can drive at that rate. Factor in the 17 hours you gain each way by flying, and you've got a done deal in my opinion.

FYI to Julie (princessgirls), I think he meant 2 bags each at $70 per person, which would be $35/bag...if I read it correctly. I see what you thought though.

brivers222
06-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah sorry I combined the Bags for each of us

first check bag is 25, second is 35 for each of us

so thats $60 a per person... i see i even had my math wrong up there in the OP as well...oops haha

I am awaiting to find out if we can add two days onto our trip before i book the flight. I figure its easier to adjust disney ressie than deal with trying to change non-refundable tickets lol

princessgirls
06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
That sounds like a fair price. A good general rule of thumb: the less people you are paying to travel, the more cost effective airfare is...the more people you are paying to travel, the less cost effective airfare is.

As high as gas prices are now, and if you plan to stay a night each way, along with food, you and another probably can fly for as, or almost as, cheaply as you can drive at that rate. Factor in the 17 hours you gain each way by flying, and you've got a done deal in my opinion.

FYI to Julie (princessgirls), I think he meant 2 bags each at $70 per person, which would be $35/bag...if I read it correctly. I see what you thought though.

Oh, I stick with the one checked bag one carry-on for each family member. Cram it in, and keep it under 50 lbs. For a family of 4 to fly and then add on luggage fees...we have to pack less! I try to fly Jet Blue and have no baggage fees, but their prices were $800 more for the flights I wanted. Southwest is very limited out of Newark Liberty, and they weren't cheap when I booked.
The baggage fees are SO ANNOYING!!!
Seriously....

brivers222
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
like seriously i don't even know what 50lbs in a suitcase is like... i guess i am going to have to cram all my clothes in and then take it to the post off to weight haha

depending on what i do end up bringing it might be just 2 bags between the 2 of us... 3 at most.

I plan on sending a care package down to Boardwalk the week we are arriving with a cheap brita filter bottle, some shampoo/conditioner and some other stuff that would take up weight (and space)

What exactly is the sizes of a carry on? i mean in relative terms, not the dimensions that they show on the sites... Like those small "pilot" bags with rollers? are those carryon?

Also, i want to bring my computer, am I allowed to also bring a computer bag that will be on my lap the whole flight? like computer, dvd's earphones, cables for computer, iphones and cameras?

I am really clueless about flying... i am a driver and surrendering to the insane gas prices and time it takes.... SCARED!!!:eek:

Nascfan
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
The baggage fees are SO ANNOYING!!!
Seriously....

Girl, tell me about it. They are ridiculous!

depending on what i do end up bringing it might be just 2 bags between the 2 of us... 3 at most.

What exactly is the sizes of a carry on? i mean in relative terms, not the dimensions that they show on the sites... Like those small "pilot" bags with rollers? are those carryon?

Also, i want to bring my computer, am I allowed to also bring a computer bag that will be on my lap the whole flight? like computer, dvd's earphones, cables for computer, iphones and cameras?

If you're talking about the size bag I think you are, we have some of those, and yes, they would be carryon size. And yes, you can carry a computer bag on in addition to your regular carry on. Your wife can have a purse or something similar in addition to her carry on. My wife was just on Delta's site this afternoon checking some things out as we were dreaming about popping down there in September since we got an email for $60 Value night stays, seeing what the total would cost us......IF we could escape without our daughter (not gonna happen!).

Depending on how long you'll actually wind up being down there, I'll bet you could probably do it in one checked and two carry-ons if you wanted. That would save a good chunk of change. Or certainly in one checked per person, along with the carry-ons. Like you, we mostly drive, but we flew in '08 and I'm pretty sure we only had one checked per person for the three of us with no probs.

BTW, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

princessgirls
06-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! May you be blessed with a lifetime of love, laughter and good health!!!!!

A large size suitcases bearing 50 pounds of "stuff" is a lot....trust me!! The only downside for me with the carry-on which all four of us will take on board, is the limited liquid rules that are in effect. I'm a Mom, I need "stuff". I like my shampoo, we need sunscreen, some over the counter meds just in case. I'm a MUCH better packer now with all of these restrictions, but I still need my "stuff"!!!! It would cost me a small fortune to go and buy when we arrived.
We are going for 9 days in August...clothes are light for the summer heat, no sweatshirts, and YES, I will have to do laundry during the trip.
You will be happy you flew when you arrive and it only took a total of 5 hours from leaving your house to arriving at the beautiful Orlando airport.
Enjoy your trip and your wedding!

brivers222
06-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Are you allowed to bring OTC pills in your carryon? lIke excedrin, Imodium, asprin, allergy meds?

And are you allowed to put full bottles of sunscreen, shampoo conditioner and hair spray in your Checked bags?

I am going to plan on mailing a package with some other stuff down to the hotel to make sure I have some stuff too.

apart from weapons, from what i am gathering most checked bags are allowed to hold stuff that carryons don't allow.

tdk316
06-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm also from MI and fly out of DTW! :)

The price isn't bad... have you considered opening an American Express Delta Sky Miles account? You'll need a little time for this, but based on their current promotion you can apply for and get the card, buy a soda (or something else cheap), pay it off, wait until you get the 20,000 free Sky Miles credited to your account, book your airline reservation using "pay with miles" to get $100 off each person's flight (you'll have enough miles for $100 off two flights), plus if you pay for the reservation on your Delta card, you'll get a $50 statement credit after your trip and your first checked bags free (one for each of you). I swung something like this last year for my brother and he ended up paying less than $80 round trip to Orlando. Feel free to PM me with any ?s. :mickey:

tdk316
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Forgot to mention, flying is totally worth it! I've done both many times and I'll fly every day and twice on Sunday before I drive down there again!

brivers222
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah i thought about the credit, but due to issues out of my control its in the best interest to not have another CC ;)

Its so funny how hard it is to finally make the decision to not drive down there... I just hope my luggage makes it there the same time i do!!!

disneymom15
06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes to both questions, you can bring OTC meds in your carryon, and full size liquids in your checked bags.

joonyer
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Detroit to Orlando (WDW) is roughly 1175 miles (driving) unless you have a car that averages 40-50 mpg, the gasoline cost for a round trip driving will be at least $350, (based on 25 mpg at $3.70 per gallon) and that does not include meals, or hotel if you stay overnight.
We live close enough to drive and always do, but if I were in your shoes I'd fly every time for that price. You'll also have an extra 36 hours to enjoy at WDW and not on the highway.

brivers222
06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
You'll also have an extra 36 hours to enjoy at WDW and not on the highway.

We actually added 2 days onto our trip because we are flying!!!

Figment104
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Since our 2004 trip we have flown out of Metro on Delta for every single one of our trips since. The price you are quoting is very good for what flights are right now. I think the cheapest I ever got was $150/person and that was a couple of years ago, genearlly we're in the low $200 range after taxes.

I used to always bring my giant suitcase (I have a set of nesting suitcases and this would be the giant one that they all fit into) and even with it packed I still didn't hit the 50lbs mark. I was actually able to check it on my bathroom scale at home lol! More than likely you should be fine with either 1-2 checked bags total and each having a carry on (which can actually get to be pretty decent sizes). If you go to Delta's website it will give you the actual dimensions of what the carryon size can be and I think you'll be surprised when you see how large it is. They also have great information on their site about what can be packed in carryon and what can't along with what you can pack in your checked luggage.

One little tip depending on what time your flight is leaving is that if you have a really early morning flight a lot of the hotels right around Metro have park and fly deals where you would stay the night prior to your departure at the hotel and the price of the room also covers parking at Airlines Parking (or one of the big parking lots) for a week in the price. We've done this numerous times and it works great, especially since the hotels then offer a free shuttle to your terminal. This way you don't have to worry about traffic, especially since the Southfield has so much construction on it (not sure if that's how you would take) along with a lot of the other highways in the area. Takes all the stress and worry out of your arrival, at least for us.

If you have any questions though just shoot me a PM if you want since traveling out of Metro to Orlando is like second nature to us. In fact last time we went to Florida (Naples not Orlando) we decided to fly out of Bishop since it's a bit closer to us and I ended up totally missing being down at Metro.

Wow, sorry I didn't realize this ended up so long!

You'll have a great trip!

brivers222
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
we have a noon flight (they just today opened up a 10am flight for the same price... darn non-refundable tickets!!!

But we were just going to drive early down to my parents in Canton and then have them take us over to Metro... i am thinking if we leave canton at 9am we could take side streets and be there by 10am no problem (2 hours before our flight) Maybe a little earlier since i am a rookie flyer.

I have now started a crash diet because i didn't realize Delta has the smallest seats and the shortest seatbelts of planes....

Madame Leona
07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I think you will be very happy with your decision to fly. We always fly out of DTW and it seems like we are flying Delta more often than anyone else. I truly think they have the best prices in our area and they do have the friendliest flight staff compared to some of the others in the area.

Have a wonderful trip!

brivers222
07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I just have to work my tush off so i can squeeze into their 17" seats :-o

Tink1
07-01-2011, 11:36 AM
TJMAxx and Marshalls sell luggae scales for about $6. Usually are hanging on the wall in the mens Dept near the tchotchke's. Totally worth the investment. Wendy uses a fish scale she got in the sporting goods department.

The scales have a hook on the end. You hook it through the handle and lift the bag to weigh it.

I have 2 since I always seem to misplace one of them when I am looking for it!

Nanc

brivers222
07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks Nanci! I'm totally going to be going to TJMax to get them... Its right down the street perhaps i will walk to it.

i guess what they say is true, "ignorance is bliss" now actually looking into all that is involved with flying is very intimidating hahaha

I am pretty much good on the luggage issues now (or at least i feel better about it) I am really freaking out about the seat sizes Delta has. I wish i had a extra 2 grand laying around to just buy the Business Class (21" seats) and be done with it. But no... I had to by the cattle car (17" seats) and spend money on a gym membership to hopefully help me fit my bottom in that thing! lol