PDA

View Full Version : Why are they ruining Epcot ?

tiggerbuddy
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
It seems to me that Epcot just isn't what it used to be . ..So many bad decisions lately...

1) Horrible new narration on Spaceship earth..Jeremy Irons was the best.
2) Horizons ..Gone
3)world of Motion.. gone
4) Imagination..Dont even get me started ...(Dreamfinder)

Does anyone else agree or I am I being to sentimental ?

cather74
06-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I concur!:drill:

Stu29573
06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Personally, I thought Walter Cronkite was the best on Spaceship Earth.... But few people even remember him!

slottedpig
06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I agree about Horizons and Jeremy Irons. But I was never a huge fan of World of Motion and I enjoy Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space.

I would like to see some upgrades in World Showcase. Some updates to the movies using IMAX 3-D technology would be pretty cool.

TheRustyScupper
06-10-2011, 12:11 AM
It seems to me that Epcot just isn't what it used to be . ..So many bad decisions lately...

1) If you want promotions, you make changes.
2) Even bad ones count.

NOTE: There must have been a lot of promotions.

TinkRocks
06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
I also miss Horizons, Jeremy Irons SSE narration, JII, and World of Motion.

I agree that change is constant, but if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Why not enhance scenes within these attractions to embrace modern / futuristic technology?

I have been on Test Track and Soarin', but they lack the 're-rideability' that the classic omnimover attractions have. Don't get me wrong - cool concepts, but I dont' have the desire to return. I also miss the inspiring narration that was in some of the attractions (eg Jeremy Irons) - it prompted me to learn more about specific periods of time. SSE used to be a 'must see' attraction every time I go to WDW, but now it's downgraded to 'if I'm in the mood.' I like Dame Judi Dench as an actress, but I feel the narration has been 'dumbed down' and doesn't leave me wanting to learn more. Wasn't that one of the things Epcot was built for - learning?

The World Showcase could do with some type of overhaul. I enjoy visiting the different countries on the occasional trip, but needs some new life pumped into it. To be honest, if it weren't for the American Adventure pavilion & Candlelight Processional (& Laila perfume in Norway), I'd probably skip the WS all together.

Melanie
06-10-2011, 05:36 AM
I would like to see some upgrades in World Showcase. Some updates to the movies using IMAX 3-D technology would be pretty cool.

Well, they are maybe moving in the right direction. The France film has been recently updated - it's gone digital and looks incredible! :thumbsup:

2Epcot
06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Personally, I thought Walter Cronkite was the best on Spaceship Earth.... But few people even remember him!

I remember Walter Cronkite, who I also enjoyed. I like Test Track and Soarin' but both don't fall into the same category of the original EPCOT attractions. Having been going to the park almost from the very beginning, I do feel the park isn't what it used to be. Even when I was much younger, I enjoyed the educational aspect of the attractions as opposed to just being fun. EPCOT is still my favorite of the four parks.

eam
06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
And how many of us are old enough to remember Communicore? I use to try to get to a computer and build a flag, which stripe goes first, red or white, and also loading the baggage onto the plane. I do miss those things.

kbean
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I totally agree. WOM and Horizons were very nice long, detailed dark rides. Id noticed something new everytime I rode them. Now they replaced with thrill rides that are fun, but are not repeatable. How many times do you need to drive the same test track with dull scenes? Or blast into space with the same picture in front of you? You see everything there is too see in one ride through.

They really need to get back to a classic Epcot. I think ideas are stalled on what to do next in Epcot. Id bring back Wonders of Life and get rid of that bore Ellen ride.

waymickey
06-10-2011, 08:27 AM
EPCOT is one of my favorite parks( MK is still my favorite), however I agree it needs ome updates. I still ride space Shhip Earth I call it mommy nap time. Air conditioned and I am sitting being lulled to sleep by the boring narration. :D
I miss wonders of life and world of motion. I do like test track but only need to ride it once.
I stillhit all the countries but I always by pass the boring movie at the end. Norway boat ride is good and so is the little boat in mexico. I wish they made a Gondala ride in Italy or maybe a ride through the best sights in Italy.

darthmacho
06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Tough call. They definitely dropped the ball with the Imagination Pavilion, but Test Track, Soarin, and Mission Space are huge upgrades to me. As for Spaceship Earth, I suppose the new narration is a downgrade, but the ride is still top notch. I don't mind some of the Nemo additions to Living Seas, but some things are just too much. Epcot is a changed park, but I'd say it's mostly for the better. :thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
06-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I'll add...
- Wonders of Life - practically closed
- Universe of Energy - needs updates

I think Future World's "big" improvements (TT, M:S, Soarin') are pretty good. I'd still take Horizons over M:S though and I think the Nemo ride is lame, even for the kiddos. But overall it seems to be missing that "one little spark" that used to make it so special. It now just seems like a hashed together group of some rides and some edu-tainment attractions where it used to be a fairly cohesive group of pavillions designed to ignite our desire to discover, dream, and explore.

Dulcee
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
To be honest, if it weren't for the American Adventure pavilion & Candlelight Processional (& Laila perfume in Norway), I'd probably skip the WS all together.

:jaw: While I agree it could use some updates and a new country would be fun WS is probably one of my favorite parts of WDW trips lol

DisneyDINK
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Can you really have a "Future World" that you expect to stay the same forever?

Ellen's Energy Adventure - Prefer it to the original attraction , but time for a remodel.

Wonders of life - I think this one should have stayed open. I really enjoyed Cranium Command & Making of Me, but I might be in the minority on that one. Body wars is not the best sim ride, but it would stand the test of time (isn't dated) - keep it open. 3D it later?

WOM - I prefer Test Track.

Horizons - novel enough to have stayed - put MS in Energy's place?

Imagination - they just can't get that whole pavilion quite right. Definately time for a new 3D movie at the very least.

Land - boat ride still works, I prefer Soarin' to Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks, don't you?

Living Seas - OK for now, it needed a ride and the Nemo theme did the trick pretty well.

SE - I prefer the new treatment. What gives it the re-rideability is the interactive stuff at the end. The old version you just went down backwards and listened to music, much better now!

crltkcagle
06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I do agree Epcot could use some updating! I remember in the 80's on my first trip it was all new and futuristic and exciting. Its kind of lame now. Future World needs some futuristic updates! LOL

Pagan
06-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Just the way Jeremy Irons said "The Renaissance" was better than Dame Judi's entire narration.

JasonH
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Here are my thoughts on it all and sorry that this is prolly going to be lengthy. There are many attractions that are gone or have changed tremendously that I, and others, truly miss. WoM, Horizons, the original JII, Kitchen Kabarat, Food Rocks!, the Walter Kronkite and Jeremy Irons versions of SE, Communicore East and West with EPCOT Poll and Wonders Of Life.

Horizons they would have had to update it a lot. One of the first lines they say in the narration is our destination being the 21st century. Well, we're living it now. But I feel they could have kept it just would need to update it.

