PDA

View Full Version : Week after New Years really the slowest?

AmandaChan
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I was talking to a CM at the MK about the opening of Fantasyland and how it was going to be a huge deal and it was going to be so busy. I said the next time we come back will probably be at the 'slowest' possible time of the year... he said right after New Years is the slowest. I thought that sounded good... we'll def be back before our kids are old enough for school. What are your thoughts on going back during this time? What is the weather like?

Maleficent_vf
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
:secret::secret: We love the week after New Year's. You can catch some of the Christmas Decorations before they disappear for another year. Crowds are low. :thumbsup:

We loved the temps at this time of year too - though coming from Western NY, anything above 40 seems balmy at that time. I don't think we've ever seen any rain showers. If you're interested in the water parks or spending time poolside, its probably not the best time because of the temps. Park hours tend to be a little shorter than at peak times and it gets dark pretty early, but the parks are lovely at night too.

ali'sdad2003
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I would not say the slowest. The slowest time is probably late September. We had gone for 3 years during that time on Free Dining and the restaurants are busy but the parks are not. The only thing to watch for is the marathon on Saturday and that only impacts getting to MK or EPCOT. The MK was very slow that Saturday morning we could not believe it. There must have been a line of several hundred to a thousand people waiting for the Monorail for EPCOT at the TTA. We went 1/-1/8 this year and the weather is perfect IMHO and the parks are filled with Christmas decorations. Make sure to see the Osborne Lights. Amazing. We are planning to go 1/1-1/8 in 2012 as well.:mickey:

Aurora
06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Our January trip was in 2002 so I don't know about crowds anymore (then, it was almost empty!), but we did get to see the beautiful Christmas decorations. Temps for the week we were there (the first full week after New Year's) ranged from lows in the upper 30s to highs in the 70s. We brought winter coats and had to use them one night; the rest of the week was a little chilly but not cold.

On several nights the Magic Kingdom closed at 6 p.m., so there were lots of hours to kill after that, and it was too cold to swim, even for Chicagoans. (Let me amend that to say it wasn't too cold for my insane brother and sister, who were in their 20s at the time and were determined to swim in the 30-degree temps, while their older sisters stood by the heated pool in their winter coats.)

Giselle
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
We went during that week and it was like we were VIPs. We walked on any ride and rode repeatedly without getting off. We walked through HS and there was literally no one else on the street we were on. No reservations were needed to eat any place we chose. That was great. It did get cold though. It was 35 at night and the parks close early. It was too cold to swim but I would def recommend it.

AmandaChan
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Does it ever get really cold during the daytime? I can deal with coldness at nighttime and no swimming, we hardly swim as it is...

Melanie
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
It used to be! I can attest to that. But with the increase in attendance with the marathon and Brazil tour groups, it's not so quaint anymore. It's still a great time to go though!

Mickey'sGirl
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Does it ever get really cold during the daytime? I can deal with coldness at nighttime and no swimming, we hardly swim as it is...
Yes. It can also be quite hot. It all depends! We about froze our buns off when we went at the beginning of January one year ...

MarkC
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
You also need to look at what day of the week New Years Day is on. If its a Wednesday or Thursday, often the schools won't start back up until the following Monday so that week can also be very busy. If its a Friday-Monday you are probably in great shape for the week as schools will start up the 2nd or 3rd of Janauary.

DisneyQuester
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I was there for the 2010 Marathon in Jan. We never waited more than 20 minutes for a ride and rarely used fast pass, however we did see flurries and had to wear winter jackets all day and night long. 2010 was one of the coldest FL winters in history with 7 snow events so it is hit or miss. I love seeing the holiday decorations and avoiding the long lines so I don't mind the cold too much. However, standing outside at 4 AM before the marathon was quite the frigid experience. I am from New England and that was without a doubt the coldest I've ever been since the temp was in the teens and I was dressed to run.

disneyfan328
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
we are thinking of going this year arrival on 1/8 for 6 nights? maybe 7 or 8 depending. When is the marathon and how are crowds normally this week? Does anyone know when the xmas decorations get taken down? would they still be up that week? I can deal with jeans and sweatshirts if necessary but I don't want to have to wear my winter coat at disney :( not really worried about swimming either - any input is appreciated!

tink88
09-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry I don't know the dates of the marathon, but we always go mid-January or first week in Feb., and it is very quiet. Good resort rates are available too. As a Floridian I think it is often cold. If it's sunny it makes a big difference and is much more pleasant. Over-cast and wind require a sweatshirt but not a coat. Have a great time :mickey:

jiifigment
09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
We went last year this same week...and will be there again in 2012 (Jan.8-14). :mickey:

Marathon info is here:
http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/

It doesn't say if there is free entry into the parks for anyone with a participation medal from the marathons on Monday this year. Last year there was, and Monday was a ZOO. (Busy everywhere) Tuesday was better, but really it was Wednesday before the parks were what I would consider low attendance, but we're used to mid-September (ie:spoiled).:secret:

???Does anyone know if they're offering free entry for medals in 2012? :confused:???

Weather was REALLY cold last year. We came out of Illuminations after watching it from the new restaurant on the lagoon in Mexico, and RAN to the buses shivering uncontrollably. We didn't think to bring jackets/coats/gloves, and we're Texans, but I did have on a long sleeved thin sweater. I haven't been that cold in a LONG time! I would have paid good money for a winter coat! I would say come prepared to layer, just in case.

Example actual temperatures:
1/11/11 High 66 Low 51
1/12/11 High 53 Low 39
1/13/11 High 51 Low 32

IT WAS COLD!

disneyfan328
09-17-2011, 05:48 PM
thanks everyone. I figure that we'll have our winter coats with us anyway since we are leaving PGH which is freezing in January but just trying to figure out what to pack is the hard part. suitcases only hold so much so I guess it will be some capris, jeans and maybe a pair of shorts, t shirts, sweatshirts and we'll have our gloves and coats. I guess watching the weather a week before or so will help as well - hopefully they can somewhat predict around what the temps will be so I at least have some idea of what kind of clothes to bring.:thumbsup:

A Big Kid
09-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Two years ago during marathon week, daytime temps were in the 20's.

TheHD
09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Another thing to consider is ride refurbishments. We were there through the New Year until the 6th of Jan, I believe, in 2010 and that's when they'll refurbish Splash Mountain and maybe a few others.

disneyfan328
09-18-2011, 07:41 PM
already checked into the ride refurbs and we've been on splash enough times that its ok if its down. There are some others as well, but nothing that's horrible (unless of course TT refurb has already started by the time we get there) We figure that a few rides down that we hopefully have already ridden will give us a chance to slow down a bit and see/ride a few things we haven't.

I hate to say it but in 4 trips to Disney we still have yet to do the Hall of Presidents! It's a must on my list for this trip!

Melanie
09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
January used to be a wonderful time to go. My favorite, in particular that first week. Now with the increased marathon events and Brazilian tour groups, it's not AS desirable, but still very nice. I would agree that September is the best time to go now in regards to crowds.

TheHD
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I hate to say it but in 4 trips to Disney we still have yet to do the Hall of Presidents! It's a must on my list for this trip!

I know how it is. This November will be our 5th trip and there are attractions that we still haven't done. We just did the Hall of Presidents last trip for the first time. The more times we go, the more we try to do the things we haven't done before.

EpcotChic23
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't know if the first week of Jan is the slowest. My family and I were trying to set up a trip to go then and the Cast Memember on the phone told my mom there were not many rooms because of the marathon. And the rooms avaliable were going for $500+ (in the Poly and Contemporary). Kind of bummed now b/c we can't go.....maybe Feb.