PDA

View Full Version : Water Rides always mess up the do!

flipadeeflop
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I almost always wear my hair down :elvis:, even when the weather in WDW is hot hot hot!! I know this sounds silly since the last thing I should be thinking about in Disney is my hair, but I also style my hair, otherwise it's a frizzy mess ESPECIALLY if it gets wet on a water rides like SM and KRR :rain:!!! I would always borrow my father's hats on these rides and tuck my hair in it or wear my poncho! This year I was considering getting a waterproof bonnet, :princess: but I don't want to look silly in the ride photos! I do need something that would fit in a small bag- preferably a fanny pack and I have very long hair.
I have the goofy-pirate hat and I was thinking of doing some kind of waterproof lining in that and tucking my hair in this year.What creative hair-style-saving ideas do my fellow Intercoteers do out there?

princessgirls
06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
No tips here. I do less with my hair in WDW because it always looks a mess....seriously!! Rides, water, sweat. It's a endless battle. No, I'm not looking too salon fresh...LOL!

My hair is longer than it has been in a long time, it just comes to my shoulders, but makes for an easy ponytail. My girls have a little bit longer hair, and they are the queens of the messy bun, which looks nice and it's fun!

Good Luck!!!

Julie

disneymom15
06-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Honestly, that's the one main reason I don't ride the water rides. I hate it when my hair looks awful.

Patricia
06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I gave up trying to have nice hair in Florida years ago. Although I could keep it dry, the humidity is impossible to hide from.

I have long, curly, frizzy hair that gets big in the humidity. I start out with it fairly tame in the morning as I also leave it down, but...
when visiting a Disney Park, I give it up and let the hair fall where it may. Water rides, humidity, even rides like Test Track and Rock n Roller Coaster :fan:, perhaps a little rain and it's usually over in the first hour. :blush:

There is no keeping it sane. It's just bad hair that keeps getting worse as the day goes on.

I suggest you find a relaxed style you can leave to dry naturally with some gel or smoothing cream. Carry a small amount of your chosen hair product and reapply during the day if you do get wet. If your hair is long enough, a relaxed side braid is an easy fix and will look like you meant it to be messy. Carry some pins to keep in the short pieces if you have layers. I understand, it can be difficult to let go of the control, but after a few days you get better with it.

In my observation, most ponchos don't help as the water always gets in. I was on Kali River with a lady who was trying to keep her hair dry wearing a poncho and wouldn't you know she was the one who got the wettest. When that water came over her head, it knocked her poncho right off.

DisneyGirl85
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I am in the same situation as you....my hair is long, thick, "beach" curly and will frizz. I am going to be there in 12 days!!...I always get my hair thinned out right before I go and this time I took a pricier approach and got the Brazilian keratin treatment which is supposed to eliminate frizz (not just for Disney, for the whole summer, its supposed to last up to 6 months)....I got it done last week and now of course it hasn't been humid at all (I live in MD, it usually always is)...so I'm still waiting to see if it worked....
On previous trips, If I took the time to straighten my hair then I wore a poncho on the rides (other than Kali River, I've never had a problem staying dry). Otherwise, I just let the curls come out and don't care about it getting wet (which my family likes better because it only takes me 5 minutes to get ready). I try to plan on how I will do my hair ahead of time based on what park I am going to or will go on the wet rides at the end of the day so I still look nice for pictures.
No matter what I always carry a hair tie or two and a wide stretch hair band just in case. I also buy small umbrellas at the dollar store (literally only $1) so if I don't feel like carrying it anymore after it rains then I just throw it or give it away. Good luck!

BrerGnat
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Beyond a shower cap, nothing will help.

I agree with the others...just let it be and who cares what it looks like! NO ONE looks amazing in the on ride photos anyway. That's part of their charm. :D

The best thing you can do before a trip to WDW if you have thick, frizzy hair is to visit your stylist and request them to "thin it out". This is what I do or else my hair would be HUGE!

Nevermind the water rides, just sweating will mess up your hair when it's hot enough out. Hats only make that worse.

princessgirls
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I will admit, that when I look back at pictures, I'm not horrified at my hair...:thumbsup: so if you resign yourself to it having a "vacation" look it's all good!!!

