PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the kids behind?

DisneyFr33k
06-16-2011, 10:45 AM
We first went to Disney World when our kids wree 4 & 6. We've gone 7 times since (they are 11 & 13) and cannot imagine Disney without them!

Anyone go without kids? Do you get sad or is it a new and fun experience? My DH and I are considering a fall trip when the kids are in school but I am afraid I will be sad leaving the kids behind.

Thoughts from those of you who have entertained the idea or done this? :confused:

DisneyDINK
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
We have a great time going withouk kids, but, than again, we don't have kids.

I can tell you there's pleanty of fun for adults. You'll definately be able to do more of the things you want to do; maybe you'll get in some spa time, golf or dine at places you never would with the kids. You might sleep in a bit here or there, or be able to get out the door earlier depending on what you're into. You're criteria for chosing a resort might be different.

I'm sure you'll have those moments where you say to yourselves DD or DS used to/would love doing this or that, but that won't be so bad.

cajunprincess
06-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I have gone a few times with out my kids...and even with out my husband and kids. The pp is correct. You will have a completely different outlook on the parks, dining, and rides. We were able to zip though things that normally we aren't able to.

I love Disney with and with out kids. Yes there were a few times when I would think...man DS would love that...or wow...that was DS's favorite thing to do when we were here. I did feel bad...but not bad enough to not go.

You will have a wonderful time trust me! You won't regre it!

sorcerer fan
06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
when you go by yourself, you go at your own pace, no worries about who wants this or that or when to eat and what to eat and who doesn't like this. It's a whole new way to see disneyworld. we discovered lots of stuff we had never seen when we went without kids. have been going sans kids since, course they are all grown now and have their own kids. they now understand why we like going alone!

Dulcee
06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
.... the better question might be would your kids forgive you if you went without them? :D

I'm a grown adult, living away from home and engaged to be married and I still get a wee bit jealous when my parents go to WDW lol

DisneyFr33k
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
.... the better question might be would your kids forgive you if you went without them? :D

That's the magic question. I am afraid we will have to sleep with one eye open at night if we tell them!!

Scott C
06-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Our first trip w/o the kids was last sept -- they are both in college now. Actually we just stopped for one day on the way back from the keys to do MNSSHP. We had a great and more relaxing time w/o them - just less pressure I suppose. The only negative was that I don't do most thrill rides -- my wife always did them with the kids. Splash is her favorite -- I was waiting for her at the exit and she was crying -- just being a mom I suppose but she could not go on it again............

Thanks
Scott C

Basket Mommy
06-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Our kids are 13, 10, 8 and 6. Yes, we have gone without them twice (once in 2006 for our 10th anniversary and again in 2008 for a quick trip after we joined DVC). I miss them, and sometimes I do wish they were there to experience things with us, but I love going to WDW alone with my husband. It's such a different experience without the children. No, I don't feel guilty not taking them. We deserve to have time alone, and we take them at least once a year anyway, so I don't think twice about it.

Our 16th anniversary is coming up and I'm seriously considering another WDW trip w/o the kids ; )

flipadeeflop
06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Mine is the opposite! I have to go without my parents for the first time this year!!:(

bshaw96
06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
We have been 4 times with the kids. Once without for my birthday. I felt sooooo guilty and swore id never do it again. Our kids are 13 and 10. However after just getting back from an 8 nite trip listening to their constant bickering....we are planning an adult trip in February 12 :)

luvDaMouse
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Both my girls are in college now and we have gone the last few years without them. We always bring back gifts:) this fall we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary and are sailing on the Dream for 3 days and then staying in akv in a 1 bdr. Both of us decided that we wanted them there to celebrate with us so I changed the reservation to include them and they will fly down to meet us! As another poster said, I don't do the thrill rides so now instead of the single rider lines my Dh will have our dd to go on them with :blush:
Have fun, just remember to bring home a little something special for the kids! My kids like the rice crispy treat mickeys :D

BrerGnat
06-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I've gone without my kids several times. I look forward to the day my husband can join me without the kids. ;) He usually stays home with them so I can get a vacation!

Seriously, though, if you feel comfortable with leaving your kids behind (i.e. they are old enough to be trusted and/or you have a relative staying with them), GO, and enjoy all the things you never get to do because your kids don't want to or don't like it.

You will miss them, but you will be making new memories with your spouse, and that's as important as making family memories.

steamboat willy
06-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I went to WDW as a Kid with Dad, Mom, brother and sister. :)

I went to WDW by myself as a young adult. ;)

I took my girlfriend, now my wife to WDW for her first time. She got burnt. :thedolls:

We took our (2) girls many, many times when they were little through High School. :D

DW and I went for many of our anniversaries. :blush:

I went to WDW without DW once or twice while taking care of business. :(

I went to WDW with my brother and to move (1) DD and her DH and our soon to be born GS to NC. :secret:

We ( DW and I) went back to WDW for our 25th anniversary. :party:

As many have said, go enjoy the Magic. It is a totally different, fun and enjoyable experience with only you and your spouse. You become the KIDS.

