PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the crowd with an ECV

Itchy
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't know how many of you have had the issue of either riding an ECV or pushing a stroller and trying to get through the crowds.

It seem like you are almost invisible.

Well on our last trip in May my lady friend had an ECV because of a bad knee. At first we could not get anywhere because everyone on foot would walk or stop right in front of us, Like Hello!!!!!

Well I tried something different. I ran a little interference for the lady friend. I walked 2 to 3 paces in front of her and guess what, we moved through the crowds pretty well.

It really made a lot of difference.. We get to try it out all over this Sept on our next trip.

Hope this helps some of you. :mickey:

Strmchsr
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Your strategy is about the only one that works from my experience. My DS10 also had to use an ECV last january because of a knee injury and we ran into the same thing. On his own he couldn't get through anywhere. As I walked in front of him the crowds parted. Of course, me being 6'4, 250 lbs probably helped that a little. :D

peemagg
06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Even with someone parting the crowds for me, I still had to be on alert constantly, because someone would walk in between us from time to time. People seem to think if there is an opening "Let's get in there."

Driving a ECV or wheelchair in a crowd can be mentally draining. You have to always be ready to stop short.

magicofdisney
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
We recently became stroller free and this is just one of the reasons I'm so happy. It never ceased to amaze me the number of people that would stop dead in their tracks, right in front of us. Occasionally I'd get in arguments because they blamed me for not having the foresight to avoid them. The asininity of their accusations drove me bonkers. I like your strategy.

alaMode
06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
DS and I travel to WDW w/o DH from time to time. DS uses his travel wheelchair, which is like a heavy duty stroller that I push. I can't tell you how many times people have tried to cut in front of me in a crowd, thinking that the space in front of me occupied by the stroller is actually empty.

One time a very tall man tried to step over my son while he was in the stroller. We were moving (slowly) at the time and the man ended up tripping and falling, narrowly avoiding kicking my son in the process! I was shocked when the man stood up and yelled at me, without apologizing for frightening my son and/or almost injuring him!

Thankfully, people in the crowd stood up for us, but ever since then I will go way out of our way to avoid a crowd!

peemagg
06-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Isn't it strange how every time that someone does something stupid and gets hurt, it is the fault of the ones with the stroller, wheelchair, or ECV?

It always amazes me when this happens.

Strmchsr
06-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Isn't it strange how every time that someone does something stupid and gets hurt, it is the fault of the ones with the stroller, wheelchair, or ECV? It always amazes me when this happens.

Agreed. Honestly, there's often fault on both sides. I've seen people in ECV's and (even more often) strollers being very inconsiderate and running people over. Then, as we've commented, I've seen people totally ignoring a person trying to get around on an ECV or with a stroller. Neither side is completely blameless. We all just have to watch out for each other.

Itchy
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I think for this coming trip I will get a portable siren that has the air horn mode on it and put it on the ECV.:bolt:

That might just work to clear the crowd...:blush:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I've seen both sides too.

When my Mom comes, she uses an ECV, and on her first trip, a child walked right into the side of the EVC. Luckily, no one was hurt, and the dad was very apologetic, but my Mom still felt awful.

On our next trip, I watched as a lady in an ECV ran right over the foot of a CM ... didn't seem to notice her at all.

It is hard, people are rushing, and don't see ... on both sides. We do try and "fan out" around my Mom, to clear her a bit of a path, so it makes it a bit easier.

Disney4us2
06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I think for this coming trip I will get a portable siren that has the air horn mode on it and put it on the ECV.:bolt:

That might just work to clear the crowd...:blush:

I have thought about doing that. :D I just didn't want to be viewed as a rude scooter person by others. My horn does nothing. I would only use it if someone was about to run into me. I may still get one.

Most people's vision is above where we as scooter/ecv users are sitting. so BANG, they run right into you.

I avoid the crowds by leaving either before or a while after fireworks for example. We go to DL quite a bit and I am used to manuvering through the crowds. DD loves the Aladdin show. We stay in the theater until almost everyone has pushed their way though the doors. I just walk out and get my scooter and am able to drive off without the crowd. I always wait after the parade crowds have dwindled down and then I am on my way.

Luckly, I have not had anyone actually run into me, or visa-versa. There have been close calls when someone stops suddenly where ever they happen to be.