PDA

View Full Version : Bus question

BongoFury
06-15-2011, 07:30 AM
What is the general feeling here on Disney transport to and from the parks?
I've heard some say that it's great and others say rent a car because it's terrible.

micky95
06-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Transportation is my one problem with disney.sometimes its not bad.othertimes it really stinks.for instance ive been waiting in line leaving a park with other people (30?)a bus would pull up to another resort with 10,then 5 minutes later another bus would pull up to the same resort that is now empty and would leave with no one on board.ive seen this happen countless times .i understand they have there routes to take but but get on the radio and call for a bus to come to the busy stops.its always worse at closing time.my wife and i have stayed off property and find the little drive to and from parks not bad.some people stay on property and still drive to the parks.i still like the bus transportation because i dont have to drive but i know they can do better.oh the resort we always stay at is POP Century so others may be different.:mickey:

steamboat willy
06-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I personally think Disney is the BEST at what they do. They know how to move people. Whether it be Bus, Boat or Monorail. They know where the numbers are as far as Resorts and move buses or boats to get the people moving. YES, expect to wait with other Disney Loving Folks in a line for all the above. Expect a bus or boat going somewhere else, but don't worry! Your bus and boat is close behind.
I would NEVER rent a car to get around the World, that's why I stay at a Disney Resort. Park the car until I'm ready to leave. Ride the bus, Love the Boat and Enjoy the Monorails! :thumbsup:

Daisy'sMom
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
I think Disney's bus service is fantastic. Never have waited longer than 10 minutes. It's a matter of patience. And you don't have to pay for a car!!!!:mickey:

tazlikesrobots
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Never had an issue with Disney transportation. I think the most I ever waited was 20 minutes for a bus and this was over 4th of July week!

By using the bus system we cut out the car rental and have more spending money for the trip. Granted we walk more, but we are OK with that :mickey:

mgmnut
06-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I would have to say it all depends on where you are staying and where you are going.

If you are staying at a resort at one end of the property and are going to a park at the other end of the property, it could feel like it takes forever to get there. Remember, this place is huge, there is a lot of ground to cover.

If your resort is packed and you are leaving to the parks in the morning, the same time as everyone else, you may need to wait for a second bus. You can only fit so many people, strollers, and ECV's on one bus.

At park closing everyone is leaving all at once. Again, you may have to wait for another bus.

If you drive and park yourself you will be waiting for a Tram, and then the Boat, or the Monorail to get in, and then again when leaving. You may sit in traffic getting into or out of the parking lot.

Until someone breaks the key to teleporting one way or the other you may have to wait. People are impatient by nature and are excited and in a rush to go have fun in the parks or wherever else they need to be. You will never be able to please everyone and will always hear negative remarks about the way things are done, or how they could be done better.

I love that Disney covers all the bases. Stay on property and they will get you where you need to go. You are on vacation, you just need to sit back, relax, and let them get you there. I think they do a pretty good job!

:twocents:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-15-2011, 09:24 AM
We've enjoyed using their transportation and have never waited more than 20 minutes with the exception of our last trip. We were resort hopping and had to wait 45 minutes for a bus at the Grand Floridian to take us to DTD......but normally we stay value or moderate and have never had issues

Ms. Mode
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I personally think Disney is the BEST at what they do. They know how to move people. Whether it be Bus, Boat or Monorail. They know where the numbers are as far as Resorts and move buses or boats to get the people moving. YES, expect to wait with other Disney Loving Folks in a line for all the above. Expect a bus or boat going somewhere else, but don't worry! Your bus and boat is close behind.
I would NEVER rent a car to get around the World, that's why I stay at a Disney Resort. Park the car until I'm ready to leave. Ride the bus, Love the Boat and Enjoy the Monorails! :thumbsup:

I agree with everything SW has said here...this is exactly our feelings on the matter! :mickey:

Silver_Surfer
06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Disney does an AWSOME job!

One driver that really stuck out was Erik who always made the ride very amusing

Dragongirlx
06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
I love the disney transportation and never have a problem getting anywhere. It can get busy at the end of the day but that's only to be expected

KatrinaJ91
06-15-2011, 11:21 AM
We usually drive on vacation...not real big on flying! Even though our car is sitting there in the parking lot, we still would rather take the bus! Less headaches in getting around...don't have to pay to park...no worries about sitting in traffic at the end of the day. It's vacation and it is so nice to have someone drive you around and you don't have to think/worry about that!
The lines for the busses are usually not that bad...I think we've had to wait about 20 minutes, at most!
We have driven into the parks before when we stayed off-site and missed being able to use the bus system. It just makes life easier and less stressful!

CajunDisneyDad
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Like most of the posters, I have not really had an issue with the buses. Sure you may have to wait, sure you may have to sit there while 2 of those carts load up and 20 of their friends and family pile on to the bus :) Just remember patience is the order of the day. One thing I have noticed is like some have said it all depends on where you stay. The values are almost always going to be packed, since that is where a majority of familys with multiple kids might stay. The worse I saw was our last trip (around begining of march) when there was a line at DTD from the loading area for the All-Stars all the way to the entrance gate to DTD... took us an hour to get onto a bus lol. But other than that we have had no real hiccups.

Just remember, its disneyworld! Enjoy!

brownie
06-15-2011, 12:23 PM
We've had a car or van on our last few trips and that has worked out great for us. The buses were okay on our last trip, but we did have some long waits (we stayed at Pop Century).

joonyer
06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
We drive to Orlando and still use the Disney buses for 95% of our transport while we are at WDW. Occasionally, we might have to wait a few minutes, but we have found that it takes longer to drive and park, then shuttle, etc. to the parks than take the buses right to the front gates.

If you are in a real hurry and absolutely cannot stand waiting at a bus stop for even a few minutes at park closing, then you may want to drive, but keep in mind if you drive, it takes a long time to get to your car at the MK lot once you walk past the front gates, out of the train station.

We are not in a hurry to leave the parks and when we mosey our way out after closing, we rarely have to wait more than a few minutes to catch a bus. It's really convenient. You're paying for the service anyway, so why not save the gas and use Disney's?

BongoFury
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Until someone breaks the key to teleporting one way or the other you may have to wait. People are impatient by nature and are excited and in a rush to go have fun in the parks or wherever else they need to be. You will never be able to please everyone and will always hear negative remarks about the way things are done, or how they could be done better.

I love that Disney covers all the bases. Stay on property and they will get you where you need to go. You are on vacation, you just need to sit back, relax, and let them get you there. I think they do a pretty good job!

:twocents:

You're right. Although I like the teleportation idea.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.:thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
We almost always rent a car. Partly for getting around Disney and partly for doing other things around the area. As a matter of convenience for us, we'll usually drive to the parks because we find it easier. We also dine a lot at the Disney resorts, and having a car for those trips is a huge plus. That being said, we don't hesitate to use the buses when needed, too. The bus system isn't bad. We just like having more control when we travel.

Disney4
06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I really prefer the ease and privcay of a car. We come and go as we please, not having to wait for a bus - or two - or three. Being able to flop in a cool car and not have to deal with strollers bashing my legs, etc. makes the $300 a week for a rental worth it (We also run to the store and off property on occasion for meals).

That said, I use the bus for MK trips. Having to use the TTC anyways seems to make the bus a better bet.

KODABEAR
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
:old::knit::vacation:We use the bus when we go to the parks. Use our car when we have ADR's at Poly etc. We like to arrive early and not have to worry about catching a bus late at night. :cloud9:

Goes4FastPass
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Some people seem to be just Piglet headed when it comes to busses, “I don’t ride busses with the riff-raff in my daily life. Why would I ride a bus when I’m on vacation? I prefer being the master of my own rental car.”

P.U. That “Master” has to find his way around the miles of roads at Walt Disney World and that rental car he’s enjoying costs more than a little to rent and buy fuel for. And at WDW you don’t park your car right in front of your door so you have to walk from your room to your parked car – then wait in line at the parking lot entrance then park and walk to the end of the row to wait for a tram to take you to park entrance.

And WDW transportation is part of the fun of a WDW vacation. Sure WL to O‘hana involves a boat ride and a monorail ride. When our server at O’hana asked our table, “Do you know what O’hana means?” our 3YO happily answered, “Monorail!” because that’s how he got there.

If you are driving to WDW then I would be the first to say some place to place intra-WDW trips are easier in car but I would not fly into Orlando and rent a car if WDW was my destination.

Sylvia
06-15-2011, 09:39 PM
We have never had any problems with Disney Transport, and that includes the trips when my Mother used a wheelchair.

When we stay in one of the parks until closing, we never rush out to the bus stop, only to stand in a very long line. We enjoy the atmosphere of the park; we find a great spot to people watch, enjoy a treat, and relax. By the time we're ready to leave, we enjoy a leisurely walk to the bus stop for our resort. This works every time - by the time we leave, there is no line, and we never have a long wait for a bus.

