PDA

View Full Version : Arriving in 1-week - Questions?

BigRedDad
06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
I've never been to Universal and I am not sure what to expect. I usually avoid Orlando in the Summer like the Plague but college friends are getting together with all of our families.

We are staying at Royal Pacific so we have the early entry to WWOHP. Not sure how much we will use it this trip because we will have DD5 who won't really understand it.

Questions:
1. I know you need lockers for WWOHP. What do you do with a stroller at WWHOP?
2. Do they have a stroller parking areas like WDW does for most attractions?
3. Does Universal have misting areas or anything to cool off from the heat? I am thinking of having DD wear her bathing suit under her clothes so she can get wet there. For me, I do not care if I get drenched.

NJGIRL
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
They have stroller parking just like Disney.

Cooling areas..... this is an area where Universal out does Disney. Your 5 year old is going to love it. I would have her wear a bathing suit (just throw a shirt over it)and sandels each day.

The Studio has a Curious George water area that belongs in a water park. There are multiple buildings and each has water related activities. Then of course they have the two huge buckets that dump massive amounts of water on whoever is standing below. She will get soaked in this area so bring a towel with you and leave anything that can't get wet with someone who is standing in the safe zone.

IOA has three water rides (you will get soaked) that may be too much for your 5 year old, but they also have Camp Jurassaic which is a play area (like disney's) that have paths, bridges and caves. This area has mist shooting up from the ground along the paths and also has in the ground dino water guns to shoot. This is another wet area. Besides that, in Toontown you have two different things along the walkway that have water coming out of them. Again, these will soak your child if she gets under them.

I would still use the early entry even just to walk around and get a butterbeer before it gets crowded. Even if you don't want to do the whole ride go into the castle because it's cool to see.

BigRedDad
06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Thank you for the information. I am trying to get as much information as I can before heading down Tuesday night. I will not be bringing my big camera for this trip. I have been told it is much wetter there than at WDW. My camera insurance does not cover water damage. I do not want $2k worth of equipment damaged. I bought a waterproof P&S camera for the pool that works good enough for candid shots.

DD will want to get wet whenever and where ever she can. So the bathing suit under is the trick. We will just buy a towel in the park because she likes getting one.

NJGIRL
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
We will just buy a towel in the park because she likes getting one.

That's what we always do but since they are about $25 I didn't want to suggest that.

Make sure she does not wear socks & sneakers or be prepared to take them off and have water shoes or sandels that can get wet. There's nothing worse than wet socks and shoes. Just remember not to put flip flops on her becasuse if I remember correctly some rides don't allow you to get on with them.

And be prepared, my son, especially was he was younger, did not want to leave the Curious George area. After our first visit we put an hour time limit on that attraction because he could have easily spent all day there.;)

BigRedDad
06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Its going to be so crowded and so hot, running in there to play is something I am going to want to do :thumbsup:.

Question on flip-flops: does this go for adults as well? I do not plan on wearing shoes while on vacation at all. My daughter has Crocs.

NJGIRL
06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Question on flip-flops: does this go for adults as well? I do not plan on wearing shoes while on vacation at all. My daughter has Crocs.

I don't wear flip flops so I don't know first hand, but think I remember someone talking about not being allowed to wear them on the Forbidden Journey and the rollercoasters.

DVC2004
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Flip Flops- you have to take them with you if you taken them off. I wore mine on WWOHP and it was fine, they could fall off but I jsut sort of crossed my feet over eachother. They didn't require me to remove them. I did take them off on the Dragon Challenge Coasters. They would be easily lost there. They want you to take them with you so they suggest putting them in your back pockets- I did, and it was fine. Didn't lose them. I saw several lying on the ground at the end of the ride, so people do lose them!