PDA

View Full Version : Where do you eat in the Studios (CS)?

Kairi_7378
06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I am starting to put together my "game plan" for our September trip and I am trying to decide what to do in DHS... specifically, where to eat. What CS meals do you eat in the Studios? We've eaten at the ABC Commissary once and we snacked the other night we were there. I was considering having an early lunch in Epcot and then hopping to DHS in the afternoon, just because the food is better!

Pop Centurion
06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
The Backlot Express over by Star Tours has a good Grilled Turkey & Cheese on multigrain ciabatta with arugula and red peppers.

I also like Fairfax Fare next to RNR & TOT. They have BBQ Chicken, Spare Ribs, Pulled Pork & more.

PalMickey
06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
If time is not an issue, you take a bus 10 minutes ride to the Coronado Spring and have a CS at The Pepper Market, the food is excellent and it is as if you were eating at a TS.

magicofdisney
06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
The Backlot Express over by Star Tours has a good Grilled Turkey & Cheese on multigrain ciabatta with arugula and red peppers.

:thumbsup:
We always eat here as well.

1. Because that's the meal I always order.

2. They have an open fountain-drink bar (FREE refills).

cajunprincess
06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
We always eat at 50's Prime Time Cafe. We love the atmosphere!!!

olivegirl
06-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Backlot Express for us!!! The food is really good and it is a great place to cool off and relax!!! :thumbsup:

rhonary
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
How bout Starring Rolls?

lettripp
06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
We have always had bad experiences at the CS restaurants at DHS... I'd vote for 50's Prime Time or leaving for that meal personally.

Sorry for sounding so negative! Just our preference...

brownie
06-16-2011, 11:56 AM

:thumbsup:

We like the Backlot Express and I really enjoy the turkey sandwich!

lighteningqueen
06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Starring Rolls has huge good sandwiches especially black forest ham..

Backlot express you can refill your drinks and the southwest salad is good..

DisneyFr33k
06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
I posted this same question a year ago when we were planning our trip. Someone here recommended going to the Boardwalk resort and eating at the Boardwalk Bakery. They supposedly have wonderful panni's, sandwiches and pasteries. We didn't get around to going, but plan to next time!

DisneyGirl85
06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Pizza Planet is a must for us...my little brother loves it.

c&d
06-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Backlot Express or Starring Rolls depending on where we are in the park.

Disney4
06-16-2011, 01:20 PM

I also like Fairfax Fare next to RNR & TOT. They have BBQ Chicken, Spare Ribs, Pulled Pork & more.

Agreed on BLE and the ciabatta, but why, oh why, did they remove the brisket from Fairfax?!?!?!?

darthmacho
06-16-2011, 02:25 PM
In 2003, we ate at ABC Commissary with low expectations, but were pleasantly surprised. I haven't done Backlot, but it seems to be popular on the boards. Don't know about Pizza Planet, but I've heard that pizza in WDW is notoriously bad, and not just on these boards. :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Generally our CS pick at DHS is Backlot Express... they have a great griled vegetable sandwich too! :thumbsup:

I must confess though: Starring Rolls looks pretty interesting too, particularly if you have a sweet tooth.

Niecyboo
06-16-2011, 10:43 PM
We love Starring Rolls. Their portions are HUGE though. I recommend looking at what you will be getting before you order. The first time we went, we ordered 5 sandwiches for our family of 5 (at that time they didn't have any children's options and we were on the dining plan). My 6 year old son's sandwich was as big as his head! We could have easily filled up on 3 sandwiches. And, best of all, the desserts that come as your dessert are the best. And also huge.

Jared
06-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Disney's Hollywood Studios is notorious for its overall dearth of worthwhile counter-service options. None of the locations rival some of the better places in the other parks, like Sunshine Seasons or Columbia Harbour House. Like others have said, Backlot Express is probably the best choice, but I wouldn't expect much.

That said, it's probably not a great use of time to leave the park just for a counter-service lunch. Will you have the best meal of the trip? No, definitely not, but wherever you wind up will be satisfying enough to keep you going until dinner -- at a better restaurant, hopefully!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
This is easy for me, DHS has a hidden gem CS Starring Rolls....although it is a limited menu the sandwiches and pastries are awesome

phillydan
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Backlot Express = Free Refills!:D

crltkcagle
06-18-2011, 11:06 AM
We love Pizza Planet for cs meals while in HS. And for a TS we also enjoy Mama Melrose!

xo0ally
06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
We usually eat at Backlot express it has your typical food but its good and usually not super crowded. Also on our last visit we at some place in Dinoland but I don't remember the name and i can't find it any where on any website :confused:

Kairi_7378
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks all! These are some great suggestions. We did eat at the Commissary a few years ago and we didn't think it was bad... not great, but all right for a CS meal to eat while we were waiting for Fantasimic.

MinnieMommie
06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
My very favorite place to eat at DHS is Starring Rolls. The pastries are yummy, it is hard to find black forest ham anywhere and they grind fresh beans for the coffee. Really nice seating area outside as well. Tasty selections and a nice relaxing atmosphere. :thumbsup:

lighteningqueen
06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
We usually eat at Backlot express it has your typical food but its good and usually not super crowded. Also on our last visit we at some place in Dinoland but I don't remember the name and i can't find it any where on any website :confused:

Isnt that in AK

Starring and Back lot are the best get refills on drinks there as well.

Zawadi
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Starring Rolls is good :thumbsup:

AVOID the ABC Commissary :ack:

BluewaterBrad
06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
ABC Commissary is a must for me. The chicken curry is good and more "kick" to it than you would expect at a CS.:mickey:

Zawadi
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
ABC Commissary is a must for me. The chicken curry is good and more "kick" to it than you would expect at a CS.:mickey:

I was talking from experience of a "carboard" burger which was definitely the worst, cold, burger that I've ever had.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Starring Rolls is good :thumbsup:

AVOID the ABC Commissary :ack:

Oh yes I agree with ABC:ack:we ate their several years ago and the best thing about it was the part where we left:( Seriously, it was so bad we threw our food away and trust me we like to eat and rarely do that.

DisneyorBust
06-19-2011, 08:06 PM
We like the Backlot Express, it has a number of different choices, different from most CS.

Fastpasssteve
06-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Starring Roles has a great carrot cake sandwich cookie thingey! Cream cheese frosting. Too delicious. Also, good bakery over by The Brown Derby.

sixshot19
06-24-2011, 02:32 AM
I agree, Backlot Express. It always seemed to be a little less busy to me as well. But with the Star Tours revamp next door, probably not anymore.