Kairi_7378
06-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Our family takes public transportation every day to get to work/ school. (Commuter railroad, trolley, or bus.) We don't think that the Disney buses are bad at all.

darthmacho
06-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Last August was the first time in 4 trips we went without a car and used WDW transportation. I'd say in most cases, the busses did the job and got me to and from the park without much of a problem.

The worst times to take the bus was at night at park closings. Bus stops were hugely crowded, some resorts seemed to have busses more often, and stroller an wheelchair loading often slowed things down considerably, all during a time when adults and children alike were EXHAUSTED and kinda cranky. That being said, I think overall, the bus system works, and we made it through the 10 days without missing a park opening or ADR. :mickey:

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Ya know, like everything else you may have to just try it to form your own opinion.

Some people like some things and others hate those exact same thing. Some people love Via Napoli...some will never go back even if the meal was free. Some hate CBR because it is far too big to walk to the food court and some like the stroll across the bridge to get some grub or to swim.

I seldom post here, but I do read alot and I appreciate all of the feedback from others. What I have learned is that everyone is different with differing opinions on everything. I just stick to my guns and go with the gut and if you do that, you will be fine.

Myself, I have patience and don't mind waiting for busses to and from the parks no matter what time I am going to or coming from. Would a car be a nice perk? Sure, but do I want to pay 50 bones (or more) a day to go where I need to when I already have my transportation paid for at check-in? That is for you to decide.

Enjoy either way.

mechanic
06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
also the buses have great drivers who are often funny and informative.

nfrustaci
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
hey Sylvia,
i love your idea of not rushing to the bus stop. i am going to try that on our next visit in oct, if our 2 yo will allow a late night. thanks for the tip !!

RBrooksC
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
I will always rent a car. I filled up my car once when we were there back in May and that was when I was about to drive back to the airport.

The monorail is fine. I have no problem with that except when trying to leave the MK on the Resort monorail and one has to wait a long time amongst the great unwashed in the heat late at night. (my son begged to ride it back to the CR).

He also wanted to ride the monorail to Epcot. However, the monorail was "down" when we tried to ride it. So, the Cast Member said there was a bus. So, I told my son, we are going to ride back to the CR and get the car. But he begged me to ride the bus. What fun. I had to freaking stand the whole time, after having to stand on the Monorail from the CR to the TTC. Nothing says fun and enjoyment like standing on transportation to the parks.

I would rather take my rental car, sit in the A/C, listen to the radio and get back and forth from the parks comfortably. I will NEVER use Disney public transportation unless I HAVE to use it.

Fastpasssteve
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
If we have a wild night in EPCOT, Raglan Road, or Jellyrolls, there is no need for a designated driver. We are all free to imbibe and enjoy ourselves knowing that we don't need to worry about our safety or those around us. I find driving to be arduous...I don't enjoy it in the best of circumstances. When I'm at WDW, I don't have to worry. I leave the driving to them. A carefree mind is the beginning of a great holiday.

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
hey Sylvia,
i love your idea of not rushing to the bus stop. i am going to try that on our next visit in oct, if our 2 yo will allow a late night. thanks for the tip !!

You're welcome!! If your late night is at the MK, get some ice cream or a treat from the bakery to enjoy while you're relaxing. I bet that'll appeal to your 2 yo. :mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
We've enjoyed using their transportation and have never waited more than 20 minutes with the exception of our last trip. We were resort hopping and had to wait 45 minutes for a bus at the Grand Floridian to take us to DTD......but normally we stay value or moderate and have never had issues

We must have stayed at the GF during the stay time and waited for the same DTD bus. Generally we have loved the bus / boat / monorail transpoartation at Disney. No worries about parking, walking to the car, catching a tram to the car, getting lost trying to find you way back tio the resort, forgetting where the car is parked, parking at the resort, paying for gas, etc, etc, etc.

The only time we have driven / rented a car is when we planned a side trip to the space center. If we are staying on property, we used the DFisney transportation. Since I am paying for it (included in the cost of the Disney resort), I use it.

kemps@wdw
06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
A rental car may be just a little extreme. Buses are always slow because they have to make multiple stops. So plan on giving yourself plenty of time to get to your destination if traveling by bus, especially if you have ADRs. With other transportation options available, you should have no trouble getting where you need to be. Besides, WDW transportation gives you an opportunity to see a large part of WDW property. You may even decide to disembark at another resort just to take a look around!

Tink#64
06-20-2011, 12:55 AM

:ditto::exactly::bus::boat::train::thumbsup:

alaMode
06-20-2011, 04:17 AM
I LOVE using WDW transportation! I have to drive to work everyday, so I really look forward to letting someone else do the driving while we're on vacation.

