PDA

View Full Version : Spending Money in the parks

crltkcagle
06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I have a question for everyone. My kids work really hard on their chores all year long to save up for our trip to Disney. I usually just give them money and let them spend it at the theme parks as they choose. However its a real pain to walk around with all that cash. And I don't want to just use my debit card because they like to have "their own" money in their own pockets.

I would have loved to do Disney Dollars but since they are gone that is not a choice. I was thinking about doing a disney gift card preloaded with all their money on it. So my question is: Do the gift cards they sell at the disney stores work at the parks? If not does anyone have any ideas of putting the kids money all in one place so that they don't have to carry cash around? Thanks for any answers/suggestions!

caryrae
06-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Can't remember if you can but can you put certain amounts on their keys to the world card if you're getting them?

Itchy
06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
The disney cards at the disney store should not be any different that you can purchase at the gift shops at the resorts.

I have picked up gift cards at the gift shop when we have visited WDW.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

Flames24
06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
WE just got back the other day and my parents bought all of us gift cards from a local grocery store and we were alound to use them in the parks.

crltkcagle
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I know you can put them on the keys because my kids are all under 18. I thought about buying a generic gift card like a visa at walmart but I wasn't sure if they would work. Thanks!

Friend of Figment
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
I think putting it on their keycards is easiest. You can pay that amount in cash and make an individual spending limit for each child.

badkitty
06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I know you can put them on the keys because my kids are all under 18. I thought about buying a generic gift card like a visa at walmart but I wasn't sure if they would work. Thanks!

Watch out for some of the generic visa cards as they carry high fees. You are charged a fee to activate it, then a charge each time you check on the balance and some even charge a fee if you don't use them by a certain date.

lovinmesomedisney
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Here in St. Louis, we can buy Disney gift cards at Walgreens. You can load them up to $500.

KylesMom
06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Yes, the Disney cards that they sell at the stores are good in the parks, as long as they specify Shop*Dine*Stay*Play.

However, DS had $140 in gift cards we put towards the room up front, and in turn we'll load up his KTTW with his earned money plus some funds to cover snacks & such he can purchase on his own. The card is easily cancellable and replaced if lost - not so much so if it's a Disney gift card or bank card which may charge fees. It also makes DS responsible for his own money without having to carry it for him. :D

Mfarquar
06-21-2011, 01:50 AM
You can still get Disney Dollars at Guest Services/front desk at any resort.

You may want to look into doing that if Disney Dollars are still your first choice. It may be easier than gift cards - we always seem to end up having a small amount of money left that is too much of a hassle for CMs (or clerks anywhere outside WDW) to figure out and it goes to waste.

Enjoy your trip!

DizneyRox
06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
You can still get Disney Dollars at Guest Services/front desk at any resort.
That was going to be my question, I didn't think DD were officially gone. At least I haven't heard that. It's only a matter of time however...

we always seem to end up having a small amount of money left that is too much of a hassle for CMs (or clerks anywhere outside WDW) to figure out and it goes to waste.
I think that's by design. Although I'm not sure what the law is on these Disney Gift Cards. I think unclaimed money after a while goes to the state, but I could be wrong. Maybe Disney has some legislation passed that allows it to default to them.

AmandaChan
06-21-2011, 09:09 AM
If not a disney gift card how about a mastercard gift card... that way if they by some crazy chance they don't use all of their money they can use it on other things that are not disney related.

crltkcagle
06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok I meant to say CAN"T put money on their keys to the world card. I thought since they were under 18 you could NOT put money on there for them to use. So you can? ANd thanks about the disney dollars I thought they were gone. So the only place you can buy them is in WDW?

princessgirls
06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I have seen the Disney Gift Cards that you can use in the parks in the grocery stores. They have Mickey's face on them. Look on the back and it says down at the bottom of the card for use in the WDW resort, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland.

I can buy them directly from my girls school, as they have a gift card program, these cards are Blue and have the Disney logo on them. I am giving them each a $50 card on departure morning. It's funny, they are very frugal with their "own" money...mine they spend freely.
Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
06-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Ok I meant to say CAN"T put money on their keys to the world card. I thought since they were under 18 you could NOT put money on there for them to use. So you can? ANd thanks about the disney dollars I thought they were gone. So the only place you can buy them is in WDW?

I can answer part of this. Yes, you can put money on their KTTW cards. We've been doing this since DS was 11, I think. Obviously our cards have full-limit charging capabilities. We will give DS a limit of roughly $200 - mostly his money anyway, but we'll float him a little for drinks, snacks & such.

As far as the Disney dollars, I have heard that they're still available through the resorts. However, we haven't tried this theory.

Mfarquar
06-21-2011, 03:35 PM

You're welcome! I still like to give them to my sister and brother-in-law for their trips - they're more fun than gift cards (to us, anyway). SOME Disney Stores still have them. The big thing is that Disney Dollars were discontinued with them, so it's just a matter of whether or not the store still has any left. It's getting harder and harder to find them. If you really would rather take a shot at getting them ahead of time, I would suggest calling the Disney Store/s in your area directly first (rather than making the trip) and asking if they still have any. Otherwise, the front desk at your hotel is your best bet!

micky95
06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
we load up on the disney gift cards.all our family give them to us for christmas or birthdays.the only problem is we usually have a bunch .we write the amount on each one and take what we think we'll spend.if your unsure of the amount,there is a number on the back you can call and they'll tell you the balance.we get ours at walmart . most major stores carry them.make sure they are for disney parks or resorts.treat them the same as cash because they wont replace them.as for small balances on them cm can scan them and tell how much is left and i never had a pro:mickey:blem using 2 or 3 cards at a time.

LVT
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
We get gift cards from our church fundraiser, so that they get 2%. The cards can be used directly or put on the Key to the world car. I had a CM say that leftover amounts would be lost(no refunds) if unused on room card. That
could be a risk, if true.
I have gotten them from school fundraisers as well.
We stay on property so we charge to the room and go pay down the balance with the cards every few days.