PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I have a question for all those who have been in the parks on Christmas day. My question is about park closings on Christmas day. I know MK will close on Christmas day, but does that end up being an all day affair, or does the park usually open back up later that evening?

Our plan is to have breakfast, try to go to AK around 9-10ish, spend a few hours in AK, back to WL for dinner, then try to enter MK for the last few hours of the day. We are leaving to come back home the day after Christmas so spending the end of our trip in MK would be ideal. Am I being realistic, or totally naive??? LOL.

Strmchsr
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Generally the phased closings only last a few hours at a time. When they are that crowded people tend to leave and go to another park. As the crowds thin a little, the park reopens. So, by late evening the parks are generally fully open. I don't think what you suggested is out of the question. Just plan on being flexible just in case.

DizneyRox
06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
I think it depends on the holiday. XMAS will probably be fine. NYE? You might be shutout. Same for July 4th.

Depends on the type of festivities. Generally speaking, I suggest going as early as possible to the park you want to end the day at. Plan on staying until you cant take it anymore.

Lately though, crowds haven't been as bad, so closures have been less lengthy than years past. I would ask on the way out at guest relations to see what the sitrep is.

BrerGnat
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Unless they have some sort of special Christmas show or something, I think you'll be okay.

When we were there over spring break last year, the MK closed to capacity on three days mid week. However, by 6 or 7pm, it was back open. I would expect the same on Christmas.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
I've heard a lot of people say that the evening usually opens up because a lot of people with small children leave early...I would think the exception would be New Year's Eve but you should be okay Christmas....

faline
06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I've only been once on Christmas day and that was years ago. We went to the Magic Kingdom really early in the morning (They used to broadcast the parade live back then). Once the prade was complete (and that took all morning), we jumped over to Epcot which we found was far less crowded. In the evening, we made the mistake of returning to the Magic Kingdom. I say "mistake" because, once the parade started, we were literally in a sea of people and unable to move in any direction until the parade ended. It was actually frigtening to be that crushed in with people. We left the park as soon as we were able to more again!

LittleRoosMommy
06-23-2011, 09:43 PM
We spent Christmas Day in MK in 2009. It was amazing!!! We were staying off-property that year, so we planned to get there early b/c of the phased closings. We were completely amazed!! The park was empty in the morning! We rode everything, and I mean everything, saw the Princesses and the Fairies by 11am!!!! There were absolutely no lines! The crowds started picking up by lunchtime in certain areas of the park. We ate lunch at LTT and when we finished lunch, we heard that the park was at capacity and had closed. They were doing the phased closings, that lasted for several hours. They had opened the park back up in the early evening, but it was still very crowded and by the time Spectromagic and the fireworks were over, you couldn't even move on Main Street! Thank goodness we still had one of our DDs in a stroller!

That being said, it was the most magical day ever!! Hope you have a great trip!!