PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in WDW?

dlpmikki
06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
So I am thinking of inviting a relative to join us in WDW. I know she likes Disney but her parents tell me that she is now very keen on cycling. Is there any cycling in WDW? Or places she can cycle for miles and miles?

dnickels
06-18-2011, 04:55 PM
You can cycle on any of the public roads just as you would a normal public road,
BUT
That means biking on roads with no bike lane / shoulder and sharing those roads with thousands of vehicle driving tourists who are unfamiliar with the roads. It's a recipe for disaster.

She's better off going up north to the West Orange Trail (you'll have to google it since we can't post links) and riding from there. If she follows it out west into Lake County there are some decent hills and nicer (less crowded) riding.

If she's dead set on leaving from Disney property to go biking the only direction I would consider safe is to head out on Western Way because it's the least busy entrance/exit. From there as long as she's going north and/or west it's not too bad.

faline
06-18-2011, 05:40 PM
We've rented bicycles at the Bike Barn in Fort Wilderness and biked around the campground. Many folks who stay there, bring bikes with them. Typically, though, the area around Disney World does not seem particularly bike friendly!

A Big Kid
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
As a cyclist here, I would NEVER even consider cycling in and around Disney property. (Assuming you are talking about road riding.)

There are way too many tourists who dont have a clue which way they are going looking at GPSs, maps, making sudden lane changes, and abrupt stops.

Dont do it.

dlpmikki
06-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks all!