PDA

View Full Version : More details later, here's a quick overview of trip 6/4 to 6/12

Aurora
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Back from a weeklong trip, driving from Chicago both ways. I'll post a more detailed report, but here is a quick overview:

Four days total driving (two days each way), five days in Orlando. One day at Universal, three days at Disney theme parks. Hope not to drive next time; just takes up too many days.

All parks were very crowded. Wait times were uniformly higher for this time of year than the historical numbers reported by Unofficial Guide.

LOTS AND LOTS of families with mobile small and older school-age children. Even saw VERY small children walking on their own without a stroller. Did not see many large groups -- only a couple Brazilian groups. There were people with strollers and on scooters but fewer than we've encountered in the past. Vast majority of crowds made up of families.

For the first time ever, we avoided parks with extra magic hours in the morning as suggested by Unofficial Guide. Bad idea. Got to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios on two different non-EMH days before official opening and they were mobbed. On next trip will go back to morning EMH days.

Crowds were so large that MK opened at 8 a.m. on Friday without an EMH, but Disney didn't post this on Internet before trip. Was posted on park hours handout at resorts. Because of this, it had the effect of an EMH since not many people knew about it and the parks were nearly empty for that first hour, then the crowds descended.

Disney Marketplace was so crowded on Saturday evening that, according to sister and her family, moving around was difficult. Actually what sis said was "you couldn't move."

Other than crowds, we had a good time. We were prepared to deal with the heat and long days, and we swam at the resort pools nearly every day. Midday breaks were easy because of long open hours at the parks. My 15-year-old DD and I stayed late at MK on Friday night for EMH and pooped out at about 2 a.m. Watched fireworks from top of Bay Lake Tower, which was amazing.

More soon...

KylesMom
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I hear you about the driving. I'd love to save the expense of air fare & car rental, but we've found that the driving time simply cuts into our actual vacation time too much. Too bad the drive isn't 120 miles instead of 1,200, huh!

Another report of fairly massive crowds - wow.
For the first time ever, we avoided parks with extra magic hours in the morning as suggested by Unofficial Guide. Bad idea. Got to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios on two different non-EMH days before official opening and they were mobbed. On next trip will go back to morning EMH days. Thanks for the advice - we'll continue attending morning EMH, especially at MK and DHS this trip!

I'm glad to hear, despite the crowds, that you had a great time. Love your evening EMH escapade with DD. Looking forward to more details!

Ramblingman
06-13-2011, 04:54 PM
We were there for 6 days beginning on 20 May and the crowds were not bad at all, even with Star Wars Weekend.

Strange how a couple of weeks can change things.

Glad you had a good trip. Looking forward to reading more about it. I am still posting the report on mine.

faline
06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
From all reports, it seems like the crowds are really up this year regardless of time of year. Thanks for the report!

wildernesslady
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Thats a shame the crowds were so big. We have found Downtown to be the busiest on a Saturday night. We try our hardest to avoid it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the report

January-2007
06-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for reporting.

pdrlkr
06-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: