PDA

View Full Version : Prices

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyone else think things are starting to get really expensive?

I just priced out a trip (rack rate) for 2 adults and 1 child (under 2) for All Star Sports, 7 day park hopper, 7 nights, and dinning plan for Sept 2012.

It's $2,100.00.

We went on our honeymoon in July 2008 and stayed at POFQ for 7nights, 7 days with park hopper, and had the dinning plan for about $2,200.00

Keep in mind that Sept. is value season and its typically cheaper and children under 2 are free.

So in the 4 years from 2008 to 2012 a value resort cost about as much as a moderate did.

Something has got to give, hopefully this means there will be more discounts, but i doubt it.

wildernesslady
06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
As long as the bookings are there, I think prices will continue to rise. Remember, Disney is a business first. There seem to have been small increases in pricing over time that would not be deal breakers for most.

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
We've got a lot in the past 2-3 years, we are going to have to curve that if prices keep going up. It's just getting too expensive.

It's starting to loose the value to us.

sanaj2000
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
only 2100 dollars?
i priced it out and it was almost four thousand.
what filters did you use?

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 11:10 AM
only 2100 dollars?
i priced it out and it was almost four thousand.
what filters did you use?

For All Star Sports i did Sept 15th-22nd 2012
Standard Room
2 Adults
1 Child (Infant)
7 Day Park Hoppers
Dinning Plan

All of that was 2100, id be interested to know what filters you selected to get to 4k at a value.

Dulcee
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
if you break that down by the 2 people your technically paying for it works out to about $150 per person per day.

While I agree I hate the fact that Disney prices are soaring when you compare that figure to a many cruise rates its fairly comparable, maybe higher then Budget trips but right on there with midrange/luxury...same if you price out some other "all inclusive" resorts.

Is it worth it? I think it is. We never have vacations where we have as much to do as we do at WDW. When we do our other trips (beaches, other state trips...)we spend a comparable amount and "do" a whole lot less.

That's just my two cents..

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
if you break that down by the 2 people your technically paying for it works out to about $150 per person per day.

While I agree I hate the fact that Disney prices are soaring when you compare that figure to a many cruise rates its fairly comparable, maybe higher then Budget trips but right on there with midrange/luxury...same if you price out some other "all inclusive" resorts.

Is it worth it? I think it is. We never have vacations where we have as much to do as we do at WDW. When we do our other trips (beaches, other state trips...)we spend a comparable amount and "do" a whole lot less.

That's just my two cents..

This is exactly why we have been going to WDW, it doesnt make a lot of sense to go to the beach and pay the same and do less. I guess my annoyance is that it now cost about as much to stay at a Value resort as it did a Moderate just 3 years ago. To me thats a large increase in price in a short amount of time.

If prices do continue to go up, then quite honestly the beach is sounding more and more like a better choice for us.

Dulcee
06-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I guess my annoyance is that it now cost about as much to stay at a Value resort as it did a Moderate just 3 years ago.

On that I can completely agree with you...unless I hit the lottery I can only dream about seeing the inside of a poly standard room ever again.

JROriole8Fan
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I think you get what you pay for and that is always the case at WDW. I think their prices compared to others, for what you get are well within reason. And the crowds seem to indicate that they are not priced too high.

MarkC
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
In fairness to Disney-- they are a business and have to answer to stockholders, including me.

Look at all prices. Have you bought a box of cereal, a fast food meal or a gallon of gas recently? They have increased percentage wise much more than a Disney vacation. Its a fact. Until enough people decide not to go, Disney will continue to increase prices. I continue to be thankful that I have the means to make trips to Disney while other people struggle to put food on the table. Yes, these trips are getting expensive but being on here helps to manage costs, etc.

PopPhan
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
There are two current discounts for that time frame -- A Room Only ($69/night at a Value) and "Magic, Memories, and You" which is a package deal with free QSDP and PhotoBook (not free) included in the package.

We just booked, last week on the "MM&Y" package for under $2,000 - DW and I, no kids (with yours being under 3, this would be the same pricing you would face.)

Yes, rack rates keep going up, but I would wager that less than 5% of those who book vacations at WDW actually pay full rack rate.

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
There are two current discounts for that time frame -- A Room Only ($69/night at a Value) and "Magic, Memories, and You" which is a package deal with free QSDP and PhotoBook (not free) included in the package.

We just booked, last week on the "MM&Y" package for under $2,000 - DW and I, no kids (with yours being under 3, this would be the same pricing you would face.)

Yes, rack rates keep going up, but I would wager that less than 5% of those who book vacations at WDW actually pay full rack rate.

Is that already out for 2012? I know its out for 2011, I am somewhat expecting that to be out for 2012 as well, I would just be surprised if its out this early.

