PDA

View Full Version : Price Increase June 12th

AgentC
06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Not sure if this should go here or in theme parts, but Disney just announced on Twitter that prices are increasing on June 12th.

There is an article on the Disney blog.

WDWfanatic742
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Price Increase Post (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/disney-parks-ticketing-update/)

New Prices (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/magic-your-way-facts-on-walt-disney-world-prices/)

Looks like about a three dollar increase per day across the board for all MYW tickets, with a dollar increase for Park Hopper and the Water Park & Fun add-on's...

Tekneek
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
This is happening a couple of months earlier than usual, isn't it?

Melanie
06-10-2011, 05:31 PM
This is happening a couple of months earlier than usual, isn't it?

Yeah, typically it's a fall thing I thought.

Ed
06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Here's the info from the Orlando Sentinel ~~

Disney raising ticket prices for second time in less than a year

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
June 11, 2011

Walt Disney World announced Friday that it is raising ticket prices — by more than 10 percent in at least one case — in the resort's second round of price increases in less than a year.

Effective Sunday, the base price of a one-day ticket will rise from $82 to $85 before tax, an increase of 3.7 percent.

Prices will rise more steeply on longer-term passes. The price of a five-day ticket — one of Disney World's best-selling ticket options — will jump 5.9 percent, from $237 to $251.

The price of a seven-day pass will jump 8.1 percent to $267. A 10-day pass will soar 11.1 percent to $291.

In addition, the price of adding a "park hopper" feature to a pass — allowing visits to multiple Disney theme parks in a single day — will inch up from $54 to $55 for all multi-day ticket options. The feature will cost an extra $35 for a single-day ticket.

Annual-pass prices will rise between 2 percent and 3.9 percent, depending on the type of pass.

The increases come three weeks after Disney World opened a revamped version of its popular Star Tours ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is the only major attraction the resort is adding in 2011.

Prices will also rise at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

A Disney spokesman defended the price increases, which come as the resort continues trying to wean travelers off the steep discounts it used to keep its parks full during the recession. Disney last raised ticket prices in August 2010, when for the first time it boosted the price of a base ticket above $80.

"Our research tells us that nearly all of our guests agree that a Disney theme-park experience is a strong value," spokesman Bryan Malenius said.

Other theme-park operators are also trying to reduce their use of discounts, despite a still-soft economy. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment recently stopped selling popular "Fun Cards" — which allowed visitors to SeaWorld Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa Bay to buy a one-day ticket and keep coming back for the rest of the year — in hopes of steering customers into pricier annual passes.

Disney's move could trigger a round of price increases at SeaWorld and Universal Orlando, as the parks have historically raised prices in concert. A spokesman for SeaWorld Orlando said Friday the park had no plans to raise prices at this time. A spokeswoman for Universal Orlando said the resort doesn't discuss pricing strategy.

A full list of Disney ticket-price increases:

•1-day: $82 to $85 (+3.7 percent)

•2-day: $162 to $168 (+3.7 percent)

•3-day: $224 to 232 (+3.6 percent)

•4-day: $232 to $243 (+4.7 percent)

•5-day: $237 to $251 (+5.9 percent)

•6-day: $242 to 259 (+7 percent)

•7-day: $247 to 267 (+8.1 percent)

•10-day: $262 to $291 (+11.1 percent)

•"Park hopper" or water-park admission added to a multi-day pass: $54 to $55 (+1.9 percent)

Annual-pass price increases:

•Premium (incl. water parks, etc.), non-resident: $629 to $649 (+3.2%)

•Regular, non-resident: $499 to $519 (+4%)

•Premium, Florida resident: $499 to $509 (+2%)

•Regular, Florida resident: $379 to $389 (+2.6%)

•Seasonal, Florida resident: $259 to $269 (+3.9%)
~~~~~~~~~~~

:(

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
And Disney wonders why people call them greedy???

DizneyRox
06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!

As everyone scurries to get in under the wire. Nice Friday dump and run. Up to 11% just in time for the summer rush. Brilliant!

I can't even imagine $85 for a day. That's ever so slightly less than a lot of cruise deals I see (per day), and that includes, accommodations and food...

PopPhan
06-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Forgive me, but I just don't see the logic -- 'We want to wean visitors off the big discounts...So, we are going to raise ticket prices!!'

The economy is still in the toilet...Gas/airfare is NOT cheap...

Just hold the line on prices and cut the number/types of discounts, otherwise they will need to add even MORE discounts to fill rooms...

But, what do I know?!?!?!?!

Tekneek
06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Broken record here, but this is the stuff that makes it easier to NOT go back to WDW. We made a promise to one of our daughters to go back in 2013, but we have given no consideration to a further visit beyond that trip. In fact, my wife and I have been planning it as if it is going to be our last one. Maybe they will continue to find guests to keep things afloat, but I have no problem being on the outside looking in.

Tink#64
06-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow! So ok, I was going to wait until we arrive in 2 weeks to purchase our tickets at checkin, prior to this, no reason to pay in advance, now I know I need to call WDW tomorrow & go ahead & purchase the 7 day hoppers for all of us! The difference wouldn't break the bank, but we could spend that $84.00 difference on a nice dinner! Thanks to all for the info! :rocks:

princessgirls
06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!

As everyone scurries to get in under the wire. Nice Friday dump and run. Up to 11% just in time for the summer rush. Brilliant!

I can't even imagine $85 for a day. That's ever so slightly less than a lot of cruise deals I see (per day), and that includes, accommodations and food...

Rox...you are so funny and so right!!!!!
Great response!
Julie:mickey:

Tink#64
06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Boom goes the dynamite!

DisneyRox, I just caught that line & it cracked me up! Good one! We saw that episode on Tosh.O, I had to share your comment with my DS's - they both laughed! I love Intercot! :rocks:

epceddie
06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
My wife and I have already cut back on our visits to the park. When we use up our no-expiration tickets, we may never buy new ones. It's gotten to the point where we like to visit WDW for the resorts, the pool hopping (we're DVC members, the boat rides to and from Downtown Disney, and the great bars that can be found off-site on International Drive.
As a previous poster wrote - I have no problem being on the outside looking in when it comes to the parks.

DizneyRox
06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
DisneyRox, I just caught that line & it cracked me up! Good one! We saw that episode on Tosh.O, I had to share your comment with my DS's - they both laughed! I love Intercot! :rocks:
If just one person laughed, I've done my job. I'm good until Tuesday now. Thanks!

Well be flying into Orlando in just a few weeks on our way to the port. The summer is wide open for vacations and it would be no trouble to extend our stay a few days or weeks but we're not. It came up once while planning, but not since after we decided the value is gone (and we don't even need tickets this time as we're AP holders). This makes next year's planning a bit easier. We'll look at a bounceback on the ship.

Mickey'sGirl
06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks to this thread I called and coughed up the $1648 for 4 APs. Thank goodness for the $400 saved with our DVC membership!

brivers222
06-11-2011, 11:21 AM
So if we have a package booked through disney and prices raise... do they raise our price also?

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
So if we have a package booked through disney and prices raise... do they raise our price also?

Did you pay your deposit yet??? If so, you probably won't face the increase... if tickets were not part of your package, you probably will...

brivers222
06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Did you pay your deposit yet??? If so, you probably won't face the increase... if tickets were not part of your package, you probably will...

Yeah deposit paid on Dec 11th, 2010... just didn't pay in full yet so i was wondering if "they" could hit us for the rate because we aren't paid in full.

So from your reply, YAY we are free of increase!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah deposit paid on Dec 11th, 2010... just didn't pay in full yet so i was wondering if "they" could hit us for the rate because we aren't paid in full.

So from your reply, YAY we are free of increase!!

Don't quote me on that LOL... I would definately find out from Disney... But I believe you are not going to get zinged with the increase... Again, I could be wrong...

Dyanna
06-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Was goin to purchase our park tickets in another month or 2 since our trip isn't until late Oct so because of the price increase on Sunday I went ahead & bought them yesterday (Fri). Such is life.

UCJen
