PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day Three

Ian
06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting ... had a bunch of stuff going on that slowed me down, but I'm back now. And without further ado, day three!

Sunday 5/22 - Since we wanted to get to Magic Kingdom pretty early, we decided to just grab breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery. I wish I could say it was a good choice, but really? Blech. It was very slow and pretty lousy. The pastries and stuff were fine, but I had something that alleged to be a ham, egg, and cheese croissant that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I don't really know where Disney procures the "cheese" they use in their breakfast sandwiches, but I've found that it carries the quite unpleasant odor of unwashed feet. The taste isn't much better. :ack:

Slightly nauseated but full, we headed over to MK where I got a text from Mel that she and her DS were also waiting at the gates. Before I could even respond, I heard voices behind me and there they were! It was pretty crowded, too, so I'm not quite sure how she found us so easily ... must be all that podcast chemistry! We had a nice chat while we waited for park opening and Mel got to meet our twins for the very first time. In fact, I think it was her first time meeting DS, as well. Mel used to live up near us in MD and we got together at quite a few INTERCOT meets back in the day, so she'd met my oldest before but since her global jaunt out to Tokyo and her relo to FL we've expanded the family a lot and haven't gotten another chance to see her. I think her DS was an infant last time I saw him! It was really cool to catch up.

That former infant was bound and determined to ride Splash Mountain, so as soon as the crush of people started moving through the gates he and Mel said their goodbyes and booked it to Frontierland. Having the little ones, we decided that Peter Pan was where we wanted to be. We rode that pretty quickly and then rode Small World. It was easy to see it was going to be a fairly busy day as the lines were building quickly.

Since the trip was for DD's birthday, DW and I were a bit worried that DS might feel left out. She decided it would be cool to get him an appointment to get his hair cut at the Main Street Barber Shop. The appointment was at 10:30, so by the time we got off Small World it was time for us to head down there. They took DS in pretty quickly and while we were waiting I got a text from another ICOT friend, TracyL. She was in MK looking for us, so I gave her our present GPS coordinates (lol) and she was able to track us down at the barber shop.

A quick side note here and potential word of warnng ... the haircut on Main Street thing is really cool and I got some great video of DS but there was one thing that seriously rubbed me the wrong way. DS wanted his hair "spiky" so once the cut was finished the woman who cut his hair asked me if I wanted gel for him. I said sure (since I'm not sure how else you'd spike hair without gel? :confused:) and she said, "Do you want colored or regular?" I asked DS and he said he wanted green, so I said green. Great. She greens him up, sprinkles in some "pirate dust" and we head over to the register to check out. A haircut is $15 for a kid, so I hand her a $20 (the haircut plus a $5 tip). Imagine my unpleasant surprise when she tells me the colored gel is an extra $7.50???? Now listen, had she told me upfront it was an added charge I wouldn't have really cared. I might have been slightly put off that a dime sized dollop of gel was 50% of the cost of the entire haircut, but you know it's Disney right and I'm trying to make the boy feel special. But she didn't even mention it! And as best I could see it wasn't on any of the signs anywhere (although I'll admit I could have missed it). I didn't say anything and I just paid the money, but her tip suffered accordingly ... I'll just leave it at that.

After listening to me rant about the $7.50 gel for a bit, Tracy and I caught up while we tracked down the rest of the fam. DS had his green hair appropriately fussed over, and then we all decided a ride on Pirates was in order. Tracy and I go way back and happen to have the distinction of having been quoted in the same book (Disney War ... check it out!), so we have a bit ofa unique Disney bond. It's rare that I get to see her because she's living down with The Mouse now, so I really enjoyed having time to chat again. Miss ya, Tracy!

After our Pirates ride, I was itching to check out the new HM queue, so we all walked up to Liberty Square to take a look. Ms. Goldsbury was texting me again that she was in MK, so we arranged to meet up on the bridge from Liberty Square to the hub as soon as our HM ride was done.