PopPhan
06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Is that already out for 2012? I know its out for 2011, I am somewhat expecting that to be out for 2012 as well, I would just be surprised if its out this early.

I'm sorry...I misread that you were looking for Sept. 2012 pricing.

I would expect, however, that there will be some discounts for that time frame next year, unless, for some strange reason, the economy makes a sharp recovery both here and abroad.

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry...I misread that you were looking for Sept. 2012 pricing.

I would expect, however, that there will be some discounts for that time frame next year, unless, for some strange reason, the economy makes a sharp recovery both here and abroad.

Im hoping for the same deal thats out there now, it's a really good deal. However, disney has been cutting back on the deals this year, so I'm a little bit un-easy about it.

The free dinning option is a hell of a deal.

UCJen
06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
And the crowds seem to indicate that they are not priced too high.

Hmmmm...that couldn't be because of the aggressive discounting they're doing, could it? I think the crowds would be significantly lighter if Disney was not offering free dining or 40% room discounts.

I would love to see some sort of survey data asking guests what was their deciding factor in coming to WDW and how many of those guests would not have otherwise chosen to holiday at WDW had there not been some sort of special offer involved.

I think a lot of people only pounce when offered free dining, otherwise, they just don't go.

ChipNDale79
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Hmmmm...that couldn't be because of the aggressive discounting they're doing, could it? I think the crowds would be significantly lighter if Disney was not offering free dining or 40% room discounts.

I would love to see some sort of survey data asking guests what was their deciding factor in coming to WDW and how many of those guests would not have otherwise chosen to holiday at WDW had there not been some sort of special offer involved.

I think a lot of people only pounce when offered free dining, otherwise, they just don't go.

That will probably be the deciding factor for us, if we get free dinning or another discount thats worth it, then we are going. If we dont get a discount, we probably wont be going. I'll spend my money at the beach.

GBBT
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Last year,Dec.19th-27th:8 Nights,8 Day Hopper,POP $2228.66.. most Holiday Season, 2 Adults,1 tween...just got in for dates for free dining(19th-21st).This year Holiday Season,Dec.26th-Jan.2nd:7 nights,6 day Hopper(have 1 day hopper to use),Pop..2 adults,1 teen:2246.41...hopefully they add dining.Not much difference to us.We live at the beach and have no desire to put our feet in the water....and we don't want to go anywhere but Disney World.:cloud9:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
06-13-2011, 06:13 PM

With the free dining plan(s) that they have offered for the past year or two, I think the percentage paying rack rate is much much higher than 5%. We were down there last Nov/Dec paying rack rates because we got the free DDP by booking a rack rate moderate.

The first time we stayed on property, POFQ, was back in the 90's (I think it was still Dixie Landings not POR) and I think our value season rack rate was under $100 and with the AAA discount we got it for under 20% less.

I found some trip notes I had on a spreadsheet and in 2005 our room rate at CBR before discount (value season) was $119 and in 2007 again during value season we stayed at POR and the pre discount rate was $145. Novemer of 2010 we stayed again at POR at full rack rate and average rate was about $200 p/night. So in three years it appears rates went up about 40%.

It's also harder to compare now as Disney keeps tiering and adding new seasons and then pricing weekends different than weekdays.

I absolutely love staying on property. Unfortunately the Deluxe resorts are not in our budget, and now even a week at a moderate in value season can push $1500 at full rack rates. Off-site is looking more and more like a viable option for any future trip.

BrerGnat
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
With the free dining plan(s) that they have offered for the past year or two, I think the percentage paying rack rate is much much higher than 5%. We were down there last Nov/Dec paying rack rates because we got the free DDP by booking a rack rate moderate.

I think the poster meant "people who pay rack rate on an ENTIRE vacation package", i.e. NO discounts. I would venture to guess that not many people do that, OR a LOT of people do that, and that's why Disney can afford to offer discounts to fill in the empty bookings.

Getting "free dining" is still a discount. It's not a good one, but it's something.

Personally, I've been visiting WDW on my own for over 15 years. I've NEVER paid rack rate. I've gotten a significant room only or package discount every single time. Usually, somewhere around 40% off room only. I would NEVER pay rack rate, because I know better. Not everyone does though.

I think Disney's rack rates have always been ridiculous. Their pricing is way out of line in the industry for what their product is. They know this, and that's why they continue to offer these discounts to get people to come. The truth is, it doesn't matter what you want to charge, the "market value" of any good or service is the price people are WILLING to pay. Disney, although they won't publicly admit it, has been overpricing their resorts for years, and they KNOW that the market value of their properties is somewhere between 20-40% below their "rack rate".