PDA

View Full Version : Just Two Sisters, Final Day, Final Thoughts

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Saturday, May 28

Cast:
Me
My sister, C

6:00 a.m. came WAY too quickly. I had been awake until about 1:30, unable to sleep. So, it was rough being up so early. I got dressed quickly, and had a bite to eat in the room. We headed down to the lobby around 6:45 to the RAC desk to check in, get rid of our bags, and get our boarding passes. That was quickly done, and we went over to the front desk to check out (since we had not left a credit card on the account, we had to physically check out). When we were done with that, we headed out to the porch for a few minutes before our DME bus pickup time rolled around. I took some last pictures from up there, and it was a damp, sort of foggy morning (but already VERY humid and warm...I could tell it would be a hot day today). Our DME bus picked us up on time and we were at MCO within about 20 min. We had lots of time to kill, so C shopped in the Harley Davidson shop for a souvenir for T (who just bought his first Harley). She found a nice keychain for him and purchased it. We headed off to our gate and had a non-eventful filght up to Dulles Airport.

Final thoughts:

Boardwalk Inn-
Okay, this is hard for me to get across in writing, but the BWI just didn't do it for me. This was my first stay here. I hadn't even really visited it too much. Last year, we stayed at the Beach Club, and I had visited the pool area with my boys just to have a look around. At that time (and I commented on this in my trip reports last year), I just got a weird vibe from the place,and I swore I would never stay there, because it just didn't do anything for me. This trip was a very last minute thing. When I called for availability at the deluxes using the military discount, my only options were GF, Poly, WL, or BWI. GF was just way out of the budget...they quoted me a theme park view room. WL we've stayed at a few times before and wanted to try something new. It was between BWI and Poly. C wanted to try BWI, and I agreed since, price wise, it would work out better for us, and it offered something new. So, I dropped my preconceived notion of the resort and went in with an open mind.

The resort was beautiful, visually. It was clean and very well kept in the public spaces. The staff was all extremely friendly. In fact, the CMs here were among the friendliest I've encountered at the resort level. Room service was excellent the one night we had it, with prompt and friendly service. And, the beds were VERY comfortable, as C can attest to after spending so much time in hers. ;)

The location was great, but honestly, I like BC's location just a bit better. Epcot is really my favorite park, and the walk between it and BWI was just a wee bit too far. I liked the distance to BC much better last year. Plus, DHS isn't a park I tend to visit often, so being closer (walking distance wise) to DHS isn't really much of a plus for me. And, it was a longer walk to the Swan/Dolphin from the BWI as well.

One thing that annoyed me was how confusing the resort was to navigate (once you are inside). The hallways are long and winding, and there are hidden "secret shortcut" staircases all over, but you have to learn how to use them efficiently. We got lost a few times trying to get back to our room. There are too many entrances to this resort, and it's hard to get your bearings when you enter one door and end up somewhere you were not expecting. Plus, the lobby level lacks signage and it's sort of all like a big open floor plan, with rooms off to the sides that you just have to physically walk into to know what they are. Up until our checkout day, I was STILL getting turned around in the lobby, and whenever I wanted to go out to the Boardwalk. I don't like feeling so lost like that.

In all fairness, I can't really find too much fault with the resort itself. The only thing I was put off by was the shabbiness of the room, but that can happen anywhere, so that aside, the resort just didn't give me "that feeilng" that I get from some of the other WDW resorts that makes me feel like I am HOME. I know some of you will understand what I mean here. I get "that feeling" at the Wilderness Lodge, the Contemporary, and the Beach Club. The MINUTE we arrived at the Beach Club last year, I felt at ease, and like we were exactly where we belonged, and my whole family loved staying there! I also just never tire of either visiting or staying at CR and WL. Those two resorts are practically perfect, when I want an MK resort.

