PDA

View Full Version : Mixed emotions from last week. Sunday

squad51
06-20-2011, 02:26 PM
So we just got back from a week at POFQ. The group consisted of me, wife, 3 sons, g-ma & g-pa, and nephew. Some of the trip was hurt by weather and some by over the top expectations. I hope this trip report can provide the good and the not so good points.

Sunday - We drove down from Milwaukee, WI. We actually left on Friday and drove for three days. After sitting on the Florida Turnpike for an hour and a half and moving only 2 miles we came across the reason for the traffic jam, a fatal roll over car crash. Needless to say no matter how bad you think your day is, it could always be worse. We got to the world and checked in to POFQ without complications. We decided to go swimming before our 430 ADR at 1900 park fare. This is when my wife's swimsuit decided to give way and tore in half. So 7 of us decided to swim. We stayed in the pool a little to long to rely on Disney Transport to go to GF so we drove over. This is when I noted tat at the GF if you do not use valet parking you will be treated like a second class citizen. We were told to park in a lot across the street that looked like a factory employee lot. Bad enough guests pay through the nose to stay here but if you do not pay more the magic is lost. At 1900 the dinner was not as good as it was the last time I had a meal there. Granted that was in 2000. The quality of the food was very good and tasty. The carved pork and the chicken and mushroom dish were top notch, we just felt that 5 adults and 3 kids paying $320 for dinner should have had more selection. There is more food selection at Golden Corral than at 1900 Park Fare. After dinner mom and wife went out to find a new swimsuit and the rest of us went for a monorail ride. After which we called it a night and retired to bed to prepare for our first park day.

Daisy'sMom
06-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry you did not have a great dinner. We have given up on 1900 Park but that is just us. We love Citricos, but it has been awhile since we ate there.
Hope you vacation got better and your wife found another suit. That would have been a reason to pout and cry for days.
Did you like staying at your hotel and how were the summer crowds? I know it is pretty warm and you got some storms last week. Wish it had happened here.:mickey:

KylesMom
06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Some of the trip was hurt by weather and some by over the top expectations. I'm sorry that your trip wasn't all that you hoped it would be, and that your arrival dinner was not up to your expectations. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your family's travels, hoping that you still had a good time.

mouseketeer mom
06-20-2011, 04:41 PM
We're not fans of 1900 Park Fare either. Looking forward to reading more.

artyboy
06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I agree with you about the self-parking at GF...it's really insulting to park that far away when you are paying those kinds of prices.

Hope your trip got better!

faline
06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes, at dinners like 1900 Park Faire, you're really paying for the character interaction much more than you are for the food.

Sounds like it was a long ride to Disney! You must have been glad to arrive and get settled.

Sorry to hear you had some disappointments.

buzznwoodysmom
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
So sorry to hear your trip was not everything you hoped it would be. I hate to read about trips that turn out that way.

We are not fans of the parking at GF or 1900 Park Fair. We always give a restaurant at least a second try. We try to never judge by one experience, but I don't think we'll ever try 1900 Park Fair again. We thought it was awful. Worst meal of my life, actually! We always try to take WDW transportation when going to GF, or we end up valet parking because I just can't stand that parking lot. You could have parked at the TTC and taken the monorail over to avoid the parking lot, but maybe you didn't have time.

I hope the rest of the trip gets better!

badkitty
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Thank you for the trip report. I look forward to reading the rest.

So sad to hear about the car crash. I always hate waiting in traffic especially when I'm heading for WDW but the delay seems so insignificant when you discover the wait was due to someone's tragic misfortune.

brian2000boston
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
thanks for sharing!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the report

brivers222
06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
This is when I noted tat at the GF if you do not use valet parking you will be treated like a second class citizen. We were told to park in a lot across the street that looked like a factory employee lot. Bad enough guests pay through the nose to stay here but if you do not pay more the magic is lost. At 1900 the dinner was not as good as it was the last time I had a meal there. Granted that was in 2000.

No kidding right? we found that out.. you park over the hill and through the woods if you refuse to give them any more money for valet. That was a long a walk and the unexpected time adding on caused us to be about 20mins late to our massage :(

and you are right, the 1900PF has gone down hill. so much so that we are omitting it from our honeymoon which includes 17 TS meals... sad that it couldn't even make THAT cut lol

princessgirls
06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Sorry your first day was less than optimal and had some disappointments in it.

Hopefully your week can only get better!

Thanks for reporting!

Julie:mickey:

darthmacho
06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
:mickey: Wait! Your DW's swimsuit "ripped in half" and you went swimming with the rest? Shouldn't you have stayed behind to, how shall I put this, help her "sew it back together?" ;):blush:;):blush:;):blush: