PDA

View Full Version : Our Great FL Adventure part 1

EpcotChic23
06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
The family decided this year we are going to take a 2 week vacation to FL. The first week will be staying at my parents time share in Lido Key (Sarasota area) and the second week will be at WDW. Here is this cast for this lovley adventure.

Me- 31 yrs old, have been to WDW over 30 times
DH-35 never went to WDW until he met made and starting to love it.
DD- Almost two year old daughter this will be here first time at the Beach but 3rd time in Diseny (we are starting her young)
DF- My dad
DM-My mom
DB-my 25 year old brother.

Dates May 7th-May 20th

I will not go into too much detail about the first week since it is not in Disney but I will give you a breif overview.

We left Newark NJ on our 230pmnice flight. My father owns a very successful butcher shop and this is the first time we were able to get him to leave for a vacation on a Sat. The airport seemed empty. As we rolled to security I noticed one of the TSA agents looking at me weird. I asked whats up and he was like Im sorry but how old are you? He contiuned to tell me he was telling his co worker what a cute "girl" I was then he saw me pushing a baby stroller and he got confused. I nicely told him I am 31, and thanks for the compliment. We had so much stuff to put through security as stated before we were traveling with my almost two year old. So we had her stroller, her car seat, her diaper bag, my bag etc....you get the point. We did not feel rushed though which was good.

At the end of Sept my mom had her knees replaced so she needs to get pat down. Well while I was going through security my mom tried to help me and the TSA agent who was helping her meanly said don't talk to her. I was fine with that. Then while I was getting my shoes on I heard her ask my mom why do you have baby clothes in in your carry on? I looked up and said o b/c she is with me. And the TSA agent once again looked at me and started yelling at me. "I am NOT talking to you" Stay out of this conversation" She then started yelling at my mom saying why do you have baby clothes in your bag? My mom was like b/c I am with her she has a child and I am the grandma" SHe asked my mom again but why do you have the clothes? My mom got a little attitude back to her and said do you see all the stuff my daughter is carrying I am helping her. Meanwhile I am watching all of this and God knows why I ask the two TSA guys behind the security why does she have to be so mean about everything. Meanwhile my hubby is behind me telling me if I want to go on vacation let it go, but I didn't. The men were very nice an said they are sorry and how some of their co workes get a power trip b/c of their position.

We let our DD run around the airport to get all her energy out so she would sleep on the plane. We started boarding no special boarding for famlies so we waited our row to be called. We got called and started to put the car seat on the seat (we bought our DD a seat). Once we are setteled we wait another 30-40 min for late commers to come on the plane. Guy in front of us comes in 30 min after us goes about to store his carry on and without even asking starts to move our diaper bag somewhere else. My DH was like excuse me we kind of need that near us and points to our DD. My folks and bro are sitting a row behind us. Once we hit the sky DD sleeps and does now wake up to we land:cloud9:

We arrive at Tampa which is 1 1/2 hr away from Lido Key. We rent our cars. When we go to get our "mid size" car there are none on the lot. So they tell us just to take a mid size SUV....Sweet upgrade. We are renting a car for the first week and once we get to Disney we will return it.

That begins our first week there. Which was beyond lovely. Weather is amazing the gulf water is warm. Great shopping at St. Armands circle, took daughter to aquariaum saw family. Had a blast. Got a little cold while there but that did not stop me. Then in a blink of an eye the 14th appears we pack up our stuff say good bye to lido and drive the 2hrs hours to the Poly. Before we go grab one last starbucks for the drive. We rolled down our windows and headed our way to the happies place on earth YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:thumbsup:

faline
06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Well, the start of your vacation was very nice once you got past the rude interaction at the airport!

Can't wait to hear about the Disney portion of your trip!

KylesMom
06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
That's just crazy how rudely your family was treated by the TSA agents at the airport. I'm sorry that your trip started out on such an obnoxious note - but it got better in a hurry once you arrived in sunny Florida. What a great time with your family - the weather sounds like it was perfect for the week.

I'm excited to continue on with your large group to Disney World - Let's Gooooo! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
What a rude agent...glad the rest started well

biodtl
06-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I love Lido Key. We spent some time there on our honeymoon (plus some time at WDW), and had a wonderful time -great beach (we found a baby octopus in a seashell) and had one of the best meals we ever had in St. Armand's Circle.

pdrlkr
06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

princessgirls
06-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Good 'ole Newark Liberty...rudeness abound!!! Traveling isn't for the faint of heart, or feelings that is FOR SURE!!!

You are off to a great relaxing start!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie:mickey:

darthmacho
06-11-2011, 05:25 AM
You and your family are very patient. I literally flashed anger just reading about your experience and would probably have been arrested at the airport that day.

You should report the incident to their superiors, though you probably want to forget the whole thing by now.

T-Belle
06-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Geez.....what a power hungry TSA agent. Congrats on keeping your cool. Hope the rest of your trip is rudeness free.

slegrant
06-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Great start to your trip. Like you my family and I will be in St. Petersburg June 28th through the 30th seeing family and heading to the beach then July 1st we are heading to our favorite place WDW:mickey:

Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Ramblingman
06-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I am so happy for you that the initial rudeness did not carry over to any other part of your trip (at least so far). Hopefully that will be the worst of the trip and you'll enjoy the rest.