06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Broken record here, but this is the stuff that makes it easier to NOT go back to WDW. We made a promise to one of our daughters to go back in 2013, but we have given no consideration to a further visit beyond that trip. In fact, my wife and I have been planning it as if it is going to be our last one. Maybe they will continue to find guests to keep things afloat, but I have no problem being on the outside looking in.

I think we're just about there, this recent increase is just hastening the process.

I know they are expanding Fantasyland, but what about Epcot? They have an abandoned pavillion (WoL) and the Imagination Pavillion feels like they've stopped trying. Also, I've looked at EMH for the week we are going and there are fewer EMH hours this year than last. I'm just not seeing the value here anymore, especially when I see them dumping a lot of capital into DLR.

It saddens me, because WDW holds many happy childhood memories, but I think it's time to start thinking about letting go.

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, I just cut a day off our Disney plans in October... Instead of 5 days in Disney parks, we are doing 4...

alaMode
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I just bought 10-day no-expiration tix to cover our long weekend in Oct and our longer stay in June 2012. At least I'm covered for the next price increase (or two!)

brivers222
06-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Don't quote me on that LOL... I would definately find out from Disney... But I believe you are not going to get zinged with the increase... Again, I could be wrong...

Oh its already be brought to the bank lol crossing fingers that we aren't touched.

waymickey
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Calling today to make final payment on my trip in August will let you know if I get hit with incresae.

I agree with many posters that the price is n ow way out of hand. I love WDW but we will now make our trips every three years instead of every two. Maybe if they stopped giving away the dinning plan they could make money up without raises ticket prices.

Mammabruski
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow, it sure is a bummer that prices are going up again...

BUT as another comparison, let's look at lift tickets at some of Colorado's leading ski hills:

Steamboat (where I live):
One Day:$97
Season Pass: $1029

Vail
Season Pass:$649

Keystone
One Day:$92

Loveland (one of the cheapest hills)
One Day: $59
Season Pass:$359

Ok, that's enough for a comparison. Anyways, there are discounts for multiple days, like at WDW, and some of those season passes are good at multiple ski hills (not Steamboat). I personally think that you ski one hill, all other ones are pretty similar (at least here in CO). Granted I'm not a skiier, and I would far prefer to spend a day at WDW than a day on a cold scary ski hill. There are many families that their thing is skiing, and then there are us whose thing is Disney. I personally think a day at Disney has far more to offer than a day on a ski hill, and the prices at ski hills are a bit higher than Disney.

It stinks that prices are going up, but really it seems to be the case in these situations...

Dulcee
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow, it sure is a bummer that prices are going up again...

BUT as another comparison, let's look at lift tickets at some of Colorado's leading ski hills:

Steamboat (where I live):
Season Pass: $1029

Vail

Your post made me laugh...a few days ago my Fiance suggested skiing in vail next winter. When I looked up lift ticket prices I said he could keep his skiing, I'd rather spend that on disney...

Tekneek
06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure what the point of the comparison is.

I have never once thought of WDW as competing with ski resorts. Disney got close to that game, but it never actually happened.

Aurora
06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Buying 5-day park hoppers for my family of 5 is now nearly 20 percent more than the annual dues on our Vacation Club membership (and that's with 300 points).

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Bay Lake Tower, but because of ticket prices, we only spent three days at the parks, which were very crowded even for the first full week in June. We bought 2-day tickets because one of our park days was left over from previous tickets, and we spent one day at Universal and another day at the hotel pools. We spent less money than ever on souvenirs, and we went back to our room about half the time to make our own meals to save money on food.

I just don't know how we're going to be able to keep vacationing at the parks. I'm looking at using DVC points for Hilton Head next time.

BluewaterBrad
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, I just cut a day off our Disney plans in October... Instead of 5 days in Disney parks, we are doing 4...

I feel for you. We are cutting a night off our usual "week" at the Food and Wine. I did get a great bounceback for the room though.:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Buying 5-day park hoppers for my family of 5 is now nearly 20 percent more than the annual dues on our Vacation Club membership (and that's with 300 points).

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Bay Lake Tower, but because of ticket prices, we only spent three days at the parks, which were very crowded even for the first full week in June. We bought 2-day tickets because one of our park days was left over from previous tickets, and we spent one day at Universal and another day at the hotel pools. We spent less money than ever on souvenirs, and we went back to our room about half the time to make our own meals to save money on food.

I just don't know how we're going to be able to keep vacationing at the parks. I'm looking at using DVC points for Hilton Head next time.