I thought the new HM queue was very nicely done. I mean I'm still not in love with the idea that they spent all that money to redo a queue that appeared to be fine before, but hey ... it's a nice plus. The new hitchiking ghost finale was a huge win with the fam, as well. Everyone raved about how cool the new effects were and Tracy was kind enough to share a little inside info she had gleaned from a Manager who'd given her a little tour of the queue shortly after it opened. All I'll say is, check the back of the head of one of the new busts they added ... cute touch. Nicely done, Imagineers! :mickey:

After the Manse, we actually did get to meet up with Cara and chat her up a bit. DW is a travel agent and Cara is running her own agency now, so they got to talking shop for a bit. Cara was on her way home, though, so we didn't tie her up for too long. It was good seeing her, though. Over the years I've known her she's become a friend and it's fun hanging out even if it is just for a bit. It was funny, though, my Mom had just finished reading Cara's book (Luxury Guide to Walt Disney World) and actually had it back in her room. I still haven't lived it down that she had a chance to get her book autographed and I never mentioned that Cara was meeting us! Oops! :blush:

So once we bid adieu to Cara, it was down to ride the TTA. On the way, we quick grabbed some Fastpasses for Buzz. We had lunch reservations at the Plaza at 2 or so, so we knocked out TTA, took a quick spin on the Carousel of Progress, used our Buzz Fastpasses. And then walked down to have lunch. Tracy was able to join us for the meal, which was really cool. Love the Plaza by the way. I think it's a hidden gem in Disney that not many people talk about, but I had an awesome milkshake there that went really well with my chicken sandwich. Not only that, but we got to sit in the super-cool, great-for-people watching section in the back there. Loved it!

After lunch Tracy headed off to home and we opted to head back to the hotel to swim. Like many kids, mine had rapidly decided that the Boardwalk pool was the best part of Disney World and they were anxious to get back to swimming. We swam, lounged around, and relaxed for a bit before cleaning up and getting ready to head to Epcot.

I gotta say ... I know there are a ton of folks who complain about people with strollers, but as a guy who's pushed a lot of strollers in my time I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the people walking in the parks who don't look where they're going!! I was run smack dab into not once but twice while walking over to Epcot. Both times the people were totally not paying attention, ran directly into me, and then gave me a dirty look! Trust me, they got one back in spades ... People SO stupid sometimes, I swear.

We didn't have any plans for dinner, but everyone was hungry by now so we used the Disney mobile app and scored reservations at Nine Dragons. I had some seriously good Kung Pao chicken for dinner and everyone else really, really enjoyed their meals, as well. I know some folks are underwhelmed by Nine Dragons, but I've never had a bad meal there. Dessert is always a bit disappointing, but hey ... you can't have everything right??

We were beat after dinner, so we just browsed around the shops for a bit and then headed back to the resort for bedtime. We left Mom behind to watch Reflections of Earth, though, because she's a pure fireworks addict and just can't get enough.

Overall, a crowded but pretty good day in the parks ... next up is day four and a trip to Epcot for the ritual rush to Soarin'!

faline
06-05-2011, 03:27 PM
You certainly managed to meet up with quite a few folks during the course of the day!

Now, I'll have to examine the backs of heads in the Haunted Mansion line - hope I don't forget as my next trip isn't for a while yet!

Love those milkshakes at the Plaza! I've never been in that back area but it does look like a cool place to sit!

RedSoxFan
06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a very nice day -- and cool to meet up with people from Intercot!! I agree, that is one expensive dab of gel for DS hair. But I bet he looked cute with his green hair.

mouseketeer mom
06-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Whats on the back of the head? Whats on the back of the head?????? I can't stand the suspense!

buzznwoodysmom
06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, that's some expensive hair gel. So great that you got to meet up with so many Intercot friends today.

Melanie
06-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Wow, a full day of meeting up indeed! I hope it didn't seem as if we wanted to rush out on you guys. Wasn't the case at all. I'm just funny about possibly intruding on other folks' vacations. It was great to see you all and to meet all the new little ones and your mom. :thumbsup:

Glad we ran into you guys briefly again to see Jake's finished product. So cute (even with the extra $$). Wish I'd done that for my boys when they were younger.

Ryan and I ate at Nine Dragons a couple of months ago for the first time, and we really enjoyed it, even though we FROZE in there! But yeah, I don't get the bad rap it often gets either.

Enjoying your reports!

Ian
06-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Ha ha ha ... yeah, Mel, it's funny you say that about freezing in Nine Dragons because it was ice cold when we were in there, too!

They must love their AC there. ;)

yjgirl32
06-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow you packed a lot into today. I think it would be pretty cool to run into fellow intercotees. Thanks for sharing. I assume you were talking about Sidney Crosby when you said you wouldn't give your meal to your worst enemy! LOL

princessgirls
06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Ian,

Enjoyed your trip report! A crowded, but productive day!!! Nice you got to meet up with some fellow Intercot "peeps". FUN!! Maybe I'll have to order an Intercot tee-shirt for my upcoming trip!
I agree, I don't like those "hidden fees" like $7.50 for hair gel. Really...$7.50 that's just a plain 'ole shake down for more $$$$. Disney should be ashamed. As Fred says...It will reflect in the tip!
Good tip about the plaza. Never dined there.
Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
What a great day for catching up with some old ICOT friends, Ian, while still being able to enjoy your family. I couldn't agree more about The Plaza, we usually have a few meals here each trip. This is the only place we always order dessert!

Glad you made a special memory for DS today ... like Mel, I too wish we would have done this for DS when he was younger.

Thanks for sharing all the details of another Disney day! :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Sounds like I'm going to have to try the Plaza one of these days!

That's disgraceful about the hair gel. How much of an effort is it to let you know the price up front? :confused:

Why do you keep eating breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery? Don't you have a full kitchen in your villa? You must be a glutton for punishment. I avoid anything at WDW that says "egg" in the name, unless I physically can see the egg being cracked open and cooked in front of me. ;)

Sounds like Nine Dragons is a good spot for a decent meal. Again, another one I'll have to try one of these days.

Thanks for another great report!

Ian
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Why do you keep eating breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery? Don't you have a full kitchen in your villa? You must be a glutton for punishment. I avoid anything at WDW that says "egg" in the name, unless I physically can see the egg being cracked open and cooked in front of me. ;)You might be waiting a long time for that, because I saw the woman making the scrambled "eggs" at Boma for the buffet and it involved a massive plastic bag filled with what appeared to be some type of yellow liquid. I highly doubt it was egg. ;)

Honestly it was just the convenience ... after the third time, though, I gave up.

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
You might be waiting a long time for that, because I saw the woman making the scrambled "eggs" at Boma for the buffet and it involved a massive plastic bag filled with what appeared to be some type of yellow liquid. I highly doubt it was egg. ;)

And that is why I've never eaten an egg at WDW. :D

I only like mine scrambled, and I've yet to see even an omelet station using fresh eggs.

slegrant
06-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Great report! Looking forward to reading more. My family and I also love the Plaza, the milkshakes and the people watching:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll have to remember to look at the back of their heads on HM.....

pdrlkr
06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

darthmacho
06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Fabulous day at MK, despite the shady business at the barber shop over the gel. I imagine the CM didn't mean any harm, but they ought to train them to be forward over additional costs. I suspect the management tells them the exact opposite. (Can you tell I'm a union worker yet?)

Glad to hear you liked the HM additions, I was also a bit skeptical, now I look forward to seeing them.

As for he strollers, I'm glad I don't have to use them anymore. I always felt they were a pain to use. My DW says she misses it though, because she used to like to pile gift shop stuff in it, and now she has to carry it. LOL. Now we just get stuff delivered to the room.

I'm also glad to hear you like Nine Dragons. We ate there in 2003, and I think it' unfairly maligned. We didn't have one bad bite of food there that day. Please tell me though, that you ate with chopsticks?! Seriously, all food, not just Chinese, tastes better when you use chopsticks. :cloud9:

DisneyorBust
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Despite the crowds, minus those who don't look where they are walking, you all seemed to have made it into a great day. Nice to read that you were able to meet up with your friends, always great to see friends in WDW.

DizNee143
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
another good day!:mickey:
wow i cant believe they charged that much for some colored hair gel! crazy!
im nervous about having to use a stroller in disney for the first time when we go next year..like you said..way to many oblivous people walking around!

January-2007
06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Dsnygirl
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Sounds like it was a fun day w/ friends, and I'm with your mom... can't ever get too much RoE. :thumbsup:

(and PS - thx for the tip about the Barber Shop... that is crazy! My girls haven't had their hair done there yet, but we're thinking about it for fun in August... let's just say we'll steer clear of any color... :rolleyes:)

Heading off for day 4...