PDA

View Full Version : I-95 @ Jacksonville

BigRedDad
06-13-2011, 08:06 AM
We are getting ready to drive out tomorrow night and get in Wednesday morning (@ Universal though). I just checked Google Maps and Map Quest for directions just so I have them. It appears that there has been a traffic pattern change through Jacksonville that I am not familiar with or never really paid attention too.

Because I will probably be going through this area in the dark, I am trying to be sure I have an idea of what to expect. One has directions to get off at exit 351B to take FL 228 and loop around to merge back onto I-95. The other has says take exit 352D. Not that it would matter which exit, I am just trying to be sure this is the natural pattern for I-95 there now.

Another option is to take I-295 and bypass Jacksonville all together.

Any one have any recommendations or advice?

btharvey
06-13-2011, 08:44 AM
I-295 is the safest ... it's a little longer (by about 10-15 minutes) than taking 9A, for example, but it's very clear and very safe. On 9A, you can get there quicker, but there are a couple of places that -- if you're not very watchful and you don't know the roads very well -- you might find yourself exiting by mistake.

I don't live in the area, but my mother lives in St. Augustine, so we're doing down from JAX all the time. If it's just me, I try 9A, but if it's "us," I'll take I-295.

steamboat willy
06-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Is this a temporary traffic pattern or will it still be in place at end September? :car:

BigRedDad
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I-295 is a bypass around Jacksonville. It is an extra 10 miles, but it bypasses the flow through downtown Jacksonville. I do know that it can sometimes be a mess if you hit it at the wrong time.

I was more curious to see if there were any issues. I have not driven it in about 3 years.