PDA

View Full Version : Picnic in the Park - Tell me about it

DisneyFr33k
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Can you use the dining plan for this? Would it be counter or table credits?

Is it worth the price?

Scott C
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I might be wrong - but I think it has been discontinued....

Sorry

Scott

KylesMom
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
According to this recent thread, Picnic in the Park is still an option. However, there isn't a lot of information available, and it looks like even the CMs are confused on how it works!

Picnic in the Park (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=182232&highlight=Picnic+in+the+Park)

Mfarquar
06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Hopefully someone who's recently tried it will be able to shed some light on this question! I'm curious about this option as well...

DisneyFr33k
06-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks. I have prided myself on knowing most of the ins and outs of the dining at the World regarding dining. I felt confused when I stumbled on this on another disney site. Guess I'm justified as I'm not alone! I hope someone who knows more about it can educate me! The pictures and menus I've seen shows a lot of food!

Mfarquar
06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok, I did some research:

As of November 29, 2009 - Several changes have been made to the Picnic in the Park process and offerings. Guests will be able to order their picnic at Guest Relations until 2:30 p.m. daily, as well as at the Picnic in the Park podium located outside Island Mercantile.

Payment is due at time of the order. If you're on the Disney Dining Plan, Picnic in the Park may be used as a Quick Service Meal (requires one adult entitlement per meal amount). For example, a meal for three will require three adult entitlements.

Now the dining credit part is a little confusing, but it seems as though quick service credits could be used for at least Tier 1 Picnic in the Park Dining:

All lunch options come in a reusable Disney bag.

Tier 1 features a chicken wrap, ham grinder, tuna pita, turkey focaccia sandwich, or portobello mushroom and vegetable wrap (vegetarian option), with pricing starting at $17.99 plus tax for a meal for two.

Meal for Two - $17.99 + tax
2 Sandwiches, 1 Side, 2 Desserts, 2 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Three – $24.99 + tax
3 Sandwiches, 1 Large Gourmet Side, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $32.99 + tax
4 Sandwiches, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $40.99 + tax
5 Sandwiches, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $48.99 + tax
6 Sandwiches, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Tier 2 offers a choice of rotisserie chicken or ham, with pricing starting at $20.99 plus tax for a meal for two.

Meal for Two - $20.99 + tax
4 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 3/4 lb. of Ham, 1 Side, 2 Desserts, 2 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Three – $29.99 + tax
6 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 lb. of Ham, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $38.99 + tax
8 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/4 lb. of Ham, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $47.99 + tax
10 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/2 lb. of Ham, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $56.99 + tax
12 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 3/4 lb. of Ham, 5 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Gourmet Sides (16 oz.)
-- Chips
-- Macaroni & Cheese
-- Seasonal Fruit Salad
-- Coleslaw
-- Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
-- Tomato and Cucumber
-- Corn Medley
-- Orzo Pasta Salad
-- Green Beans
-- Tandoori Spiced Tofu and Zucchini Squash
-- Oven-Roasted Potato Wedges

Desserts
-- Apple
-- Brownie
-- Cookie
-- Cornbread
-- Crisped Rice Treat
-- Orange

NOTE: No modifications or substitutions are allowed.

I am going to try to find out if there are additional credits required for Tier 2 choices.

DisneyFr33k
06-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Ok, I did some research:

As of November 29, 2009 - Several changes have been made to the Picnic in the Park process and offerings. Guests will be able to order their picnic at Guest Relations until 2:30 p.m. daily, as well as at the Picnic in the Park podium located outside Island Mercantile.

Payment is due at time of the order. If you're on the Disney Dining Plan, Picnic in the Park may be used as a Quick Service Meal (requires one adult entitlement per meal amount). For example, a meal for three will require three adult entitlements.

Now the dining credit part is a little confusing, but it seems as though quick service credits could be used for at least Tier 1 Picnic in the Park Dining:

All lunch options come in a reusable Disney bag.

Tier 1 features a chicken wrap, ham grinder, tuna pita, turkey focaccia sandwich, or portobello mushroom and vegetable wrap (vegetarian option), with pricing starting at $17.99 plus tax for a meal for two.