WoM would need only a small update imo. Such as in the final scenes in regards to moreso today's kind of vehicles. I like Test Track, I ride it every time, but it does need something else to it. Perhaps an upgrade in the audio technology to make it more realistic sounding.

The original JII.....it wasn't broke, don't fix it unless you were gonna update the technology used for the ride.....and bring back the upstairs play area!!!! The newer area is a joke compared to what it used to be.

SE with either Kronkite or Irons as narrator. Both were great and I thought they updated the final scenes quite well with keeping up on technology. I like Dame Judi Dench as well the new scenes they added into the ride on our journey up to the top. On the way back down though is where I see them having failed imo. This section could have been done a lot better. Rather than update or change the scenes, they change the ride vehicles to give us a simple animation vid based on our choices via touch screen and is moreso about technology that could be used rather than what the ride was for in the first place, communication. Bad form.

Food Rocks! and Kitchen Kabaret. I miss them, would love to see both again, but Soarin' is an excellent ride but is slightly out of place where it's at.

Communicore. Moreso a nostalgia factor here for me to miss it, especially with EPCOT Poll (loved "voicing" my opinion and comparing it to others from around the world), but the technology that was showcased in it is now way dated but had more of a fun factor to it than Innoventions does imo. Goin through Innoventions I feel like I'm more of in a very hands on version of an electronics store than anything.

Wonders of Life. This I thought was a great idea and executed greatly. Body Wars I think they just needed to update the technology to make it a little more realistic looking. Cranium Command. Loved it, wouldn't have changed it at all until technology had caught up to it to where it did need updating. The exhibits were great, utilizing all of our senses. Loved the exercise bikes too (always chose going through Disneyland but wishing they had done a WDW version for it too).

All in all, all the rides would have needed to been updated in some way shape or form. Were the decisions made to change or lose the attraction altogether to make way for the new for the better? In a certain aspect, yes. Otherwise WDW wouldn't be getting our repeat business. lol Change is inevitable, we can't stop it unless we ourselves were actually one of those that make the decision to change or not. I think WDW should listen a little more to it's guests though as to which direction to go and then execute it through the Imagineers. So until such time they have gone to the way of changing so much that it's bad and that I don't want to go, I will continue to go and embrace the changes as best as possible and be where I truly feel I can get away from it all. :thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I do agree Epcot could use some updating! I remember in the 80's on my first trip it was all new and futuristic and exciting. Its kind of lame now. Future World needs some futuristic updates! LOL

This is kind of what I was getting at. While I liked Horizons, I am not a sentimentalist when it comes to Future World. Each attraction should evolve as technology or even culture changes (ie: more current personalities in attractions). The Horizons concept was all about the future - because of new technological trends, we just have a slightly different perspective on it now.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
While I agree that Jeremy Irons was a better narrator than Dame Judi, I love Epcot and don't think its ruined at all.........

darthmacho
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
You know what I do miss about the way Future World used to be? The architecture. While many of the buildings remain about the same, most have changed, most notably Test Track and Mission Space. While the latter is colorful, the former is a bit ugly. The change was inevitable, but if you look at a FW map from say, 10-15 years ago, it looked like a unique little city. Now it seems a little disjointed? Anyway, that's just one thing.

dizneydeb22
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I remember EPCOT both ways as well, but some thing was needed to attract the younger generation. I have to say as a mother to a pre-teen and an Aunt to teenagers, it is great not to have to 'drag' them to EPCOT and hope to get at least an hour in before hearing "I'm bored"! Now they look forward to going to EPCOT every year. And it has become a challenge for them to get me to ride Mission Space. Needless to say, they're still trying... That is the ONLY ride I haven't gone on in WDW!
Change is inevitable and 20 years from now, my kids are going to be on INTERCOT lamenting the days of old and rides they miss.:yoda:

DVC2004
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
We love Epcot but I have to admit I only visited there once prior to going as an adult and that was back in 1990. The next time I came back was in 2001.

I do not remember World of Motion at all. I am not even sure we went on it when we were there. My husband does and he always raves about it. I remember SE, and my mother taking us to every single country to browse the stores. We were so bored, we were teens and complained the whole time! Also remember Living Seas and The old Journey into Your Imagination.

I like WS but I do agree that it could use more attractions and a little updating. I like a previous poster's idea of adding a gondola ride at Italy. That would be fun! A few more fun updates would be cool!

Universe of Energy with Ellen- needs to be updated. Or redone or something. We don't even go anymore. It's so long, and we all know the answers to the Jeopardy and all that. It's just very tired out to me.

big blue and hairy
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Horizons they would have had to update it a lot. One of the first lines they say in the narration is our destination being the 21st century. Well, we're living it now. But I feel they could have kept it just would need to update it.

Except for the fact that according to most people, the building was going to collapse. The ground below it was sinking according to most accounts. If that is true, the building had to come down and Disney wasn't going to rebuild the same thing.

I actually like Mission Space better.

:sulley:

Daisy'sMom
06-10-2011, 03:51 PM

You are so right about Walter. No one compares to hgis narration. :mickey:

tiggerbuddy
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Exactly my point !!!:thumbsup:

I agree that change is constant, but if something ain't broke, don't fix it.

PETE FROM NYC
06-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I can do without thrill rides. Not what I went to Epcot for.
The old Universe of Energy WAS a learning experience. Now its more of a joke. The same can be said about the Seas.
I also preferred World of Motion to Test Track.
Horizons was my favorite attraction in Future World. I rode it a bunch of times each trip. Mission:Space is worth maybe one trip.
The original Imagination was far superior to its present incarnation, but I have never seen version #2.
I also wish that Wonders of Life would be reopened.
World Showcase is getting stale and could use some updating, and maybe another country or two added.

BWayGrl
06-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Even when I was much younger, I enjoyed the educational aspect of the attractions as opposed to just being fun. EPCOT is still my favorite of the four parks.

I agree with you! When I was young my friends would always say, "Epcot is too educational. I want to have fun when I go on vacation." But I always thought there was something so magical about Epcot. Especially with the earlier rides. I am a HUGE fan of Horizons, and I did enjoy World of Motion as well, and I miss the Dreamfinder! I do like Soarin, and I like that Ellen was added to Universe of Energy. But I can't stand Spaceship Earth anymore! That used to be my favorite ride with the Jeremy Irons narration and now it just lost it's mystique with the new narration. I wish all of the old rides could come back and Soarin could stay.

Disney-4-Me
06-10-2011, 11:17 PM
EPCOT is our second favorite park after the Magic Kingdom. We've been going long enough to have lived through most of the changes but we still love it. Things tend to balance out. There are things we miss, but there have also been some great additions too!:thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Sponsorship of pavilions is both a strength and a curse for Disney. They receive financial support to build an attraction that costs tens of millions. But when sponsorship changes, well so do the pavilions/attractions because the new sponsor wants the attraction to represent their business and not the previous company's.

Siemens takes over Spaceship Earth so the ride is reworked to what they want and the narrator changes. Nestle took over The Land so Kitchen Kabaret became Food Rocks with all the things that looked like Kraft products removed. And o in. Horizons was GE and Mission Space is Hewlett Packard/ Compaq.

