PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs at Resorts?

marlyn
06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi, I am planning a trip next year for my mother's 78th Birthday. She is able to walk fine, and does not use a wheelchair at home, but she has a heart condition that would make walking all around the theme parks in the heat too difficult for her. She would require a wheelchair that she could use to get around park but is capable of transferring for rides, buses, etc...

I once read something about getting wheelchairs at your resort? Am I correct? Is it better to get one from home and bring it? She doesn't need an ECV, just a chair to use when required.

If we bring one from home, has anyone had trouble with them being taken while on a ride?

Claudielou
06-05-2011, 12:15 PM
We found the easiest way was to rent one and have it waiting at the resort. My mother is 82 so we have to have a wheelchair or we'd never get anywhere! You can get the name of a company from Disney to contact. The first year we rented one at the parks every day, but couldn't leave the park with it, even to get to the bus. Then when we got back to the resort we had a long walk to our room.

Daisy'sMom
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
The wheelchairs at the resorts are only for the resorts. You can rent a wheelchair each day at the park you are in.:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I would either bring one from home (if you have one), or rent one from an outside company, so you have it available at all times, and she can choose to use it whenever it is needed.

I really wouldn't count on getting one from the resort. We had a bit of an issue last trip, DD turned her ankle and although there was no great inury, it was really sore and we asked about borrowing a chair at the front desk to take her back to the room, and got quite the talking to before she let us have one for 15 minutes (no more!)

peter's #1 fan
06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I used a wheelchair for my entire 12 day trip last year from Pop. I asked if we could take into the park and they said no problem.

Mickey'sGirl
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Lynne, I would be tempted to rent one at home to use in getting your Mom around the airports, as well as to have at both the resort and the parks when you arrive. It's a long trek from your part of the world to sunny FLA, and it would be a shame to wear your dear Mom out before she even arrives!! :mickey:

My Mom was wheelchair bound, and we always used her own chair without issue when travelling.

marlyn
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes, Jennifer, it is a very long way and the airports can sometimes require a ton of walking just to get from gate to gate. I will look into what is available here and if hat doesn't work will rent one in Orlando. Apple scooters seems reasonable for wheelchair rental and they deliver to resort.

Claudielou
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
We have flown with my mother and the airline always has a wheelchair available. When checking you we just request help and they have a person bring the wheelchair and take her wherever we need to go. It has actually been great when we were unfamiliar with the airport. They always know how to get to your gate. We have flown with American and Southwest.

ransam
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
YOu dont' want to bring your own, too bulky, and dont' rent one from the resorts. you can only use it there, and it can be pricey. But what i would do is rent from apple. it will be at your resort when you get there, and just leave it at the resort when you leave. you can use it anywhere in the park.

Disney Hungarian
07-27-2011, 01:54 AM
My mother has her own wheel chair and I always take it to WDW. I have never had an issue at all. She uses it as a walker to keep her steady when she wants to walk and sits in it when she can't. I have never had any issues with bringing her own chair anywhere. Not to say that it can't happen. Just saying that it has not happened yet. :thumbsup: