PDA

View Full Version : Packing tips???

flipadeeflop
06-18-2011, 09:50 AM
This is my first time flying to Disney and I know ME has that amazing service where they take care of your checked bags for you!! I also booked with Jet Blue and they do the first checked bag free!! WOO!:thumbsup: I was still considering doing only carry ons. My boyfriend and I have huge hiking packs that MIGHT fit the carry-on size and I will also bring a large tote that fits the personal bag size. IF we do only carry-ons, we will need to figure some tight packing strategies. I think I'm going to buy some cheap rain ponchos that fit into a tiny package and small containers for my shampoo and conditioner instead of bringing the whole bottles (the ones at the resorts DESTROY my hair!)
Does anyone have any packing tips for taking up less room in your bag or just any packing tips in general? Thanks!!!!

kakn7294
06-18-2011, 10:18 AM
For carry-ons, remember that you can only take whatever liquids are in 3.4 oz or smaller bottles that fit in a 1 quart zipper baggie with 1 baggie allowed per person. Read on the TSA website for more info.

For packing tips, try rolling your clothing rather than packing it folded flat. Supposedly you can fit more in your luggage this way and it prevents many wrinkles - I've never personally tried it. Instead of packing them all in a stack, use underwear and socks to fill in gaps left by other clothing as you pack. You can also try to use the vacuum storage bags for packing although those generally work better for "fluffier" clothing like fleece and sweaters.

Also remember that if you purchase a snowglobe at WDW, it cannot be brought home in a carry-on so you would need to either check a bag or arrange for it to be shipped directly to your home for you.

Personally, if I were able to check luggage for free (and I can on Southwest - yay!), I would just check a bag each and let the airlines and Disney do the work. However, I stll always pack at least 1 full change of clothes per person into a carry-on, just in case.

Donald
06-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I would take advantage of the 1st bag free and the DME. Pack everything that you don't need immediately upon arrival in that: Shampoo, clothes, etc... Try making your travel through TSA as easy as possible. Check the weather before you go to see if rain ponchos are needed upon arrival or will you need that swimming suit! :thumbsup:

I travel with a large purse full of entertainment for my kids (Nintendo DS and games, small books), meds/epi pen in quart size bag, ID, $, travel info, anything that I will need to take into the park when I arrive, and chewing gum. That is it. The more you have--the more you have to lug around.

Have a wonderful trip!!!!:mickey:

NJGIRL
06-18-2011, 11:47 AM
My tip. Pack light. Only bring what you know you will need. You are not going to a foreign country where you won't be able to get something that you may unexpectantly need. For years I brought things "just in case" and they never even made it out of my luggage. Then about 6 years ago while my husband was pulling the over packed luggage he said "why do you bring so much stuff" and I couldn't really give him a reasonable answer. So my advice is don't pack for "just in case' pack for "we will need". This has made our vacations alot more easier for me and him. As for the stuff I used to bring and don't anymore, we have never missed it or had to run to the store for it.

Of course bring any prescriptions you use.

gerald72
06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Pack old clothes that you can throw away instead of bringing back dirty. More room for souvenirs on the return trip.

DizneyRox
06-18-2011, 02:29 PM
My rule is, you pack it, you carry it. It has cut down tremendously on the unneeded items that I alway seemed to be lugging around without ever getting used.

DisneyFr33k
06-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok, what I can recommend - plan out your souvenirs! On our last trip (Disney cruise to Alaska), we planned to buy souvenirs at each port of call - especially t-shirts! Luckily we flew Southwest which allowed 2 checked bags per person, so we packed an empty duffle in our checked luggage so we could put our souvenirs in them to carry home as a carry on (minus anything with liquid like water globes). So if you are planning to buy souvenir t-shirts (design a tee at downtown disney is especially cool), plan to pack light on shirts as you can wear them the day after you buy them.

So, if you plan to buy gifts to take home, plan space in your luggage. We packed snacks and a six-pack of large water bottles. As we ate the snacks and drank the water, we replaced the space they took up in the luggage with souvenirs.

Have fun! I wish I were going with you!

NJGIRL
06-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I was still considering doing only carry ons. My boyfriend and I have huge hiking packs that MIGHT fit the carry-on size and I will also bring a large tote that fits the personal bag size. IF we do only carry-ons, we will need to figure some tight packing strategies.

Please if you do this be considerate to others. As I said in my other post , we pack very light, our carry on is very small and just holds a few snacks for the plane, my son's I pod, DS and our tickets, but so many times I see people (we fly US Air) lug on these big carry on's that should be checked. I'm not sure why the airline allows this to happen when there are size restrictions, but they do. I don't know how many times I see people trying to fit these so called carry on's into the overhead compartments. We usually wait to board the plane last and we never have overhead space left. People always take our compartment. Why aren't they using there own?, because they have used all of their space and now feel they have the right to use someone elses too. This is also the reason it takes so long to get off of the plane. Once it's crammed into a space that is too small people have to pull and pull before it comes loose. We sit in the front rows and I have had people from the back ram their way up to the front to get their stuff from my compartment only to hold me up from getting off the plane. This is really a pet peeve of mine as you can see.:D

Off subject: my parents used to own a house about an hour from Watkins Glen. I love that area. We would visit the Gorge and Farm Sanctuary every year.