Sometimes an existing sponsor wants to present themselves differently as in World of Motion changes to Test Track.

So the curse is, some good attractions disappear not so much due to Disney alone but because of sponsorship issues.

epceddie
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I think Dame Judi is brilliant on Spaceship Earth. My wife and I love Epcot just the way it is. We do Ellen, Club Cool, Soarin', Nemo, and SE and head back to the resort for some swimming and relaxation. Then, if we feel like it, we head back later.

Fastpasssteve
06-11-2011, 01:59 AM
It had never occurred to me that an actress whose awards include ten BAFTAs, seven Laurence Olivier Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, two Golden Globes, an Academy Award, and a Tony Award would ever be considered "less than." Dame Judi Dench is an eminant and consummate actress. Her performances in the UK and abroad have won her critical acclaim. I, personally, love her richly textured voice. If anyone had to come after Jeremy Irons, I am pleased it was her.

Buttercup
06-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Really? Walter Cronkite? I'm old enough to remember it quite well, and even have a copy on my iPod. His narration is "classic Cronkite" -- the unusual emphasis on syllables -- but really? It's terrible. There are no explanations to any of the scenes. It's not like the new version where it talks about what papyrus is, the invention of the alphabet (which is key to communication, the theme of the ride!). The Cronkite version is literally like "Egyptians wrote on paper." Next scene. :sleepin:
I'll admit, I was a die-hard Jeremy Irons fan, but the more I hear the Judy Dench version, the more I appreciate it.

As for Epcot being ruined, I'll say that I do miss some attractions like Horizons and World of Motion, and there's definitely room for improvement on some of the current attractions, but ruined? I don't think so. The parks need to evolve and change.

TheVBs
06-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Can't say we have ever viewed Epcot as being ruined. :confused: We enjoy all of the attractions there. Our kids love the Figment ride and the Nemo addition is a cute way to enter The Seas, one of our favorite places to visit. I never get tired of The Land ride, love those gardens. And we love Spaceship Earth! Judi Dench sounds great narrating and we got a huge kick out of the interactive video at the end. It was a fun memory for all of us. :mickey:

DisneyGiant
06-11-2011, 10:08 AM

I remember him and I thought he was the best too!

Also I have said for quite a while, the imagination pavilion is quite sad & embarrassing, considering Disney has IMAGINEERS on staff!

tiggerbuddy
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Just the way Jeremy Irons said "The Renaissance" was better than Dame Judi's entire narration.

Yes Yes yes !!:thumbsup:

firefan43
06-13-2011, 07:39 AM

I couldnt agree more with this statement.

I love Epcot, its my 2nd favorite park. SS was probably my favorite ride in all of WDW until they changed the narration. Same Judi just lacks the presence that Jeremy Irons has so now it sounds like someone narrating a boring documentary instead of my favorite ride.

Maybe we should start a petition to get Jeremy Irons back?

As for the other rides, I used to love Ellens Energy Adventure, but I think Im over it. I love test track, its a fun ride. Soarin is great, just wish it were "Soarin: USA" instead of California. The Imagination pavilion has lost me completely now that HISTA is gone, and seriously...Captain EO is so bad. I do think the Nemo ride is a nice little upgrade, but the best part of it is how creative the queuing line is. Mission Space is also called "the nauseator" by my family...we dont ride it after getting sick the first time"

World showcase is great...I could spend a day there. I wish there were more rides though. And im not a huge fan of the Donald Duck version of the Mexico ride, but I also wasnt a huge fan of the previous version. They need to drop the movie scenes and put in some animatronics and it would be great.

azcavalier
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I love Epcot. I love SSE. I love it when Judi Dench says, "Thank the Phoenicians. They invented it!" My *only* complaint about SSE is that they stopped the scenes too early. Meaning, it's supposed to be about communication, and they stop with the invention of the PC in a garage? Really? You know how much has changed since 1980? I mean, we're talking 30 years of communication technology here.

I would love to see something in the building where Body Wars was. And I would love to see a new 3D movie when Captain EO now is. Muppets 3D, Philharmagic, and It's Tough to be a Bug are all great. Honey I Shrunk the Audience and Captain EO are painful.

And Ellen just needs to go.

Love the World Showcase, though. Can't wait to watch O' Canada again, or have some Mil Fois (spelling?) at the bakery in France.

ThanxForNoticin
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I understand the reason for this thread, but I find it to be just a little ironic. From my perspective, I always thought of EPCOT as the park that is supposed to change over the years. I'd be more upset about a park that's dedicated to the future, but didn't change and update the attractions.

I'll agree that some of the changes sometimes leave me wishing for the older version of an attraction. But most of the changes are things I prefer and enjoy. And I hope in the next 3-5 years, there are additional changes to keep up with the theme of the park. In fact, I look forward to it!

JasonH
06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I think we all know and understand change is inevitable and with Epcot, that goes without saying. That one we know is going to change the most when it comes to Future World. The problem that most of us are having is that these changes aren't for the better a good chunk of the time and the attractions are losing or have lost all of what they were supposed to be about. SE is about communication. Well the ride back down from the top sure doesn't reflect that. It's just one example and I touched on others in an earlier post. Well, that's my :twocents: and I'll get off my :soapbox: now. lol

dnickels
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I think we all know and understand change is inevitable and with Epcot, that goes without saying. That one we know is going to change the most when it comes to Future World. The problem that most of us are having is that these changes aren't for the better a good chunk of the time and the attractions are losing or have lost all of what they were supposed to be about. SE is about communication. Well the ride back down from the top sure doesn't reflect that. It's just one example and I touched on others in an earlier post. Well, that's my :twocents: and I'll get off my :soapbox: now. lol

I think this is the big thing. In the past you could describe most Epcot areas/attractions as a short show on the evolution of (FILL IN THE BLANK). World of Motion covered the evolution of transportation from beginning to current to future possibilities, The Living Seas did the same with our oceans and sea exploration, now those two are basically a thrill ride and Nemo. Pick any extinct Epcot attraction and it has almost certainly evolved from an informative/educational one to a (1) thrill type, (2) celebrity hosted or (3) merchandise tie in experience. That's the broader decline of Epcot that most of us lament.

BrowncatP
06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
EPCOT does need some updating. To me the Worldshow case is boring. Who remenbers walking through the rainbow in the upstairs part of JTI? I miss all of the fun stuff to play with!

tiggerbuddy
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Pick any extinct Epcot attraction and it has almost certainly evolved from an informative/educational one to a (1) thrill type, (2) celebrity hosted or (3) merchandise tie in experience. That's the broader decline of Epcot that most of us lament.

Well said my friend !!:thumbsup:

Pop Centurion
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
While I'm not crazy about all the changes, I don't think the "ruined" Epcot.

I'll admit they seemed to go in a different direction than the original concept for future world. But I think the general public prefers the type of attractions they've added.

Minnie97
06-14-2011, 01:44 PM
I can't stand the new space ship earth.
It just isn't near what i used to be.

EJS-Houston
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Wow! I couldn't disagree more. There are always things to improve...but I enjoy EPCOT more than ever. As much as I liked Jeremy Irons I thoroughly enjoy Dame Judi's narration and love the new renovations to SpaceShip Earth...and Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space are not only repeatable to me, but are must-rides (at least once) with every visit.

KatrinaJ91
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Wow! I couldn't disagree more. There are always things to improve...but I enjoy EPCOT more than ever. As much as I liked Jeremy Irons I thoroughly enjoy Dame Judi's narration and love the new renovations to SpaceShip Earth...and Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space are not only repeatable to me, but are must-rides (at least once) with every visit.

I was just going to say this very thing! Epcot has become our favorite park...even though I feel like I am betraying MK every time I say that! :blush:
For those who don't enjoy World Showcase....I feel sorry for you. We usually spend an entire day JUST in WS and then have a 2nd day to do both sides!! It's the perfect place to slow down, take in all the sights and sounds (and tastes) and enjoy the many cultures represented.

KatieDuck22
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
i don't think anyone could ruin epcot if they tried. definately still one of the happiest places on the planet! no matter who narrates it:mickey:

alex61821
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
It has always been one of my favorite parks. there is something for everybody to do either separately or as a whole group. the last time we went with my parents and my mom couldnt get over how much she enjoyed the capt EO show and kept asking about going back and riding soaring. then we all did the Kim Possible thing around the world showcase and were blown away by how creatively it interacted with things. you may not like JII but my 5yr old sure does and she was so excited to show her grandma the skunk smell and since nobody likes it you can get right on it which is a huge bonus. if every ride was great then you couldnt just hop on something just to sit down for a bit. We all had a great time in innovations while my wife and daughter went next door to greet the characters. there is always something you can be doing at EPCOT it isnt even about the rides for me. I could sit and watch the fountain dance for hours on end and catch the wandering shows that go by.
My 2 cents say it is getting better, now if you want to fix a park i would pick the studios as the one needing help.

donnine
06-15-2011, 08:50 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!:mickey:

johnO
06-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt say that theyre ruining Epcot by any stretch of the imagination. Some good things have gone, but some good things have been added too.

UCJen
06-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I think this is the big thing. In the past you could describe most Epcot areas/attractions as a short show on the evolution of (FILL IN THE BLANK). World of Motion covered the evolution of transportation from beginning to current to future possibilities, The Living Seas did the same with our oceans and sea exploration, now those two are basically a thrill ride and Nemo. Pick any extinct Epcot attraction and it has almost certainly evolved from an informative/educational one to a (1) thrill type, (2) celebrity hosted or (3) merchandise tie in experience. That's the broader decline of Epcot that most of us lament.

This! You have absolutely captured the sentiment behind this thread.

ValenciaCalling
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
This is exactly what I've been saying since they opened Track Track. I understand the fact that things have to be updated...but what if the Carousel of Progress had just been bulldozed to the ground in the mid-90's? We would have lost one of the last remaining original concepts that Walt Disney personally created.

Disney puts a great deal of focus on the idea of history and the future, but by trying to keep up with current trends, they end up destroying both.

I also thought it was really interesting that the trends of the 80's that were considered corny in the 90's are making now a comeback, and now the 90's are considered outdated and corny...I feel like if Disney had just waited 10 years for the 80's to become "cool" again, they would have saved themselves a lot of time and money...haha

tiggerbuddy
06-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Disney puts a great deal of focus on the idea of history and the future, but by trying to keep up with current trends, they end up destroying both.

Very well said !!:thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
06-17-2011, 07:27 PM
not sure it it's being ruined, but I do miss the OLD innoventions, WOM, Body Wars, and the previous SE. I still love the park, but the worst thing they did as of late was what they did to Mexico's boat ride.

They took a semi historical relaxing ride and made it slapsticky and silly. It borders on annoying. Nothing against Donald, but the old ride was SO much better!

Maybe they can have "Retro Days" or something, lol. :beer:

All that said Epcot is still my favorite park, and always ends my trip.

Terra
06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
:jaw: While I agree it could use some updates and a new country would be fun WS is probably one of my favorite parts of WDW trips lol

:secret: I love to read everyone's fav and not fav things. It's interesting how everyone is different!

The American Adventure Pavilion is my least fav country! While Japan, China, Norway, France and Mexico are my top pics!

I had never been to WDW before 1999 so I don't remember the attractions prior to that.

I do agree EPCOT needs to be updated though. I really miss Jeremy Irons on SE! I don't like the new narration! But I love the ending with your build the future! :)

I love how there ARE tons of little things to do with children. It's just being aware of them!

Poohshoneypot
06-17-2011, 09:33 PM

How can you NOT know who Walter Cronkite was???

frozman
06-17-2011, 09:39 PM
IDK, to me I've always considered EPCOT to be more like a complex of museums and exhibits than a theme park. The addition of Test Track, Soarin and Mission Space has made me more interested in that park.

tiggerbuddy
06-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I wouldnt say that theyre ruining Epcot by any stretch of the imagination.

Ahhh!!!..Dont say "Imagination" :mickey:

ValenciaCalling
06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
This is exactly what I've been saying since they opened Track Track.

LOL How did I miss this horrendous typo?
TEST track...not track track...lol :blush:

tiggerbuddy
06-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh, How I miss Horizons....:(

ValenciaCalling
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh, How I miss Horizons....:(

You and me, both...:(

tiggerbuddy
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I wish all of the old rides could come back and Soarin could stay. :cloud9:

Exo
06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Cronkite was the best SSE narrator. :number1:

I wish they would open a "vintage" theme park with all the retired rides.

Gator
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM

2) Horizons ..Gone
3)world of Motion.. gone

I dont' think so at all.
1. I love the new narration and the music is better than it was before.
2. Replaced with something far better - a thrill ride with some "horizons-future" themes.
3. You think Test Track was a step backwards?
4. My kids love Journey into Imagination - it has a catchy song and is a interesting and fun dark ride.

The one thing I think they've made a bad decision on is keeping Universe of Energy in it's current state. It's a truly terrible and boring attraction that needs to be redone. 6 trips - 1 visit to UoE. And never again until the current "comedy" routine.

bertasso59
06-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Totally agree,in an attempt to lure the teen guests they have pushed adults to the back burner,and EPCOT was designed to be the place for us!
Attractions like WOM,Horizons and the original Imagination were the best Disney had developed in years and they abandoned them :(
EPCOT is still my favorite park but its a shadow of what it once was

tiggerbuddy
06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Very Well said Bertasso !!

Attractions like WOM,Horizons and the original Imagination were the best Disney had developed in years and they abandoned them
EPCOT is still my favorite park but its a shadow of what it once was
__________________:thumbsup:

goofygirl64
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I too agree...I don't even care if ride JII anymore. I loved the old version, it was one of my favorite attractions there. And yes, Walter Kronkite was THE all time best narrator for Spaceship Earth!

ValenciaCalling
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are two types of people: The guests who truly appreciated Epcot, and the guests who didn't. The same can be said about classical music and rap. You either understand and appreciate quality and brilliance...or you don't. :cool:

SBETigg
06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
I loved Epcot as it was, and I love it as it is. I don't think it has been ruined at all, only changed as change becomes necessary. I look forward to seeing more changes in the future, even if it means missing some of the old. To me, Epcot is more about evolution and change than any other park. To keep it stagnant is what would ultimately ruin a park like Epcot, especially in Future World.

lightyearfan
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
i disagree me and dw love Epcot, and think that the changes are fine. it's a touchie subject, but lets face some reality WDW must change things up imho otherwise why keep going back? in time everything changes, look at Madison Square Garden the worlds most famous arena, it's going threw a complete overhaul now as a huge NYR fan does this bother me, and the answer is no, the building compared to others is outdated and needs the change, it's the same theory with WDW. me and dw feel that sometimes change is good, i would agree with the figment ride should have remained the way it was, im just glad that i've taped everything so even the old shows and rides from all the parks are forever saved.

victor

tiggerbuddy
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Actually Epcot is very sad now. Seems almost all the exhibits have been remade with the ADD in mind and that sense of wonder and that you could do anything when you grew up is gone. :mickey:

Jared
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't quite say Epcot is ruined. That strikes me as a bit strong. It still offers a unique theme park experience, especially in World Showcase, and it remains one of Disney's fine achievements.

But I'm afraid there are a good number of apologists in this thread. It seems pretty clear that Future World in particular lacks any sort of vision right now, and that has been the case for several years. The park was designed to inspire and pique our curiosity and imagination. It doesn't seem to have those same aspirations these days.

Test Track and Mission: SPACE are nice attractions, but they lack and wonder and creativity of their predecessors. I agree with the masses about the new Spaceship Earth narration -- it was written for children, and not even smart ones. Imagination is just plain sad. Disney needs to invest in Future World. Actually, it needed to invest in it years ago. It used to be "Today World." Now I'd call it "Historyland."

Gator
06-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Sad? C'mon man. It's not sad. Is it what it used to be? No. But used to, people made it a once a visit park. It had a horrible reputation as being boring and too much like school to most kids. It's still educational - just not to the point it used to be. It's more experience-educational. For instance:

1. Fly through California
2. Learn about communications with a much-easier-to-hear voice and superior music to before
3. Fly to Mars
4. See how they test the safety of autos
5. Explore the oceans
6. Pique the Imagination of youngsters
7. Learn about new crop planting techniques
8. Taste sodas from different countries
9. See new inventions of the future
10. Learn how to nap as dinosaurs liquidate into fuel;)

After listing all this, it's hard to call it "sad". Honestly, it's much better now because people now come to Epcot to have fun instead of just getting drunk in the World Showcase. I know how it feels to see things you like go, but really, some of those old attractions at Epcot had to go to make room for something better.

Snow's Mom
06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I love Epcot, but I can give you one sad thing. My daughter did "Kidcot Funcot" years ago and made the coolest mask, with stamps from all the different countries and die-cut "charms" hung on the sides. It was really a great keepsake. And my DD got a free character poster at the last stop! She took it all to school for "show and tell" when we got home.

Now...you get a cut-out of that bear...Duffy?....you color him and get a stamp at each country. Tried to encourage my youngest niece and nephew to do it, but they lost interest right away. The passports are still cool, though.

Jared
06-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Sad? C'mon man. It's not sad. Is it what it used to be? No. But used to, people made it a once a visit park. It had a horrible reputation as being boring and too much like school to most kids. It's still educational - just not to the point it used to be. It's more experience-educational. For instance:

I agree that "sad" is an unfair descriptor. Despite the park's shortcomings, it remains a spectacular experience. (I stand by my claim, however, that the Imagination pavilion is truly "sad.")

I actually agree with Disney's decision to try to make Epcot more fun for children. It's a theme park, not a museum, and I understand why kids don't want to be lectured on vacation. That shift in philosophy is not an excuse for poor upkeep and an obvious lack of commitment to keeping Future World relevant.

texas211
07-10-2011, 10:35 AM

1. Fly through California
2. Learn about communications with a much-easier-to-hear voice and superior music to before
3. Fly to Mars
4. See how they test the safety of autos
5. Explore the oceans
6. Pique the Imagination of youngsters
7. Learn about new crop planting techniques
8. Taste sodas from different countries
9. See new inventions of the future
10. Learn how to nap as dinosaurs liquidate into fuel;)

After listing all this, it's hard to call it "sad". Honestly, it's much better now because people now come to Epcot to have fun instead of just getting drunk in the World Showcase. I know how it feels to see things you like go, but really, some of those old attractions at Epcot had to go to make room for something better.

I generally agree with your points, but, I do miss the older vision of Epcot. I feel your points represent a commentary on society as a whole. Rather than learn sources of knowledge, must have some multi-sensational experience. Why people have to walk everywhere w/ their ipods on, or be socially connected while eating a burger, need a cell phone that plays music, movies, tv, surf the internet, email, update 12 social sites, and oh yes, text.

Tearin_it_up
07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I think one simple solution would have been to turn Universe of Energy into Missin Space instead of Horizons:thumbsup:

cpaulfox
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Having been going to the parks for well over 20 years it's always interesting to see what changes are made !

I got bored with EPCOT a few years back and didn't go for a while. I went again this year ! What a disappointment !!!!

The Park (very much like Tomorrow Land in MK) is a dull and boring place that seems to be stuck in the past and not really know what it's supposed to be about !!

The two halves of the park were once about who we are and who we could be.
Now it's just a mish mash of rides that don't seem to belong anywhere in particular.

Along with Tomorrow Land in MK, which has also lost it's way, it seems very dated.

Parks like Universal are slowly but surley taking the lead in new technology and the rides that excite and inspire.

Disney needs to look to what Universal is doing and run very fast to catch up !

I left EPCOT feeling sad that it was not what it once promised to be.

AlliMo
07-11-2011, 05:44 PM
All I can say is that I am so glad that I got to experience Future World as a kid and adult before any of the changes. I still love it now because of the memories I have and what is left of the park today. The new stuff is just ok but I will always love Future World because of what it was... I hate that this thread made me sad...

tiggerbuddy
07-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I like Roller Coasters as much as the next guy, But a Disney vacation is supposed to be "SPECIAL"

You can have your fill of Coasters at any Six Flags Park.

I left EPCOT feeling sad that it was not what it once promised to be. :(

donnine
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM

TOTALLY AGREE THAT CRONKITE WAS INDEED THE BEST!!! :number1:

The narrator now is terrible! :(

sixshot19
07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
My little guys LOVE Figment......

tiggerbuddy
07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Very well said Valencia !! :mickey:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are two types of people: The guests who truly appreciated Epcot, and the guests who didn't. The same can be said about classical music and rap. You either understand and appreciate quality and brilliance...or you don't.

DisneyOtaku
07-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Seeing how I was 1 when EPCOT opened, I don't remember many of the original rides. That being said, I still remember the old Journey, and I miss it so, SO much. What was wrong with the Dreamfinder?!? You could even meet him in the park sometime. And Figment was SUCH a symbol of old Epcot. They still try to use him, but do the kids remember him as much? Do parents still bring their kids to the attraction? I also miss the old play area. It was so AWESOME! Especially the "put you in a film" and the giant pin boards.

I also miss the old Living with the Seas. The ride was so amazing just LOOKING at the ocean. Didn't need any characterization to it. Also, to this day, whenever there is a sudden downpour, my family and I will try to sound like the original film narrator (is it the same film? We always pass it now) and say "...and then, the rains came." Because we are Disney nerds who remember that spot in the film, lol.

I do think the Wonders of Life pavillion needs to be reopened. It's a great little center! Update Body Wars and you have a "thrill" attraction there, along with all the other amazing things to see. I remember my mom taking me to see the film about reproduction too when I was a bit older. People might think that it was weird for Disney to have that, but honestly? It's a part of life and I remember it being dealt with very tactfully and in a way kids understand.

I *do* like the new Spaceship Earth though. I think the interaction at the end is perfect. My friends and I also like Ellen's Energy Adventure, but that's mostly because we're cracking up at Ellen's jokes, and we're all big fans of Jepordy :D

century3
07-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, put me on the list of those who miss Horizons. I love Mission Space, but Horizons was about the future, in many different aspects, not just space and it had a more far reaching vision. It was also a ride I could ride over and over. After one or two times on Mission Space per trip I'm done (not because of motion sickness).

I miss the educational/entertaining aspects of EPCOT. I loved having a theme park that wasn't all about characters or thrills, but was there to "entertain, inform and inspire." EPCOT just isn't that inspiring anymore and the inform part has been pretty watered down to the basics without much depth. Imagination used to deal with the actual imagination in creativity, science, literature, etc. but now is more about illusions and senses, than actual imagination (the new one would have been more appropriate for Wonders of Life, in my opinion). I'm sorry but the imagination is currently missing from the Journey. Wherefore art thou Dreamfinder?

Don't even get me started on adding characters to everything...:(

I guess EPCOT made people think to much during their trips. "“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?” - Homer Simpson

or if you like

"My brain hurts." - Monty Python

Mousemates
07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
TOTALLY AGREE THAT CRONKITE WAS INDEED THE BEST!!! :number1:

The narrator now is terrible! :(

:ditto:

AuntLaura
07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Epcot was always lowest on my park list, and now, it's one of my favorites. As long as the narrator on Spaceship Earth is a Brit, I don't care.

DisneyVillain
08-15-2011, 12:51 AM

YES! He was absolutely the best... Though I still remember rideing 20,000 leagues in the MK.

texas211
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
One of my all time favorites. Dive Dive.

FutureCorpsFan
08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Disney has it a little rough. They need to satisfy a lot of people, guests, sharholders and vendors and still turn a profit. As a public company, it is their feduciary responsibility. Still, there is balance that they must strike to get make it all happen. This is truely not easy. People will look to a signle decision Disney makes which affects the way guests feel about a ride, attraction or resort, do to some particular reason. Regardless, the one sure thing we can't change in life is "change." Change is constant and enduring. Disney must change as well. We may not like every decision, but it will happen. I try to focus on the journey and not just the rest stops along the way. The rest stops will certainly change over time, but journey continues on.

McLiberal8
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
The same can be said about classical music and rap. You either understand and appreciate quality and brilliance...or you don't.

Okay, low blow - there is a lot of amazing rap and hip hop, unless you pigeonhole one kind of music to be 'all the same', which it isn't.

I really love Intercot, but sometimes there is just so much dissent about the present/future. Between people constantly complaining about how much better things USED to be and being upset over new ideas/resorts/theming, I feel a bit alone sometimes in trying to embrace the future.

Sure, the future isn't always going to be the same as the past. And it is hard when a company is built on the ideals of one man, who is no longer alive. But maybe, we can trust that those ideals have touched all of us so strongly, that maybe the people who work for the company have the same ideals in mind when making decisions.

Epcot used to be kind of a joke - that it was boring, more like a museum and classroom than a theme park. You just need to watch The Simpson's episode where they are trapped in 'Efcot' to see that.

I enjoy Epcot, very much. There is a good balance between fun and educational, but more importantly, all is available to avoid/enjoy. If you are a thrill junkie, you can enjoy Test Track and Mission:Space. If you are educationally motivated, you can ride The Land and walk through Innovations. If you are an uber-nerd thrill junkie like me, you can set 2-3 days aside to go EVERYWHERE in Epcot!

I don't mean to offend anyone, and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just hope people remember - "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Not my words. :mickey:

tiggerbuddy
08-19-2011, 08:28 PM
With all this talk about Fantasy Land...How about a "Future World" refurb ???

tiggerbuddy
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I just found my old stuffed FIGMENT in the basement !!:mickey:

hope2survive
04-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, to give a different opinion, I don't agree. But, I've only been going since 2000, so I never saw Horizons or World of Motion or the original JII. I did see the prior incantation of SE and think the current one is better and enjoy the interactive nature of it and the area at the end of the ride.

Many of you on these boards are Disney purists and really sentimental for the old times. I think that any venture like this has to change with the times or become stale. Wasn't Epcot always supposed to be changing and being updated?

Soarin is my absolute favorite attraction in all of WDW now. I would like to see them do a better and more relevant 3D movie in Imagination pavilion. My kids enjoy JII, but it would be fine with me if they replaced it altogether. The current Living Seas appeals to children more and gives them a point from which to relate since Finding Nemo is so popular. I wish they'd replace Ellen's Energy Adventure now and really talk about Greenhouse Effect and future energy choices. Maybe they should have a disaster attraction there like the movie 2012 (kidding). And get something, anything in the empty Wonders of Life pavilion - I mean the healthcare industry is the biggest thing going and medical technology so cutting edge, that could be amazing with the right sponsor.

I guess I'm sayin, overall, I hope it continues to change as I kind of think this is the park that most should continue to be updated and improved.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-28-2012, 09:00 PM
My two cents:

Disney is a family vacation destination and there needs to be some "fun" rides. What little kid (AND BIG KID!) does not love a race car or a spaceship? As a kid I put up with EPCOT because my grandmother loved it. Now kids love EPCOT.

And yeah, I understand the EPCOT's main focus was technology, education, and the future but the larger point is that its a theme park, which must entertain. Heck, I learned a lot from Test Track about cars. The que for Mission: Space features all kinds of great Space History.

I LOVED Jeremy Irons audio on Spaceship Earth and the new narration just doesn't do it for me in the same way. But that's only one part of the ride experience. The new interactive experience is neat. I'm very happy with the newest version. It's still a glorious ride.

World Showcase boring? Yeah, it may need a few updates, but it's not, by any stretch, an awful experience. There's a lot to experience! Food, beer and wine, people from other cultures, neat buildings, etc.

Disney still has maintained the main vision of EPCOT while making it more appealing to a wider audience. That's no easy task. It's gone from worst to first of on my favorites list.

disneynarula
04-29-2012, 09:55 AM
IWhat I miss is the ability of our whole family to ride together. When I was a kid we could all go on all the rides together. My father had health restrictions and Epcot was the park that was sort of an equalizer. We could all go on everything.

Now I have small children and we can not go on rides like Mission Space and Epcot without having to use the child swap. It's not family friendly at all.

Why not just update Horizons with new technology.

IMHO they DESTROYED Imagination! It was so cute and had an original character.

Not so crazy about the updates to SE. (Anyone remember Tomorrow's Child?) I think it needed an update but once again made it worse.

I actually like Test Track but wish it was more family friendly.

jwallace378
04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Horizons was the worst decision they made in my opinion. It was such a classic Epcot ride. They replaced it with Mission Space and I got sick to my stomach on that ride. World of Motion was also a classic ride, but Test Track is better.

Polynesian Dweller
04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Horizons was the worst decision they made in my opinion. It was such a classic Epcot ride. They replaced it with Mission Space and I got sick to my stomach on that ride. World of Motion was also a classic ride, but Test Track is better.

I agree about Horizons being a classic and great ride. But the decision to close was all they could do. There is a Horizons site that gives the history but it boils down to closing it for guest and CM safety. As that site says, there was a sinkhole under the building and the building was completely usage and likely to collapse under its own weight. The building had to be torn down, the area reinforced, and a less massive building replacing it.

So I can't blame Disney for closing it but can agree it was a shame to lose such a classic ride.

sportsguy2315
04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I actually like Test Track but wish it was more family friendly.

Define "family friendly" then because I sure am missing the memo! When I worked at Epcot I had plenty of families ask me about Test Track and the fact is (At least with the old version) if my kids were tall enough I'd highly recommend it.

In fact, there was a mom who was trying to convince her daughter to do it and employed the help of me. I convinced her, and she loved it! :mickey:

tiggerbuddy
04-29-2012, 06:58 PM
BRAVO !! BRAVO !!!:number1:

IMHO they DESTROYED Imagination! It was so cute and had an original character.

disneynarula
05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Define "family friendly" then because I sure am missing the memo! :

It is not family friendly if your kids are not tall enough to ride or if people have health restriction. Everyone could ride Horizons and World of Motion together.

Terra
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Okay, low blow - there is a lot of amazing rap and hip hop, unless you pigeonhole one kind of music to be 'all the same', which it isn't.

I really love Intercot, but sometimes there is just so much dissent about the present/future. Between people constantly complaining about how much better things USED to be and being upset over new ideas/resorts/theming, I feel a bit alone sometimes in trying to embrace the future.

Sure, the future isn't always going to be the same as the past. And it is hard when a company is built on the ideals of one man, who is no longer alive. But maybe, we can trust that those ideals have touched all of us so strongly, that maybe the people who work for the company have the same ideals in mind when making decisions.

Epcot used to be kind of a joke - that it was boring, more like a museum and classroom than a theme park. You just need to watch The Simpson's episode where they are trapped in 'Efcot' to see that.

I enjoy Epcot, very much. There is a good balance between fun and educational, but more importantly, all is available to avoid/enjoy. If you are a thrill junkie, you can enjoy Test Track and Mission:Space. If you are educationally motivated, you can ride The Land and walk through Innovations. If you are an uber-nerd thrill junkie like me, you can set 2-3 days aside to go EVERYWHERE in Epcot!

I don't mean to offend anyone, and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just hope people remember - "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Not my words. :mickey:

Brilliant post and I agree! :mickey:

KatrinaJ91
05-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow...this whole reply is pretty much the total opposite of how I feel! Over the past 10 years, Epcot has become our favorite park and WS our favorite place to be! We love Soarin and Test Track as well as most of the other rides there. SSE was always an attraction that we would go on if the line wasn't too long, but it is not a must see every trip ride for us.

However, we cannot be in Disney and not spend an entire day (or more) in World Showcase! If you were prompted to learn more after being on SSE, how could you not be prompted to want to learn more about the culture of the countries highlighted in WS? Watching the performances in each country and seeing the architecture and cultural aspects make us love being there.

Everyone has their own opinion on everything and should have...but Epcot is definitely not being ruined. For us, it only gets better and better!

I also miss Horizons, Jeremy Irons SSE narration, JII, and World of Motion.

I agree that change is constant, but if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Why not enhance scenes within these attractions to embrace modern / futuristic technology?

I have been on Test Track and Soarin', but they lack the 're-rideability' that the classic omnimover attractions have. Don't get me wrong - cool concepts, but I dont' have the desire to return. I also miss the inspiring narration that was in some of the attractions (eg Jeremy Irons) - it prompted me to learn more about specific periods of time. SSE used to be a 'must see' attraction every time I go to WDW, but now it's downgraded to 'if I'm in the mood.' I like Dame Judi Dench as an actress, but I feel the narration has been 'dumbed down' and doesn't leave me wanting to learn more. Wasn't that one of the things Epcot was built for - learning?

The World Showcase could do with some type of overhaul. I enjoy visiting the different countries on the occasional trip, but needs some new life pumped into it. To be honest, if it weren't for the American Adventure pavilion & Candlelight Processional (& Laila perfume in Norway), I'd probably skip the WS all together.

BhamWriter
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
The biggest miss is that the Life pavilion is empty, used only for special events. There were excellent attractions there, and now they're all gone. The empty building is just sad.

As for SE, next time you're on it, count how many times Judi Dench says "fu-chah." Hint: in the teens.

BrerSchultzy
05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I understand the nostalgia...I was one of Horizons' biggest fans. Have the music on my computer. Have the tribute video from somewhere.
But I think most of my nostalgia is not for the old EPCOT, but for a time when computers and lasers and wireless things were more magic and razzle-dazzle than part of our everyday drudgery. When purple and green lights meant futuristic. When rounded, bubble fonts meant hip.
Maybe what Disney could do is pick some corner of the world, and put Horizons, World of Motion, Mr. Tom Morrow, the Computer Show, along with If You Had Wings, Mission to Mars and Magic Journeys...and we can call it Yesterland. Or, the future that we thought was coming, but never did. Maybe, as you enter, the old FedEx videos from Space Mountain could play. And the original Listen to the Land leads you from the TTC.
I'm glad I have memories. And some memories, I'm happy will stay there. I don't want to be that dad that says "isn't this awesome kids", when all they can think of is how soon they'll be away from that ride.

Aurora
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I understand the nostalgia...I was one of Horizons' biggest fans. Have the music on my computer. Have the tribute video from somewhere.
But I think most of my nostalgia is not for the old EPCOT, but for a time when computers and lasers and wireless things were more magic and razzle-dazzle than part of our everyday drudgery. When purple and green lights meant futuristic. When rounded, bubble fonts meant hip.
Maybe what Disney could do is pick some corner of the world, and put Horizons, World of Motion, Mr. Tom Morrow, the Computer Show, along with If You Had Wings, Mission to Mars and Magic Journeys...and we can call it Yesterland. Or, the future that we thought was coming, but never did. Maybe, as you enter, the old FedEx videos from Space Mountain could play. And the original Listen to the Land leads you from the TTC.
I'm glad I have memories. And some memories, I'm happy will stay there. I don't want to be that dad that says "isn't this awesome kids", when all they can think of is how soon they'll be away from that ride.

