PDA

View Full Version : Help with car rental!

BWayGrl
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm planning a trip for 4 in November (my fiance, his daughter, and her boyfriend). We will be flying down from Philadelphia and staying at the Pop Century.

Here's the conundrum: we are going to Disney the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and then planning to visit the in-laws in Lakeland, FL (which is about an hour away from Orlando) on Thanksgiving day. We won't need a car the entire week we're in Disney, but we will need one to get to Lakeland at the end of our trip. Are there any car rental places near the Pop that we could easily get to? Or should we just spend the extra money and get the car for the entire length of our trip?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! We're not really sure what to do.

Stickey
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Alamo has locations at the Dolphin and the Car Care Center outside MK. The Dolphin is an easy walk to/from Epcot or DHS. The weekly rate might be a better deal.

Scar
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
If you can afford the car for the length of trip, do it. POP Century relies 100% on buses. I had a car at POP my last trip and it was great.

National also rents at The Dolphin and POP is about a 45 min walk from there if you are so inclined.

Tink#64
06-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Alamo on WDW is great! Several years ago we flew into MCO, used DME to get to Pop & had made arrangements to rent a van at the end of our WDW stay to rent a car from Alamo & drive to Cocoa Beach for a few days.(Note, even when we drive - we NEVER use our vehicle once we arrive on WDW property, we think WDW transpo does a fine job & doesn't warrant our having to navigate WDW & having to get into a hot car when we leave the parks). (One year we made a last minute trip to WDW during Spring Break & there was nothing available on site for our first couple of days - :ack:, I didn't feel like our vaca really began until we checked in at Pop & parked our van & let Disney haul our butts around!)

Ok, off track, sorry Back to the rental - We were picked up at Pop, transported with our luggage to Alamo, got our van, & after our beach visit, we were able to return our rental at the airport before our flight home! It was excellent service! I called Alamo & made all arrangements before we arrived & it all went like clockwork! :thumbsup:

faline
06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
If you rent on Disney property, check to be sure the car rental location will be open on the holiday. You might need to pick it up the day before.

BWayGrl
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone! These sound like good suggestions. I will definitely check first to make sure they will be open for the holiday :mickey:

RBrooksC
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I would say just rent a car for the whole trip. You can never go wrong staying off the Disney public transportation.

Patricia
06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
There is also a Dollar Car Rental at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort. Used to be the Regal Sun Resort and is directly across the street from the Down Town Disney bus loop.

I found them to be cheaper than the other options, but it often depends on the time of year.