PDA

View Full Version : Feeling dumb explain baggage fees to me?

luvDaMouse
06-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Since I fly southwest all the time and if you read my previous post about the cost of the flights I am considering another airline. I can get a flight on us airways for 503.00 for 4 of us plus the cost of baggage. Now it says 25.00 for the first bag per person and 35.00 for the second bag, got it 100.00 for 4 of us. Now here is my question, is the second bag an additional 35$ on top of the 25$ ? For the first or is it an additional 10$ for the second bag? :confused: so my Dh and I could take 2 bags each and the girls would hav no bags and it would cost 70$ saving us 30$? :secret:
I have read it a couple of times and I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around this? :blush:
Please someone explain :)
Thanks!
Dana:mickey:

Madame Leona
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
It's $25 for the first bag and an additional $35 for the second bag for a total of $60 for two bags. Also remember that you pay the fees each way.

magicofdisney
06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
My husband has been flying weekly for quite a while now. He LOATHES checking luggage so he only does carry-ons. The whole family will be flying soon so this question helps me.

One trick I'm going to use is taking advantage of the 2 carry-ons per person, allowed. I'm hoping I'll only need to check one bag for the whole family, because of this.

DizneyRox
06-11-2011, 01:30 PM
You want to check a bag for each person $25 x 4 = $100. If you do 2 people with two bags, it would be $60 each or $120 in baggage fees.

As mentioned, it's each way, and airline check-in at the resort needs it pre-paid on your return trip, so make sure you get that done. They will require a receipt, or you're going to need to take your own bags.

I'd fly Southwest if they are anywhere near the other fare plus luggage fees. In your case, your different airline needs to be at least $200 less round trip (if you can manage with one bag each).

SBETigg
06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Also, overweight bags will require additional fees, so make sure not to overstuff. Each person gets one bag at $25 and the next for $35 as DizneyRox says. So four people, four bags- $100. But four people, six bags- $170 (four at $25, two at $35). It makes sense to carry on as much as possible, but there are regulations on size there as well. Just check the airline standards, stay within their guidelines, and you will be fine.

JenniferS.
06-11-2011, 04:02 PM
So what about the airlines that say 1st bag free? Is this per person or just 1 bag is free and you have to pay say for the other 3? Party that is flying is 7 people.

faline
06-11-2011, 05:47 PM
So what about the airlines that say 1st bag free? Is this per person or just 1 bag is free and you have to pay say for the other 3? Party that is flying is 7 people.

That's per person. For example, my husband and I recently flew Jet Blue - they offer the first bag free. We checked two bags and brought two carry-ons with us (one for each of us).

Although magicofdisney mentions that 2 carry-ons are allowed per person, that is not exactly true. Typically, airlines allows each passenger to bring ONE carry-on bag and ONE personal item - like a purse, camera bag, or laptop.

SBETigg
06-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Although magicofdisney mentions that 2 carry-ons are allowed per person, that is not exactly true. Typically, airlines allows each passenger to bring ONE carry-on bag and ONE personal item - like a purse, camera bag, or laptop.

This is true. They prefer carry-ons that fit beneath the seat vs overhead, and they do sometimes (often) ask passengers to check larger carry-ons at the gate. Carry on is a hassle for me. I generally prefer checking bags, even if I have to pay extra. My husband does a lot of business travel and prefers to carry on.

magicofdisney
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
You guys can't read my mind? ;) When I said 2 carry-ons I meant a true carry-on and a backpack. This is how my husband travels and I expect we'll do the same for our family trip. In my mind, if you carry it on the plane, it is a carry-on (backpack, purse, camera bag, etc.)

Ed
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I found a pretty good chart that shows most of the fees charged by the airlines (http://www.luggagepros.com/travel/baggage-fees.shtml); it was updated in January '11, and might not be totally accurate now, so always check the website of the airline you're considering for the most up-to-date info.

Magic Smiles
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
You guys can't read my mind? ;) When I said 2 carry-ons I meant a true carry-on and a backpack. This is how my husband travels and I expect we'll do the same for our family trip. In my mind, if you carry it on the plane, it is a carry-on (backpack, purse, camera bag, etc.)
Your backpack would be considered your carry on. As previously mentioned the 2nd carry on is a small purse, camera bag or laptop. There are also dimension and weight restrictions for the carry on. Some airlines do measure and weigh them so be prepared. We flew US Airways this last time and some people were told that they had to check what the passenger thought would be considered a carry on.

magicofdisney
06-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Your backpack would be considered your carry on. As previously mentioned the 2nd carry on is a small purse, camera bag or laptop. There are also dimension and weight restrictions for the carry on. Some airlines do measure and weigh them so be prepared. We flew US Airways this last time and some people were told that they had to check what the passenger thought would be considered a carry on.
Well, my husband flies every single week with US Airways, Delta or SW. He always has a backpack and carry-on piece.

magicofdisney
06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I found a pretty good chart that shows most of the fees charged by the airlines (http://www.luggagepros.com/travel/baggage-fees.shtml); it was updated in January '11, and might not be totally accurate now, so always check the website of the airline you're considering for the most up-to-date info.
Thanks for that info. My husband has gold status so our checked luggage is free, but we still must abide by the weight limits. I wasn't sure what those were until now. :)

Narawen
06-12-2011, 08:14 PM

As long as one of the bags fits under the seat in front of you, there aren't usually restrictions. When I fly I generally take one rolling carry on and a laptop bag or toiletry/duffle bag (big enough to fit all toiletries, flat iron, 1-2 changes of clothes) that is pretty substantial in size. I've never had anyone say anything to me, even on packed flights, because the duffle fits under the seat in front of me. Backpacks can qualify as long as they fit the dimension and weight reqs and fit under the seat.

ThanxForNoticin
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm just really glad the airlines didn't follow Spirit Airlines ridiculous policy of also charging for carry-on bags. It's bad enough most of them charge for checked bags.

Any chance we get, we fly Southwest or JetBlue because they don't try to milk you with those extra fees under the guise of paying for bags that they know most people will have with them for their travels.