I said the same thing months ago. As Disney builds out DVC, I think they are going to find that members will actually just use the accomodations more for their vacation than the parks, etc.

Since we bought way back in 2001, I think we've spent less and less each trip. I'm finding that relaxing at the resort is actually a lot of fun, and making meals isn't all that bad. We stopped buying merchandise almost entirely, and we have groceries delivered from off-site, so we're not even spending money at the general stores.

I think I'm going to start looking at renting out my points and using the cash for trips elsewhere. Many people consider the cost of renting the points a bargain compared to the price of other Disney hotels, and it more than makes up for my dues.

The avg wage increase at my company was like 2.5% Much, much less than the prices of everything else going up, and I need gas in my car, food in my mouth, and a roof over my head before I need to spend the first dime on a trip to WDW.

Lisaj13
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I am so glad I paid for the tickets for our August trip a couple of weeks ago.

For myself and my two daughters (both classed as adults) I'm getting 9-day park-hoppers. So it adds up.

I will enjoy spending the money on something else.

seanyred
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I have never once thought of WDW as competing with ski resorts. Disney got close to that game, but it never actually happened.

Its a decent comparison. Skiing is a form of entertainment for some people just like WDW is entertainment. Tekneek is not saying its Disney is competing, but its a good example of how people are willing to spend money on stuff they enjoy. For instance I know people who spend way more on season tickets for the Chicago Cubs then I do on my Disney World trips. (plus Disney World is always fun, Cubs games not so much...this coming from a Cubs fan)

I do think ticket prices are increasing too rapidly but I take advantage of my DVC Annual pass discount and get two trips per Annual pass. When you figure it out I'm spending roughly $20 a day per person. So even though it ends up being a nice chunk of change I am willing to spend the money because this what like to do.

princessgirls
06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
It's not just Disney. It's all over, and if you just go for a day or two to these parks....the prices are a rip-off!!!!!!!!!

For example: My family of 4 2 adults 2 kids over 54" Myrtle Waves waterpark $140 for 8 hours

Camelbeach Waterpark $120

Hershey Park with a coupon is a deal at $145 IMO.

SeaWorld cost me $80 last year per person that's $320 to walk in the door for one day. Ouch....at least you get the 2nd day free there. Let me tell you that Sea World was so understaffed last summer that you loaded yourself on the rides. They had 2 to 3 people working the entire ride. Not as neat and clean either.
Was looking into Universal but that was going to run me $481 for a 2 day 1 park a day pass for all of us.
Basically folks...doing nothing is cheap!!! The prices are high everywhere. I love the parades, fireworks, and all the magic that goes into these parks. They are clean and well cared for. That all costs money. Just my two cents.

waymickey
06-14-2011, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=waymickey;2178920]Calling today to make final payment on my trip in August will let you know if I get hit with incresae. /QUOTE]

I called and was not hit with the increase yay!:thumbsup:
But this is our last trip for a long while. Boo! :(
I love love love disney but just can't afford it every year now.

Tekneek
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Its a decent comparison. Skiing is a form of entertainment for some people just like WDW is entertainment.

I suppose. Seemed very far from an apples-to-apples comparison, as I don't really think they are often competing for the same niche in the marketplace.

Ian
06-14-2011, 08:14 PM

I have never once thought of WDW as competing with ski resorts. Disney got close to that game, but it never actually happened.Really? I completely disagree. Disney provides entertainment and competes with every other form of entertainment there is ... skiing, cruising, movies, sports, concerts ... so while maybe it's not a direct comparison in terms of the experience or the audience they're certainly competing for some of the same dollars.

Look, you can mock me if you want but to me $84 for a day in Disney World is a steal. Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.

Disney is like 12 or 13 solid hours of guaranteed fun. And listen ... the reason they keep raising their prices is because the demand is there. Trust me. I just got back. The parks are jammed. They're doing what any good business should and raising prices to meet increased demand.

Christine
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
I think wdw is staying within the same margins of other park prices. When my sister came for a visit we went to sea world for one day. She paid $80 some odd dollars after tax etc.
Went to Disney, she also paid $80 some odd dollars and was happily surprised- she thought she was going to pay a lot more & she felt she got a lot more time & fun at Disney. Firework shows are expensive to put on! A cast ensemble as big as wdw costs big $$. I think they're fairly competitive. And Universal ain't cheap either! ;)

Tekneek
06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.

As I suspected, all of these people/businesses are jockeying for the pie that I am not in. I don't (and won't) pay that kind of money for concerts or sport events.

