PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day Six

Ian
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Okay ... today was the day DW and I had waited for ... DD's actual birthday being celebrated in Disney World! This was what all the planning, preparation, and secrecy was all about. And man, was she ready for it! Little did she know ...

Wednesday, May 25th - So pretty much everything we knew DD would want to do during this trip we set up. Her two favorite places to eat in Disney, no exceptions, are Chef Mickeys and Teppan Edo, so we had made breakfast ADR's at Chef Mickeys and dinner ADR's at Teppan Edo and then promptly told her we weren't able to get in to either place.

We dragged everyone out of bed early, let DD open her presents from her brothers and sisters (just clothes and stuff), told her she wasn't getting any other presents since the trip was her present from us, and then jumped in the car to drive to "Magic Kingdom."

We actually drove directly to the Contemporary, threw DD off the scent by saying we were going to do some quick shopping, and then headed up to Chef Mickey's. Surprise! DD was super-excited. She ain't seen nothin' yet ...

Now let me just tell you ... there is no question who DD's favorite person on Earth is. It's not me, it's not her Mother, her Grandmother, her Grammy ... it's her Aunt B. They are truly kindred spirits. Aunt B got DD to try sushi ... and like it. She's not actually her Aunt. Her and her husband S are our best friends, but they're really closer to us than most of DD's actual Aunts and Uncles, so ... 'Nuff said, I think.

Well guess what? Yep ... Aunt B. and Uncle S. were joining us for breakfast! They had flown in the night before and would be spending the next four days with us in the parks! They're our constant WDW traveling companions, and a trip to Disney just doesn't feel right without them there.

DD had no clue they were coming and had mentioned like about 100 times already on the trip that, "The only thing that could make this trip better is if Aunt B. was here."

So we're sitting in the waiting area and I see the two of them sneaking up (my Mom, her friend M, Grammy, and Uncle Ed had already joined us), so I distract DD until Aunt B. can come up behind her and slap her hands over her eyes in the age old "Guess who?" position. DD is stumped. She actually guessed that it might be her Pop-Pop, which threw a glare across Aunt B's face for just a second. Then I asked, "Who would you most want to see join you here on your birthday?" and she shrieked (as only a nine year girl can shriek), "AUNT B!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!"

Cloud nine, my friends. Cloud nine. So after all the freaking out had died down, we surprised DD with the rest of her gifts. All she would tell anyone that she wanted for her birthday was an iPod. We, quite naturally, told her no way. And yet there it was ... a shiny new iPod! Freak out number two ensued. Lastly, she opened her card from Mommy and Daddy which contained two tickets to see her absolute favorite, Taylor Swift, in concert here in Philly. Freak out number three. Although in all honestly, the gift freakouts really paled in comparison to her freakout over Aunt B. ;)

Anyway, eventually we actually are some breakfast and got some good time with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald. They took a whole group photo of us that actually turned out so good that we bought it, which we never do.

After we finished breakfast we headed to Magic Kingdom for real and took a spin on the TTA. DD wanted to ride Space Mountain, so we grabbed a FP and then waited for Buzz. The lines weren't especially long, even though we were later than usual, so by the time Buzz was done we were able to ride Space Mountain.

Now ... for those of you that have already listened to our most recent podcast, here's a part of my trip you've already heard a bit about. When I got in my rocket to ride SM, I took my sunglasses off my head and put them in the net bag. You know ... so I wouldn't lose them. But then, inexplicably, I got it in my head that I wanted to video the ride. This is possibly the stupidest thing ever, because really ... I've taped this ride two or three times before and the quality is just pathetically bad. I've never watched any of the other videos a single time. They're pointless. Just noise. But yet here I was for some reason with my Flip cam up and in front of me taping the fun.

What happened next? You guessed it ... I got so wrapped up with my videotaping that when we finished I hopped up and out and forgot to grab my sunglasses. DOH! And these weren't just any sunglasses you buy for like $10 at the Emporium. These were my Ray Ban P's that set me back north of $200. Ever since my LASIK surgery I have very light sensitive eyes and I need good sunglasses to be able to see. DOH AGAIN!

