PDA

View Full Version : First Time Cruisers - when to go and which ship?

mrskooting
06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone! It's our first time to do a cruise and there's going to be 11 of us.

3 = 65 year olds
5 = 30-40 year olds
3 = kids 5-9 years old

We are planning on doing it next year, 2012. So when is the best time to go? What are the months that are not too expensive? We are thinking of October or November but they said its hurricane season!

Which is the best ship? I believe Disney is launching a new and bigger cruise ship. Has anyone tried this yet?

:marg:Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!! :papple:

Dr. Disney
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I am interested, too. We will be going with 2 adults (30ish) 2 children (11ds and 6dd).

Tink1
06-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Hurricane Season is June- November, so really most people do travel during hurricane season. *IF* there is a hurricane, Disney is NOT going to sail into it. Itineraries get a last minute change and while you may not make the ports you planned, you do have an adventure. They will go away from the storm.

I love to cruise in late October and November (December too). Rates are a little lower on some sailings, weather has been great for me, and it is nice to relax before the holiday rush hits.

Nanc

Ed
06-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Hello everyone! It's our first time to do a cruise and there's going to be 11 of us.

3 = 65 year olds
5 = 30-40 year olds
3 = kids 5-9 years old

We are planning on doing it next year, 2012. So when is the best time to go? What are the months that are not too expensive? We are thinking of October or November but they said its hurricane season!

Which is the best ship? I believe Disney is launching a new and bigger cruise ship. Has anyone tried this yet?

:marg:Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!! :papple:

We just went on a 4-night cruise on Dream last month; ironically, our group was also 11 people, and the demographics were very similar.

Nanci already pretty much covered the date/cost aspect; I really can't add much to that.

Disney is launching a new ship, the Fantasy, early next year. But in size, it's identical to Dream - 1,115 feet, 14 decks tall. We have cruised the older ships (Magic and Wonder), so we could really see and feel the larger size of Dream, which has only been in service since January of this year.

sixshot19
06-24-2011, 02:17 AM
The boats are fantastic and fun. If it is your first time try and get a balacony, definately worth the extra cost, and the awe factor is huge. Try to get rooms in the middle of the boat, that way the motion of the ocean will not be as noticeable in rough seas. Not that it is that noticeable afetr the first day anyways.

Little tip, if you like all the fun stuff on the boat, pool, etc. at ports stay on the boat(except Castaway Cay of course). Everything is quiet and you will have most everything all to yourself and family.

First post.....yipppeeee

Ed
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
First post.....yipppeeee

This is a little :offtopic: , but I just wanted to say

:welcome: to INTERCOT !!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

ElenitaB
06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Considering the age of the children who are travelling with your party, I'd suggest travelling in November or early December (at that age, it won't be the end of the world if they miss a few day of class). The closer to Thanksgiving you sail, the greater the likelihood that the ship and Castaway Cay will be decorated for the holidays, adding yet another layer of fun to your vacation!