PDA

View Full Version : Travel agent or DIY

BongoFury
06-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Some people swear by travel agents and others say they're notorious for screwing up vacation plans.

I'm going the DIY route. Am I missing anything by not using an agent?

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, some travel agents can make a mess of things BUT....not Magical Journeys, they do nothing but Disney and they are awesome. I have actually gotten a refund on a booked trip because they got me a better deal after I was booked.

Tygger7
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
As the previous poster said, some travel agents can really make a mess of things, but I too swear by Magical Journeys. They have been fantastic to work with and I never have to wonder if I'm getting the best deal. They watch for the discounts for me, so all I do is reap the benefits. Definitely give them the opportunity to give you a quote ....you have nothing to lost and may save money!

btharvey
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
We never do anything complicated, so we might very well get along doing everything ourselves ... but we don't. We let Magical Journeys do it for us.

If for no other reason that they will look out for the discounts and special plans and arrangements that we may not see, we let them manage things.

We are extremely happy with the arrangement. Why don't you give them a try? It won't cost you any extra, and they may have some ideas you haven't thought of (and plans and discounts of which you may not be aware).

Strmchsr
06-21-2011, 09:30 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

In general, I don't like travel agents because I can do what they do on my own. However, since becoming a member of Intercot back in 2004 and first hearing about Magical Journeys I won't book my Disney trip any way but through MJ (and you'll find a LOT of threads on here about them). The reasons I use MJ as opposed to doing it myself now:

1.) I talk to the same person every time. Wendy at MJ became my agent in 2004 and she's still my agent. She's the only one I talk to, she knows me, my family, and our preferences, and it's wonderful to have that relationship through the years for every trip. When you DIY you're talking to a different CM every time. Some are great, some not so much, but it's always different. Or you're on the website which is no help at all.
2.) The second big reason is discounts. Because we usually book our trips more than 6 months out there often isn't a discount released yet for our time frame when we book. We book with the hope that one will eventually be released (at least an AP). MJ keeps track of all their clients' upcoming vacations. If a discount is released that benefits you, they automatically change your reservation to save you the money without any hassle on your part. Often the first I hear of a new discount is an email from Wendy telling me how much I saved. No time spent or hassle on my part trying to change it and apply the discount myself.
3.) It doesn't cost a penny to use MJ. They are paid commission from Disney.
4.)They are so knowledgeable about Disney that Wendy sometimes thinks of solutions that I don't (even with all I know about Disney) that ends up a better deal for me.

So, all I have to do is focus on planning my trip and all the hassles are handled by Wendy. It's a win-win situation all the way around (and using MJ helps support Intercot since they are a sponsor).

Mfarquar
06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I always plan my trip myself, as you plan to do.

If you do your research and use common sense, you will be fine. You know yourself better than anyone else and can obsess over as many of the details as you like (half the fun for me!).

Codes are public and are easy to find!

disneymom15
06-21-2011, 09:58 AM
STRMCHSR was right on.
You can still plan your travel and dining options on your own, but as far as the room ressie, Magical Journeys is the way to go.

DizneyRox
06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Here's the deal...

There is a commission on a vacation. It get's paid out regardless of if you do it yourself or have someone else do it. If a TA does it, they keep the commission, if you call Disney "directly", they keep it. Psst, you're not actualy calling Disney, you're calling Disney's Travel Company which is how they keep the commission. Regardless, it's part of the price, and YOU ARE paying for it.

If you call MJ for a quote, I'm fairly certain they will give you the same price as if you called yourself and Disney Travel gave you a quote.

So then, for me it boils down to a decision I make. And quite frankly, it's "Do I think the person making my reservation deserves that money or not?" It might sound harsh, but that's how I think.

Last time I actually saw the numbers, for a cruise a while back (mid 90's), almost $800 of the fare was commission. That was a $5000+ cruise, so I'm guessing the commission is like 15%.

Does the TA deserve that much money for doing what I can do myself. And, in the above scenario, they didn't. After we booked the cruise, they offered very little support, we hardly heard from them, and had difficulty after the cruise because they had changed focus and no longer did that type of travel.

Since then, I've just done everything myself. Being DVC there's not much a TA can do for me with Disney trips (and frankly if I'm not planning them, I have zero need). I booked my upcoming cruise directly through the cruise line and I have no problems with them.

Now, MJ seems to be an exception. I'm hearing a lot of good things and I've mentioned them to others looking to book. I don't know if anyone has taken me up on that advice, but I still recommend. Do they deserve that commission? Sounds like they might.

Like I said, you ARE paying the commission regardless, it's just a matter of who gets it, and if their services warrant them getting that. In Disney's case, I think you're better off going through a travel agent like MJ over AAA or some other mom and pop shop who are only after the commission. Remember, the more you spend, the more the commission, so it's really not in their best financial interest to save you money. As mentioned, MJ seems to be the exception. I don't think Disney Travel deserves the commission, when you hang up the phone, they are on to other reservations, you WILL NOT hear back from them regarding lower fares, discounts, etc.

That's my two cents...

vicster
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Like I said, you ARE paying the commission regardless, it's just a matter of who gets it, and if their services warrant them getting that. In Disney's case, I think you're better off going through a travel agent like MJ over AAA or some other mom and pop shop who are only after the commission. Remember, the more you spend, the more the commission, so it's really not in their best financial interest to save you money. As mentioned, MJ seems to be the exception.

Can't say I really know anyone who will work for nothing so, of course, TAs receive a commission. Magical Journeys deserves every penny they get. They will always get the best deal for you (lowest price and any offers) regardless of commission. I wouldn't book any other way.

AgentC
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I am going to join the chorus and support MJ.