I ran right back out front to the CM manning the queue and told him what side I'd ridden, where I sat in the rocket, etc. and asked if they could look for them. He called up and said, "Oh yeah they found them. Go ahead through the line and pick them up.! YIPPEE!!! Or not ... not my sunglasses. These were, in fact, the $10 sunglasses you buy at the Emporium. Back to DOH! I never did get them back ... called Lost and Found a bunch of times and even had INTERCOT'S own Castmember X connect me directly with Tomorrowland Operations at one point. Nada. I really appreciated X's help, though. He totally went out of his way and I owe him one for sure.

Anyway ... I got over it and we headed up to get Fastpasses for Peter Pan. The return time was awhile away, so we hit Small World and then Haunted Mansion.

After that, I wanted to see if DS was big enough for Big Thunder Mountain so we wandered up to Frontierland and sure enough he was. The line was only 15 minutes long and so we waited and he got his very first ever ride on BTMR. He's 4 1/2 so to be honest he wasn't all that thrilled. I think he was pretty scared. Why? He cried most of the time we were waiting to board the cars and hid his head in Uncle S's lap for most of the ride. ;)

After BTMR we rode Pirates again and then used our Fastpasses for Peter Pan. By now we were darn hot and pretty tired, so another spin on the TTA seemed like just the thing. We actually ended up riding around three times just because it felt so good to sit!

By this time, it was getting close to dinner time so we headed back to the hotel to freshen up before dinner at Teppan Edo. Another surprise for the birthday girl!

I know it gets mixed reviews sometimes and I absolutely realize it's not much different than most of your local hibachi joints, but I always really enjoy Teppan Edo. Tonight was no different. I had the chicken/steak combo platter and of course it was yummy. I do miss the filet option, though. Another casualty of the dining plan, I guess. DW and I had called ahead and ordered a legit birthday cake for DS (pic below) so after we finished stuffing ourselves they brought out this absolutely delicious chocolate cake and sang happy birthday to her (in Japanese, of course). They even gave her her own chef hat to wear, which thrilled her to no end. If I had a dime for every time she declared this, "THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!" I could move to Disney World and live in a suite at the Floridian for the rest of my life. Totally worth it! Priceless, in fact.

After dinner we stuck around to watch RoE and then toddled back to the resort to crash. Great day ... one of the best ever for me. You just can't put a price on creating these kinds of memories with your family, let me tell you. It was simply awesome! :cool:

TinkerBellBebe
06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
So much Birthday fun! That cake is adorable. How did you order it. We are eating lunch at le cellier when we arrive in 30 days! It will be my Dads actual birthday as well as DH and I's actual 5th anniversary and I would love to get something like that.

Melanie
06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Omedetou Gozaimasu, Taylor! :party:

Great day, Ian!

Ian
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
So much Birthday fun! That cake is adorable. How did you order it. We are eating lunch at le cellier when we arrive in 30 days! It will be my Dads actual birthday as well as DH and I's actual 5th anniversary and I would love to get something like that.DW called Teppan Edo directly and arranged it with them. Kinda funny ... the woman who answered had a very hard time spelling DD's name and finally giggled and said to my wife, "I sorry ... I Japanese!"

wildernesslady
06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
What a great day for your daughter. She had so many surprises.

I've never been to Chef Mickeys for breakfast, but It's on our to do list. When we went to Teppan Edo in March, I had the filet. I hope it isn't gone forever, but it probably is.

Your daughter is having the birthday that never ends with still getting to see Taylor Swift. Enjoy!

buzznwoodysmom
06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
What a wonderful day you guys created for your daughter's birthday. Reading your report took me back to my son's 9th birthday that was celebrated in WDW this past March. We ate at Teppan Edo too, and he got the chef hat, which he loved! Isn't it wonderful to be fortunate enough to give our kids these kinds of special memories?!?! I'm so glad this was her "Best Birthday Ever". Now where have I heard that before????? Hahaha. Oh and so cool that Aunt B got to be there for the big day!

mouseketeer mom
06-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I love the birthday excitement!! You pulled off the best BD ever!! Now..what happens next year??;) How can you top this one? What a great day! On an aside, I took my girls to see Taylor Swift last May and it was such an amazing concert. Girl power all the way. Taylor came down by our seats and her Mom was handing out guitar picks to those close to her. Each of my girls got one. We're going back to see her in July at the Prudential Center in Newark. Can't wait for it again. Your DD will have a blast!

Ian
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Isn't it wonderful to be fortunate enough to give our kids these kinds of special memories?!?!It really is. There's not a day that goes by I don't think that thought, actually. DW and I are very, very blessed with a wonderful family and a wonderful life and we work very hard to share that with our children every day of our lives.