I also appreciate the different modes of transportation available and try to use them as much as possible. I love taking the boat to MK from WL-very relaxing.

We always seem to meet nice people on the way to the parks, too. This adds to the festive experience of being in WDW.

PetefromRI
06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Some people seem to be just Piglet headed when it comes to busses, “I don’t ride busses with the riff-raff in my daily life. Why would I ride a bus when I’m on vacation? I prefer being the master of my own rental car.”

P.U. That “Master” has to find his way around the miles of roads at Walt Disney World and that rental car he’s enjoying costs more than a little to rent and buy fuel for. And at WDW you don’t park your car right in front of your door so you have to walk from your room to your parked car – then wait in line at the parking lot entrance then park and walk to the end of the row to wait for a tram to take you to park entrance.

And WDW transportation is part of the fun of a WDW vacation. Sure WL to O‘hana involves a boat ride and a monorail ride. When our server at O’hana asked our table, “Do you know what O’hana means?” our 3YO happily answered, “Monorail!” because that’s how he got there.

If you are driving to WDW then I would be the first to say some place to place intra-WDW trips are easier in car but I would not fly into Orlando and rent a car if WDW was my destination.
I have to agree 100% with this whole statement.Even though we hate waiting,if you really add in all the time driving(and maybe getting a little lost),traffic,parking lots and trams,you may find that taking the bus is probably faster.The only thing I don't care for is standing on a bus(bulging disc problem)so alot of times we'll wait for an empty bus so I can sit.That's why I don't give up my seat,I'm not being rude,I just think that if you have to sit then wait for another bus.Wow,I really went off on a tangent there now didn't I.

RBrooksC
06-21-2011, 07:41 AM
I The only thing I don't care for is standing on a bus(bulging disc problem)so alot of times we'll wait for an empty bus so I can sit.That's why I don't give up my seat,I'm not being rude,I just think that if you have to sit then wait for another bus.

When I am on vacation, the last thing I want to do is STAND on any type of transportation. I am going to be walking all day and I would like to sit. When we were there in May many times we ended up standing on the monorail (when we rode it) and the one time I took the bus, my son and I had to stand.

I will never do ANYTHING else but rent a car when in Disney. Even my mother, who went with us a couple of days, who was getting on my case because we were renting a car when "Disney has all those transportation options" agreed it was a much easier and relaxing vacation when one has a car to use.

ThanxForNoticin
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Sounds like we all have some good choices then. For those of us who prefer the rental car approach, we greatly appreciate all the folks that prefer the busses - it keeps the traffic down around the parks. For those of you who prefer the busses, you can thank the people who drive - it keeps the crowds down on the busses! See, it's a win-win, and everyone can have a great time doing what they like to do and getting to where they want to have their fun!

Fastpasssteve
06-23-2011, 02:03 AM
My priorities extend beyond issues of speed. My chief concern is a vacation entirely free of hassle, worry, and responsibility. If we want to drink at dinner, the buses carry us safely back to our resort without having to worry about ourselves or others.

I don't want to have to drive or deal with traffic or lines entering the parking lots or the tram or remembering where we parked.

Slow down...you move too fast...
...you've got to make the moment last...

flipadeeflop
06-23-2011, 07:46 AM
I've never had to wait too long for a bus. The longest I've waited is when a park closes and everyone gets in line , but I can only imagine that cars have to wait in the same lines during those times. The only thing I don't like about the bus is sometimes you have to stand if the bus is full and you still want to catch it. I hate standing at the end of the day when I'm tired!!! I do have to say that it's totally worth it all just for the reason that Disney takes one more stress off your shoulders. I love not having to worry about transportation, I am already taken care of!!!!!!

lylone
06-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Getting to the parks isn't a big issue, but returning seems to be the hassle. Buses are always crowded and WAY too many stops. We stayed at the BC and had to stop at Swan, Dolphin and YC before the BC. This alone took 45 minutes. Felt really bad for the people staying at BW...they were always the last to be let off.

AmandaChan
06-23-2011, 02:39 PM
It always depends.. this year we had the BEST luck with busses.. we RAN after the bus I would say about 5 times.. everyone in our party was like dang' we have had good luck. We stayed at CBR and I was skeptical b/c you always read the good and bad reviews and you just expect the bad. The truth is you can have good luck or bad luck. You just have to show up and find out. Even when we've had 'bad' luck it was no where to the extent I would swear off using the busses again. I would rather wait 25 min for a bus than take a hot car and try to find my way back to the resort. Obviously I would not want to wait 25 min each time but this is not the norm.