Meal for Two - $17.99 + tax
2 Sandwiches, 1 Side, 2 Desserts, 2 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Three – $24.99 + tax
3 Sandwiches, 1 Large Gourmet Side, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $32.99 + tax
4 Sandwiches, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $40.99 + tax
5 Sandwiches, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $48.99 + tax
6 Sandwiches, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Tier 2 offers a choice of rotisserie chicken or ham, with pricing starting at $20.99 plus tax for a meal for two.

Meal for Two - $20.99 + tax
4 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 3/4 lb. of Ham, 1 Side, 2 Desserts, 2 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Three – $29.99 + tax
6 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 lb. of Ham, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $38.99 + tax
8 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/4 lb. of Ham, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $47.99 + tax
10 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/2 lb. of Ham, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $56.99 + tax
12 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 3/4 lb. of Ham, 5 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Gourmet Sides (16 oz.)
-- Chips
-- Macaroni & Cheese
-- Seasonal Fruit Salad
-- Coleslaw
-- Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
-- Tomato and Cucumber
-- Corn Medley
-- Orzo Pasta Salad
-- Green Beans
-- Tandoori Spiced Tofu and Zucchini Squash
-- Oven-Roasted Potato Wedges

Desserts
-- Apple
-- Brownie
-- Cookie
-- Cornbread
-- Crisped Rice Treat
-- Orange

NOTE: No modifications or substitutions are allowed.

I am going to try to find out if there are additional credits required for Tier 2 choices.

Thanks! I saw pics of the chicken and ham and sides - HUGE!

Where are you allowed to "picnic"? Do they have tables set up somewhere?

Mfarquar
06-19-2011, 09:32 AM
No problem! I wish I could find more. I will continue looking and post here if I find anything.

It said that there were dedicated picnic areas. I would imagine the cast members would tell you about the different locations you could visit for your picnic.

I'm so surprised no one on Intercot has tried Picnic in the Park recently!

Mfarquar
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Ok, learned a bit more. Not the news I was hoping for!! It seems as though it is now only available seasonally, according to the WDW Moms Panel:

The Picnic in the Park at Animal Kingdom had a lot of fans, but last year Disney announced that it would be offered only seasonally. For a brief time last spring, the Picnic in the Park was available, but after that it switched to a "Grab and Go" at the Beastly Bazaar shop in Animal Kingdom. At the Beastly Bazaar, guests may purchase a picnic for a group of 2, 4, or 6 people, consisting of a non-alcoholic beverage, a choice of sandwich, chips, and dessert. The sandwich choices include Turkey Focaccia; Ham and Salami on Ciabatta; Tuna on Pita; Vegetarian Wrap; and Chicken Caesar Wrap.

It also seems that you still get the "green" bag to tote your food around in.

Apparently, during the busy season, it can be hard to get a picnic table. However, this at least confirms that there are picnic tables to specifically utilize for this program!

The Beastly Bazaar seems like the only definite option!

Marcya23
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't know if this helps but....
We were there the second week of May and wanted this option for our lunch. We were on the dining plan and were a party of two adults, one child, (and a non paying infant). For us, it did not work because the CM did not know how to charge the "children's meal.". So, if you are traveling with only adults, it might be fine. As for us, we were told we could wait until someone else came around for him to ask.... We didn't! :). But it looked good!

Mfarquar
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Marcya23! This is good to know. We are all adults, so this may work out for us if it's not too hot in September.

I may be going again in November with a group of adults, so this might even be better then - when it is much cooler out. Hopefully they'll still offer it later in the Fall.

TheVBs
06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
We're hoping to try this next trip as well. I was thinking it would be nice to pick it up on our way out of the park and have back at our resort by the pool.

Mfarquar
06-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Ohhhh that's a good idea!!

snowflakegirl
06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
We did the new Grab and Go Picnic in the Park option on our last day in the World last August. We picked it up on our way out of the park and ate it back at the hotel waiting for Magical Express. It was perfect.

Mfarquar
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Another good idea!!