PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 1st time cruise..

lindkaye
06-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Never have cruised and we are thinking of this as a way to celebrate our 30th Anniv and DH 60th BD :party:. We would like to spend 6 days at WDW either prior or after a 4 day cruise. I have MS and use scooter,crutches and handicapped lodging. Which Caribbean cruise would you suggest - East or West with their stops? Would you suggest before or after the cruise for WDW resort time - or maybe split? Any problems with weather on cruise for Feb? How much estimated $$ in fees extra than original booking cost? And.. is there anything low-keyed we could do as a celebration for our anniversary on board? I know there is nothing per say at WDW. Thanks for your comments! :thumbsup:

Ed
06-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Never have cruised and we are thinking of this as a way to celebrate our 30th Anniv and DH 60th BD :party:. We would like to spend 6 days at WDW either prior or after a 4 day cruise. I have MS and use scooter,crutches and handicapped lodging. Which Caribbean cruise would you suggest - East or West with their stops? Would you suggest before or after the cruise for WDW resort time - or maybe split? Any problems with weather on cruise for Feb? How much estimated $$ in fees extra than original booking cost? And.. is there anything low-keyed we could do as a celebration for our anniversary on board? I know there is nothing per say at WDW. Thanks for your comments! :thumbsup:

Now, that's what I call an anniversary trip! :thumbsup:

Running through your questions step-by-step ~~

Your MS should not be a problem aboard. The ships have quite a few accessible staterooms that have wide doors, showers that are designed to accommodate wheelchairs, and other such features. At Castaway Cay they have special wheelchairs that have oversized tires to facilitate movement through the sand.

As for which cruise - Eastern or Western - those itineraries are only available on the 7-night or longer cruises. The 3, 4 and 5 night cruises only go to Nassau and Castaway Cay. If you are looking at a 4 night cruise, you will have one day at Nassau, one at Castaway Cay, and one day at sea. Those cruises would be aboard the newest ship, the Dream.

You would probably find that taking the cruise after WDW would be a good way to wind down and relax after the frantic pace of the parks.

We have been on two 7-night cruises in February and one 3-night in January, and the weather has never been what I would consider "bad". Seas were pretty calm, air temps very comfortable (destinations were all in the subtropics), although the water at CC was a bit on the cool side - mid 70's. We never needed anything more than a light sweater or windbreaker on the coolest days.

Extra costs are, of course, dependent on your own spending habits. The main expenses onboard are shopping in the merchandise shops and duty-free shop, alcoholic beverages, spa treatments and shipboard activities such as bingo, wine-tasting seminars, etc.

For your anniversary, I'd highly recommend a dinner at Palo (extra fee of $20 per person) or Remy ($75 per person :eek: ). Both are adult-only facilities with great ambiance and top-notch service. Palo's specialty is Italian cuisine, while Remy's is French.