PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Timing Day 4

MOJoe
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Wednesday, May 25th

Last night was the first time we all went to bed at anything like a regular hour. So everyone was awake early this morning and ready to go. Everyone, that is, except Minnie. She has been dragging her feet this week. I chalked it up to the fact that she has not been walking enough to be ready for a Disney trip. But the real answer became apparent this morning. Minnie is sick. She has caught at cold, has a slight fever, and doesn't feel like doing anything.

Today was supposed to be our day at Epcot. But with their mother incapacitated, the boys sieze the moment. "We want to go to Animal Kindgdom and ride Everest!" Indy has never been on Everest, but has heard of my park opening races to the ride with his brother. Today, he has finally summoned the courage to try it with us. I ask my wife, "Is this O.K.? Do you mind just staying here in the room?" "You guys go ahead. You can cover twice the ground without me." She says. "I need to rest some, anyway."

I hate leaving Minnie behind, but there isn't much i can do for her. She is already back in bed as we are ready to leave. "We won't be gone too long." i tell her. So with that, the boys and i take the bus to AK. We get there around 8:30. Indy is hungry, and i need my coffee, so we get snacks at the kiosk outside the gates. Our cookies are so dry we can't eat them. My latte is good, but after a couple of bites we throw the cookies away.

The pre-show starts just in front of the turnstiles. Not out by the Tree of Life, where we have seen it before. It's a good change. I never could see which character was waving to me from way over there anyway. Our plan for this morning is to run straight to Everest. Apparently, that is the same plan for half the crowd, as that many turn right as we all enter the park.

We get to Everest and walk through the queue. I am surprised Indy has not shown any jitters. I think that if we stop for a moment here, he may come to his senses and realize what he is about to do. But no. After a coupe of trains are filled, it's our turn. Indy loves it! Unlike Space Mountain, where he was not sure, Everest is an immediate hit. "Let's go again!" he yells. So we get back in line and ride again, and again, and again. With each ride, i try to "inspect" the Yeti. The lighting is poor, but he looks like he's in a crouching position, and not moving. Besides that, this is a great ride.

After that, we decide to get a fastpass for later, then go the Safari. The wait at KS's is posted at 30, but jumps to 60 as we are walking up. Return times for fastpasses are only 60 minutes later too, so this is a no-brainer. I look at my Everest fastpass see that i can get another one in just 1 more minute. So as our perfect timing would have it, i get 4 more fastpasses.

With a little time to kill, i tell the boys i want to ride Dinosaur. Minnie hates this ride. Way too jerky and loud. For that reason, we have skipped this one for years. But now i have an excuse to go. So we cross the park and walk up to a nearly empty attraction. It's mid-morning and there is no one in line. I take a few pics of the boys and the impressive dinosaur skeleton, and we continue on in. There is a couple of families with young kids in strollers watching the video with us. "Hope we are not riding with those kid's." I whisper to the boys. "Their screams may be louder than the explosions." Luckily, we are separated as we start our voyage back in time.

Maybe i don't remember just right, but i could swear this ride was different than before. I remember it being quite hot inside, and terribly loud. With meteorite explosions and dinosaur screams. Frightening for even adults. But this time, it was turned down a couple of notches. Still a jerky ride, just not as intense as i remember.

Satisfied that i had seen another attraction we normally skip, we headed back for our Safari. KS is a nice attraction, if you get some good animal interaction, or if you have a good driver. Today we had both. Our driver was knowledgeable and witty. He stopped once, while some large hoofed critter was doing some "personal business" so "everyone can take a picture for a postcard." And some giraffe kept darting in front of us, back and forth along our route, once getting so close to our truck it looked like we could touch him.

After our Safari, we used our fastpass for Everest. Indy, proud of his accomplishment, decides he needs a cap from the giftshop, so we pick one out. I call Minnie from there, tell her we are done, and that we'll be back to take her to lunch in about an hour. Good thing i padded our time, because this is the first time we wait more than just a couple of minutes for a bus. This time it's around 20. And even though Blizzard Beach has only been opened 2 hours, we have to stop there to pick up returning guests. Not that there were any.

Back at the resort, Minnie is ready for lunch. Not wanting to go anywhere, we decide just to eat at Roaring Forks. Minnie and i split a salad and sandwich. The boys have flatbread. It's all good.

After lunch, Solo and Minnie want to relax in the room. Indy is ready for a swim, so i get my trunks on and join him for a few minutes. But it's not long till the call of the Trout Pass Bar is unbearable. I get some Moosehead and relax at the bar. Recognizing me as a return guest, and not being too busy, bartenders Stewart and Johana engage me in conversation. Stewart, i find out, that while his name tag says London England, had moved to Joplin MO as a young boy. His childhood home has most certainly been destroyed by the recent tornado. Johana's tales are much less serious. She told me of how once, after a hard day, had come home and wanted a margarita. She poured her mix out of a container where she kept it, used the last bit of tequila, and sat down for a drink. Her first sip was spewed out all over the living room. "What did you put in my margarita mix container?!" she gasps to her husband. "Chicken stock." And that's how Johana's Chicken Stock Margarita was invented.

After Indy is done swimming, we go back to the room. Minnie and Solo are both asleep. We quietly clean up and get out. Since dinner tonight is at LeCellier, Indy and i go ahead and head to Epcot. The lines for Test Track and Soarin are long, so we decide to visit Figment. Indy also wants to see Captain EO again. I call My wife and tell her she needs to get going, and we'll meet at LeCellier.

Indy and i hang out in the general area. And i get the chance to see quite a bit of Off Kilter before Minnie and Solo show up. We check in, and go down the garden path to the restaurant. There is a young couple seated at the entry. They are both dressed in white and look to be just married. "Will you take our picture?" the girl asks. "Sure." As i get them in focus i say, "You look wonderful. Just like newlyweds." The girl's expression contorts in shock, just as i take the picture. "Let me see that." She says. Sure enough, i capture a very Off Kilter photo. "Sorry, could you take another. Your comment really caught me off guard." I apologize and oblidge. Hey, it looked like a duck and acted like a duck, till i called it a duck. Hope i didn't ruffle too many feathers.

We are seated just a few minutes later. I have been looking forward to this dinner for a while. And i guess my eyes were bigger than my stomach. We all gorged on Pretzel Bread and Chedder Cheese Soup. Had Mushroom Fillets and a couple of sides. So much food, we couldn't eat it all. But we tried, because it was so good. Really, this ended up being the 2nd best meal of the week. Edged out by Narcooses. But the steak here is the best. Wonderfully prepared and higher quality than elsewhere.

After a great dinner, we linger around the pavillion. We find a spot to see Illuminations right on the steps to the giftshop. A very nice view. We Look right through a wide area between two groups of trees. After the fireworks, Solo wants to go to ESPN for the NBA semi-finals. But i know Minnie is not up for that. So we meander back to the bus stop.

Back at the Wilderness Lodge, Minnie and Indy go back to the room. Solo and i stop in the Lounge and try to get the latest scores on all the games. I have one more Moosehead, and Solo has a Sprite. It's not the ESPN Club. But it does the job. After our drinks, we retire to the room as well.

Today has been fun for me and my sons. And Minnie, though not feeling well was still able to get out and enjoy dinner and fireworks. So not a total washout for her either. But getting sick while at Disney is hardly perfect timing. I hope everything is back to normal, that is our incredibly lucky normal, tomorrow.

faline
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
So sad Minnie is not feeling well! Hope she is back to her normal self really fast!!

KylesMom
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm so very sorry that Minnie is not feeling well. However, it sounds like you had quite a memorable time with the boys at AK between the repeats on Everest, a cool experience on Dinosaur & a good guide on KS. Thanks for the 'back story' on the Chicken Stock Margarita. I wonder how true it is, but it's a great story! :D

Thanks for sharing your LeCellier dining experience both here and in the dining forum. This has long been one of our favorite dining establishments, and one we're excited to hear continues to serve a great dining experience.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Minnie is able to get back on her feet tomorrow! :mickey:

yjgirl32
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Poor Minnie- hope she feels better soon. Great day.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the report, sorry Minnie wasn't feeling well

pdrlkr
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry your wife was feeling sick. ..but she made it to Le Cellier and thats terrific!! Thats funny about the photo in Canada...haha!!

darthmacho
06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
:ill: Must stink being sick at WDW, but at least you made the best of it an got 1on1 time with your sons. Thanks for sharing.