PDA

View Full Version : Getting on the Ship ?

waymickey
06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
I have not cruised in over 4 years and honestly do not remember much about how getting on the ship worked. I do remember long lines and paper work.
I know there is on line check in and I have started that process. I was just wondering what to expect at the terminal. Wait times? the process it self. I also heard that there is a boarding number now? what is this all about? Any information would be great. I am sailing on the Dream in August. :mickey:

Ed
06-15-2011, 11:53 PM
When you arrive at the terminal (or when you check in at Orlando Int'l Airport) you'll be given a card with your boarding group number on it. If you do the online check-in, you've got 90% of the paperwork done. Just have your ID and the contract signature page ready. In the check-in line, you'll be directed to one of the many counter positions, where a crew member will inspect your ID, verify your credit card, take a digital photo, and issue you your Key To The World (KTTW) cards. If you have sailed with DCL previously, you'll also be given color-coded lanyards to hold your KTTWs.

Once the ship is ready to receive guests, boarding starts. Concierge guests are boarded first. Then announcements will be made on the PA system advising which group number is being allowed onboard. Generally, there's about five minutes between groups.

As you board, your party will have a photo taken along the gangway; it's up to you whether you want to buy it or not.

As you step aboard the ship, a crew member will ask your family/group's name, and announce your arrival over the atrium PA system, and the assembled crew will applaud to welcome you. A crew member will give you a quick briefing as to where you may go for lunch, when your stateroom will be available (generally 1:30pm) and answer any questions you might have.

Be prepared for a rather crowded terminal building; it was designed to accommodate the smaller passenger loads of the older ships. This is one of the reasons why they ask you to designate your arrival time, although it really isn't enforced.

:sail:

waymickey
06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the information. We do not remember from our last cruise having a boarding number. We sailed with DCL in 2006 and the terminal was not very crowded but it did take quite a while to board the ship.

We are going in August and are staying at DW prior to our cruise. We are driving to the port and plan to arrive around 10:30 am. Is this too early or too late? Also do you know how long it takes to get to the port from Disney ? I figured around 1 and half hours.

Thanks again for the information.

Ed
06-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Arriving at 10:30 should be just about right. We arrived at about that time for our May cruise, and zipped right through security into the terminal. Just be aware that you won't be able to board until around 12, and there's not much to do in the terminal building to pass the time.

If you use the most direct route from WDW to the port (I-4 to SR528 to the port) it should take just a little over an hour; it's just about 70 miles.