I have been using Wendy for years. I heard about MJ on INTERCOT when I first started lurking here.:mickey:

I do not like to call into Disney to make reservations since I am usually playing with several scenarios and I want time to mull it over.

I do use the Disney website to check prices but I am not a big fan of the website. It take too long to give me the information I need. Wendy can send me one email with all my options.

It is also very nice to get an email saying a new discount has come out and it it taken care of. :cloud9:

Wendy also send me park hours, keeps track of when I can first reserve dining, and sends special event information if one falls during my trip.

So could I do it myself? Sure. But why take the time when I have someone who takes care of me so well.:thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Magical Journeys for Disney.

Travel I DIY (air or land).

I could plan the whole thing myself, but it takes a lot of time to look up discounts, call, call again, look for new deals, call again, change plans, look up different discounts, call again, etc.

I have my own job - Disney vacation planning is MJ's job and they do it well.

TheVBs
06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
I've always been a DIY person, but then I've always been fortunate enough to catch a promotion or discount for the time we want to visit. I also enjoy the planning part. :mickey:

However, if I weren't able to catch a discount, or spend the time I'd like to be able to on booking and planning, I'd definitely give Magical Journeys a try, based upon recommendations here.

steamboat willy
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
DIY....you get what you get.

Magical Journeys.... you get the BEST You Can Get! :thumbsup:

Debbie at MJ is the BEST! I change my mind, change my dates, add the Dining Package, add another night, add another night.
(I do that a lot)

Email Debbie at MJ.

DONE.:cool:

I WOULD DO DISNEY - No Other Way.

BrerGnat
06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Well, time is money. If you DIY, it takes a lot of time. And, if you call Disney, you have to pay for that call...

I have been using MJ for years. GREAT personalized service and they do it faster than I can (or, rather, it saves me time...they still have to spend the time doing it, but it's their job!).

I used to be a DIY'er (and still am, for every other type of travel I take), but when it comes to WDW, I use MJ and won't DIY anymore...

magicalmom
06-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I have always been a committed DIYer, so please believe me when I say - MJ - Wendy. Use the time you save to plan your park visits, activities, and meals. By the time Wendy is done applying every possible discount, you'll have more money to go along with your extra time. You'll have had the fun without the headaches.

TheVBs
06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Can you have more than one discount? I always figured if I got the package I wanted, i.e. free dining at a value, that I couldn't apply any more discounts on top of that.

Now, I understand that if you book with MJ and weren't able to get any discounts, or didn't get the one you prefered, they're the ideal way to book and get it changed if a new discount comes up. But are they able to get you multiple discounts?

K8screen
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Can you use MJ even if you are not in USA? I posted a question about flghts on this board, and someone from MJ kindly came up with a very helpful answer. I think I would like to use them to make my next reservation if possible.

Dsnygirl
06-22-2011, 08:31 AM
We swear by Magical Journeys... our first trip was a DIY trip, and I swear we probably missed out on some great deal b/c of it. :blush: (and we used an agent for our airfare, not knowing any better, and that TOTALLY messed us up... but no worries there w/ MJ, as they don't do airfare. :thumbsup:)

Like the pp's have said, they're wonderful - always well aware of the deals before the rest of us (you'd think sometimes they're aware of them before Disney even announces them... ;)) and I've woken up to an e-mail saying "You've saved $$$" many times! :thumbsup:

Can't beat 'em!

KylesMom
06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Can you have more than one discount? I always figured if I got the package I wanted, i.e. free dining at a value, that I couldn't apply any more discounts on top of that.

Now, I understand that if you book with MJ and weren't able to get any discounts, or didn't get the one you prefered, they're the ideal way to book and get it changed if a new discount comes up. But are they able to get you multiple discounts?

Basic booking is the same - no multiple discounts. However, they are very good at doing the math to figure out which is the best value for your family.

Remember, too that discounts when released are limited. After being shut out of A/P discounts for the resorts of our choice a few different times, we began using MJ in 2006 for our annual trips. While I love planning everything myself, it's a no-brainer to turn my room only reservation (or package) over to them.

Oftentimes, Terrisue ends up changing our reservation a few times to get us the best deal possible. Even though my ears are always tuned to specials, they always find about them before I do! To me, the biggest compliment is in a referral - and I've referred many of my friends & co-workers to MJ, knowing they'll be in good hands. :mickey:

BongoFury
06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Everybody's made such a great case for using Magical Journeys, I think I might look into it.

Thanks all.:thumbsup:

brivers222
06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
I was a total DIY dude... that is until I decided to surrender the main planning of the most special trip in my life (our honeymoon) to Magical Journeys.... I am very happy with all that is happening. I just give a request and it magically get completed by our wonderful agent :)

One thing i have not turned over was ADR planning. I am way to OCD to burden her with my ADRs and timings hahaha.

KarenP
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM

We would apply multiple discounts for our clients if we could but unfortunately, Disney only allows one discount per reservation. When you are booked with us, we automatically apply discounts for you and compare the various specials offered to make sure you are getting the lowest possible prices.

darthmacho
06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I've always done things on my own, and I think anyone is capable, but I'm convinced that Magical Journeys is a HUGE help for getting your WDW vacation just perfect. It was a great comfort to me to have someone to keep my ducks in order, get me the right package at the right price, and my agent helped me keep from screwing up my Magical Express reservation when I forgot to send them my flight information! :mickey:

vicster
06-22-2011, 04:33 PM
my agent helped me keep from screwing up my Magical Express reservation when I forgot to send them my flight information! :mickey:

Ha - I totally forgot to do that last year and, hopefully, learned my lesson.

faline
06-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Another vote for using Magical Journeys! The folks there are the best at insuring that discounts are applied without you having to lift a finger!