In the future, I'm going to go with my gut. That means, I will NOT stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Polynesian, or the Yacht Club. Those three properties give me the "negative vibe" feeling for whatever reason, and I'm going to trust in that! :mickey:

BUT, as a purely objective review, the BWI is a pretty fantastic hotel. C liked it, and said she'd stay there again. It is beautiful, and has a great location. I'd give it a slight edge in catering to adults without children, as the overall ambiance in there is sort of adult in nature and to be perfectly honest, the pool was sort of lame, after staying at the Beach Club.

As for the Club Level, if you can score a good discount, it's a nice perk. The lounge was very nice (albeit a bit small) and the food was very good, although it had a decidedly Mediterranean edge to it, which was mostly good, except when it was VERY bad (i.e. roasted beet hummus and lamb spanikopita) :ack:

Parks:
Busy. Busy. Busy. I would probably avoid this week in the future. Unfortunately, DH has made it known that he WILL attend Star Wars weekends at some point, so I might have to deal with it. However, we still had a good time. Our fellow guests, though...BAD BEHAVIOR was rampant, probably due to the sheer number of people around. There will always be bad apples, but I think Ian and I can share some stories from that week that would curl your hair. Honestly...not cool. Parks were clean, though, and the CMs were friendly too, so no complaints there.

Restaurants:
Almost everything we ate was really good, fresh, and satisfying. My advice is to AVOID the baked goods at Karamell Kuche. Apparently, Germany either hasn't discovered how to use ovens properly, or they are using all the butter in the delicious caramel, because those baked goods were dry enough to stick to the inside of your mouth. The standout star of the week was VIA NAPOLI. Oh, heaven. Just heaven. If you've ever wanted to eat REAL pizza at WDW, you have to go here...more than once! Whispering Canyon Cafe was also really great this time around. I preferred the relative quiet of the earlier dinner hour (5:15). We missed 'Ohana this trip, but it'll be a must do for next time.

Thanks for reading my reports! I've liked sharing them with you all. :mickey:

darthmacho
06-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Fabulous reports and great sum-up. Thank you for sharing! :mickey:

Melanie
06-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Was looking forward to your assessment of the hotel.

That means, I will NOT stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Polynesian, or the Yacht Club.

BUT...LOL! This means though we apparently don't have the same taste at all. LOVE AKL, the Yacht Club trumped Beach Club by far for us, and I'm dying to stay at the Poly (hopefully at LMNOP). So.......:funny:

But yeah, I think we'll still stick with WL for our January trip.

Thanks for your reports! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Natalie!-I'm sorry the reports are done. I so much enjoyed each installment. I don't care for BWI or even the whole boardwalk area in general. My DH feels the same. Its funny how you just know which resorts are a fit and which are not. We just can't seem to stay anywhere else but the Polynesian, and probably won't even try anymore. Too bad you didn't get to Ohanas...not sure if you've had it in the past, but try to get there next time for sure! Wondering how you liked your new home to be too...?!
Thanks Nat!

SBETigg
06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Great summary! I think you can trust your instincts on resorts, yes. Some of them, you just know it isn't your kind of place, even though they are favorites of others. Crowds, not my favorite, but sometimes worth facing if that's when you can go. I also love Via Napoli. Via Napoli and Sanaa are two of our new favorites. I hope the house-neighborhood exploring part of your trip went well, too.

Mackflava99
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I agree with some of the comments above,
the resorts are different for a reason. Different families have different things they enjoy.
If the Poly was DVC , I would be there more often, but we usually visit the resort 1-2 times a trip.
My wife LOVES BC. That is always her fav.
My kids and i love the BC too, but love WL more, basically because on the off park days, there is a ton to do. and you are very close to 2 other resorts, there are great bike trails etc.
It is a constant arguement as to which we visit. We have alot as much fun on the non park days as we do on park days.
For some reason my wife's vote seems to weigh more than the rest of ours.:) so we end up at BC alot. But i dont complain, because i LOVE the quick walk to Epcot.

This year we are stepping out of the box and going to BLT, I am worried that it may not be what we really want.

yjgirl32
06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Awesome reports- thanks so much for sharing.