I love the birthday excitement!! You pulled off the best BD ever!! Now..what happens next year??;) How can you top this one? What a great day! On an aside, I took my girls to see Taylor Swift last May and it was such an amazing concert. Girl power all the way. Taylor came down by our seats and her Mom was handing out guitar picks to those close to her. Each of my girls got one. We're going back to see her in July at the Prudential Center in Newark. Can't wait for it again. Your DD will have a blast!We have good friends that weren't able to get tix to the Philly show that are going up to the Pru to see her. Should be cool. :cool:

I will say, though, that the seats DS has are not very likely to have Taylor or her Mom anywhere near them ... we bought tix through the fan club pre-sale and still ended up with nosebleeds. Her show was one of the fastest sellouts in Philly history! :eek:

yjgirl32
06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
GREAT Day! Love being able to surprise my ds.

slegrant
06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Wow! Great job on the birthday surprise:mickey: next year I plan on surprising my 15 year old son, we always go to WDW over the 4th of July and he has always wanted to be their on his birthday which is August 6th. So next year I am booking a small five day trip while still keeping our July reservations. Still working on how to surprise home...details to follow.

Again, great trip reports:mickey:

princessgirls
06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Ian,

WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!!!! Tears came to my eyes!!! A birthday of a lifetime!!!! How would you top that for 10???? Honestly, it's not even doing all of DD's favorites, it was the point that ALL of her favorite People were with her to Celebrate! That in itself makes such wonderful memories!!!!
I lost my Dad when I was still in highschool, I NEVER take for granted having family time, and making memories with our kids. That's what you take with you throughout your life!!

We are big fans of Teppan Edo too! It's fun, and always good, and the perfect place to celebrate. Chef Mickey's has that fun celebrate vibe to it, and is just classic Disney!

Wonderful Magical Day!! Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:
Julie:mickey:

faline
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
What a truly perfect day! No wonder it was pronounced the "Best birthday ever!"

Seems to me, though, you've now set a precedent that you'll need to repeat a couple more times!!!

emerzmom
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
What a great memory for your family and especially your daughter. WDW holds some of the best memories of my daughter growing up.
:tink: This is what the "magic" is all about!

pdrlkr
06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Nascfan
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Awesome birthday for your daughter! Kudos to you and your wife for setting it up and being able to keep the secrets. She'll remember this for the rest of her life. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi again Ian,..Taylor Swift is completely fan friendly, and she would "pop out" in the nose bleed section during her concert too. She was surrounded by bodyguards, but boy did she give those in the nosebleed section a treat of a lifetime when she came out up there, walking around and singing. Maybe your daughter will get lucky!

darthmacho
06-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Glad you pulled off the birthday surprise so well. Great times with family and friends. Thanks for sharing.

Mammabruski
06-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Holy Smokes! What a trip, and it's only day six of eleven. Wow.

How are the two little twins holding up? When my youngest DD was that age she had the hardest time sleeping away from home... But it seems at WDW that kids get so wore out from all the fun they sleep so well..

Can't wait to read the rest!:mickey:

DizNee143
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
what an absolute awesome birthday you guys created for her!! sounds like she and all of you really had a great day!! and i love both those restuarants also..espeically Teppan edo..yummmy!:mickey:

KylesMom
06-13-2011, 10:27 PM
How incredibly neat that this day went off almost exactly as planned, Ian. So often, we plan for days like this at Disney, and there's always some type of hitch. I can't imagine a more special birthday for DD, as well as for you, DW and all the friends and family involved.

Great day ... one of the best ever for me. You just can't put a price on creating these kinds of memories with your family, let me tell you. It was simply awesome!

That says it all! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
06-13-2011, 11:18 PM
This day was an absolute joy to read about. So glad that you had such a great day with your daughter and the rest of your family.

DisneyorBust
06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
''Best Birthday Ever"! So glad to read that your daughter had such a special day!

Dsnygirl
06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
What a GREAT day for your DD!! You guys pulled off some terrific surprises... she must have been on top of the world. :cloud9: Way to go... those are some priceless memories none of you will ever forget. :)

Off to read about day seven...

Edited to add... ummm... where IS day seven?? ;)

tsantillo
08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I still don't see day 7. Am I missing it or did we just get left hangin'? :shrug: