PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaners

caryrae
06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone here uses a steam cleaner? I have wondered for a while if they are any good and what a good one would be. I was watching a segment on HSN about one, called the H2O mop X5, and thought it looked good (which they make sure they do of course) with all the different attachments for cleaning just about anything in the house but when I looked the reviews where not so good for it. Can anyone recommend one they really like?

MNNHFLTX
06-22-2011, 08:53 PM
The Shark Steam Pocket Mop--love this product!! You can use it on any surface floor (even wood, as long as it's sealed)--the steam dries in seconds and it gets the floor so clean. They sell it at Walmart for $99, but you can get the same model at the Walmart website for $84 and then have it shipped to your local store. It come with an inter-changeable rectangular mop frame and a triangular one to get into corners and 3 pads to go with each frame. The nice thing is that you mop on one side of the pad and then just flip it over and use the other side too. It also comes with a carpet cleaner pad, but I already have a carpet cleaner, so I don't have a need for that one. :thumbsup:

Ed
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
The Shark Steam Pocket Mop--love this product!!

:ditto:

We have one of these, and it is great! We use it on the sealed bamboo floor in the kitchen (which gets pretty funky due to the :dog: and us tracking in sandy soil from outside, and on the ceramic tile in the sun room and bathrooms. It works perfectly, is lightweight, and doesn't take up much storage space.

JanetMegan
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Ironically I'm returning the Shark Vac and Steam I purchased today. I found it left streaks on my darker laminate floors, do you guys have this problem? I have used it a few times and for $150 I just flat out wasn't happy with it.

Tink1
06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Ironically I'm returning the Shark Vac and Steam I purchased today. I found it left streaks on my darker laminate floors, do you guys have this problem? I have used it a few times and for $150 I just flat out wasn't happy with it.

Had you previously used chemicals to clean these floors? I read that was a problem with the steam mops and streaks. The old chemicals are actually causing the streaking.

I have a dark wood kitchen floor and used the steam mop since we installed. The steam mop works great.

The older floors that had been cleaned with Murphys Oil Soap streaked with the Steam mop until I stripped the old chemicals off and got to original finish.

Nanc

caryrae
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I was wondering about one that does just more then floors too like, around sinks, toilets, tough to reach places, stuff like that and floors of course. Does the Shark do this?

Ed
06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I was wondering about one that does just more then floors too like, around sinks, toilets, tough to reach places, stuff like that and floors of course. Does the Shark do this?

Yes. The head swivels quite well, and using the triangular head allows you to get behind things like the toilet, pedestal sinks, etc. by using one of the points of the triangle.

I also agree about the mop potentially causing streaking when it is used on floors that had been previously cleaned with various cleaning products. We had used a liquid hardwood cleaner product before we got the steam mop, and the first time we used it, it did cause streaks. But after a second steam cleaning, the streaks disappeared, and have never come back. Now we use just the steam mop - no cleaners. :nono:

MNNHFLTX
06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Ironically I'm returning the Shark Vac and Steam I purchased today. I found it left streaks on my darker laminate floors, do you guys have this problem? I have used it a few times and for $150 I just flat out wasn't happy with it.I don't have the Shark Vac and Steam, Janet--I was skeptical at a combination product like that being as effective (not to mention more expensive). And since I already have a really good vacuum, the pocket mop was all I needed. I don't know about the streaking, but there is a huge difference in the feel of the floors now compared to when I was using chemical cleaners. Before they often used to feel a bit tacky, but with the steam mop they just feel and look nice and clean.

RedSoxFan
06-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I have the HAAN FS20 floor steamer (got it from Amazon for about $80). Works wonderful and so easy to do. The only complaint is the cord is not very long. Easy fix; bought a small indoor extension cord to attach to it. My sister has the same cleaner and loves it too.

Kenny1113
06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I love the idea of using a steam cleaner. I had both the shark and haan steam cleaners. I they worked pretty good, however I had to return them. I could not get over the smell afterward. Even with lighting fragrance oils after I could still smell it. So my question to those with steam cleaners and are happy with them, does the "spit" smell go away after time? How do you deal with it?

I am thinking about trying the black and decker one. :blush:

Tink1
06-28-2011, 07:58 AM
If there is a smell I would think it would have to be the water that smells since you are not using any chemicals.

I never had a smell, but we have well water that is really clean. Did you try using distilled water in it rather than tap water?

Nanc

Kenny1113
06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Haha! Must be that Florida water everyone complains about! :D

Good idea about the distilled water I will try it!

Tink1
06-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh I bet it is. FL water smells horrid to me since it is not what I am used to. In fact, any water that goes through a water treatment plant before the faucet smells and feels icky. I can even feel the chlorination. The best part of coming home from vacation is my shower!

Nanc

HollyB
06-29-2011, 01:58 AM
I've wondered if steam cleaners like the shark are safe to use on laminate flooring (like Pergo). You aren't supposed to get it very wet when you clean it, so I didn't know if the steam cleaners would put out too much moisture.

Kenny1113
06-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Supposedly, the new black and decker steam cleaner has a dial so you select how much water the floor is getting. I believe the settings are for wood, laminate, and tile.That might be a possibility. I don't have laminate so I don't know if it would still be ok.

Tink1
06-29-2011, 08:03 AM
I've wondered if steam cleaners like the shark are safe to use on laminate flooring (like Pergo). You aren't supposed to get it very wet when you clean it, so I didn't know if the steam cleaners would put out too much moisture.

I have a Pergo-type flooring in a room and use the Shark Steamer on it. It does not really
"wet" the floor at all.

Floor has not lifted or buckled in the 4 yrs it is there. (and it was put in as a temp measure until we can redo the entire room but that has not happened yet LOL)

Nanc

MNNHFLTX
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I've wondered if steam cleaners like the shark are safe to use on laminate flooring (like Pergo). You aren't supposed to get it very wet when you clean it, so I didn't know if the steam cleaners would put out too much moisture.I just want to reassure you--the steam dries very quickly, pretty much by the next swipe of the mop, the previous swipe is dry. I've been using it on my (sealed) wood floors for over a year and had absolutely no problems.

JanetMegan
06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
We hadn't ever used any type of chemical on the floor so I'm not sure what caused the streaking. maybe I just stunk at using the thing? I'm back to hands and knees with a damp towel...

meldan98
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm on my 2nd Shark. I had the velcro pad one and it stopped working after a couple of years, we we got the kind that you can flip the head. We have large tile and after the first use, the slip on cloth had been worn thin. I'm hoping that this doesn't continue, if so, I'm going to be very unhappy and will return it. My primary concern has always been with steam mops is how well they truely clean bacteria.

joonyer
06-30-2011, 03:49 PM
DW loves the Shark. It works great on our laminated wood flooring. No moisture left behind. We have the one that came with a hand-held attachments which she uses for cleaning bathrooms, etc.

Kenny1113
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
If there is a smell I would think it would have to be the water that smells since you are not using any chemicals.

I never had a smell, but we have well water that is really clean. Did you try using distilled water in it rather than tap water?

Nanc

I know it's been a long time... But I wanted to mention that I have been using the distilled water, and no smell!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Tink1
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
You are welcome! LOL

I notice the smell of water other places because we have deep (very deep) well water. My friends who live there do not smell it since it is there "normal"

Just like people who say they hate the smell of hospitals. After having worked in one for 27 years, I cannot smell what they smell any longer!

Nanc