PDA

View Full Version : Help ! How do we survive Christmas week !

Loves the Mouse
06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure you have been asked this a million times ! Any advice on how you survived Christmas week. I would love to hear from people who were at Disney the week between Christmas and New Years. Thanks :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, we've done it twice and will not do it again, but here is my advice....

You absolutely must be at the park at opening time. If you do not get there at opening, you can forget riding all the big ticket rides. We went to the most popular rides first, then grabbed fast passes for another big ticket ride and then headed to the third. Mornings were kind of a rushed tour, but at least we got to do most of what we wanted. Save shopping and least popular rides for the afternoon. If you plan on eating any TS you must make ADRs well in advance. We usually ate lunch around 11-1130 to avoid the big lunch rush. We just found the crowds overwhelming and do not want to have that level of planning again. I practically planned every move we made for that trip so that we could see and do our favorites.

Gregandmel
06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I've not been durng that timeframe, but as the previous poster said - if you want to see & do the main attractions at each park - you WILL have to have a pretty good plan in place. Our friends went this past Christmas week with their 2 girls aged 10-13 (first trip for the family) and not only did they NOT have a clue what they were doing (I tried to warn them!!!) but it was during their very cold snap they had. They didn't have a very good time. So....with that in mind - planning and patience will be key I think. But i also hear it's beautiful!!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Oh yes, it is certainly beautiful just extremely packed. Just plan well and use a lot of patience....

Loves the Mouse
06-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Thankyou for the reply ! Great advice to get to the parks early. There is no problem with my son and I getting there, it's the rest of our family who don't like getting up early. Well, if they don't join us early, then they are out of luck with the fast passes. It's good to hear that we can still get on the less popular rides. We were worried we would'nt get on any rides.
We went to the most popular rides first, then grabbed fast passes for another big ticket ride and then headed to the third. Great idea about going to lunch early. I will have some snack bars on hand to tide them over.
I see you went one year Jan 1-7 th, how were the crowds ? One good thing we are staying till Jan 6th. So i'm hoping it would be not as busy. But with the marathon that week you never know.

Loves the Mouse
06-10-2011, 09:10 AM
:blush:oops sorry MississippiDisneyFreak. I seemed to post in your quote. I tried to post in between you quotes, I quess I did it wrong. Thanyou you for the reply. Great idea about getting there early and grab fast passess. It's good to hear that we can still get on the least popular rides. I also like the idea about eating lunch early. I will pack some snack bars to tide them over. As for ADR's we can't call till July 2. I hope we can get a TS by then. Problem is we are going to stay at the Royal Pacific from Dec 26-29, then check into All Star Music Suites. So with this 180 days plus 10 ADR's, people who have been there since Christmas can reserve it earlier then us. At this point we are greatful to get any thing !

Loves the Mouse
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Our friends went this past Christmas week with their 2 girls aged 10-13 (first trip for the family) and not only did they NOT have a clue what they were doing (I tried to warn them!!!) but it was during their very cold snap they had. They didn't have a very good time. So....with that in mind - planning and patience will be key I think. But i also hear it's beautiful!!!!
Oh that's so sad about your friends. And being their first trip, makes it worse ! You will have to talk them into a redo trip. But this time to listen to any advice you give !!! I'm hoping also that there is not a cold snap like there was last year. At times it was colder down there then it was up here in the north. Being a northerner we want to get away from the cold, not go to it LOL.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
If you book in July you shouldn't have too many problems...you may have a little trouble with really popular restaurants or the getting exact time you want but you'll get some ADR's....

Oh the first week of January was great after the 1st...the crowds started dwindling the afternoon of the 2nd and rides were low wait times after that. It was a great time to go. If you are there that long you should be able to catch anything you missed early in the trip....:D

Jeff
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
We are very experienced Christmas Week attendees and have been the last 7 or 8 years during this time.

The first poster is absolutely correct - you must be at the parks as they open, and use fast pass wisely if you wish to ride the "big" rides. If fact, if you are at the parks as they open the first 90 minutes to 2 hours are very nice, after that watch out.

With a plan and expectations of huge crowds you will be fine and have a great time. We always do the big rides we think are musts then hit shows and smaller rides in the afternoon and evenings.

I also agree that ADR's are very important. A nice sit down meal about 1 or 2pm (when crowds are at their peak) is a nice break.

If you are there Christmas Day itself or New Years Eve be prepared for very, very heavy crowds. The fireworks are worth the visit at night though. We always hit MK Christmas morning bright and early, get a "traditional" family picture in front of the Castle (Micky Santa ear hats are a must) do a couple of things then take the Monorail to Epcot for the day. Leave the MK by 10am. We get a Candle Light Processional dinner package for La Cellier then see the processional - it is a great way to spend Christmas Day.

After getting to the parks early, have a nice mid day meal then take a break back to the hotel. Then head back to the parks for the evening to see a parade, a show or two and the fireworks.

WDW at Christmas time is amazingly memorable. Just be prepared.