Very well said! :thumbsup:

Did you know there is a website called Yesterland dedicated to extinct Disneyland attractions? Great minds...

DisneyDawgette
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of EPCOT, and probably one of the few who enjoy Journey Into Imagintion... I have the Dreamfinder song on my iPod. However, I also have the Jeremy Irons version of SE on my iPod, and I'm pretty upset they changed that aspect. :/

But I still really love this park! Granted things can always be done to improve a park- but the same could be said for the other 3. That's the joy of WDW, it's always changing! We may suffer some losses to get new great things, but it's all in the name of progress. :)

AmyCasanova
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
While Dame Judi Dench is growing on me, I'll still forever miss Jeremy Irons narration only because it was such an iconic part of my childhood. I'm not old enough to remember vividly of the 'good old Dreamfinder days' that everyone speaks of. I just know I really wish they'd bring it back, even if Eric Idle is awesome.

Tearin_it_up
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I think some sort of museum or something about Epcot's past would be a cool thing to stick in the old Wonders of Life building.

Something I'm surprized that Disney hasn't taken advantage of is putting a Wall-E attraction in either Epcot or Tomorrowland.

P.Sherman42
05-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Can you really have a "Future World" that you expect to stay the same forever?

Ellen's Energy Adventure - Prefer it to the original attraction , but time for a remodel.

Wonders of life - I think this one should have stayed open. I really enjoyed Cranium Command & Making of Me, but I might be in the minority on that one. Body wars is not the best sim ride, but it would stand the test of time (isn't dated) - keep it open. 3D it later?

WOM - I prefer Test Track.

Horizons - novel enough to have stayed - put MS in Energy's place?

Imagination - they just can't get that whole pavilion quite right. Definately time for a new 3D movie at the very least.

Land - boat ride still works, I prefer Soarin' to Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks, don't you?

Living Seas - OK for now, it needed a ride and the Nemo theme did the trick pretty well.

SE - I prefer the new treatment. What gives it the re-rideability is the interactive stuff at the end. The old version you just went down backwards and listened to music, much better now!

Completely agree. It is called, "future world." Can't expect it to stay the same.

Disney Doll
05-05-2012, 11:48 PM

2) Horizons ..Gone
3)world of Motion.. gone

Ruin seems a little dramatic. There's room for improvement, but overall I'm happy with the changes.

1. Love Judy Dench. I'm not a huge fan of the interactive ending, but I think it's very practical and will prevent the ride from becoming dated too quickly. We're living in a communication renaissance so they need something that will be easy to change.

2. We love Mission Space. It's an awesome thrill ride and certainly unique. My kids aren't big enough to ride, but I have a 4 year old who loves all things space and he'll be on the tame version in another year. I certainly think it's a family attraction.

3. Test track is another favorite. Just look at how popular that ride is. Disney made a great addition there.

4. They certainly need a new 3D movie. I doubt many would dispute that. However, my kids like the imagination ride. I prefer the original, but it was a part of my childhood so I know I can't be completely objective.

I would like to see updates to Enery and I think they need to do something with the life pavilion.

Disney Doll
05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I love Epcot, but I can give you one sad thing. My daughter did "Kidcot Funcot" years ago and made the coolest mask, with stamps from all the different countries and die-cut "charms" hung on the sides. It was really a great keepsake. And my DD got a free character poster at the last stop! She took it all to school for "show and tell" when we got home.

Now...you get a cut-out of that bear...Duffy?....you color him and get a stamp at each country. Tried to encourage my youngest niece and nephew to do it, but they lost interest right away. The passports are still cool, though.

Agree 100%. The old kidcot masks were much more appealing to my kids. My kids couldn't care less about Duffy. And the Sharpie sponsorship? Who decided it would be a good idea to give kids access to bunches of permanent markers:confused:

kingdisney
05-21-2012, 10:21 AM
You all can argue about SS all you want. Personally I miss the Living Sea's pre show. Nemo just can't stand next to how epic the original narration was....

[I]"Try to imagine, just for a moment, that somewhere in the endless reaches of the universe ... on the outer edge of a galaxy of a hundred thousand million suns ... deep within a cluster of slowly forming planets, a small sphere of just the right size lies just the right distance from its mother star ... cooling in the coldness of space. Try to imagine."[/I

Now compare that to "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming..." There is a drop off somewhere:(. I'm all for improvement but the Nemo attraction just feels forced and made for little children. Can we have a teen/Adult line and a children line? Disney has managed to pull off different rides in one with the new Star Tours. If it isn't broke don't fix it. I learned more about the sea's that I could take back with me to school from the original ride....than I ever have with Nemo.

Crow
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
ok so lets move ahead and add a new country...:thedolls:
well they try to get more people to stay longer in the parks so they arent tempted to go offsite.
Living Seas..well idk. the Nemo ride is short. but standing in the last version waiting to b admitted wasnt too fun either.
Mission Space. i do it once a trip. Horixons i would have done more probably.
Test Track my gf likes..its the ADD thing..lol
she needs some of the thrill things, whereas Im happy in ws
The Life pavilion..yes do something w it.
JII isnt that great now..i ride it once
Soaring was a good addition i think.
Energy needs some...energy
they should add another boat type ride, like i think they were originally planning in Germany or something behind Japan

Tigerinvestigator
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
You all can argue about SS all you want. Personally I miss the Living Sea's pre show. Nemo just can't stand next to how epic the original narration was....

[I]"Try to imagine, just for a moment, that somewhere in the endless reaches of the universe ... on the outer edge of a galaxy of a hundred thousand million suns ... deep within a cluster of slowly forming planets, a small sphere of just the right size lies just the right distance from its mother star ... cooling in the coldness of space. Try to imagine."[/I

Yep who could forget..."and it rained and rained and rained" :thumbsup:

So many different thoughts and opinions expressed here. I guess my favorite is build a pavilion (maybe around the odyssey) with a little bit of all the lost attractions. Call it the "Memory" pavilion and like BrerSchultzy said include If you had wings, Horizons, World of Motion. Maybe at the end of the attraction (which would be a slow moving dark ride) they could have a dining experience with "lost food" as well. Polynesian burgers from Adventureland Veranda, paper straws with stripes on them, and a box of raisens with every meal!:thumbsup:

CaptainSad
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
This how I rate the Narrators over the years.

4. Judi Dench
3. Vic Perrin
2. Jeremy Irons
1. Walter Cronkite

At least I have been able to see them all...

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
This how I rate the Narrators over the years.

4. Judi Dench
3. Vic Perrin
2. Jeremy Irons
1. Walter Cronkite

At least I have been able to see them all...

I agree that Cronkite was by far the best, followed by a great effort by Irons. Vic Perrin, I missed, but Dench...oh my word, why Dench?