Thin it out before you go, and smile...The smile is what really stands out in any picture!!

wildernesslady
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
My hair is defitely different in Disney. It must be the water.

alaMode
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
This post made me LOL! I feel the same way about water rides for the very same reason! My only defense is to bring a comb, so I can "arrange" my 'do once the damage has been done! I do tend to stay out of photos once my hair has gotten wet.

kakn7294
06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I always wear my hair up but I have bangs and the water will make them look stringy and awful. I hate it. Plus my head burns (hair is thin) so I wear a baseball hat - also not good for the bangs. I gave up trying to look good and just try to not look stupid.

Kairi_7378
06-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I have waist-length straight hair. I either French braid my hair or wear a hat when I am in an amusement park. I do carry a small comb and try to fix my bangs for the Photopass pictures, though.

DisneyMom12
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Honestly, that's the one main reason I don't ride the water rides. I hate it when my hair looks awful.

Same here.

Tink#64
06-15-2011, 01:34 AM
LOL! I thought I was all alone on this one! A couple of years ago, the first ride we did one morning was Splsh Mtn, & we got DRENCHED! I kept thinking, I wasted my time fixing my hair! I had to go buy a hat so as not to look like a train wreck for the rest of the day!

Last year I decided I wasn't going to fix my hair at all! Besides arrival day - DTD pics, every other day I wore a hat! Oh my gosh! What a time saver! I pulled up a pony tail every day, chose a hat, several WDW, one to choose from & away we went! It was very liberating for me! A couple of rides I hung onto my hat for fear of losing it & being seen with hat hair, but never the less, I loved it. I'm not really a hat person, but in WDW, don a Disney hat & go! That's what I'm planning again this year, we arrive in WDW in 10 days! :woohoo: And I'll be a hat wearing fool! :blush:

mouseketeer mom
06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
As another poster did, I got the Brazilian Keratin treatment and it has been amazing. Our last Florida trip was the very first time I looked decent in Florida. Its pricey, but its worth every penny. My hair is naturally frizzy and very, very big. Its got its own zip code, its so big!! But not anymore, the Brazilian Blowout is amazing!!! Its still got a wave, but no frizz, and drying time is cut in half,and its easy to smooth. Wonderful

princessjojo
06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I have to laugh just a little because any other time of the year, I'm just the same way, but when the summer hits, it's pony tails, ball caps and visors. The caps and visors serve dual purposes, to keep the hair hid and to keep sun off of my face some. My hair is just past shoulder length and becomes a mess with the humidity. If you're looking for a short term fix, there are some "brazillian type" treatments you can buy at your local retailer, I can think of Loreal and Organix, that you can do at home. The key to them is the sulfate-free shampoos. I've tried them and they seem to work fine, not quite like the salon treatments, but enough to get by with. I also have a fake hair scrunchie that I pull my hair into and it looks great. If you get a good color match, you can't tell, it just looks like a messy bun style.

Other than that, with the heat, sweat, humidity, and rain, coupled with the water rides, I find it a waste of time for me. If you're not sure about the investment though, I'd try the home treatments. The worst part is not washing your hair for a day or two, but that's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!!

diz_girl
06-15-2011, 11:15 AM
While I still try to look nice while on vacation, I tend to give up on the hair. So it's a ponytail if my hair is long enough, but I prefer a wide brimmed straw hat. It looks good and looks like I made an effort, even when I probably didn't.

Just remember, nobody else knows what you think your hair should look like, so they couldn't give a hoot about it, if they thought about it at all.

LisaP
06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
OMG I love love love this post! Made me want to reach my arms around and hug my laptop! LOL! I knew I didn't suffer alone :blush:

I got the Brazilian keratin treatment a few weeks before my Disney trip - which gave me enough time to get used to styling it. Yes, a bit pricey ($250-$300) but with the promise that it lasts 12 weeks I wanted to try it at least once ... what better time than before Disney :mickey:

Cut my hair time down by more than half! If this is not an option, try the home version of this treatment by John Frieda's Frizz Ease 3 Day Straight. It's about $10 bucks a bottle and it's flying off the shelves!