Auntie B
06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Loved your reports! Thanks for sharing!

faline
06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes, we do all end up with favorite resorts. I've not stayed at Boardwalk though I did try to get a reservation there for an upcoming trip. I found myself getting all turned around and lost at Beach Club which has corriders that sound very similar.

Thanks for your terrific reports! I enjoyed "visiting" Disney World with you and your sister and am sorry she spent part of it feeling ill!

wildernesslady
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reports. You had some great sister time.

I liked my stay at the BW, but I was only there for 1 night. I like to try different resorts to see which is a good fit for my family. There are definitely some I do not need to return to. The WL will always be our favorite.

I agree with you on Karmel Keuche and Via Napoli. I'm glad you got to enjoy some yummy food.

princessgirls
06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Natalie for your reports! They were fun to read and I enjoyed them ALL!!!

Good tip on Kuche Karamell!! Can't wait to try a non-baked item from there!

My favorite resort is POFQ, just love the feel of that resort and how easy it is to navigate. I've never stayed in a deluxe, but I'm sure I would LOVE them ALL!!!! Yes, we all have our favorites!!!

Glad you had a nice time with "C" and made some memories with your sister. Hope your move to DC goes smooth.

Julie:mickey:

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Was looking forward to your assessment of the hotel.

BUT...LOL! This means though we apparently don't have the same taste at all. LOVE AKL, the Yacht Club trumped Beach Club by far for us, and I'm dying to stay at the Poly (hopefully at LMNOP). So.......:funny:

But yeah, I think we'll still stick with WL for our January trip.

Thanks for your reports! :mickey:

Funny Mel! I guess that's what I meant that everyone has some resorts they are drawn to and others, not so much. If it helps, C and I both agreed that WL is better than BWI, particularly during the colder months. It is just SO cozy and has the perfect ambiance what with the fireplace and all. Be sure to visit the Iron Spike room over at the Villas side. It's really a great space and you can see some of Walt's old model trains.

I'm not sure what it is about the Yacht Club, but DH and I both felt that it was just too formal for a vacation. DH said that it felt too much like a Navy club or something, and that he would feel like he had to dress formally if he was hanging out in there. ;) NOT his idea of fun on vacation. And, Poly doesn't feel "exotic" to us at all, because we are both from Puerto Rico, so Disney's attempt at "island paradise" just doesn't do it for us. :blush:

KylesMom
06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
It's been wonderful tagging along with yourself and "C". It sure was a bummer that she was ill at the beginning of the trip, but you finished with a memorable vacation. I bet the boys were over the moon to have you back home!

Thanks again for all the great reports! :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 02:34 PM
UPDATE:

C went to the doctor two days ago. Turns out, she has Bronchitis AND Strep throat! She started antibiotics and is finally feeling a little better.

Ian
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Our fellow guests, though...BAD BEHAVIOR was rampant, probably due to the sheer number of people around. There will always be bad apples, but I think Ian and I can share some stories from that week that would curl your hair.Ummm yeah ... I can't use the words I would normally use to describe the behavior I saw repeatedly, because this is a family site. Suffice it to say that there was more than one occasion per day where I could have easily gotten into a fistfight if I wasn't concerned about being tossed from the parks. :shake:

As far as BW goes, I'm going to have to disagree I think. We really, really liked it. I've stayed at all the deluxe resorts at one time or another, for varying durations, and quite honestly I really like them all. I'd agree that, between the two, I'd rather stay at BC, though.

pdrlkr
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Fabulous reports Natalie!. I had to smile at your comments about the Poly not appealing to you because of where you are from. The only resort I have absolutely disliked is the WL, maybe because I'm from the Great White North. That's what's so great about the variety! I'm glad your sister got some meds, and I hope she is well on her way to a full recovery!

We were down during the same period last year, and we came back determined to never revisit at that time again. Too busy, and the school groups were a huge turn off for us (though Star Wars WEekends rock! :darth: )

Now I've got to read Ian's reports to get his perspective!