Disney is like 12 or 13 solid hours of guaranteed fun. And listen ... the reason they keep raising their prices is because the demand is there. Trust me. I just got back. The parks are jammed. They're doing what any good business should and raising prices to meet increased demand.

Hey, I hope it works out for them. I didn't say they couldn't do it. I'm saying it makes it easier for me to stay away. I don't even pay for TV (I settle for what I can get over-the-air for free, when I do watch TV at all). I am completely ok being outside of that frenzy.

Tink#64
06-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Really? I completely disagree. Disney provides entertainment and competes with every other form of entertainment there is ... skiing, cruising, movies, sports, concerts ... so while maybe it's not a direct comparison in terms of the experience or the audience they're certainly competing for some of the same dollars.

Look, you can mock me if you want but to me $84 for a day in Disney World is a steal. Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.

I concur! I wouldn't dream of paying those prices for entertainment in those arena's, but for all day fun with with my DH & DS's, completly immmmersed in the magical world of Disney - PRICELESS! I'll never forget youngest DS saying to older (bored) DS on a camping trip, "What do you think this is....Disney World" :cloud9: I'll gladly pay double what my local amusement park - minus all magic & detail at every level - charges for one day admission! Which btw, WDW tix get less expensive the longer you stay! So we stay as long as we can each visit! :mickey:

plutosnana
06-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Yikes. I can tell those prices are up! Not just tickets! What about FOOD!! who wants a 5.00 hamburger! Or a 2.00 coke! While at Mcdonald's check out the dollar menu! Wow, these vacations are changing not just with prices but with the budget!

Aurora
06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Really? I completely disagree. Disney provides entertainment and competes with every other form of entertainment there is ... skiing, cruising, movies, sports, concerts ... so while maybe it's not a direct comparison in terms of the experience or the audience they're certainly competing for some of the same dollars.

I agree with you about the entertainment value, but in real dollars, the problem is that I don't go to a Disney park for just one day, or take just me. If I'm going to a concert, I don't go every day in one week and bring my whole family, or travel 1,100 miles to get to the concert. And if I want, I can pay WAY cheaper prices for a ballgame or concert and still get to experience it with the people who paid lots more to sit just a little closer.

I get why Disney prices are what they are. And nobody's forcing me to go on a Disney vacation. I just wish there were ways to make the tickets cheaper (like not front-loading the cost of the first few days on the tickets). If I lived in Florida, I would have a lot of nice little options to still experience the park at a bargain (such as "after 4 p.m." passes). Again, I know why they do this; I just wish it were an option for me.

Look, many people I know are better off financially than we are and I consider myself lucky to be able to go on vacation as often as we do. It's just a bite to know you're being slowly priced out of the market for a place you love so much.

allirae
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Just a little extra info:
The ticket prices have not been raised in the stores yet. I don't know if it was a miss or what, but we were told yesterday that the price increase would be in our system "soon" and to stay tuned for details. The stores carry 3-7 day MYW tickets with the hopper/water parks/no expiration options. Just thought you'd all like to know.

allirae
06-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Disney Stores, Disney Store Outlets, and Imagination Park Stores that is. :)

allirae
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
The ticket prices went up at the stores today.

princessgirls
06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I completely agree...I have to say...I happened to see my husband's ticket stub from a recent Yankee Game lying around...$265. YEP...One game, yes it was club seating with food, but he was ONLY there for a few hours. A concert that lasts 2 hours if you are lucky is $100 a ticket.
A good solid 12-13 hours of fun! My family can close a park. I do get my money's worth!

Polynesian Dweller
06-20-2011, 06:35 PM
I would like to invite all those who trashed Disney for raising it's prices to return to comment on Universal raising it's prices by as much as 14% today. The one day Universal price is now the same as Disney's $85 and the three day went to $159 from $139. So the question is, does this make Universal as greedy as Disney or is Disney the only greedy company?

UCJen
06-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I would like to invite all those who trashed Disney for raising it's prices to return to comment on Universal raising it's prices by as much as 14% today. The one day Universal price is now the same as Disney's $85 and the three day went to $159 from $139. So the question is, does this make Universal as greedy as Disney or is Disney the only greedy company?

Ok, Sure!

Honestly, I don't care what Universal charges. They could charge $100/day for all I care. Why? Because I have no interest in going there. I'm not going to show indignation about things in which I have no interest.

I understand these are businesses and not philanthropic organizations and it seems for the time being, these prices are fairly inelastic.

I have already clearly enumerated in this thread why I am seeing diminishing value in a trip to Disney, all of which I feel are highly valid.

I have no problem paying top whack for a premium product, but quality at WDW has been sliding for a long time and I am getting tired of admiring the emperor's new clothes.

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2011, 12:44 AM

Not going to defend Universal as I started a thread calling it monkey see, monkey do... However, if you buy your Universal tickets online, you now get a $20.00 discount instead of $10.00, which means that three day $159 ticket is still $139.00. Oh, and they did NOT raise prices on annual passes.... Something Disney would NEVER EVER consider doing...

So, while Universal is being greedy, they aren't being AS GREEDY as Disney is...

DizneyRox
06-21-2011, 07:52 AM
It's been a number of years since I've been to Universal, so I'm a little off on what to expect. However, I maintain that IOA is THE best themed park in Central Florida. Hulk is one of the best coasters, SpiderMan I think still takes the cake on best ride. And from what I can remember, they are constantly upgrading, building.

Disney on the other hand seems to be constantly taking away. Although, the Fantasyland Expansion is nice, it's a few years late and can be thought of as reactionary to Harry Potter Land.

$85 a ticket anywhere though is a tough sell for me.

You can compare it all you want to other entertainment options, but a lot of those don't impact me either. I'm not interested in paying $100+ for a ball game, I'm not interested in 90+ for skiing. Heck, I won't even pay $12.50 for a movie, I just don't think it's worth it.

There will be a point where a choice will be made on what to do with my entertainment dollar, and I don't mind walking away. I'm pretty spiteful that way. Disney is quickly approaching that threshold. Universal might be there as well, but I need to see for myself, which might come sooner than later. I think our next trip to Central Florida will be a Universal/Sea World type trip.

And to clarify, it's NOT about greed, it's about value. As mentioned, I don't mind spending money, in fact I enjoy it, that's why I make it. But you need to earn it, I don't enjoy being turned upside down and shaken until the last nickel hits the ground and spins to a stop.

Ian
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
For the purposes of my response I was focused solely on comparing Disney to others competing in their space.

If you want to talk about today's Disney competing against the Disney of 20 years ago, that's a different topic entirely IMO.

Scar
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
To quote Gordon Gekko... "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good".

Honestly, the fact that Disney raised is prices a couple of bucks won't affect (or is it effect :confused:) my decision to go one bit. There are way too many other factors to weigh than to worry about three dollars a day.

Now that being said, it's probably not the best PR move in this economy.

And put me in the “couldn’t care less about Universal” camp. It could be free and I might still not go.

BrerGnat
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I think all one needs to do is spend a day at ANY other "theme" park to realize that Disney is STILL a fabulous value for the money.

I live in Southern California, and am surrounded by theme/amusement parks: Six Flags, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Legoland, Sea World, etc. I've visited all of these over the years, and although I've been able to experience MOST of them either free or significantly discounted (through military promotions), when you look at the "real world" price of these other places, and you see what you get, Disneyland comes out looking downright CHEAP in comparison.

As an example, a one day ticket into Legoland (including the new water park and aquarium) is $89! Parking is $12. Don't even get me started on the food...a counter service lunch of mediocre burgers will put you back in the neighborhood of $60 for a family of 4. And, they do NOT let you bring in any food to the park! Now, Legoland is nice. I actually like it a lot, and my kids love it, but they just do NOT have their act together in the areas of crowd control/management, customer service, and cleanliness compared to Disney. Spending a day there makes you realize that the Disney company really does know what they are doing, and it's hard to feel like they are "lacking" in any way after spending a day at a competing park. I use Legoland as the most direct competitor to Disney because, of ALL the amusement/theme parks out there, I think Legoland is probably #2 after Disney. My experiences at Universal, Sea World, and Knott's were just so disappointing and the experience is not even remotely close to that of visiting a Disney theme park. It's not a fair comparison, although, money wise, it's pretty close.

I guess my point is, yeah, Disney is expensive, but so is EVERYWHERE ELSE that provides entertainment for dollars. Disney will continue to get my money, because the other places haven't impressed me enough to return to them over and over again.

Dulcee
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Now, Legoland is nice. I actually like it a lot, and my kids love it, but they just do NOT have their act together in the areas of crowd control/management, customer service, and cleanliness compared to Disney. Spending a day there makes you realize that the Disney company really does know what they are doing, and it's hard to feel like they are "lacking" in any way after spending a day at a competing park.

We find this same problem with Six Flags and Busch Gardens. Cleanliness is a big enough issue that my parents actually won't go to these parks anymore because of how low of a standard they seem to keep.

DizneyRox
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
If you want to talk about today's Disney competing against the Disney of 20 years ago, that's a different topic entirely IMO.
See, I don't think it is a different topic... That IS my comparison. I get that prices go up, each year I get more money, etc. There's a significant difference in what I was making in the early days at Disney than now. There's probably 2-3 times more discretionary income now than there was in 1999. But I went like 5 times between 1999 and 2000, it was an outstanding value back then.

In 2001 we dropped over $30K on a Disney Wedding, because frankly it was a good value! We would have gotten nothing even remotely close to what we got at Disney for what we spent. 10 years later, we're spending our anniversary on a cruise.

Soon it'll be one year since I set foot in a park, and I don't have any plans on my calendar (with DVC I can and usually do plan 11 months out).

Why is that?

seanyred
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
See, I don't think it is a different topic... That IS my comparison. I get that prices go up, each year I get more money, etc. There's a significant difference in what I was making in the early days at Disney than now. There's probably 2-3 times more discretionary income now than there was in 1999. But I went like 5 times between 1999 and 2000, it was an outstanding value back then.

In 2001 we dropped over $30K on a Disney Wedding, because frankly it was a good value! We would have gotten nothing even remotely close to what we got at Disney for what we spent. 10 years later, we're spending our anniversary on a cruise.

Soon it'll be one year since I set foot in a park, and I don't have any plans on my calendar (with DVC I can and usually do plan 11 months out).

Why is that?

Because you have decided that your money is better spent elsewhere? While some of us still feel that even though its expensive the value is still there. I don't think either answer is "right" I just think it comes down to personal choice.

Also when comparing US vs WDW just looking at the parking doesn't WDW have more overhead than US? Think about US is just a huge parking garage like in any other major city, with very few staff and no transportation to the main gate (not that its needed because it is a short walk). Were WDW has numerous cast members and transportation in the parking lot alone. Not to mention all the other "free" transportation on the property (buses, boats, monorails and trams) So considering their prices are about the same I think WDW is still reasonable.

On a side note you also stated that you think IOA is the best themed park in the area? I respect your opinion but I don't get it. I've been there once (pre harry potter) and have never had an interest to go again (except now that harry potter is open). Its just not a very good amusement park. It has some really cool rides but the place as whole is not better than a Six Flags.

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Because you have decided that your money is better spent elsewhere? While some of us still feel that even though its expensive the value is still there. I don't think either answer is "right" I just think it comes down to personal choice.

Also when comparing US vs WDW just looking at the parking doesn't WDW have more overhead than US? Think about US is just a huge parking garage like in any other major city, with very few staff and no transportation to the main gate (not that its needed because it is a short walk). Were WDW has numerous cast members and transportation in the parking lot alone. Not to mention all the other "free" transportation on the property (buses, boats, monorails and trams) So considering their prices are about the same I think WDW is still reasonable.

On a side note you also stated that you think IOA is the best themed park in the area? I respect your opinion but I don't get it. I've been there once (pre harry potter) and have never had an interest to go again (except now that harry potter is open). Its just not a very good amusement park. It has some really cool rides but the place as whole is not better than a Six Flags.

IOA has been voted best theme park by several theme park industry insiders. And the place is A LOT better than Six Flags. Where Six Flags has little to no themes, IOA is full of immersive lands and themes. Marvel Superhero Island is more themed than any area in any Six Flags park.

seanyred
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
IOA has been voted best theme park by several theme park industry insiders. And the place is A LOT better than Six Flags. Where Six Flags has little to no themes, IOA is full of immersive lands and themes. Marvel Superhero Island is more themed than any area in any Six Flags park.

I'm wondering if they were voted best themed park before 2004. Which was the last time I stepped foot at IOA. Back in 2004 I was not very impressed with theme's but I was impressed with the rides. However, I do plan on going again to visit Harry Potter so I'll keep an open mind and see if its better than how I remember it.

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm wondering if they were voted best themed park before 2004. Which was the last time I stepped foot at IOA. Back in 2004 I was not very impressed with theme's but I was impressed with the rides. However, I do plan on going again to visit Harry Potter so I'll keep an open mind and see if its better than how I remember it.

Theme Park Insider rates IOA as the best theme back in 2003 and 2002... Can't find prior to 2002 though... So, IOA has had this distinction since 2002 at least...

It is a matter of taste... Some people love it, some hate it... Some love both Universal and Disney... Disney fanboys refuse to like Universal, thinking Disney cannot do any wrong... We all know THAT is a big myth... But calling IOA or Universal Six Flags is not an opinion, it is WRONG.. :)

seanyred
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Theme Park Insider rates IOA as the best theme back in 2003 and 2002... Can't find prior to 2002 though... So, IOA has had this distinction since 2002 at least...

It is a matter of taste... Some people love it, some hate it... Some love both Universal and Disney... Disney fanboys refuse to like Universal, thinking Disney cannot do any wrong... We all know THAT is a big myth... But calling IOA or Universal Six Flags is not an opinion, it is WRONG.. :)

nope it's an opinion. So I take exception to being told I'm wrong when stating my opinion. Besides my opinion wasn't based on just theme, it was the all around experience. IOA has a lot of bells and whistles but it's missing heart.

back to the original subject I just feel that even though expensive the value for a WDW vacation is worth it, even though I'm not a fan of price increases.

magicman
06-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Price comparisons:

1981 - Gasoline was $1.00 & WDW Ticket was $9.50.

2011 - Gasoline is $3.50 & WDW is $85.00.

While gasoline has gone up 350%, a WDW ticket has gone up 894%

Scrooge McDuck is running WDW...not Mickey.

seanyred
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Price comparisons:

1981 - Gasoline was $1.00 & WDW Ticket was $9.50.

2011 - Gasoline is $3.50 & WDW is $85.00.

While gasoline has gone up 350%, a WDW ticket has gone up 894%

Scrooge McDuck is running WDW...not Mickey.

I bet the same camparison could be used for price increases for going to professional Baseball or Football game. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure a family of four could go to Baseball game for under $40. Where in todays world it would cost around $200.

magicman
07-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I bet the same camparison could be used for price increases for going to professional Baseball or Football game. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure a family of four could go to Baseball game for under $40. Where in todays world it would cost around $200.

You are exactly right...the same comparison CAN be made & once again WDW inflation is much more.

In 1981, the Avg MLB Ticket was $4.00 and now it is $27.00 for a 675% increase. The WDW inflation of 894% during the same period is far greater (over 200%).

PopPhan
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Magicman...I appreciate your comparison of prices, but you also have to take into account that in 1981 there was one park (until October,) where there are now four...Wages have gone up...Utilities have gone WAY up...Comparisons such as yours are 'apples and oranges' in reality...

Compare to similar theme parks (US/IOA, etc.) and the numbers are pretty even...

Terra
07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I kind of see all sides personally, but I think I may be in a more [socioeconomic] category than many. While we are a 2 income household we only clear together about $28K a year.

Now my DH hates Disney and won't go at all, so it's myself and my 2 sons [ages 3 and 4 so I have to pay for both of them, though a "reduced" rate.]

With each increase it does put a wedge in who goes/how often. Thankfully as a Florida resident we do have the pay monthly plan and that helps. But for us paying for 3 seasonal passes [the cheapest all park pass] is about $60 a month and that may not be a lot to many but it is to us, so it causes us to rethink again. Now we can/could get the EPCOT after 4 pass at $15 a month for all three of us and that is a better deal. But of course we only get that one park.

I do think the value for what we get is good though! There is so much to do and it never gets old!

Just weighing a lot of pros and cons here for us. Not that it matters so much to anyone else :)

seanyred
07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
You are exactly right...the same comparison CAN be made & once again WDW inflation is much more.

In 1981, the Avg MLB Ticket was $4.00 and now it is $27.00 for a 675% increase. The WDW inflation of 894% during the same period is far greater (over 200%).

The last point I will make is that you are only comparing a single day ticket. Consider this a 10 day base ticket costs roughly $30 a day. Which would lower the increase percentage to about 315% increase per daily ticket. So in that case the inflation is actualy less than the baseball example.

For my self I purchased a DVC annual pass and over two trips I'll be spending roughly $18 dollars a day (we take long trips) which would put the increase around 189%

Anyway my point is there is many different ways to look at this. I do think it stinks that prices keep going up but so is life...of all the things we purchase in life the only thing I can think of that actualy goes down in cost is electronics.

mommad
07-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the thing that bothers me the most about the price inflation is the saying 'more bang for your buck'. If they were adding and updating LOTS of areas in the parks then I could see the justification for the increase as often as it is happening. However, with just the main expansion in Fantasyland going on there isn't much 'bang' going on at the time to completely justify it for me. It won't keep me from going back to WDW in a couple more years after my next kid is born, but still. I'd like to see the profit be put back into the parks and give them some of the shine that is sorely needed and missed.