NOW, in 98 days.....DW and I are taking our 5 year old grandson to WDW for his first ever DISNEY TRIP! Whoooo Hoooooo! ! !

I think we are looking forward to this one the MOST!

Daisy'sMom
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
We never went without the kids. We figured we would have time later when they found their own lives. We still miss them and it is always so much fun when they spend the day at Disney with us. Usually that is once a year.:mickey:

DisneyFr33k
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
INOW, in 98 days.....DW and I are taking our 5 year old grandson to WDW for his first ever DISNEY TRIP! Whoooo Hoooooo! ! !

I think we are looking forward to this one the MOST!

I love this way of thinking! Instead of losing my children to young adulthood, we can look forward to taking our grandchildren on their first ever trip!!! Thanks!

DisneyMom12
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
My DH and I went for our 1st anniversary leaving my DS11, and our DS7 months. My older son, who had been many times could not believe I would go without him. It really was such a different experience with just the 2 of us. It was a different type of magical than I was used to.

BugeyedMuggy
06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
For the past 5 years we have been going with and without our daughter. She just graduated college. We enjoy our trips with her and when we go without her we miss her but there is so much to explore as a couple. If you plan on a fall trip I would suggest the W&FF time. You can go along at your own pace and plan some culinary demonstrations. Walks on the beach at nite, carriage rides, romantic dinners are just a few things you can do. Go to the Boardwalk and enjoy the nite life. We also go resort hopping and have some cocktails on occasion at the lounges. Enjoy yourselves because as parents you deserve it!

DisneyFr33k
06-18-2011, 06:25 AM
For the past 5 years we have been going with and without our daughter. She just graduated college. We enjoy our trips with her and when we go without her we miss her but there is so much to explore as a couple. If you plan on a fall trip I would suggest the W&FF time. You can go along at your own pace and plan some culinary demonstrations. Walks on the beach at nite, carriage rides, romantic dinners are just a few things you can do. Go to the Boardwalk and enjoy the nite life. We also go resort hopping and have some cocktails on occasion at the lounges. Enjoy yourselves because as parents you deserve it!

Great advice. We've always gone during the Food and Wine Festival - our favorate time of year!!

I am afraid that my guilt leaving them behind would ruin the fun. Maybe we should wait until they are in colleg and just plan one more trip with them before they go?

BugeyedMuggy
06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
We leave for Disney 2 weeks from today. I am also feeling guilty leaving my DD at home but she told me she loves to see us happy and with everything we do for her all year she wants us to have a good time. I know soon she will come with us as she still, at 23 years old, loves Disney. There will be more trips but I think it is important as a couple to get some time to yourselves. As I said in my previous post there is alot to do that you can't do with your children.

Young@Heart
06-19-2011, 02:18 AM
We leave on Friday for our first trip without children. Our sons (17 and 16) have been to WDW 5 times, and our daughter (8) has been 4 times. And while we have priceless memories of every trip, I have to admit that the children (even my little DD :( ) have shown signs of being....(get ready to gasp!)....Disney-ed out. :confused: :confused: :confused: I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but it's true. They're a little sad to not be going with us this time, but they know they'll be going with us next year. I'm hoping that by taking a year off, things will be even more magical for them next trip.
That being said, DH and I have never felt the loss of any magic, on any trip, unless it was due to forcing teenage boys out of bed to hit a park before noon, or telling DD she can't buy EVERYTHING she sees at every gift shop! :fit:
So a relaxing trip without listening to complaining for 6 days is just what we need and derserve! The kids are going to have fun at Gramma's, and be spoiled there for a week, while DH and I can have a little alone time and enjoy WDW in an entirely new and different way! :cloud9:
If you leave your little ones behind, you will (I'm sure, as I know I will) have those moments of sadness, when you're visiting a well-loved attraction, or eating at a favorite family restaurant, or looking at every item in every gift shop :rotfl: But I think you'll find yourself smiling and enjoying each other more than missing the children. And you may even want to plan a second trip without them! :secret:

DisneyFr33k
06-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Ok, we were driving around yesterday on errands and I decided to "test the waters". I asked DD (13) and DS (11) how they would feel if we went to WDW without them. Wow! Complete mutiny! :fit::angry: Maybe we'll wait until they are in college..... that way we can sleep without keeping one eye open! :eek:

MarkC
06-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I would never go without the kids IF they wanted to go as well. We are going twice without them this fall when they are both off to college, but if they had wanted to go this summer we would have taken them along. Once they are out of the house that's another matter.

There are a lot of other places we can go that the kids wouldn't go or enjoy, but Disney isn't one of them.