PDA

View Full Version : Does Child need be present to get GAC

Friend Of Pooh
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
We have a DS with ADHD, ODD and SPD. My son's Doctor gave us a note for him to receive the GAC. I understand from other post that we probably do not need this note.
My question is, does my son need to be with me when I go to Guest Services? We are arriving on Sunday but are not going to a park till Monday. I thought I could maybe go over to one of the parks alone to get the GAC and save us some time for Monday. I appreciate any input. Thank you

alaMode
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Hmmm, I'm not sure because my son is always present when we've requested a GAC for him. It usually only takes 5-10 minutes, depending on how many people are in line at Guest Services, so if you have to wait until your son is with you, it hopefully won't be too hard on him.

Enjoy your trip!

peemagg
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Yes, they want your child to be with you, but with you does not mean that they have to be right beside you, it just means that they have to be site for the CM. You can just have them come in the building with you and stand off to the side, especially if the child is sensitive to being spoken about as to their problems.

BrerGnat
06-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, it is a requirement that the child be with you. The CM needs to visually see the person for whom the GAC is being written up.

Getting the GAC takes a minute, tops. Not worth trying to "save time" for. Just do it as soon as you enter your first park. If there is a long line, have someone else occupy your child and then call for him when you're near the front of the line.

Friend Of Pooh
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you for everyones reply. I had a feeling they would need to see him. I agree it is not worth trying to save some time if it only takes a few minutes. Thanks again.
:thumbsup:

alaMode
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM
This post brought up a funny memory. Last June DS and I went to WDW w/o DH. While I was in line waiting to get ds' GAC at MK, DS got impatient and wandered into the gift shop adjacent to guest services. The shop is very open and I could kind of keep my eye on him, but it made me anxious! I kept getting out of line to check on him. The cms in the empty shop told me not to worry, he was fine just looking at everything and they'd keep an eye on him.

About 3 minutes later, it was our turn, so I called for my son. He shows up carrying all kinds of stuff from the shop-his arms were full-stuffed animals, a princess pin set, an autograph
book and pen, etc. He just walked out like
"Okay, I think I've got everything I need-thanks!"

When he showed up with this HUGE grin on his
face, I was so shocked I burst out laughing, and
so did the guest services cms!

Needless to say, as soon as we were done, we returned to the gift shop and put everything
back. I apologized to the cms, but they just
smiled and said they knew we'd come back with
everything. I did end up buying the pin set for
him b/c he wanted it so badly!

Friend Of Pooh
06-17-2011, 11:15 AM
AlaMode, that is a great story. I can see that happening to us. and of course having to buy something that he picked.

TexansInNY
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
You know - our last trip we got a full week's worth of stroller tickets, the GAC, everything we needed on the first day at MGM - I never thought about this until I read the post as our son was not inside - he was out with his mom - hmmm - would not have been big deal as he was just outside but just something I never recognized.

clausjo
07-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I just got our very first GAC while we were in Disneyland a couple of weeks ago. We've never done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a really quick process but they did ask to see him. He was sitting on a bench right near where we were. We received a stamp for an alternate entrance and it was a life saver! He also has ADHD and SPD and the lines have always been an issue for us, but not this time. It was such an enjoyable trip because we were able to utalize the GAC. I did also notice that some CMs for rides verified that Matt was with us in our group, while other CMs barely even looked at the pass.

Enjoy your trip!

disneymom2000
08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
HHHMMMM What is the GAC? I checked under abbreviations and could find nothing associated with this term and when I put it in SEARCH it said nothing found. What is it for and why do so many people get them?:confused:

joanna71985
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
GAC= Guest Assistance Card. It helps out the CMs with unseen disabilities

DisneyMom12
08-13-2011, 08:33 PM
My son has SPD and ADHD. I also have a note from the doctor. I worry that the CM won't know what SPD is.

joanna71985
08-14-2011, 06:59 PM
It's possible they won't (the CMs at GR aren't doctors). Just explain what you need (for example- not being able to wait in the sun, so needing a shaded place to wait while in line. Or being nearsighted, so needing to be in the front row. Ect).

klb
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
GAC= Guest Assistance Card. It helps out the CMs with unseen disabilities

It also helps with visible disabilities. We've had an instance where my son (who is in a wheelchair and obviously mobility impaired) was denied access because we accidentally left the GAC back at the hotel. We learned to keep it with his wheelchair at all times now.

joanna71985
10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
It also helps with visible disabilities. We've had an instance where my son (who is in a wheelchair and obviously mobility impaired) was denied access because we accidentally left the GAC back at the hotel. We learned to keep it with his wheelchair at all times now.

Pardon my asking, but why would a wheelchair be denied, even if you didn't have the GAC (wheelchairs are allowed in the buildings).

klb
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
At the time the standard queue for the ride he wanted could not accommodate wheelchairs, and we required alternate entry (which we were denied without the GAC). We also would have needed the ride's wheelchair accessible vehicle.

peemagg
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
That is when you ask to see a supervisor. If the line is not wheelchair accessible, then you should automatically if you are using a wheelchair or ECV go thru the alternate entrance. That particular CM was wrong in denying you access to the ride and needs more training.

klb
10-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Agreed Peemagg, and (if there's a) next time. I will do just that. Live and learn, I suppose.

Pirate Granny
10-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I personally like Disneyland Paris the best. My daughter broke her foot and was in a wheelchair. We were required to get a disability card from guest services. Most of the time, when we arrived at the attraction, they gave the next person a card. We were told to go to the alternate entranced, where we waited until the person with the card got to the head of the line...we were then ushered onto the ride next...a great system...both for buses, rides and shows. Fair to all, just because she required a wheelchair, why should we expect to get to the head of the line.

ElenitaB
10-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Pirate Granny, that's a great system. As an ECV rider, I'd be glad to see that put in place. However, I am cognizant that it wouldn't work for all types of disabilities but for me, it would be perfect (I've learned to be very proficient at waiting while dealing with doctors) ! :)