PDA

View Full Version : Universal Long Memorial Day Weekend - Day 3

MizMissy
06-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Sunday, May 29th (I mistakenly listed yesterday as the 27th, but it was Saturday, May 28th)

Plans today: another early entry to Harry Potter World and the “shows” at US with an afternoon of pool time.

Third day at the parks, no protests from the crew so far (well, DH was a bit cranky, but we can ignore him). DD, DS and I met part of our group at the entrance to IOA at 7:45 a.m. DH rested an extra bit this morning and planned to meet us at US for park opening at 9. Once again, they had started letting people in the parks way before opening. We were further back in the line, but still made it to Harry Potter World with the masses. The kids rode Forbidden Journey – no thanks for me this time. Afterwards, my kids and several members of the group went to Dueling Dragons … no thanks again for me, a bit too early in the morning. I stopped and purchased a frozen butterbeer from a cart (only about 5 or 6 people in line, the least crowded I’ve seen thus far) and met the others at the Dueling Dragons exit. The butterbeer was super sweet! My DS (not a picky eater) was not a big fan, but my DD (who is my picky eater) surprisingly loved it. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but Harry Potter World was really, really well done. The themeing is nothing short of excellent. The only problem (and I think everyone is well award of the problem) is they made it too small. So many people in crammed into the area and in the shops. The line for Olivander’s Wands in the early morning can be longer than Forbidden Journey. After Dueling Dragons, we headed out of the park (once again, quickly walking through Suessland but not stopping) to meet the rest of the group (including DH) at US for park opening.

At US at 8:45 a.m. and the gates were already open. Once again, Rip Ride Rock It was the first ride on the agenda. Thankfully, it was running this morning. The kids rode it 3-4 times – posted wait time was only 10 minutes. We went to Shrek 4D next. Even with express pass, if you do not time the entrance well, you will have to wait outside for a while (yes, yes, I know, we were so spoiled complaining about a 15 minute wait). The pre-show was okay, a little long, but everyone really enjoyed the show. The screen effects did not seem as great as Philharmagic but the show was really good. Continuing down Main Street, our next stop was Twister. This was a good show, however, our trip occurred right after the terrible tornados in Alabama and Missouri and thoughts of those affected by those tragedies were at the forefront. Our next stop was the required multiple rides on Mummy – this really is another good ride. While waiting outside of Mummy, we caught part of the Blues Brothers show. There were also cool stilt walkers in the area that interacted with the crowds while staying in character. Fun stuff.

It was about 11 a.m. (maybe a bit earlier) and everyone was starving. We ate at a little counter service pizza place right down from Mummy. DD had pizza, DS and BFF’s DS both had spaghetti and meatballs. The adults all had pizza and side salads. Others in the group had headed to different attractions. The place also served gelato that was an excellent treat after our lunch. The entire group met up at Disaster! … that was really a lot of fun. The “assistant to the director” was a super funny guy and made the whole show a great experience. Afterwards, the kids rode Men in Black and then we were ready to head out for some pool time. Our plan was to spend the afternoon at the pool.

Back at the HRH, we spent the entire afternoon at the pool. What a wonderful afternoon. Hanging out with friends, enjoying the beautiful (and hot) weather. The pool has a small stage area and a DJ set up. There was one guy who directed the activities. He was really funny. They had dance contests and hoola-hoop contests and several other activities for the kids going on all afternoon. DH was ready to head off property for dinner. My kids love Japanese hibachi so we wanted to find a place. Most of our group looked like they were not leaving the pool anytime soon. DH, DD, DS and I went to dinner around 6. The kids really wanted to ride Rip Ride Rock It one more time that evening. But, dinner was taking a while and it looked doubtful we would make it back. After dinner, I was so full, I was absolutely miserable. I really did not feel like heading back to the parks. However, my DD was determined and I had promised her. I think she really thought the others were going to get to ride and she would be the only one missing it. Turns out, a big part of the group went to Bubba Gump Shrimp for dinner, but their dinner was taking longer than they expected, so they did not make it to US that evening. Well, even though I was miserable, I had promised my kids we would go. We left the hotel at 8:15 and the park closed at 9. DH said “absolutely not” and stayed at the hotel. When we arrived at US, the ride posted a 40 minute wait. I asked the kids if they really wanted to stand in that long of a line … I think our longest wait at this point was 15 minutes. They did. I stood in line with them even though I had no intention to ride because I was still so miserably full from dinner. However, after 40 minutes in line … I felt better, but decided to stick with my first instincts and not ride. The kids asked if they could ride in front and they waited for an extra turn for that privilege. Actually, by taking the “chicken exit,” I was able to get a cool picture of them on the ride from above. After their ride, the park was closed and it was definitely time to head back to the hotel. Another great day!! I truly love vacation. Sadly, tomorrow is our last day in the parks.

MizMissy
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
As I am completing my trip reports, I realized that I rode FJ on that Sunday morning. I know I rode the ride twice because I really wanted to see the Castle again. I recall that I stood in line with BFF, but not DH, so I thought it must have been when we returned on Monday. However, thinking back, it must have been on Sunday morning instead because at that point, I was uncertain if we would make another early entry and thought it would be my last opportunity to experience the ride. The line was a little longer than the first time so we were able to see more of the outside section of the Castle and look more closely at the pictures inside. I do remember that there were several important effects not working in the line this time around and thinking I would have been disappointed if that would have been my only ride. For the second ride, I had a little better idea of what was coming and knew when to close my eyes in the flying parts, but open them at other parts to be able to see the effects. This ride really is amazing ... I only wish I did not experience motion sickness in simulators and could enjoy the entire experience.

NJGIRL
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
We went to Shrek 4D next. The pre-show was okay, a little long, but everyone really enjoyed the show. The screen effects did not seem as great as Philharmagic but the show was really good.

I was with you until this part. I like Philharmagic but think Shrek is a better show with better effects. I do agree about timing with this attraction.

MizMissy
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Shrek was a better show overall (and while the pre-show was a little long, at least they gave you some type of pre-show instead of just making you stand inside a theatre waiting around), but it seemed like the 3D effects of the film weren't as good as Philharmagic. Maybe it was just more action packed, but what I love most about Philharmagic is watching all the kids around me grabbing at the screen and reacting to the things popping out of the screen.

NJGIRL
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I do enjoy both shows also.:thumbsup:

I know I read it in one of your posts and I have to say I agree with your friend. The Hollywood Makeup Horror Show is great. On your next visit be sure to check it out.