PDA

View Full Version : June or August?

DisneyFr33k
06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Our family suffers from a real addiction to Disney. We're having to slow down our visits to save money for college and will try to plan our next trip in 2-3 years.

Due to our kids switching from year round to traditional school, we will have to plan this next visit during the summer months. We've been spoiled going only in October and November in the past several years.

Questions:

June or early August - which would be better crowd-wise and weather?
How do crowds compare to October?

We'll miss the Food and Wine Festival! :(

buzznwoodysmom
06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
If you can go in early June that's what I would do. We've been the week of June 13th (my birthday) for the past 3 years and weather and crowds have been very manageable. August is probably going to be the hottest month to go. The heat and humidity will be awful by then. Also keep in mind that many schools aren't yet out in early June. Here in the south the kids get out sometime around Memorial Day, but up north many schools go till mid June.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure about the crowds, but as to weather June would probably be better. They will both be hot but August will be extremely hot and humid with a higher chance of hurricanes.

darthmacho
06-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Our new month is August, not by choice, but because it's the only way we can afford to go without taking the kids out of school.

August is a HOT and RAINY month in WDW. I guess if June was an option, I'd go then, but I hear Star Wars weekends are crowded. :mickey:

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
For some reason, I don't recall August being as humid as July. It seemed dry by comparison.

Summer is HOT though, early July has insane crowds. Rain (torrential downpours actually) pretty much like clockwork in the afternoon. We've never experienced days of rain like others mention at some of the off times, I'm sure it happens, but I've not seen it.

We used to go around the 4th, and that would still be my choice. The holiday is done nicely and the park hours are tough to beat. You get an early hurricane and if it's strong enough, it can wreak havoc in central Florida for a while. Going earlier is better in that case.

DisneyFr33k
06-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Also keep in mind that many schools aren't yet out in early June. Here in the south the kids get out sometime around Memorial Day, but up north many schools go till mid June.

Good point. We live in NC and most traditional schools are out by June 10 and being a teacher, my workdays would be over by June 14.

They will both be hot but August will be extremely hot and humid with a higher chance of hurricanes.

Good point. I have forgotten about the increased risk of hurricanes!

but I hear Star Wars weekends are crowded. :mickey:

Isn't Star Wars weekend in May? Or am I thinking of something else?

Rain (torrential downpours actually) pretty much like clockwork in the afternoon. We've never experienced days of rain like others mention at some of the off times, I'm sure it happens, but I've not seen it..... Going earlier is better in that case.

Yes, I've heard about these rains and only have experienced it once during our October visit - when a cooll front moved through.

I appreciate all your feedback. We'll lean towards June - as soon as we can go. And, I assume we need to plan extra days in case crowds are high and we need to split a park over two days?

Also, can we book the resorts now for 2014 or they only booking into earlier years?

Thanks again! :rocks:

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 10:34 AM
hehe You've never gone when it's crowded it seems...

Soarin' can have a 240 minute wait without blinking an eye. Peter Pan has similar.

I'd plan on two days in MK and 2 days for Epcot (Epcot is always a two day park due to the amount of walking IMHO). If MGM is your thing, plan on a full day, we only go for lunch however usually and maybe hang out around the Boardwalk area until Fantasmic. AK is under rated if you ask me and I can spend 3 or 4 days there. But going commando can probably finish it off in a 1/2 day, but I'd allow a full day to catch everything in the summer. It's hotter than the other parks (noticably).

The crowds make everything take longer than you're used to. Even snack shops have lines most of the time. With the heat even walking takes longer, not only the crowds, but the heat is even more draining. If you're like most, you'll be stopping often just to cool down and get your bearings.

CanadaLovesDisney
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Because you are self proclaimed disney addicts you will make either work to your advantage. June = heavy crowds or august = heavy heat...We found mid June really crowded. August is hot however we used to go alot in august and no hurricanes. Sure it usually rains an hour in the afternoon at random but at least it cools you down! We prefer September to any month because of the low crowds however law school calls! Whichever you decide I'm sure you will have a great time! :mickey:

gaffz70
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
We have been going the 3rd - 4th week in August and have found that it is less crowded the later you go in Aug. I think it's b/c the southern schools go back early. Both times are hot, so we opted for the lighter crowds

Dsnygirl
06-06-2011, 09:35 AM
One other thought on this... since there definitely is a financial aspect to these trips for you (as there is for us -- we're saving for college, too... ;)) I would recommend not only looking at the weather, but the prices, as well.

Anything past June 2nd (this year, similar dates in past years) is considered "summer season" and thus priced MUCH higher. (moderate resort $185/nt wkday, $200/nt wknd)

If you wait until mid August (after Aug 13th this year, similar in past years) the prices drop quite a bit. (moderates @ $159/nt wkday, $169/nt wknd)

As well, there has been "free dining" offered almost every mid-August for the past few years, which is a HUGE savings for a family, esp. with 4 or more children., and most especially if those children are 10 or older.

But even without free dining, there are always specials being run on room rates, etc.... and they're better for mid-August and on, primarily b/c of the weather and local kids going back to school, etc.

We're giving August a shot this year for the first time, for the same reasons you're considering summer trips... our girls are past the age we feel we can comfortably take them out of school for a week or more, and we want to go as economically as possible so that we can go more frequently. :D

So, I'd re-consider August if you'd like to try to go more than every 2-3 years... the benefits might outweigh the potential storms and humidity, and might get you back sooner. (Ask me when we get back in September.... we'll see how we feel about it then... :blush:)

Good luck w/ your decisions... never completely easy, picking your dates, but fun!